Carrots with Cumin and Garlic Dressing

19 May

Well, the party’s over, the “Spanishes” have all gone home and fortunately Big Man and I walked miles and miles doing touristy things which helped burn off the excessive drinking/partying/eating calories which have been consumed over the last few weeks. I’ll share some photos of places we visited once I’m a bit more organised but for the moment it’s noses to the grindstone and back to renovations and a bit of healthy eating needs to be done.

Here’s another lovely, and very simple, recipe from the Moro Cookbook. In their version it´s billed as a salad and has coriander sprinkled over. I didn´t have coriander, so I made do! The dressing was fabulous and as I only made enough carrots for the two of us, there was plenty left over to dress a salad the next day.

Carrots with Cumin (3)

The Moro version cooks the carrots whole and then chops them when cooled but mine were too big to fit into the pan whole so I peeled and chopped them first.

Ingredients to serve 4

• 450g carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
  • 2/3 teaspoon cumin seeds, dry fried
  • 1 garlic clove
  • Juice of ¾ lemon
  • Sea salt
  • 1/3 teaspoon caster sugar
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • Some roughly chopped coriander

Cook the carrots in boiling salted water until tender, drain and leave to cool.

Pound the cumin in a mortar then add the garlic and ½ teaspoon of salt and continue to pound. Add the lemon juice, sugar and olive oil and mix before dressing the carrots with this delicious smokey, tangy dressing.

This recipe is made thinking especially of a wonderful fellow blogger, Fran, aka narf7 over at Serendipity Farm. With her husband Steve and beautiful dogs Earl and Bezial they are based in Tasmania and living a life which is as self-sufficient as possible. Miss narf is vegan and I’m not, but she makes wonderful comments on my posts (even those pork and beef laden ones!) and makes me laugh with her brilliant sense of humour. Do take the time to pay her a visit, you won’t regret it!

44 Responses to “Carrots with Cumin and Garlic Dressing”

1. Mad Dog May 19, 2014 at 16:40 #

I should have some Spanish visitors to help me walk off my calories.
    I think Oli is coming over from Barcelona to visit the Soho Food Feast, but that will add more calories than it’s possible to walk off 😉

• Chica Andaluza May 19, 2014 at 16:47 #

Ha ha! But you’ll have an amazing time with him J I think we’re all “visitored” out for the moment. I’m actually looking forward to getting stuck into the new project!

• Mad Dog May 19, 2014 at 16:53 #

I will be going into training ready for the event. The art to survival is in avoiding the French House, before and afterwards 🙂

• Chica Andaluza May 19, 2014 at 18:31 #

Beware the French (House) 😉

• Mad Dog May 19, 2014 at 19:41 #

They have a magnet in there – it’s not easy.

2. cecilia May 19, 2014 at 16:59 #

OK I will admit it .. I hate carrots.. I know, my bad, however maybe these carrots with this dressing might be just the thing to bring me back into the fold.. lovely.. take care darling.. c

• Chica Andaluza May 19, 2014 at 18:32 #

Oh miss c you do surprise me! Actually Big Man used to hate carrots but I am gradually converting him J How about roasted carrots? Could that work for you? At least you have plenty of farmy animals who would be delighted to eat your share!

3. Promenade Claire May 19, 2014 at 17:03 #

There’s nothing like waving goodbye, closing the door and going Aahhhhhhh …….
    Loving the salad, nice warm too with a curry .

• Chica Andaluza May 19, 2014 at 18:33 #

Yes, it was nice to be alone again, although we loved having them. Ah the peace and quiet! Great idea to eat these with a curry…clever J

4. 76sanfermo May 19, 2014 at 17:15 #

Love,love,love this salad.
    I never remember to buy carrots…. but this recipe will remind me to do so!
    A big hug Tanja !

• Chica Andaluza May 19, 2014 at 18:33 #

I think you’ll enjoy it – go and buy some carrots J

5. unpizzicodime May 19, 2014 at 17:46 #

Love carrots and should try this new version… plus got the same problem with my mum staying over for a month and cooking as I am still a baby (and I am far away from that stage!!) Thanks for sharing!

6. narf77 May 19, 2014 at 20:52 #

Je t’adore carrots…I have a huge sack of them in the fridge and you can know with certainty that this scrumptious looking recipe will be wending it’s way down an Antipodean Narf’s alimentary canal ASAP (well…it’s 4.47am so probably that is a bit of a fib…might wait till at least 8am 😉 ). I am most flattered by your linky to my humble little blog but it’s the excellence of your blog that keeps me coming back. Couldn’t stop if I wanted to…where else would I get my lardy fix?! Apparently “come the revolution” we are going to have to live off our land. At this present moment in time “our land” is supporting 60+ chooks, a herd of wallabies, forty squintillion possums, 4 pumpkins in stages of consumption (can’t be interrupting the wildlife in it’s stages of consumption!), a handful of cherry tomatoes and a mass cloud of white fly who appear to have taken vacant possession of my veggie garden while I have been AWOL (under the bed with Earl terrified of all that work!). I think this means that “come the revolution” Narf7 is going to have to abandon her vegan ways and start tucking into the wildlife (of which our feral chooks have just become part of)! Oh NO! Best keep planting carrots and hope for the best eh? 😉

• Chica Andaluza May 21, 2014 at 19:08 #

Ah, glad you liked it and thanks for your kind words! Hopefully you won’t have to abandon your vegan ways…perhaps you could try the possums first though if you really have to 😉

• narf77 May 21, 2014 at 19:15 #

Or maybe once Steve has eaten the possums there will be enough veggies left in my veggie garden for everyone! 😉

• Chica Andaluza May 21, 2014 at 19:34 #

It’s a win-win situation!

• narf77 May 21, 2014 at 19:38 #

🙂

7. narf77 May 19, 2014 at 20:55 #

(just perusing your list of followers to see who would actually get ANYTHING out of following that link to Serendipity Farm…er…nope…nope…NOPE!…no…nup…nope…wait a minute, Captain Jack Sparrow? “Hooksamui” might just get something out of the trans-Atlantic effort to drop by but the rest of your readers might leave Serendipity Farm a little the worse for wear and feeling decidedly disturbed by their efforts 😉 )

• Chica Andaluza May 21, 2014 at 19:09 #

You underestimate my loyal readers! …and there are a lot of folk out there who are growing their own in small or large ways who will have a ball when they travel to the farm 🙂

• narf77 May 21, 2014 at 19:16 #

I fear that yesterdays blog post might terrify them! Frankly a middle aged hippy in a chalupi hat is a hard sell for a few acres on a river 😉

• Chica Andaluza May 21, 2014 at 19:34 #

Well, I loved it!

• narf77 May 21, 2014 at 19:38 #

Glad someone did! 😉 By the way, the possums are not keen on carrots so at least I can have me some carrots with cumin and garlic dressing because the garlic thieving wallabies haven’t quite worked out how to invade Poland… yet…

8. Eha May 20, 2014 at 03:29 #

Love carrot salad and am so happy to have another variant – mine usually seems to have orange, raisins and heaps of herbs in it – shall try yours soonest 🙂 !

9. Tandy | Lavender and Lime May 20, 2014 at 05:57 #

I love cumin on carrots. Off to pay narf a visit 🙂

10. themateriallady May 20, 2014 at 15:39 #

That looks very tasty – perhaps I can even use it to persuade The Management that salads do count as a meal.

• Chica Andaluza May 20, 2014 at 16:33 #

I think even I would want something to accompany this one though!

11. thecompletebook May 21, 2014 at 11:05 #

Now these are some scrumity carrots! Love the dressing ingredients.
    Have a wonderful day Tanya and looking forward to seeing your pics.
    🙂 Mandy xo

• Chica Andaluza May 21, 2014 at 19:10 #

The dressing was a big success and delicious the next day too!

12. Gather and Graze May 21, 2014 at 14:41 #

Love it – always happy to learn of a new way to spice up carrots! The rest of the family prefers them raw, but I think this dressing will work either way! Looking forward to checking out Serendipity Farm – love Tassie! 🙂

• Chica Andaluza May 21, 2014 at 19:06 #

I love carrots most ways but really loved this dressing!

13. restlessjo May 21, 2014 at 21:25 #

I love the Algarve style carrots they serve in some restaurants with the bread and olives, Tanya. I imagine this is similar. I’m back in the Algarve on 4th June and I can’t wait (and it’s not just the carrots) 🙂

• Chica Andaluza May 21, 2014 at 21:49 #

Oh yes, I’ve had those too – delicious! Have loved the last few sunnt hdays we’ve had in England but rain today has left me dreaming of sunnier climes 🙂

14. Karen May 25, 2014 at 17:08 #

I know all about having guests and eating more than you should but you got in lots of walking so that really helps. Your carrots sound great…I’m always looking for new ways to prepare them. Thanks!

• Chica Andaluza May 25, 2014 at 19:34 #

Thank goodness for all that walking – it helped burn off some calories!

• Karen May 25, 2014 at 19:51 #

Walking is the only thing that saves us when we travel to Europe…if not I would have to buy bigger clothes half way through the trip. 😀

• Chica Andaluza May 25, 2014 at 19:53 #

And the extra bonus is that you often come across the most unexptected places when you are “getting lost” on foot!

15. Ginger May 28, 2014 at 18:34 #

What a brilliant recipe! I love Moro’s food, their recipes make me think I’m somewhere nice and sunny and warm…

16. Burhan April 15, 2015 at 04:19 #

This carrots, served with nice that make want to try to taste.

17. Rak Sepatu Gantung August 8, 2016 at 12:17 #

Carrots, rich of vitamin A, and its very good for your eyes!

18. aida tour February 6, 2017 at 08:01 #

wow i like carrot salad.. yummi taste delicious..