No cooking…but some patchworking and quilting

11 Jan

So, the quilt was completed the day before Christmas Eve. A special present to me and Big Man made by my own fair hands. And the terrible thing is that now I’m hooked!

The Road to Health Quilt (5)

It was made entirely by hand apart from the strips I added to widen it and the first run round of the binding.

The Road to Health Quilt (11)

The strips are green, not blue as they look in the photo – and just look at that binding…thanks Kate!

Ok, so it’s not perfect and I had to restitch the initial quilting as it was so awful. But I did keep one line of it in, next to the final attempt to show myself that practice makes better (but not yet perfect!).

Dodgy Big Stitches next to slightly less dodgy and a bit smaller stitches...

Dodgy Big Stitches next to slightly less dodgy and a bit smaller stitches…

There are plenty of wonky lines, but hey, that adds to the charm. And I’m sticking with that (wonky) line.

The Road to Health Quilt (10)

For details of the quilt pattern and fabric, take a look here and here.

And now that I’m hooked, I just couldn’t help myself when these fabrics on sale called out to me…was it Oscar Wilde who said “I can resist everything except temptation”?!

The Road to Health Quilt (1)

A big thank you to both Kate from talltalesfromchiconia (especially her quilt binding tutorial) and Evie  (check out the link for her Chateau Quilt) over at Pendle Stitches for their advice and encouragement, especially when I started the hand quilting of the quilt top – I was all set to give up, but thanks to their kind words I pushed on and gradually became addicted…

51 Responses to “No cooking…but some patchworking and quilting”

1. Ruth January 11, 2015 at 23:50 #

What a lovely cozy handstitched work of heart. Beautiful comfort. Stitch on!

• Chica Andaluza January 13, 2015 at 09:45 #

“Work of heart” – what a beautiful way of expressing it! Thank you J

2. katechiconi January 12, 2015 at 00:01 #

You’re very welcome! And practice really does make perfect with hand quilting, so you’d better get on and start the next quilt! Anything else I can help with?

• Chica Andaluza January 13, 2015 at 09:46 #

Thank you again Kate. I’ve already started on the next one – am “winging it” regarding the design this time, just making it up as I go along. I think I have a hundred more questions for you so will fire some of them your way soon J

3. Margot @ Gather and Graze January 12, 2015 at 00:40 #

Fabulous work Tanya! Looks like you’ve used some beautiful fabric to create your quilt! What’s next??

• Chica Andaluza January 13, 2015 at 09:47 #

Thank you Margot. I’ve started on another quilt which I’m making up as I go along, plus a few dressmaking projects in the wings and we need to get started on the renovation of our own property….you know I like to be busy!

4. cecilia January 12, 2015 at 01:55 #

What a stunning collection of colours too, beautifully made.. c

5. Linne January 12, 2015 at 02:02 #

Beautiful quilt and I love the new fabrics, too. Did you know that when a Navajo weaver makes a rug, she adds a ‘mistake’ on purpose? Thee belief, I was told, is that only God makes anything perfect, so it’s their way of remaining humble. So I use that, too, when I have mistakes in my work (although mine aren’t deliberate lol). ~ Linne

• Chica Andaluza January 12, 2015 at 13:14 #

What a lovely story – I will have to tell everyone!

6. cathyandchucky January 12, 2015 at 03:58 #

I love quilting but it is extremely addictive and you get to become quite the hoarder when it comes to buying the “fat squares” of yummy fabric designs 😄

• Chica Andaluza January 13, 2015 at 09:49 #

Oh I know what you mean – I already have a little stash accumulating!

7. Tandy | Lavender and Lime January 12, 2015 at 04:55 #

I think traditionally there is meant to be an incorrect stitch somewhere. Well done on your achievement 🙂

• Chica Andaluza January 13, 2015 at 09:50 #

I am feeling reassured that incorrect stitches are not such a bad thing! Thank you Tandy J

8. Soup Guru January 12, 2015 at 06:28 #

Amazing! Beatiful quilt! You handy and resourceful girl…

• Chica Andaluza January 13, 2015 at 09:50 #

Thank you miss SoupGuru – I do love to learn new things!

• Soup Guru January 13, 2015 at 09:52 #

Thank you! Just posted a new soup last weekend, I’m back! 🙂

• Chica Andaluza January 13, 2015 at 09:57 #

I’m catching up this morning, so I’ll be popping over soon!

9. idiosyncratic eye January 12, 2015 at 12:14 #

Happy crafting! 🙂

10. Mad Dog January 12, 2015 at 12:45 #

I think it look fantastic – hand made is much better than machined 😉

• Chica Andaluza January 13, 2015 at 09:51 #

Thanks Mad – I’m a huge fan of the old ways over the new (mostly)!

• Mad Dog January 13, 2015 at 12:02 #

Me too 🙂

11. narf77 January 12, 2015 at 17:59 #

That quilt is amazing Ms Chica! I bow to your “wonky stitches” as I can’t sew. Poor Stevie-boy has to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous turning up if he ever brings “too long” trousers into the house (that rarely get worn out 😉 ). I never learned to sew but am in complete and utter admiration at people who can. Most addictions result in the decline of the addict but this completely and utterly gorgeous addiction can only be good. Lovely work Ms Chica…lubby jubbly 🙂

• Chica Andaluza January 13, 2015 at 09:53 #

Well thank you Ms Narf. Maybe you should save up your sewing for me to do (like my bestie does) but I suspect Stevie-boy would need his clothes back sooner than we could turn them around and the air miles on the package would be phenomenal! I think I have already become fully addicted as am part way through the next one with no idea what it will finish up like, how big it will be or indeed who or where it’s for….hooked methinks!

• narf77 January 13, 2015 at 19:14 #

Oh yeah baby, you are seriously hooked! But as I said, there are worse things to be hooked on and if you end up with some seriously scrumptious results (as you have), imagine the joy on people’s faces when you gift them the results? 🙂

12. 76sanfermo January 12, 2015 at 18:59 #

I’m in admiration or your “capolavoro” !
    Thank you for sharing with us such a beautiful artwork!

13. Amanda January 12, 2015 at 22:49 #

This is seriously gorgeous, Chica. You have a real talent and how exciting to become obsessed with something new!

• Chica Andaluza January 13, 2015 at 09:54 #

That’s so kind Amanda – I can’t tell you how much I enjoyed making it!

14. themateriallady January 12, 2015 at 23:44 #

What a beautiful quilt. I have never tried patchwork or quilting and I am sure you must have spent months making your quilt – but if I thought I would get even half as pretty a result I might be persuaded!

• Chica Andaluza January 13, 2015 at 09:56 #

It took me 3 months to make from start to finish, I know people can turn around a machine stitched one in a couple of days and I am sure I’ll also try this method soon. It was done to distract me from a few stresses and it was the perfect antidote as I could sit in the evening sewing small sections by hand. Very restful and lovely to see the blocks emerge from scraps of material. I bet you’ve got a massive stash of fabric to play with if you ever decided to give it a go!

15. Food,Photography & France January 13, 2015 at 11:47 #

Very fabulous, Tanya…..nice pressie:)

• Chica Andaluza January 13, 2015 at 20:59 #

Thanks Roger – it was appreciated now that the weather has turned very cold here!

16. PendleStitches January 13, 2015 at 12:29 #

I’m not convinced this is your first attempt. This is simply beautiful. You must be so thrilled, and pleased that you kept going. I can’t wait to see what you do with the new fabrics. So exciting.

• Chica Andaluza January 13, 2015 at 21:00 #

I did make one with hexies which took me 15 years to make but it was so bad I didn’t count it!

17. bitsandbreadcrumbs January 13, 2015 at 16:13 #

A really, really beautiful quilt, Tanya. You obviously have a natural talent for putting together patterns and color to make an intricate and pleasing whole effect. Very well done, indeed!

18. Linda January 13, 2015 at 16:42 #

I absolutely love this! I really wish I had your talent..and time for quilting. It’s beautiful and being handmade all the more special.

• Chica Andaluza January 13, 2015 at 21:02 #

It’s certainly time consuming if you do it by hand – luckily I am (for the moment) time rich!

19. restlessjo January 15, 2015 at 13:44 #

Handstitched, Tanya? Good grief- I might have finished for the Christmas after next! 🙂 Love that red paisley square. I might have to commission one 🙂

• Chica Andaluza January 15, 2015 at 14:26 #

It’s a bit sad isn’t it that I enjoyed doing it by hand – would love to make you something!

20. TBM January 18, 2015 at 23:42 #

I prefer wonky lines. Adds character. We have several quilts that were given to us as Christmas gifts and we love them.

21. Maulana Angga January 20, 2015 at 13:54 #

it is good, with some practice knitting will definitely wonderful plasticity. plus exciting creative ideas

22. Karen January 31, 2015 at 22:51 #

A job well done! I have three antique patchwork quilts and every time that I look at all the work that was done by hand to make them, I’m always amazed.

• Chica Andaluza February 3, 2015 at 23:00 #

So many hours and hours of work, and so many thousands of tiny stitches!

23. Jaketanakkarakter July 1, 2015 at 10:33 #

24. Jaketanakkarakter July 1, 2015 at 10:33 #

25. obatherbalpalingmurah September 3, 2015 at 08:35 #

wow , this really extraordinary , from simple ingredients into a perfect shape , it looks like I have to always be updated in order to further increase my insight :*)