Another House Renovation Finished – Breathe In, Breathe Out…

23 Nov

Oh it’s been a long, long road with this one. But like the very first project we undertook together, we love this house. Little secrets emerged from behind layers of wardrobes, original flooring came back to life and today our lovely new tenants moved in.

For those of you who are interested, I’ll let the photos tell the story of a little 2 bedroomed (it was 3 bed when it was originally built but with only an outside loo and no indoor bathroom) Victorian mid terraced house.

Feb 2014 (19)41 Red Rd Completed 22 Nov 2014 (23)

The previous owners had lived there for 60 years, the lady (her daughter) who sold it to us told us that her parents had originally rented it then managed to buy it with a mortgage. She (the daughter) was born and bought up there, her mother lived out her final years as a widow in  the house and the daughter’s son and his children all had strong memories of spending time with their grandparents (and great grandparents) there.

Feb 2014 (30)41 Red Rd Completed 22 Nov 2014 (30)

Yesterday the previous family came to look over the house before the tenants moved in. I was anxious. We bring properties up to a modern standard (putting in central heating, efficient plumbing and decent kitchens and bathrooms).

Feb 2014 (10)41 Red Rd Completed 22 Nov 2014 (11)

We try to revive old floorboards if we can and replace them if we can’t. We paint our houses white so that whoever buys or rents them can make them their own. But they look very different from when we start and I was worried it might upset the previous family.

Feb 2014 (16)41 Red Rd Completed 22 Nov 2014 (1)

Fortunately there were tears of joy and smiles of relief as they saw fireplaces uncovered and restored that they had previosuly forgotten existed. Admiration for the floors and chuckles at the improved outside loo.

Feb 2014 (5)41 Red Rd Completed 22 Nov 2014 (15)

Time now to rest and focus on ourselves. Time for good food, and sleep and long walks on the beach.

65 Responses to “Another House Renovation Finished – Breathe In, Breathe Out…”

1. cookinginsens November 23, 2014 at 20:58 #

Another beautiful job!

2. Mad Dog November 23, 2014 at 20:59 #

It looks like you’ve done a marvelous job to me – a big improvement 😉

• Chica Andaluza November 24, 2014 at 19:20 #

Thanks Mad – we enjoyed this one!

• Mad Dog November 24, 2014 at 19:37 #

So where to next?

• Chica Andaluza November 24, 2014 at 19:40 #

We’re tied to England for the next few months and maybe when Big Man is on the mend we’ll tackle our own new (Victorian) house in Bexhill which is crying out for a total refurb 🙂 Hope all is well with you?

• Mad Dog November 24, 2014 at 19:46 #

Wow – I bet you’ll do a similarly excellent job on that!
        I’m fine thanks, do let me know if you are coming to London in December 🙂

• Chica Andaluza November 24, 2014 at 19:48 #

Will do but think it’s unlikely for the moment – will drop you an e-mail soon!

• Mad Dog November 24, 2014 at 19:58 #

OK – do let me know – I’ve got some dam not sloe gin 😉

• Chica Andaluza November 24, 2014 at 20:07 #

Intriguing!

• Mad Dog November 24, 2014 at 20:25 #

Sloe gin made with damsons – it’s almost the same thing. You’ll need to have a bottle so that Big Man can compare it to Patxaran – obviously it won’t taste of Anis, but the sloe/damson flavour is common to both drinks 🙂

• Chica Andaluza November 24, 2014 at 21:35 #

I think we’ll both love it 😉

• Mad Dog November 24, 2014 at 22:40 #

Somehow I don’t doubt that 😉

• Chica Andaluza November 25, 2014 at 13:06 #

😉

3. DianeT November 23, 2014 at 21:04 #

Well done, you two. You deserve a well-earned rest, with wonderful food and wine, and the time to breathe all that lovely fresh air. 🙂

• Chica Andaluza November 24, 2014 at 19:20 #

We’ve had two days since we finished and are just trying to work out how to slow down!

4. Melissa's Menu November 23, 2014 at 22:23 #

This is my favorite yet! Love the large windows and fireplace in what I am guessing is the living room. Very homey.

• Chica Andaluza November 24, 2014 at 19:20 #

Yes, it’s the living room – and there is so much lovely light in that house, even on a dull day!

5. bitsandbreadcrumbs November 24, 2014 at 00:24 #

Great job! Congrats to you both, and enjoy some well earned down time. 🙂

6. cecilia November 24, 2014 at 01:27 #

wonderful/…I love those floors..c

• Chica Andaluza November 24, 2014 at 19:23 #

The floors are my favourite bit – I should have taken a snap of the back door step all worn and lovely!

7. Tandy | Lavender and Lime November 24, 2014 at 04:59 #

What an amazing achievement Tanya. Well done. Enjoy your beach walks!

• Chica Andaluza November 24, 2014 at 19:24 #

Thank you Tandy – looking forward to some improved weather so that we can enjoy those beach walks!

8. TheDorsetFinca November 24, 2014 at 08:19 #

Wow – what a change! You have done an amazing job and it looks brilliant! I wonder what’s next on your adventure list…

• Chica Andaluza November 24, 2014 at 19:27 #

Apart from recharging the batteries, the house we’ve just moved into in England needs gutting…..oh well, here we go again!

9. 76sanfermo November 24, 2014 at 08:47 #

I think you’ve done miracles ,here! can’t but clap my hands, beautiful!

10. TBM November 24, 2014 at 10:56 #

Wow! Another smashing success.

11. thecompletebook November 24, 2014 at 11:02 #

Oh how lovely! What a remarkable transformation – just beautiful!
    Have a wonderful time catching up with yourself.
    Have a beautiful week ahead.
    🙂 Mandy xo

12. PendleStitches November 24, 2014 at 11:53 #

I love how you let the houses speak to you. So often the characterful bits are ripped out in the name of modernisation. Another beautiful job. Enjoy the rest…it’s very well earned!

• Chica Andaluza November 24, 2014 at 19:34 #

Thanks Evie – we really did enjoy this one as the house had such a good feeling to it.

13. Eha November 24, 2014 at 11:57 #

You must be so satisfied with what you have achieved . . . I just do hope you will take some time for a proper breather now . . . 🙂 !

• Chica Andaluza November 24, 2014 at 19:35 #

Yes, we’re especially pleased with the floors!

14. georgettesullins November 24, 2014 at 13:27 #

Beautiful job! How satisfying. Perhaps I told you a few years ago, I had an aunt, uncle and cousins in Sevilla and more in Mairena. We lost both aunts last November and January respectively. They both showed me the “maravilla que es Sevilla.”

15. narf77 November 24, 2014 at 18:33 #

And preparing for the dreaded big “C” Ms Chica, don’t forget the big “C” 😉 Job well done guys…”NEXT!” 😉

• Chica Andaluza November 24, 2014 at 19:44 #

I am pretending that if I don’t think about it, it will take longer to come round. Actually, we’re planning a very quiet one this year, just the two of us, and I am looking forward to that!

16. trixpin November 25, 2014 at 11:41 #

Oh wow, look what you’ve done to it! It looks amazing – you must be so delighted to have finally finished 🙂

• Chica Andaluza November 25, 2014 at 13:06 #

Thank you so much – we are relieved now that someone can enjoy it after all he work!

17. Karen November 25, 2014 at 15:06 #

The two of you have need a well earned rest after this lovely transformation. A job well done!

18. Rachel November 25, 2014 at 20:44 #

I love it! Good job *and* good work!

19. Soup Guru November 25, 2014 at 21:14 #

OMG! What a great job you’ve done with this house!!! I love the fact that you manage to completely modernised it keeping, rescuing and bringing back to life its original spirit. I know now who I should contact if someday my dream of buying an old house comes true. Lovely! 🙂

20. restlessjo November 25, 2014 at 22:05 #

What an industrious pair you are! 🙂 Is this the retirement plan/ Looks like you do a fine job 🙂

• Chica Andaluza November 26, 2014 at 16:24 #

It most certainly is the retirement plan – but my knees are already feeling older than the rest of my body after doing those floors 😉

21. Novita November 26, 2014 at 10:58 #

that’s a good job for you.

22. Margot @ Gather and Graze November 26, 2014 at 12:01 #

Wow, what a fabulous transformation – lovely to see both the old and new photos! Hope you find a little time to relax and unwind between projects.

• Chica Andaluza November 26, 2014 at 16:26 #

Thank you for your kind words – the next project is our own house so no mad rush…we’ll enjoy Christmas first!

23. Celia @ Fig Jam and Lime Cordial December 1, 2014 at 11:23 #

What a beautiful job you’ve done! Although I’m sure they’ll desperately miss the pebble-creted, shag carpeted, flock wallpapered toilet! 😉

24. fati's recipes December 5, 2014 at 04:40 #

Wow wow wow. I LOVE what you did with the kitchen (and the rest of the house of course). Relax well in the meantime 😉

25. oliverswife January 14, 2015 at 22:57 #

Looks great! I think its brilliant that you re-use what you can, it keeps some of the character.

• Chica Andaluza January 15, 2015 at 09:46 #

We enjoy renovating old properties over new ones, and as far as we can we retain or restore as many old (but practical!) featuees as possible.

26. Sandal Boneka Murah April 16, 2015 at 03:11 #

Really like the interior . Because I am also pleased with a clean, comfortable and spacious .

27. Manfaat Minyak Zaitun August 28, 2015 at 15:18 #

Decorating the house we can say easy easy difficult. Because one puts something it would seem narrow.

28. Kursus ACLS August 18, 2016 at 11:38 #

It looks so clean. I’m very like