Pork Ribs with A Sauce of Pomegranate Molasses

29 Apr

Back in Andalucía, the pig is King, and all things porky  were very much back on the menu when we were there recently.

Ribs looked particularly good at the butcher’s and they sell half racks – a length of ribs but cut in half lengthwise, so they become short ribs.

Confession time – our favourite way to eat ribs is rubbed with some coarse sea salt and simply cooked on the barbecue. However, despite being sunny, there was a Big Wind Up the Mountain so a barbecue was out. Time to switch on the oven and cook them another way.

Ribs with Pomegranate Molasses (2)

Amongst the ingredients that came back with us from England was a bottle of Pomegranate Molasses, used a lot in Ottolenghi’s recipes and a big feature in many Mediterranean and Middle Eastern dishes. This dish is both boiled then oven cooked, but if you’re in a hurry you could skip the first step and simply oven cook the ribs. Boiling them first does make them very tender and juicy and you also end up with a wonderful stock which you can use later for soup…the choice is yours.

For 2 people

• About 800g ribs

For the first stage (optional)

• The juice of an orange, 2 cloves of peeled garlic, 2 bay leaves, a pinch of salt and a grind of pepper and enough water to cover the ribs in a saucepan

For the Sauce

• 8 tablespoons of tomato ketchup
  • 2 heaped tablespoons of tomato purée
  • 3 cloves of crushed garlic
  • a tablespoon of grated fresh ginger
  • 8 tablespoons of pomegranate molasses
  • 4 tablespoons of white wine vinegar
  • half a teaspoon of hot pimentón or chilli powder
  • 4 tablespoons of molasses (or honey)
  • 1 teaspoon of Worcestershire Sauce

If you are going to boil the ribs first, put all the ingredients in a pot, bring to the boil and then simmer for about an hour. Remove the ribs from the stock and when they are cool enough to handle (or you can prepare them ahead to this stage) move on to the next stage.

Mix all the marinade ingredients together and pour over the ribs. I put them into an ovenproof dish lined with plenty of foil. Make sure the ribs are well coated in the sauce, wrap them in the foil to form a tent and bake in a medium oven for about an hour and a half.

Serve with plenty of napkins to clean those sticky fingers and faces and enjoy!

32 Responses to “Pork Ribs with A Sauce of Pomegranate Molasses”

1. Marli Silva April 29, 2014 at 11:06 #

hummmm que deliciaaaa

2. cookinginsens April 29, 2014 at 12:29 #

Quelle coincidence! I’m working on some ribs right now. Love the idea of pomegranate molasses.

• Chica Andaluza April 29, 2014 at 12:57 #

I’ve got a bit of a thing right now about pomegranate molasses! Bet your ribs will be wonderful J

3. Karen April 29, 2014 at 12:56 #

Pomegranate molasses and the grated ginger must give your tender baked ribs a terrific taste.

4. gardenfreshtomatoes April 29, 2014 at 15:14 #

Mmmmm….I think there are some ribs in the freezer…maybe it’s a good week to teach the Small People about them 🙂

5. Ria April 29, 2014 at 16:46 #

They look finger-licking good – hungry!! x

6. Amanda April 29, 2014 at 17:25 #

Este me parece muyyy rico! Me imagino que el pomogranate molasses es muy dulce y rico. Perfecto con la carne.

• Chica Andaluza April 29, 2014 at 18:44 #

Gracias Amanda – el molasses es agri dulce y super rico!

7. cecilia April 29, 2014 at 21:52 #

oo hoo!! what af fantastic idea, i am going to try this! wonderful.. c

8. Eha April 30, 2014 at 02:23 #

Ooh, I am going to copy exactly! And definitely include ‘Stage 1’ as besides the soft succulence a lot of the fat would flow out! I can ‘taste’ the sweet texture now!!!

• Chica Andaluza May 1, 2014 at 17:22 #

Boiling them first really did make a difference and that sauce…mmm!

9. ChgoJohn April 30, 2014 at 09:01 #

I, too, boil ribs first and usually prepare 2 or 3 times what I need, freezing the rest. Later, like you, I bake them covered. The big difference, as you’ve probably guessed, is the spices. I love the sound of this, Tanya, especially the pomegranate molasses. I think I see a ribs night in the not too distant future. Yum!

• Chica Andaluza May 1, 2014 at 17:27 #

I thought we’d have loads left over but …no…we scoffed the lot so none left to freeze that time!

10. thecompletebook April 30, 2014 at 09:23 #

Heavenly! Scrumptious! Moreish!
    Have a beautiful day Tanya.
    🙂 Mandy xo

11. Tandy | Lavender and Lime April 30, 2014 at 10:03 #

Finger licking good!

12. narf77 April 30, 2014 at 21:45 #

I thought I was down on the farm in Indiana someplace when I saw this post. Not much an early morning vegan can say about this meaty gustatory event aside from “knock yourselves out guys!” 😉 Just about to rehydrate El Camino. He is going to knock the socks out of my sourdough baking this winter. Brunhilda says “Bring it ON big boy!” 😉

• Chica Andaluza May 1, 2014 at 17:36 #

Yes, this one not for you my dear narf L Get back to you baking woman – hope all goes well!

13. Gather and Graze May 1, 2014 at 02:13 #

Such gorgeous sticky flavoursome ribs! Absolutely love this recipe!

14. Soup Guru May 1, 2014 at 10:25 #

Yummy, these ribs look delicious! I also appreciate a good simple barbecue, but the pomegranate sauce is definitely a plus and I just bought some pork ribs yesterday… 🙂

• Chica Andaluza May 1, 2014 at 17:37 #

I’m having a bit of a love affair with pomegranate molasses right now….so good!

15. TBM May 1, 2014 at 12:22 #

Ribs was one of my favorite meals when I was a kid. When my mom set out water bowls to dip our fingers I knew it was going to be a yummy meal.

• Chica Andaluza May 1, 2014 at 17:40 #

You know that if eating involves getting messy, it’s generally going to be good!

• TBM May 8, 2014 at 12:20 #

Not for my clothes, though.