Slow Cooked Duck Legs with Potatoes

28 Jun

I was thinking of Confit of Duck, as you do, as I had a couple of duck legs planned for dinner. Of course, all the decent recipes wanted really long slow cooking, preferably a day or so in advance. I also didn’t have any duck fat to hand so had to think of an alternative. An “aha” moment came to me, not the Norwegian band from the 1980s you understand, although they did have their charm, but a turning on of a little light deep within the little grey cells. Patatas a lo Pobre, poor man’s potatoes. They are slow cooked in olive oil so there was no reason why the same process couldn’t work for my duck legs.

Slow Cooked Duck with Potatoes (4)

For those of you who are now digging deep within their own little grey cells to think of an A-ha song, here’s one to hum along to.

Now, back to the cooking.

Ingredients (to serve 2)

• 2 duck legs, seasoned with salt and pepper
  • 2 very large potatoes peeled and thinly sliced
  • 1 onion thinly sliced
  • ½ a red pepper cut into thin strips
  • 4-6 cloves of garlic (peeled or unpeeled)
  • About ¼ cup of olive oil and ¼ cup of white wine
  • Salt and pepper
  • Heat the oven to low (Gas 3 or about 130 degrees C)

Pour the oil and wine over the potatoes, onions, garlic and peppers, season and mix. Place the potato mix into the bottom of an ovenproof dish then place the seasoned duck legs on top. Cover with foil and put into the oven for about 3 hours.

When the juices of the duck legs runs clear, remove the foil and turn the oven up to the highest setting, remove the foil, drain off any liquid and cook for a further 20 minutes or until the duck legs are browned and the potatoes and peppers start to char.

Leave to stand for 5 minutes before tucking into meltingly tender duck and potatoes. Fight using your fork with your loved one for any crispy bits in the pot.

If you fancy an oriental influenced duck dish, take a look here.

39 Responses to “Slow Cooked Duck Legs with Potatoes”

1. Mad Dog June 28, 2014 at 20:31 #

That sounds delicious, but I had no trouble resisting A-Ha.
    You’ve got me wondering now if I could do duck leg potato gratin… 🙂

• Chica Andaluza June 29, 2014 at 10:12 #

Duck leg potato gratin … you could make it work! And how could you not have listened to A-ha or were you digging out your leg warmers?!

2. cookinginsens June 28, 2014 at 21:03 #

That’s what I like 🙂

3. narf77 June 28, 2014 at 21:36 #

“Take…on…me…TAKE ON ME!…” 😉 You are making me twitch because we had to rotoscope a video just like that amazing rotoscoped video that they made and it took a month of sundays. Just thinking about the word “Aha” makes me twitch now. Narfian response…Ok I give in. Some things are just NOT meant to be veganised! Slow cooked confit duck is just one such thing. Even if I WAS able to veganise the shape and the texture (which I severely doubt) there is no way that it would taste at all like duck. I guess I am going to have to allow our duck to wander free as Stevie-boy doesn’t like duck. She is VERY lucky as she is the loudest duck this side of the Pecos. The spuds surrounding that duck do look mighty tempting though and never one to give up on a recipe, maybe if I left the duck out and highlighted the spuds…what say, I just create another entirely different, duck free version just for narfs? I am sure that we can still be friends if we are unable to guzzle a duck dinner together. All the more for you and Big Man methinks 🙂 I am the PERFECT friend 🙂 (Stevie-boy says that I am a cheap date also…I think I would rather be the perfect dinner friend 😉 )

• Chica Andaluza June 29, 2014 at 10:14 #

Definitely not one to be veganised, but the potatoes on their own are wonderful. You could slip into some 1980s lycra and leg warmers and dance around the kitchen whilst preparing tem 😉 You are indeed the perfect friend – dinner, lunch and breakfast!

• narf77 June 29, 2014 at 20:06 #

If I slipped into some 1980’s lycra and leg warmers and danced around my kitchen I would end up in hospital when I saw my reflection in a window and collapsed in a heap of spontaneous laughter and did myself an injury ;). All I can think of is me dressed up like Jenifer Beals in Flashdance right now…TERRIBLE image! Some things should never materialise, let alone be shunted into your imagination 😉

• Chica Andaluza June 29, 2014 at 22:30 #

Oh I don’t know – I’m seeing myself as Jane Fonda in her lycra workout gear (the leotard with the chevron stripes). I’d look like an inflatable mint humbug…we could have hospital beds next to each other and they wouldn’t have to give us pain relief as we’d be laughing so much 😉

• narf77 June 30, 2014 at 20:19 #

LOL! 😉

4. Ginger June 28, 2014 at 21:42 #

Sounds delicious! I haven’t cooked duck in a while, so this really got me thinking …

• Chica Andaluza June 29, 2014 at 10:15 #

I have phases, and now I still have a couple of duck legs in the freezer!

• Ginger June 29, 2014 at 10:38 #

Lucky you! I am looking forward to your next experiment! 🙂

• Chica Andaluza June 29, 2014 at 18:00 #

J

5. Danny & Sue . June 28, 2014 at 21:50 #

What a lovely idea , it just so happens we have duck for Sunday good choice .

6. cathyandchucky June 29, 2014 at 04:21 #

Oh yum! My favorite vegetable and one of the better songs of the eighties and I love duck.

7. TheDorsetFinca June 29, 2014 at 07:42 #

Delicious duck and an 80s moment?!! Nothing could be better! 🙂

8. Tandy | Lavender and Lime June 29, 2014 at 07:54 #

I love the way you slow cooked these. Olive oil is the perfect vehicle for all sorts of lovely meals 🙂

• Chica Andaluza June 29, 2014 at 10:16 #

It was so tasty but good to be able to pull it together then forget about it for a few hours!

9. Food,Photography & France June 29, 2014 at 08:39 #

Such a good idea….definitely an autumn recipe for me….love patatas a lo pobre

• Chica Andaluza June 29, 2014 at 10:16 #

Yes, not one for the hot summer (it’s not so hot in England!)

10. Marianne June 29, 2014 at 10:54 #

Loved the video – and the duck …. Mmmmmmm, delish!

11. thecompletebook June 29, 2014 at 12:20 #

Ooo, lovely aha moment. Scrumptious. Duck is not something we eat often – think it’s time to put it on the shopping list.
    have a beautiful week ahead Tanya.
    🙂 Mandy xo

• Chica Andaluza June 29, 2014 at 18:00 #

I have phases – usually we eat it when it’s on special offer!

12. restlessjo June 30, 2014 at 23:24 #

I can’t cook duck without it tasting like old boots. Guess who doesn’t cook duck? 😦

• Chica Andaluza July 2, 2014 at 12:53 #

I think duck is like squid 0 it’s got to be fast and hot or slow and gentle cooking!

13. Margot July 1, 2014 at 02:23 #

Thanks for the brief visit back to the 80’s – LOVED IT! 🙂 I also love the idea of slow-cooked duck legs and will have to give this a go very soon.

14. Soup Guru July 5, 2014 at 16:49 #

OMG! I love duck confit, what a great and easy way to cook it without all the fuss, thanks for sharing! Ohh and AHA reminds me of my childhood/teenage years, what a nice memory you brought back!

• Chica Andaluza July 6, 2014 at 10:09 #

It was a cheat’s way of doing it! Glad you enjoyed the trip down memory lane J

15. Sherryfromsherryspickings July 6, 2014 at 06:36 #

oh wow the duck and potatoes looks so good. and i loved aha years ago. great video they did:)

16. Suci Purnamasari March 4, 2016 at 05:09 #