Dover Sole with Scallops, Prawns and Samphire

22 Jun

Special occasion food should be all about what you love most, shared with the people you love most. And sometimes it’s also about spending time with those loved ones enjoying the occasion and not spending too long in the kitchen preparing the food and being away from your guests. Don’t misunderstand me, I love spending hours and even days preparing a special meal, but this is one for when you don’t want to be in the kitchen for too long.

Dover Sole with Scallops, Prawns and Samphire (1)

Ingredients (per person)

• 1 small Dover Sole (or other small flat fish)
  • 4 large prawns (peeled and the heads removed but the tails left on to make eating them with your fingers much easier!)
  • 2 scallops
  • About 2 tablespoons of fresh samphire (or use a few stalks of fresh, blanched asparagus chopped into smaller pieces)
  • Olive oil
  • Butter
  • Lemon juice
  • Salt & Pepper

Warm a little olive oil and butter in a large frying pan and heat. When the oil is hot, put the fish in, skin side down and cook for about 2 or 3 minutes until the skin starts to become crispy.

Turn the heat down to medium and turn the fish over. Add the scallops and prawns and cook them on each side for about a minute or two (the prawns will turn pink and the scallops will lose their opacity).

Remove the fish, prawns and scallops to a serving plate (keeping the oil in the pan). Squeeze in a little lemon juice to taste and add the samphire. Stir fry on a high heat for less than a minute, just to heat it through and spoon the samphire and juices over the fish. Season to taste (it probably won’t need much salt) and serve with a small wedge of lemon.

Pour glasses of wine for you and your loved ones and enjoy the moment.

56 Responses to “Dover Sole with Scallops, Prawns and Samphire”

1. cookinginsens June 22, 2014 at 08:30 #

I really want that!

• Chica Andaluza June 22, 2014 at 10:52 #

Come on over….ooops, I think you’re a bit busy right now!

2. Diane Thorn June 22, 2014 at 09:24 #

Yum, I love flat fish (what we call flounder, here)
    I usually go for a big size but adding the scallops and prawns really appeals.

• Chica Andaluza June 22, 2014 at 10:53 #

We have all different kinds of sole – these are usually bigger here but for some reason that were they were small!

3. thecompletebook June 22, 2014 at 11:19 #

I haven’t enjoyed a sole for the longest time! This is a winner of a meal Tanya.
    I will have to buy sole on my next trip to town.
    Have a beautiful week ahead and hope you are back on track with getting my post notifications.
    🙂 Mandy xo

• Chica Andaluza June 22, 2014 at 17:08 #

Glad oyu liked it Mandy and I am keeping my fingers crossed that I have resubscribed properly and it will work now!

4. Mad Dog June 22, 2014 at 11:27 #

That looks delicious, you’ve reminded me of Julia Childs and sole meunière 😉

• Chica Andaluza June 22, 2014 at 17:08 #

Wasn’t that her “Road to Damascus” dish?!

• Mad Dog June 22, 2014 at 18:13 #

According to the film Julia and Julia I suspect yes. Meryl Streep certainly conveyed that impression. I found a nice old video of Julia discussing fish and in particular sole 🙂

• Chica Andaluza June 23, 2014 at 09:29 #

She was a character! I didn’t much like Julie and Julia and I read that Mrs Childs didn’t think much of the project either! Julia (I like to think we would have been on first name terms) really made “proper2 cooking like this accessible to people who previously had been bought up on a very different diet.

5. Tandy | Lavender and Lime June 22, 2014 at 15:55 #

Perfect meal! I was not so enamoured with the samphire we had in Wales 🙂

• Chica Andaluza June 22, 2014 at 17:09 #

What a shame about the Samphire you had – maybe it wasn’t fresh or cooked properly, or maybe it’s just not for you L

6. Promenade Claire June 22, 2014 at 16:40 #

Love samphire – we are so lucky to live on the coast

7. Our Growing Paynes June 22, 2014 at 16:40 #

Such a bright looking dish! Wonderful.

8. 76sanfermo June 22, 2014 at 17:13 #

I didn’t hear of samphire before…….But I’ll use asparagus , as you suggest….
    This dish must be fabulous ,thanks Tanya!

9. Rachel June 22, 2014 at 17:24 #

Guess I’ll have to settle for asparagus… I always learn something new here! Mmmmm… hungry NOW!

• Chica Andaluza June 23, 2014 at 09:27 #

If you can get the really thin spears (which I think pack more flavour sometimes and you get more tips!) it would be lovely J

10. bitsandbreadcrumbs June 22, 2014 at 18:16 #

To me this is what eating fish and seafood is all about…a fresh and simple preparation of good ingredients that make an easy and elegant…and very tasty, dish. I’d never heard of samphire, probably because I’ve never lived in a coastal area. It’s so pretty! I want to reach into the photo with a fork and taste this dish. 🙂

• Chica Andaluza June 23, 2014 at 09:31 #

I agree Betsy – beautifully fresh fish has its own special and distinct flavour and mostly doesn’t need to much else to enhance it!

11. narf77 June 22, 2014 at 19:29 #

My motto…”never say never”…with recipes like this…

The narf SHALL go to the “scallop” ball! They even have recipes for vegan bacon and faux fishy-fish and the samphire is ALL mine 🙂

• Chica Andaluza June 23, 2014 at 09:22 #

Not sure if you got my first response but it was something along the lines of “where there’s a will there’s a way”. Could only connect to the first link for the scallops – but “wow” what a great idea and how very clever! I love mushrooms anyway and a huge grilled mushroom often packs more flavour and texture than a steak, so using them to “make” scallops is genius! Am going to try that second link again later and see if if works.

• narf77 June 23, 2014 at 20:21 #

Didn’t get your first response but this one is AOK 🙂 Glad you liked that scallop linky. There is nothing like an ex-meat eating vegan to be inventive and very creative when it comes to tasty subs ;). Haven’t tried them yet as Far Flung Tassie only gets those giant Oyster Mushies for a very short time (if at all) but I can live in hope 😉

• Chica Andaluza June 24, 2014 at 16:28 #

I’ve never seen the giant oyster mushrooms either, but maybe just normal ones would work using the whole thing. It wouldn’t look like a scallop but who cares!

• narf77 June 24, 2014 at 20:37 #

I think that “some” vegans want to replicate shapes and textures and pretend that they are actually eating a scallop equivalent. Me, not so much. I am more happy to eat tasty food that is good for me than need it to be the same shape ;). I must admit, if I used all vegan ingredients (coconut bacon, mushroom “scallops”…) I might need the rest of the bottle of wine to convince me that I was eating something vaguely in the same ball-park as your recipe 😉

12. themateriallady June 22, 2014 at 23:43 #

We are thoroughly enjoying asparagus at the moment but if we were coastal I am sure samphire would work too. I am really looking forward to trying samphire VERY fresh,

• Chica Andaluza June 23, 2014 at 09:14 #

I only recently (last year) got to enjoy samphire for the first time and it really has a lovely fresh, salty, seaside flavour! Mind you, I love asparagus too J

13. frugalfeeding June 23, 2014 at 09:58 #

Beautiful ingredients – I’m such a big fan of samphire, but it isn’t used widely enough. More people need to realise how delicious it is.

• Chica Andaluza June 24, 2014 at 16:07 #

The fishmonger was giving little tastings to customers the other day as I think so many people have never had a chance to try it.

14. Karen June 23, 2014 at 12:14 #

So right about this being a special occasion dish…everyone would love it.

15. Gather and Graze June 23, 2014 at 14:21 #

What a lovely, classic way of preparing beautiful ingredients Tanya. I keep hearing about samphire, but have yet to try it… living inland probably doesn’t help! Will have to keep an eye out at the markets all the same.

• Chica Andaluza June 24, 2014 at 16:20 #

Do hope you come across it one day – it’s a very unique flavour!

16. Lynn June 23, 2014 at 15:36 #

I do like a scallp. Also loved the Sweet Potato Gratin recipe in your previous post. I had spotted the Ottolenghi version when you “forced” me to buy the books previously! Saw this http://home.bt.com/lifestyle/6-ways-to-eat-strawberries-11363913526186 whilst you don’t often do sweet recipes, you are in England during strawberry season this year and I did think that at least a couple of the recipes sounded like ones you would try. L x

• Chica Andaluza June 24, 2014 at 16:24 #

Hi Lynn – glad you liked the recipes and yes…you’re so right…time for some strawberry recipes! Thanks for the link – some great ideas J

17. restlessjo June 23, 2014 at 21:55 #

You KNOW I love easy-peasy! 🙂

18. kathryningrid June 24, 2014 at 03:58 #

Gorgeous! It’s not easy to find samphire here, but that would be far better than asparagus if I could have it! A lovely, lovely dish. 😀
    xoxo,
    Kathryn

• Chica Andaluza June 24, 2014 at 16:30 #

Glad you liked it Kathryn – I think I’m really lucky to be able to get hold of samphire quite easily in England J

19. cathyandchucky June 25, 2014 at 01:08 #

Divine! Simple, fishy and lemony. Just what I like 🙂

20. Barbara Bamber | justasmidgen June 25, 2014 at 06:05 #

You know, I believe this is the second recipe tonight that has samphire in it and it is absolutely the first time in my life I’ve heard of this! How exciting to discover a new ingredient and this looks like the best easy recipe to try it with!

• Chica Andaluza June 28, 2014 at 18:10 #

It’s funny sometimes it happens this way – something you’ve never heard of keeps popping up! If you ever come across it, do give it a try J

21. Elise Xavier June 26, 2014 at 18:08 #

Been browsing through your blog today and yum – this is definitely one of my favourites so far. I ‘m not much of a cook, so I doubt I could pull it off, but I’d love to taste it, that’s for sure ;).

22. cecilia June 28, 2014 at 18:47 #

I love eating shrimp with my fingers too… Don’t get a fright… I am going to unfollow and refollow you .. so your pages get to my email! c

• Chica Andaluza June 28, 2014 at 20:05 #

Funny things are happening on wordpress, I am missing lots of posts I thought I had followed!

23. Soup Guru July 5, 2014 at 16:52 #

Didn’t know Samphire, something new to try next time I have the chance to visit the UK!

• Chica Andaluza July 6, 2014 at 10:09 #

It’s quite a fresh and special flavour – do hope you get to try it one day!

24. Dina July 9, 2014 at 15:21 #

Mmmmh, it looks very yummy indeed! 🙂 We love Samphire, it so salty-summery-crunchy and the best match for fish, butter at this time of the year.
    Greetings from Cley next the Sea
    Dina

• Chica Andaluza July 9, 2014 at 20:33 #

Hi Dina, thanks for visiting and your lovely comment! So glad you know and enjoy samphire – such a shame that so few people can try it 😦

25. lugu kurniawan April 11, 2016 at 06:50 #

26. Wardhani April 17, 2016 at 09:22 #

Lovely dish.. I like to eat scallops and prawns… It looks yummy
    I will cook this recipe for my special ones. Thanks for this recipe

27. Kursus ACLS August 18, 2016 at 12:17 #

it looks fresh and yummy. I want to try this recipe. thanks for your article about this recipe