Smoked Haddock and Prawn Chowder

24 Mar

Oh the deliciousness of a beautiful piece of perfectly smoked fish, haddock in this case, a dish I cooked in England before we headed back to Spain. Simple, quick to cook and oh so satisfying.

Smoked Haddock & Prawn Chowder (3)

Ingredients (to serve 2 as a main course or 4 as a starter)

• 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, finely chopped
  • 600ml milk
  • 400ml fish stock (can be made with 1 Fish Stock cube)
  • 2 medium potatoes, peeled and finely diced
  • 450g traditionally smoked haddock fillet, skinned
  • 225g raw peeled prawns
  • About a cup of creamed sweetcorn (I used tinned corn which I blended with the stick blender)
  • Lemon juice, to taste
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 1tbsp fresh parsley, chopped

Heat the oil in a large heavy pan. Add the onion and cook gently for 10 minutes until soft. Add the milk and stock and bring to simmering point.

Add the potatoes and simmer for about 10 minutes or until they are soft. Keep the heat gentle as you do this.

Cut the haddock into bite-sized pieces and add to the pan. Cook very gently for 2 minutes, then add the prawns, creamed corn, lemon juice and pepper. Cook for a further 2-3 minutes, taste and season, stir in the parsley and serve.

If you enjoy chowder, take a look at my Smoked Prawn and Bacon Chowder recipe.

57 Responses to “Smoked Haddock and Prawn Chowder”

1. cookinginsens March 24, 2014 at 08:49 #

Wonderful. I love chowders like this.

• Chica Andaluza March 24, 2014 at 15:03 #

And you make such wonderful ones if I remember some of your posts!

2. restlessjo March 24, 2014 at 09:26 #

Now stoppit! I was just admiring split pea and zucchini soup on another blog. I haven’t even finished my toast yet! 🙂

• Chica Andaluza March 24, 2014 at 15:04 #

I am a fan of soup for breakfast….so quite like the idea of the split pea and zucchini one!

3. Bluejellybeans March 24, 2014 at 09:36 #

Una receta perfecta para hoy que ha vuelto el frío!! 🙂

4. Eha March 24, 2014 at 11:24 #

Definitely appealing for a full meal for me! Like the way you have dealt with the corn . . . . but definitely would wait until I can make some of my own fish stock!!

• Chica Andaluza March 24, 2014 at 15:21 #

Home made fish stock would most definitely add more flavour!

5. Selma's Table March 24, 2014 at 11:34 #

Looks delicious! I love smoked fish – I recently posted a smoky fish gratin – there is something in the air!!

6. Karen March 24, 2014 at 11:47 #

Your chowder sounds delicious. Would you believe that smoked fish other that salmon is not common in our markets here in New Hampshire.

• Chica Andaluza March 24, 2014 at 15:25 #

Oh I would believe it – here in Spain I can only ever find smoked herrings L

7. Mad Dog March 24, 2014 at 12:35 #

That makes me feel hungry and it’s coming up to lunch time 🙂

• Chica Andaluza March 24, 2014 at 15:26 #

Just the thing for lunch! I made Fabada today but it turned out to be a sunny day so we were sitting there eating it and feeling very hot and uncomfortable L

8. gardenfreshtomatoes March 24, 2014 at 13:14 #

Oh, but that sounds good! Haven’t had a nice smoked-fish-Anything in far too long!

• Chica Andaluza March 24, 2014 at 15:28 #

I have to wait again now until we get back to England!

9. thecompletebook March 24, 2014 at 15:17 #

Wish I lived closer for leftovers. 😀 You always make such scrumity food.
    Have a beautiful day Tanya.
    😉 Mandy xo

• Chica Andaluza March 24, 2014 at 15:30 #

Ah Mandy – you say the loveliest things J You could run over and I would refuel you!

10. bitsandbreadcrumbs March 24, 2014 at 16:24 #

Once again longing for better access to fresh and smoked fish. All we get here is smoked trout and salmon…but they might make a decent chowder, just not as good as this one!

• Chica Andaluza March 24, 2014 at 17:37 #

I think they sound like they would make a wonderful chowder!

11. TheDorsetFinca March 24, 2014 at 16:51 #

So incredible looking!

• Chica Andaluza March 24, 2014 at 17:38 #

Thank you – it is pretty with the colours of the prawns and sweetcorn!

12. narf77 March 24, 2014 at 17:30 #

As kids we would occasionally have smoked fish. I quite liked it and mum always simmered it in milk. Your pottage certainly looks the business and appears to be straight, mainlining comfort food. Coupled with a large loaf of some gorgeous sourdough and a huge pat of good butter this would feed the body, mind and soul 🙂

• Chica Andaluza March 24, 2014 at 17:39 #

It’s wonderful simmered in milk and then of that milk is turned into a white cheesy sauce….heaven! Not for you though L but I know you are always so lovely in your appreciation! Any sign of that sourdough starter yet? Maybe it’s being questioned in customs!

• narf77 March 24, 2014 at 17:44 #

They might be testing the “white powder” as we speak 😉

• Chica Andaluza March 24, 2014 at 17:45 #

It will only make them sneeze if they try to inhale!

• narf77 March 24, 2014 at 17:51 #

They are probably trying to “reload” the drug sniffer dog as he was obviously bored and didn’t do his thing when the white powder appeared on the radar…”bugger Bruce…the sniffer dog is broken…”

• Chica Andaluza March 24, 2014 at 18:47 #

Laughing so hard at this…. 🙂

• narf77 March 24, 2014 at 18:49 #

😉

13. 76sanfermo March 24, 2014 at 18:41 #

Come cucini bene, tu!
    Ammiro sempre le tue ricette e anch’io vorrei essere li per mangiare quello che rimane……………

14. Amanda March 24, 2014 at 21:36 #

Simple and warming. Perfect for this time of year.

15. Peri's Spice Ladle March 24, 2014 at 22:19 #

Nothing more inviting than a bowlful of fish soup with a sprinkling of green on it…I’ve got most of the ingredients on hand, so it’s coming up soon:)

16. Gather and Graze March 25, 2014 at 01:39 #

This looks incredibly delicious and just the type of soup/chowder that I love!

17. Soup Guru March 25, 2014 at 08:05 #

Can you believe I only had chowder once in my life? a clam chowder and I loved it! You just reminded that I need to cook one and it’ll be this one, looks so yummy I could have it for breakfast right now! 🙂

• Chica Andaluza March 25, 2014 at 08:56 #

I was a late starter on chowders too – they’re wonderful and a complete meal if you have a good bowl full!

18. TBM March 25, 2014 at 09:47 #

Well this looks better than the leftover pizza I’m nibbling on.

• Chica Andaluza March 25, 2014 at 09:51 #

Don’t knock it – I love cold pizza for breakfast!

19. Celia @ Fig Jam and Lime Cordial March 25, 2014 at 22:52 #

Looks divine! Perfect cool weather food!

20. ChgoJohn March 25, 2014 at 23:48 #

This sounds so good, Tanya. I doubt I could find smoked haddock here, though, and my smoking days are better left behind me. I read Betsy’s comment above and maybe I can give this a try after all, but with trout or salmon. It’s certainly worth a try, eh? I do like a good chowder. 🙂

• Chica Andaluza March 28, 2014 at 09:02 #

I bet it would be fantastic whatever you put into it!

21. Tandy | Lavender and Lime March 26, 2014 at 05:04 #

It’s raining here and this sounds like the perfect dish for dinner!

22. Michelle March 27, 2014 at 03:19 #

I believe that’s the perfect marriage of England and Spain.

23. Promenade Claire March 27, 2014 at 22:41 #

Adore Chowder fullsop
    I need to experiment a bit with a soya milk version, something that has been on my to do list for seemingly ever!

• Chica Andaluza March 28, 2014 at 08:59 #

I imagine it would be good as most of the flavour comes from the ingredients in the chowder and the milk gives it a background creaminess. Hope all is well on the beautiful south coast!

24. Melissa's Menu March 27, 2014 at 23:07 #

This looks absolutely scrumptious!!

25. Mas Hery December 18, 2014 at 14:54 #

smoked fish…hemmmm..delicous…..

26. Jaketanakkarakter July 1, 2015 at 10:49 #

yummy

27. obatherbalpalingmurah September 3, 2015 at 08:52 #

looks attractive and tasty , can I try it ??? 🙂

28. Suci Purnamasari March 4, 2016 at 08:53 #

delicious when chilled atmosphere if you eat it 😀