Beautiful Bavette from Boulogne

29 Mar

Our recent whistle stop trip to France to stock up on wine and food goodies gave me the chance to buy a cut of meat which is not widely used in England. I think it’s also known as Flank or Skirt steak but is more typically used for slow cooking, usually being cut into larger chunks. It’s not an expensive cut of meat and can be simply flash fried. Adding a marinade helps to tenderise it (it’s very flavoursome but not a meltingly tender cut like sirloin or fillet). It also reminded me of the Spanish Secreto Iberico.

Bavette (3)

This is a delicious treat which I served with pan fried mushrooms and a glass of red wine. Well, maybe it was two glasses!

Taken from a BBC Good Food Recipe

Ingredients

• Two bavette Steaks
  • Olive oil for cooking
  • 2 tbsp soy sauce
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 2-3 crushed garlic cloves
  • thumb-sized piece ginger, grated
  • juice ½ lemon
  • 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tbsp honey
  • 1 rosemary sprig, bruised

Mix all the marinade ingredients together, pour over the meat and cover. Leave for a couple of hours at least, overnight if possible.

When you are ready to eat, get your griddle pan searingly hot and scrape the marinade off the meat. And rub a little olive oil onto both sides of each steak. Cook to your liking (although this meat is not so good well done) about 2 minutes on each side for rare, 3-4 minutes for medium rare.

Enjoy!

33 Responses to “Beautiful Bavette from Boulogne”

1. abdunnavi March 29, 2015 at 09:41 #

wow amazing,…
    very nice

2. Mad Dog March 29, 2015 at 10:57 #

Bavette steak has more flavour than some of the tender cuts of steak, but is very good done quickly like yours, especially in that delicious marinade 😉

• Chica Andaluza March 29, 2015 at 11:06 #

We really enjoyed it – tasted wonderful! I guess this is what they use when you get the cheaper “menu du jour” and order steak and chips? Perhaps not as big as ours though!

• Mad Dog March 29, 2015 at 11:15 #

I think you are right, but they say that all the old fashioned butchers here kept the flank for themselves because the taste was much better than other cuts 😉

• Chica Andaluza March 29, 2015 at 11:32 #

Wise butchers – and I guess they deserve a few perks!

• Mad Dog March 29, 2015 at 11:53 #

Definitely!

3. narf77 March 29, 2015 at 18:33 #

It most certainly looks “Spanish” Ms Chica. You dun it proud, although I was wondering how you were going to make a barrette taste good…these early mornings are starting to get to me! 😉

• Chica Andaluza March 29, 2015 at 18:43 #

Early mornings – eek 🙂 Mind you, you have had a lot of practice! Maybe you should start with that great Spanish tradition of the siesta 🙂

• narf77 March 30, 2015 at 08:04 #

In that case, Ms Chica, wouldn’t it be actually called a “sleep in?” 😉

• Chica Andaluza March 30, 2015 at 10:12 #

For you it would!

4. restlessjo March 29, 2015 at 18:38 #

This would go down well with the other half, Tanya. Maybe I’ll treat him one of these days 🙂

5. bitsandbreadcrumbs March 29, 2015 at 18:53 #

I’ve not heard of Bavette steak, but we have flank and skirt steak here. We love to marinate it and grill it outdoors. I love your marinade and will try that on our next flank steak!

• Chica Andaluza March 29, 2015 at 23:14 #

I think it must be the same thing! Do give the marinade a try, it was delicious J

6. Tandy | Lavender and Lime March 30, 2015 at 05:53 #

I ate bavette in Nevers and it was quite delicious 🙂

7. Eha March 30, 2015 at 06:29 #

Any of those supposedly ‘tough’ steaks prepped this way: OMG delicious 🙂 !

• Chica Andaluza March 30, 2015 at 10:12 #

Yes, I think the marinade really helps to tenderise meat!

8. Dorset Finca March 30, 2015 at 11:56 #

Mr D-F would certainly be in favour of this recipe! It looks delish! 🙂

9. Food,Photography & France March 30, 2015 at 16:19 #

Such a good simple lunch…bavette et sauce echalote…how do they fit that into a 3 course meal with wine included for 9€ in a “menu ouvrier”? I can never work it out.

• Chica Andaluza March 30, 2015 at 16:53 #

I don’t know how they do it either – but I’m so glad they do!

• Eha March 31, 2015 at 02:08 #

Roger, shall ask you for directions next year when I hope to arrive on the French soil after quite some time!! Wow!!!

10. cookinginsens March 30, 2015 at 20:49 #

Really gorgeous and those mushrooms!

11. Pabrik Sandal Boneka April 15, 2015 at 06:12 #

I think this is a very good recipe , if I may try to make it ?

12. Burhan April 15, 2015 at 11:08 #

The food is unique, because there is no food in the country like this.

13. Raden June 1, 2015 at 00:12 #

I love the meat- based foods, definitely tasty flavors in this recive.

14. obatherbalpalingmurah August 24, 2015 at 09:09 #

This really tempting recipes . I wanted to try cooking

• Chica Andaluza August 24, 2015 at 22:37 #

I do hope you are able to try some of them and enjoy them!

15. Debby Aripianusari May 7, 2016 at 03:59 #

hmm, yummy 😀 i like it

recipes and more to inspire you ♥