Patchwork Progress

13 Nov

I apologise for the lack of cooking and recipe posts recently. I have made some new dishes, a wonderful beef casserole a few days ago but the photos – not so good…

Anyway, some of you know that I am a crafty Chica (of the creative rather than sly kind) when I’m not cooking or renovating. My latest project is a patchwork quilt, which almost follows a pattern and is being made by hand. Time for a big thank you to a new blogging pal, Kate over at talltalesfromchiconia, who has an amazing blog full of beautiful projects and a lot of quilts! She has been giving me, a humble novice quilter, some really great tips – thanks Kate!

Varios Nov 011

So, just to give some “technical” details for anyone interested, the pattern is based on one called Garden Walk from the book Jelly Roll Dreams compiled by Pam and Nicky Lintott. I used a Moda Jelly Roll (I think the colour was called Holly Wishes which turned out to be quite Christmassy!) plus extra fabric.

The blocks are now completed but I want to make the quilt wider to properly cover our King Size bed, so will be adding a contrast of sashes vertically between the rows of four blocks.

Varios Nov 016

The next step is to assemble the quilt block and then make the quilt “sandwich” and start hand quilting…

53 Responses to “Patchwork Progress”

1. katechiconi November 13, 2014 at 08:34 #

You’re very welcome! Let me know if there’s anything I can do by way of tutorials or even just advice… Love your Moda fabrics – there’s so much you can do with a jelly roll, and it saves hours and hours of cutting.

• Chica Andaluza November 13, 2014 at 08:44 #

It was a treat to myself as they’re quite expensive but bizarrely using them gave me the confidence to realise that I can use the rotary cutter, board and ruler quite well and am now starting to build up a stash of fabrics in England (while thinking wistfully of the enormous stash I have in Spain which will have to travel with us next time)! Thank you for the help and inspiration 🙂

• katechiconi November 13, 2014 at 09:05 #

It’s no trouble. I’ve been sewing all my life, and some things I just don’t even need to think about. So actually, it’s big fun breaking a job down into stages that are easy to follow.

2. thecompletebook November 13, 2014 at 10:44 #

Beautiful! I have never quilted – is that the right term? I do however knit and crochet, well not for the longest while either!
    Your quilt is gorgeous and I hope you share a picture when it is finished.
    Have a wonderful day.
    🙂 Mandy xo

• Chica Andaluza November 14, 2014 at 09:07 #

Quilted is indeed the right term! I am looking forward to the moment it’s finished and I’ll be excited to show you the photo J

3. Food,Photography & France November 13, 2014 at 11:25 #

Such a good looking quilt…our new cat would have that in shreds in no time:)

• Chica Andaluza November 14, 2014 at 09:07 #

I think if one of my dogs could get her paws into it she’d rip it to bits with her teeth!

4. Eha November 13, 2014 at 12:04 #

Methinks this is going to be a beautiful quilt and I hope we’ll see it finished – have been on Kate’s site before and I believe you are very lucky if she will mentor you! [No cats in the house, are there 😉 ? ] I have knitted professionally at one stage in my life for over five years but have no expertise in this art at all . . .

• Chica Andaluza November 14, 2014 at 09:08 #

I’m looking forward to seeing the final quilt when it’s done. Kate has been brilliant, offering some fantastic advice. Knitting professionally? I’m intrigued!

• Eha November 14, 2014 at 10:56 #

[big smile] Well, if one is silly enough not to take an erstwhile longterm husband to the ‘cleaners’ upon divorce, one may get the short straw as far as finances go! To help: older daughter’s MIL who had over 200 ‘home knitters’ for her fabulous Australiana collection for tourists!! So one knitted endless koalas and kangaroos and emus and gum leaves . . . would you believe at 50 dollars a garment – each taking 10-12 days !!!!! Sometimes there are no options even with quite a few uni degrees in hand 🙂 !! Actually look back and know I enjoyed the time!!!!

• Chica Andaluza November 14, 2014 at 13:11 #

What an experience – same happened to me but I taught cookery classes for a pittance L I look back now and smile though!

5. Margot @ Gather and Graze November 13, 2014 at 12:47 #

It’s looking fabulous Tanya! I’m so impressed that you’re going to hand quilt it too, once it’s all pieced together!

• Chica Andaluza November 14, 2014 at 09:09 #

Well…I haven’t started the and quilting yet…I may decide it was a crazy idea!

6. Mad Dog November 13, 2014 at 13:20 #

Excellent – that looks fantastic 🙂

7. Ginger November 13, 2014 at 17:18 #

What a beautiful quilt! You are one amazing chica!

8. spicegirlfla November 13, 2014 at 18:54 #

You are very crafty Tonya 🙂 I love this and so envy your talent and patience!!

9. Amanda November 13, 2014 at 19:04 #

Wow you’re a genius. That’s so cool. Thanks for showing us your craft.

10. Michelle November 14, 2014 at 02:22 #

Wonderful! Except for a small wall hanging when I was very young and had a lot of time on my hands, I’ve never quilted. But I love the ones I own that others made.

• Chica Andaluza November 14, 2014 at 09:10 #

It’s lovely to think of all the love and work that went into every stitch!

11. Tandy | Lavender and Lime November 14, 2014 at 04:53 #

Don’t apologize and well done on tacking such a project 🙂

12. narf77 November 15, 2014 at 04:27 #

OOOOO! Scrumptious you clever little Chica! I am in awe and bowing to your creative genius :). What a lubbly jubbly quilt 🙂

• Chica Andaluza November 15, 2014 at 09:20 #

The Devil Makes Work for Idle Hands as my granny used to say….and I’d much rather work for myself than that old devil!

13. TheDorsetFinca November 15, 2014 at 08:59 #

Wow! You have made so much progress – it’s looking great. 🙂

• Chica Andaluza November 15, 2014 at 09:21 #

Thank you – I made a huge crochet one last year for a pal, it was time to try something different!

14. bitsandbreadcrumbs November 16, 2014 at 18:25 #

SO creative! This is something I could never do but have such great admiration for those who can sew so well…especially quilting and embroidery. What a gorgeous quilt this is shaping up to be. Can’t wait to see the finished product!

• Chica Andaluza November 16, 2014 at 20:02 #

Thank you for your kind words Betsy – have been enjoying working on it today and the quilt top is ever so nearly finished – onto the quilting next!

15. restlessjo November 17, 2014 at 20:40 #

It looks very effective, Tanya. Some of the fabrics are really pretty. 🙂

• Chica Andaluza November 17, 2014 at 20:45 #

It was something called a Jelly Roll – which is 40 strips of pre-cut fabric which are supposed to work well with each other. I like some more than others but it’s given me the confidence to know I can go it alone next time J

16. Karen November 17, 2014 at 21:56 #

You have certainly been a busy lady…your quilt will be lovely when finished. Now what in the world do you do in your spare time? 😀

• Chica Andaluza November 18, 2014 at 11:57 #

Thank you Karen! In my spare time I think up new projects to keep me busy 😉

• Karen November 18, 2014 at 12:44 #

Your too funny. 😀

17. Celia @ Fig Jam and Lime Cordial November 18, 2014 at 21:31 #

Tanya, it’s stunning! I’ve never been able to patchwork – all those little pieces of fabric going together in a set pattern – I can’t fold a road map back up, let alone do something like that! 🙂

• Chica Andaluza November 19, 2014 at 20:51 #

Celia – come to think of it, I’m a bit rubbish with road maps too so maybe I’m just a bit of an oddball 😉

18. Bagio November 19, 2014 at 00:17 #

I’ll wait…. thanks

19. PendleStitches November 20, 2014 at 13:01 #

Not only is that absolutely stunning, but I’m in awe of how speedily you’ve sewn that together. I’m hanging my head in shame that I’m still only halfway through my hexie quilt.

• Chica Andaluza November 20, 2014 at 22:39 #

I’ve completely finished the quilt top but I added sashes and wider borders than the pattern called for (I wanted it to drape over the sides of our king sized bed) but I did those bits with the machine as it wasn’t such a challenge! Today I bought the batting, backing and a quilting hoop and got chatting to some lovely ladies in the shop who gave me lots of handy hints. How did you transfer your quilting pattern onto your quilt top? I remember it being very beautiful!

• PendleStitches November 24, 2014 at 20:43 #

I traced it on with pencil and tracing paper if it was a complex shape. Or used a paper template to draw round for simpler ones. Do email me if you need more help. Im no expert but happy to share what bit i to know. X

• Chica Andaluza November 24, 2014 at 21:38 #

Ooh thank you – I am starting with straight lines but my stitches look sooooo big which is stressing me out but I can’t seem to make them any smaller L And my finger already hurts!

• PendleStitches November 25, 2014 at 09:31 #

I thought that about my stitches but honestly they will look fine when its done. A thimble is your very best friend. And taking your time. 😉 slow is the only way. X

• Chica Andaluza November 25, 2014 at 13:05 #

Wise words – I am having moments of wanting to give up …but “no”…I’ve got this far!

• PendleStitches November 25, 2014 at 14:57 #

nooooooo!!!! Don’t give up. It will be so worth it!

• Chica Andaluza November 26, 2014 at 16:15 #

I got going last night and almost finished one block…hurrah!

• PendleStitches November 26, 2014 at 18:22 #

😀

20. Maulana Angga January 20, 2015 at 14:09 #

Very creative activities, I want to try it too. looks cool, although a little difficult but it should be attempted. I want to see the end result

21. The Chair's Antique January 21, 2017 at 05:44 #

wow,……
    so unique
    good job

22. aida tour February 6, 2017 at 08:03 #

your craft is very beautifull.. i think it really nice..

1. No cooking…but some patchworking and quilting | Chica Andaluza - January 11, 2015

[…] For details of the quilt pattern and fabric, take a look here and here. […]