Just Walking the Pups … and Knocking Down Walls

16 Oct

Well, I didn’t man to knock down a wall, I was actually stripping wallpaper off it. And a very tricky, sticky job it was too. Then a little crack appeared, so I tapped it and a little hole appeared. So I tapped it. And before I knew it, I really shouldn’t have bothered spending all that time carefull stripping the paper off, as the wall fell down. Well, strictly speaking it fell off, but either way…it’s another job for Big Man.

IMG_20131016_150919

At least the pups weren’t bothered by the dust and noise, they just made themselves a little nest of warm sticky wallpaper and bedded down for a snooze.

IMG_20131016_145850

Then it was time for a walk and a stunning sunset.

IMG_20131012_180750

The waves blew the cobwebs (and house dust) away.

IMG_20131013_181501

And there was even time to admire the architecture of The Colonnade, a beautiful listed building dating back to 1911.

IMG_20131013_182118

Recipes are thin on the ground this week, we’re eating old favourites but when the dust settles, I’ll be back with the food. Now…where’s that corkscrew?!

62 Responses to “Just Walking the Pups … and Knocking Down Walls”

1. Mad Dog October 16, 2013 at 23:51 #

That’s a fab colonnade – don’t knock the walls down ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Chica Andaluza October 18, 2013 at 20:37 #

Well…I really didn’t do it on purpose ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

2. Promenade Claire October 17, 2013 at 00:03 #

Oops! Greta photo of the pups in the paper and mess! I remember our old cat sitting on a chair in the middle of a room where lime plaster was being mixed – messy, smelly, chocking stuff – but oh boy was he determined to come and stay and settle down!

• Chica Andaluza October 18, 2013 at 20:38 #

It’s so weird, they just follow us around, and make themselves comfy in the middle of all the mess – today they were sitting in rubble sacks!

3. cathyandchucky October 17, 2013 at 02:03 #

Beautiful photos Chic ๐Ÿ˜€ Do you plan to replaster or put up plaster board?

• Chica Andaluza October 18, 2013 at 20:39 #

These are old lathe and plaster walls, so this one will be rendered and then plastered. Ne walls have plaster board though, which is cheaper and quicker! We’re mostly doing it the old fashioned way ๐Ÿ™‚

4. gardenfreshtomatoes October 17, 2013 at 03:54 #

Ugh…old plaster. Had something similar happen at my first house up here in New England, only it was the ceiling over my daughter’s bed…and we weren’t thinking of remodeling at the time. What a mess!
    Your pups have the right attitude, though ๐Ÿ™‚

• Chica Andaluza October 18, 2013 at 20:47 #

Oh dear, at least we were sort of expecting things like this to happen! The pups are so laid back about it all – it’s almost restful ๐Ÿ™‚

5. Barbara Bamber | justasmidgen October 17, 2013 at 04:08 #

Oh, dear.. don’t lose that corkscrew, it’ll get you through some of the worst renovation moments! Very strange that everything pulled off like that, it must be an older house with different materials? Good luck with the repair!! xx ps.. I live vicariously through you.. no pups in our home for a while, I’m told..

• Chica Andaluza October 18, 2013 at 20:50 #

Sorry about the pups – but sometimes (I speak from experience) you need to wait a while ๐Ÿ˜ฆ The house is Victorian and the walls are lathe and plaster – it’s not doing too badly for a 120 year old house but some of it need a little help!

6. ChgoJohn October 17, 2013 at 05:42 #

Oh, Tanya. Reading of the “little crack” and seeing the wall reminded me of an old Tom Hanks movie, “The Money Pit”. He and his new wife buy an old house to renovate and, well, crumbling plaster was the least of their worries. Next time, fill the crack with toothpaste like so many do around here and move on! ๐Ÿ™‚
    Your day sure ended nicely. May you have fewer cracks and more beautiful sunsets. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Chica Andaluza October 18, 2013 at 20:53 #

Oh tell me about it – I always build in a slush fund for these projects, and we’re very much going to be slush puppies this time. Today part of the ceiling in the same room came down. We need to get into the loft to investigate, but at the moment the hatch to get into it is so small, only the pups would fit through and they’re not very good at telling us what’s going on up there ๐Ÿ˜‰

7. Tandy | Lavender and Lime October 17, 2013 at 06:13 #

Amazing what the dogs will nest in!

8. Sarah | The Sugar Hit October 17, 2013 at 08:29 #

Those puppies are so cute! Little dogs are the best!

• Chica Andaluza October 18, 2013 at 20:25 #

We’re a bit biased, but we do love our little pups!

9. themateriallady October 17, 2013 at 09:59 #

Oh dear Tanya! You really deserved the walk with the pups and the vino after dealing with that. And it looks like a lovely walk too.

• Chica Andaluza October 18, 2013 at 20:59 #

It’s a good walk for clearing all thoughts from a buzzing brain and for just laughing at the pups scampering around!

10. TBM October 17, 2013 at 12:58 #

I’m a beer drinker myself and have an opener on my key chain. You never know when I’ll stumble upon an unopened beer. As for the wall, that’s really funny. at least you found out before anyone was seriously hurt. Poor big man. has he fired you from removing wall paper.

• Chica Andaluza October 18, 2013 at 21:07 #

So far I am still on wallpaper stripping. Even funnier was a big crash today and we both wandered into the very same room saying “what was that?”. It was part of the ceiling and we both just shrugged our shoulders and said “oh, it was a bit of ceiling” and returned to wallpaper stripping (me) and sorting out the electrics (Big Man). About 10 minutes later we both burst into semi hysterical laughter at our reactions! Good idea with the beer opener – will have to get one for Big Man!

• TBM October 21, 2013 at 12:21 #

Oh the beer opener has saved us on many occasions and it’s help me make new friends. Part of the ceiling just fall down? Not sure I would handle that so calmly, but you two are experienced with home renovations.

11. spicegirlfla October 17, 2013 at 15:48 #

Ha! Hope you find the corkscrew as a simple dinner and a glass of wine is my absolute favorite way to go!! Looks likes those pups also know how to enjoy the simple pleasures of life. I so give you admiration for tackling home remodeling….just painting a room overwhelms me!!

• Chica Andaluza October 18, 2013 at 21:10 #

Some nights it’s bread, cheese, jamon and wine – other nights I switch off and relax by cooking….tonight it’s a leftover night as I’m sooooo tired! The pups look exhausted too as they must have run up and down the stairs 50 times at least ๐Ÿ™‚

12. thecompletebook October 17, 2013 at 16:01 #

Oops! Oh well, rather the wall hassles now rather than later and would you look at those pups – too adorable!
    ๐Ÿ™‚ Mandy xo

• Chica Andaluza October 18, 2013 at 21:12 #

Exactly – better to deal with dramas like this now rather than later. Although we did have the kitchen ceiling in the last place replastered 3 times – the first time it fell in, then Big Man put his leg through the bathroom floor into the ceiling, then the plumbers left a pipe open and it dripped all night onto the fresh plaster….ooops!

13. Linda Duffin October 17, 2013 at 17:38 #

Deepest sympathy, our house is like that too! You start one small job and before you know where you are you’re into another major renovation project. Keep that corkscrew handy …

• Chica Andaluza October 18, 2013 at 20:25 #

Thanks Linda – and we’re doing this thorugh choice for the fourth time in just over a year…crazy or what?! We are househoold with many corkscrews ๐Ÿ™‚

• Linda Duffin October 18, 2013 at 21:13 #

All is as it should be then – corkscrew-wise. ๐Ÿ™‚

• Chica Andaluza October 18, 2013 at 21:19 #

Absolutely!

14. Amanda October 17, 2013 at 18:07 #

OMG your story makes my broken refrigerator story pale in comparison. How cute are your dogs?! What a great view you have near you!

• Chica Andaluza October 18, 2013 at 21:13 #

Yes, but you have to live in your apartment – at least we can walk away each night! We have a beautiful seafront, it relaxes and inspires me ๐Ÿ™‚

15. narf77 October 17, 2013 at 18:40 #

Hee-hee ;). I did the very same thing here. I was SUPPOSED to be carefully removing wall tiles from the bathroom wall and got a bit bolshie with the crowbar and ended up removing great big chunks out of the fibro wall. Steve came back and was completely shellshocked to find that he had to re-wall the entire bathroom! Oh well…you know what they say about “no use crying over spilt milk” ;). If Steve’s colourful interjections were anything to go by at the time it’s no WONDER you headed out for a walk ;). Glad the dogs aren’t suffering with renovation stress. Bezial goes into lockdown whenever we paint, move furniture or do anything that might mean “moving”. He runs on stress but Earl LOVES it. He still has a white painty stripe from when he tried to steal the paint brush from the bed that we recently painted and wears it as a badge of courage ;). So long as the food matches the wine there shouldn’t be any troubles with the meals. Wine + food (any kind…peanut butter sandwiches with Merlot are the bomb!) = happiness and a blur of happy hazy renovation :). Better than therupy any day.

• Chica Andaluza October 18, 2013 at 21:17 #

Well, part of the ceiling in the same room fell in today too. Lucky no one was in there! Alfi sported a white stripe for most of last year until her had his haircut – perhaps he and Earl belong to the same gang! Ours dogs are so laid back about all this it’s unbelievable…lucky us ๐Ÿ™‚ And I agree…wine + food seem to solve most of our stresses ๐Ÿ™‚

• narf77 October 18, 2013 at 21:21 #

Probably in a 2:1 ratio methinks…a bottle each stops all of those unnecessary arguments…lets be honest, EVERYTHING looks better with wine eyes ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Chica Andaluza October 18, 2013 at 21:22 #

I like your mathematical equation ๐Ÿ™‚

• narf77 October 18, 2013 at 21:38 #

Actually, and to be technically correct…as there are 4 of you (I know that only 2 of you actually drink wine but lets not limit the dogs rights eh?), you should be consuming 4 bottles of wine…can’t be letting the side down now girl! ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Chica Andaluza October 18, 2013 at 23:22 #

I am bamboozled by your mathematical mind ๐Ÿ˜‰

• narf77 October 19, 2013 at 19:28 #

My mind is here to enthuse you and enlighten you. It can be very creative when it comes to justifying the mass consumption of deliciousness ๐Ÿ˜‰

• Chica Andaluza October 22, 2013 at 00:27 #

Your mind is doing its job well!

• narf77 October 22, 2013 at 03:57 #

๐Ÿ™‚

16. Sawsan@ Chef in disguise October 17, 2013 at 20:54 #

That is a breath taking sunset for sure!
    I hate it when you spend so much time carefully working on something then it falls apart and all your work is lost

• Chica Andaluza October 18, 2013 at 21:20 #

We seem to be getting a lot of beautiful sunsets this month – it’s often the same in Spain at this time of year. Ye, it was a bit frustrating that I had spent so long stripping that horrible wallpaper off…and then all for nothing ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

17. Shanna Koenigsdorf Ward October 18, 2013 at 15:24 #

Beautiful photos!

18. spree October 19, 2013 at 16:45 #

I guess you must get pretty accustomed to surprises (both pleasant and not so) doing the kind of work on old houses that you two are. A person can sink a lot of money into some of those surprises (like I’m telling YOU something). Projects like yours intrigue me…but my man a little less so…I’ll just have to live the adventure through you av your nesting (obviously trusting and accustomed) pups. Continued best of luck to you all!

• Chica Andaluza October 22, 2013 at 00:26 #

Thanks Spree! Even though we anticipate and budget for unpleasant surprises, they still make me grumpy ๐Ÿ˜ฆ But then I find a wonderful door underneath a few layers of chipboard and I smile again!

19. Melissa's Menu October 19, 2013 at 18:22 #

Not so happy surprises, but what a simply stunning area!

20. Charles October 22, 2013 at 21:25 #

Oh yikes… as someone who just finished decorating (plastering and painting) a toilet and hallway in preparation for moving out, I feel your pain! Poor Big Man ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

• Chica Andaluza October 22, 2013 at 22:27 #

Oh he secretly loves the knocking down and building things back stage!

• Chica Andaluza October 24, 2013 at 19:55 #

And the crazy thing is – we do this through choice!

21. cecilia October 25, 2013 at 03:18 #

who needs food when you have a corkscrew!! love the shot of the dogs! they are so delightfully long suffering.. c

• Chica Andaluza October 25, 2013 at 09:32 #

Exactly – a corkscrew solves a lot! The pups are so good natured, yesterday they found their travel basket which we had tucked away as it’s quite large, and they spent the day “making the bed” in there ๐Ÿ™‚

22. Rachel October 27, 2013 at 14:40 #

You, madam, are a dangerous woman with a hammer! (grin) I think this once again proves rule one of home repair – “one thing leads to another”!! Yikes!

23. Lynda October 28, 2013 at 15:34 #

You’ve been having refurbishing fun too? Yours looks so much nicer/easier than mine does at the moment. What a beautiful place! Even with the rubble and dust!

• Chica Andaluza October 29, 2013 at 00:02 #

Ooh, will have to see what you’ve been up to ๐Ÿ™‚

24. fati's recipes October 31, 2013 at 01:19 #

Love love love your Reno stories. This one’s a winner!

25. bitsandbreadcrumbs October 31, 2013 at 15:20 #

What a gorgeous and charming place Bexhill is! No wonder you are vested there. Is that a pebble beach? And, are any of the homes you’ve been renno-ing on the beach?

• Chica Andaluza October 31, 2013 at 19:30 #

Yes, it’s a pebble beach – we have very few sandy beaches on the south coast. None of the properties have been directly on the beach sadly, but our flat is about 90 seconds walk from the beach – we can see it when we come out of the front door and look left ๐Ÿ™‚

East of Mรกlaga

a food and lifestyle blog โ™ฅ