Pollo al Ajillo – Chicken with Garlic

11 May

Well, it’s been quiet around the blog for the last week or so. But for good reason. We’re in England with family visiting from Spain and we’ve been having a wonderful time doing family and tourist things, walking our feet off, talking our heads off and eating and drinking far more than is probably necessary…but such fun!  As a little reminder of Spain, here’s a Spanish dish which is equally good for an informal meal or a special event, Chicken with Garlic.

Ajo (the “j” is pronounced like the “ch” in the Scottish word Loch) means garlic and ajillo translates as “little garlic” which is ironic as this dish contains plenty of garlic! It’s a simple cooking technique which is used with various meats in Spain and is served as both a main dish and as a tapas (usually with the meat cut into bite sized pieces). Don’t let the simplicity of this dish trick you into believing it doesn’t taste special, it packs a lot of flavour and because it can be prepared ahead and in large quantities, it’s a fantastic dish for entertaining.

Pollo al Ajillo (1)

To serve 6 people

• 1 whole chicken cut into joints (or use individual joints)
  • 1 head of garlic, about a third of the cloves peeled and cut into thin slices, the rest left in their paper skins
  • Olive oil
  • A glass of fino or white wine
  • A few sprigs of rosemary (optional)
  • Seasoning

Pollo al Ajillo (3)

Season the chicken then fry in a little oil until browned all over. Now add all the garlic, the rosemary and the wine, reduce to a gentle bubble and cover with a lid. Cook for about an hour (turning a couple of times during cooking) until the chicken is cooked through). Check the seasoning and adjust if necessary. Sprinkle with some chopped parsley and serve with plenty of bread to mop up the juices.

For another, more elaborate, chicken dish, why not take a look at my recipe for Pollo en Pepitoria?

63 Responses to “Pollo al Ajillo – Chicken with Garlic”

1. Mad Dog May 11, 2014 at 11:31 #

Delicious – that’s one of my favourites 🙂

• Chica Andaluza May 11, 2014 at 21:40 #

I make it often but had never got round to snapping it!

2. mysimpledelights May 11, 2014 at 11:32 #

Que buena pinta!!! 😊

3. cookinginsens May 11, 2014 at 12:10 #

Chicken with lots of garlic and rosemary. I’m hungry!

4. reggiorif May 11, 2014 at 13:15 #

Wow, it sounds so tasty and looks beautiful… Next time I have guests I’ll make this

5. cathyandchucky May 11, 2014 at 13:26 #

Yum yum yum! Love a good chicken dish.

6. Melissa's Menu May 11, 2014 at 13:27 #

Love simple but delicious flavors like this! Looks scrumptious!

• Chica Andaluza May 11, 2014 at 21:44 #

It’s so much tastier than the simplicity of the ingredients would make you expect!

7. Gather and Graze May 11, 2014 at 13:37 #

Fantastic Tanya – I need a couple of new chicken dishes to try. These both look wonderful and packed full of flavour. Particularly keen on dishes that require bread alongside to mop up the juices. Yum!

8. themateriallady May 11, 2014 at 16:16 #

That looks wonderful!

9. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide May 11, 2014 at 17:40 #

Garlic makes everything delicious!

10. Marianne May 11, 2014 at 20:01 #

Yummy! One of my favourites 🙂

11. DianeT May 11, 2014 at 23:28 #

Thanks for this yummy sounding recipe, Tanya. Perfect for dinner tonight. I eat chicken regularly and I’m always looking for different recipes.
    Sounds like you’ve had a wonderful family time – celebrating special birthdays and all. And a happy birthday to “you know who” on Monday.

• Chica Andaluza May 12, 2014 at 20:43 #

Thanks for the good wishes Diane – we’re pretty much all partied out now!

12. Eha May 12, 2014 at 02:31 #

Simple and delicious! The kind of recipe one first thinks of after a busy day when one wants to sit at the table and say ‘mmmh’ 🙂 !

13. Amanda May 12, 2014 at 03:21 #

Yum! You’re making me long for Spain. I am addicted to garlic…or anything al ajillo! Beautiful cazuelas!

• Chica Andaluza May 12, 2014 at 20:42 #

Garlic is the best! And we have lots of cazuelas, they are so cheap in Spain J

14. The Wanderlust Gene May 12, 2014 at 04:16 #

Now, the simplicity of that recipe just sings flavour! Ok – I’ll go look for an organic bird immediately … 🙂

• Chica Andaluza May 12, 2014 at 20:41 #

Glad you like the look of it!

• The Wanderlust Gene May 20, 2014 at 02:15 #

I’m here to report great success – made it last night, and wished I had room for more … Luckily I had enough for another meal and popped it into the freezer before midnight snack time put paid to that plan! 🙂

• Chica Andaluza May 20, 2014 at 09:16 #

Oh how fantastic – and dinner for another night…result!

15. Tandy | Lavender and Lime May 12, 2014 at 05:54 #

Your visitors must have enjoyed the weather as well as this dish!

16. Food,Photography & France May 12, 2014 at 08:12 #

That’s such a good dish…fantastic flavour…it’s a good reminder to make it:)

• Chica Andaluza May 12, 2014 at 20:39 #

I think you’ll enjoy it if you do make it and I bet your photo will be prettier too!

17. thecompletebook May 12, 2014 at 11:10 #

My folks and Pete have just left from being here for the last 3 weeks so feel the excitement of you with your visitors.
    Lovely supper meal with some mash and peas on the side for me I thinks.
    🙂 Mandy xo

• Chica Andaluza May 12, 2014 at 20:38 #

Ah, sounds like we were all having family fun at the same time! And I love the mash and peas J

18. PendleStitches May 12, 2014 at 23:38 #

Chicken and squishy garlic…what’s not to love. Glad you’re having fun.

19. narf77 May 13, 2014 at 03:59 #

I reckon that this might just be one of those recipes that relies on the chook. I doubt that just removing it from the recipe would give me any degree of satisfaction so I will wave like Mr Grace from “Are you being Served” from the sidelines and say “You’ve all done very well!” and watch from the sidelines 🙂

• Chica Andaluza May 13, 2014 at 15:12 #

I agree, so I’ll wave back to you and say “First Floor, Ladies Underwear…Going Down” 😉

• narf77 May 13, 2014 at 20:11 #

(how did she know that my knicker elastic was broken?!!! Better put a double layer on my tin-foil hat STAT!)

• Chica Andaluza May 13, 2014 at 23:33 #

I am a witch – I see all!!

• narf77 May 14, 2014 at 00:41 #

(HOLY CRAP! I knew it…I had best get out the industrial tinfoil for this one AND get it blessed…better put that on the shopping list “get tinfoil hat blessed”…)

• Chica Andaluza May 14, 2014 at 09:04 #

LOL J

20. Val May 13, 2014 at 17:40 #

Bookmarked it for the next time my non-chicken-eating daughter is dining out. Looks and sounds very tasty.

21. ChgoJohn May 14, 2014 at 20:53 #

Chicken, wine, rosemary, and a ton of garlic. What’s not to love, Tanya? I’ve been cooking this dish, or something very similar, for years and never knew it to be Spanish in origin. That was Then. Now, I’ll serve this dish and impress my dinner guests with my knowledge of both Spanish language and cuisine. If they’re not impressed, I’ll spill something on them. I run a disciplined dinner party. 😀

• Chica Andaluza May 14, 2014 at 21:50 #

It’s good to be in control at a dinner party otherwise people start drinking too much wine, singing songs and wearing serviettes on their heads…ooops, I think that might just be mine! I think the Italians probably also have a claim on a pretty similar dish…and maybe the French and Portuguese too 😉

• Promenade Claire May 14, 2014 at 23:39 #

I remember having something similar served by a friend whose family were Hong Kong Chinese 🙂 either way it sounds a treat. I’m onto the last of the home grown garlic, and can’t wait for the new seasons crop in June, but wait I will …..

• Chica Andaluza May 19, 2014 at 16:35 #

Just had to “dig” you out of the spam folder – how weird was that?! It’s a great dish for using up garlic!

22. Karen May 15, 2014 at 22:57 #

If my comment appears twice just omit one. Your chicken dish sounds great. Garlic mellows as it cooks so you can never have too much as far as I’m concerned.

• Chica Andaluza May 18, 2014 at 00:30 #

Just the one comment – and lovely to hear from you!

23. Rachel May 18, 2014 at 00:05 #

Never too much garlic in my world – this looks great! Mmmmmmm… hungry NOW!

24. Barbara Bamber | justasmidgen May 18, 2014 at 21:51 #

Chicken is often on the menu in our kitchen, I love having a new way to prepare it that is very different from anything I’ve tried before! I’m excited to give this recipe a go!! Enjoy your time with your family and relatives!! I’ve been quiet on my blog as well and am so happy to be back reading and visiting everyone!! xx

25. 76sanfermo May 19, 2014 at 17:20 #

Another recipe I completely forgot !
    So tasty and easy…thank you!

26. bitsandbreadcrumbs May 19, 2014 at 22:40 #

Simply perfect flavors for chicken. I would love this dish and must try it some time. Glad you had fun with family, Tanya!

27. Jaketanakkarakter July 1, 2015 at 10:43 #