24 Mar

Reblochon is a delicious soft French cheese which is wonderful eaten “as is” but when cooked in a typical dish of Tartiflette, reaches another level of gorgeousness. Well, if you love soft creamy melted cheese it does!

The weather in England taunted us with its spring like warmth and Big Man decided that it was perfect weather to start painting the outside of our seaside house. Of course, day one was perfect as we prepared. We covered what felt like miles of guttering with newspaper and masking tape. We bought paint and thinner and got our brushes and rollers ready. Day two the painting commenced. And the clouds moved in, the temperature dropped and rain looked ominous. We were working at the back of the house which gets the sun, so at least when there was a break in the clouds we could enjoy a little of its warmth.

Tartiflette (3)

Day three, second coat of paint. The clouds were there to stay. The odd splash of rain (or was it a passing seagull?…I prefer not to dwell on it). But we persevered. Luckily the paint was made for British Weather (oh yes, the word Weather deserves a Capital Letter) and dries in 20 minutes.

Job done but we were chilled through. Time for some hearty Alpine food, and to hell with the calories!

Ingredients (to serve 3-4 people)

• ½ Reblochon cheese (the original recipe calls for a whole one but we found half to be plenty)
  • About 700g small or medium potatoes in their skins
  • 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and sliced thinly
  • 4 shallots, peeled and sliced thinly
  • 6 rashers of smoked streaky bacon, cut into small strips (or use a packet of lardons)
  • About half a glass of dry white wine
  • 100ml cream
  • Black pepper

Boil the potatoes in their skins until just cooked (timing will depend on their size but probably 15-20 mins). Drain and leave to cool slightly before peeling them. These can also be prepared ahead and left to go cold before peeling and slicing not too thinly.

In a frying pan with a little oil, add the bacon, garlic and onions and fry until the bacon starts to go crispy and the onions brown a little at the edges. Pour in the wine and cook until about half the wine has evaporated.

In an ovenproof dish put about half the potatoes, then the bacon and onion mix and then the rest of the potatoes. Now slice your cheese in half so that you have two half moon shapes and lay these on top of the potatoes. Keep the skin on the cheese and if it helps to distribute over the top more evenly, cut into triangles.

Tartiflette (6)

Pour the cream over the whole thing and season with black pepper. Bake at about 200C for around 30 minutes or until the cheese is starting to become golden and the cream is bubbling. Delicious with a simple salad.

And don’t forget to wash your paint brushes or you won’t be able to use them again….

For a vegetarian version of this dish, pop over to Promenade Planting and see Claire’s great version!

52 Responses to “Tartiflette – a dish to warm the soul (but only if you’re not counting the calories)”

1. Lynn March 24, 2015 at 10:25 #

I will definitely be giving this a go. The best Tartiflette I have had is from L’Experience in Douglas on the Isle of Man.

• Chica Andaluza March 26, 2015 at 12:35 #

I remember one Maria made for me a while back as being pretty good!

2. thecompletebook March 24, 2015 at 11:23 #

Hope to see some photos of your seaside home during its renovation Tanya and them tatties are the business – scrumity!
    Have a beautiful day and here’s to more sunshine for you.
    🙂 Mandy xo

• Chica Andaluza March 26, 2015 at 12:35 #

Yes, I need to sort out some photos J Rain today here …. L

3. themateriallady March 24, 2015 at 11:29 #

I love tartiflette but it has to be a very occasional treat!

4. Mad Dog March 24, 2015 at 12:20 #

That sounds so good I could eat it now 😉

• Chica Andaluza March 26, 2015 at 12:39 #

It was a most welcome dish to chase away the cold chills!

5. 76sanfermo March 24, 2015 at 12:31 #

I’m still wondering how Reblochon could be substituted here in Italy…
    I’d never heard about this miraculous dish before , but it sounds so splendid!
    No doubt ,I’ll look for it !

6. Promenade Claire March 24, 2015 at 13:07 #

Thanks for the shout out! Had I known this was on the menu in Bexhill I would have hoped on a train.
    The outside of ours is due for painting this year. … so I’m wondering if its ok to eat tartiflette in summer 🙂

• Chica Andaluza March 26, 2015 at 12:52 #

Tartiflette in the summer is allowed – as long as you schedule a siesta afterwards!

7. cookinginsens March 24, 2015 at 14:32 #

Mah-velous!

8. Ria March 24, 2015 at 15:36 #

Oh yum! That looks delicious xx

9. PendleStitches March 24, 2015 at 15:42 #

Tartiflette has everything…cheese, cream, tatties, wine, garlic. So, so lovely…I can feel the extra weight settling on my middle just looking at the photos! 😉

10. lucyabakes March 24, 2015 at 17:34 #

Tartiflette is my favourite thing in winter! I really like Rachel Khoo’s version as it is a little lighter.

11. Sandal Boneka March 24, 2015 at 17:38 #

good for dinner yes, should it so want to buy

12. Sandal Boneka March 24, 2015 at 17:45 #

really hungry if you see good food

13. narf77 March 24, 2015 at 18:52 #

I am in love. Alas…it is a love that can’t be consumated. Je Suis desole…

14. Peri's Spice Ladle March 24, 2015 at 20:11 #

When it comes to comfort food, there’s no counting calories! I can’t almost taste this delicious sauce with a crusty bread to mop it up:) Lovely recipe…

15. Cecilia Mary Gunther March 25, 2015 at 02:13 #

wonderful, i must have some.. I have not eaten this cheese .. YET! c

• Chica Andaluza March 26, 2015 at 12:57 #

I bet some of your lovely farm cheese (when you start milking) would be fabulous too!

• Cecilia Mary Gunther March 26, 2015 at 13:48 #

And just imagine some of the fresh goats cheese when I start to milk them! Though we have to wait a YEAR! c

• Chica Andaluza March 26, 2015 at 15:37 #

The best things are worth waiting for!

16. Tandy | Lavender and Lime March 25, 2015 at 04:53 #

I am busy painting as well! I will look out for this cheese next month when we are in France 🙂

17. Food,Photography & France March 25, 2015 at 09:36 #

Very good dish indeed….although I feel exhausted after eating eating it ! Seriously heavy…but delicious:)

• Chica Andaluza March 26, 2015 at 13:03 #

Yes, it’s a dish which always needs to end with a good lie down!

18. expatchef March 25, 2015 at 14:25 #

Ohhhhh….kill me now cause this is not in my belly! All the things I love in one plate. Can you believe I have never tried this??? Looks amazing….but alas, I am watching the calories now. But will have to make this next winter when I want a significant pudge in my middle to keep me warm!

• Chica Andaluza March 26, 2015 at 13:03 #

Yes, this is most definitely not one for calorie counters L

19. Margot @ Gather and Graze March 26, 2015 at 04:19 #

Lovely! I’ve heard of Tartiflette, but unfortunately never tried it before… thanks for the recipe Tanya – this will be a great winter warmer! 🙂

20. Amanda | What's Cooking March 27, 2015 at 21:25 #

Oh this looks lovely and so hearty! Wow. Perfect comfort food!

21. abdunnavi March 28, 2015 at 03:55 #

nice post,….
    look deliciouse

22. cathyandchucky March 29, 2015 at 04:04 #

Potatoes, bacon and cheese! What more could a gal want? 😍

23. bitsandbreadcrumbs March 29, 2015 at 18:55 #

Well deserved decadence and I’m glad you were able to get the painting done in spite of threatening weather.

24. waterfallsandcaribous March 31, 2015 at 05:42 #

Oh wow.

25. Raden June 1, 2015 at 00:19 #

whether foods like this could make fat ? Hmmmmm looks delicacies once.

• Burhan October 27, 2015 at 15:50 #

when i show this article to my close friend. without thinking she asked me to make this food

26. Suci Purnamasari March 3, 2016 at 06:03 #

hemmm delicacies once so wanted to taste the food like that