Some days you just never know who will be at the door…

29 May

Well, we certainly don’t get visitors like this in Bexhill on Sea!

Hay dias cuando nunca se sabe quien va a tocar a la puerta!

Cabras 001Cabras 003Cabras 002Cabras 004

I took these photos just a few minutes ago (15:30) and seeing how dry and washed out the colours of the “campo” already look confirm that it’s going to be a long hot summer here in Andalucia.

The track that runs past our house is the GR7, a long distance footpath that runs from Southern Spain through to Alsace in France. Fortunately for the goats, they were only going a little way to graze under some nearby olive trees.

42 Responses to “Some days you just never know who will be at the door…”

1. Lynn May 29, 2015 at 16:17 #

Were they looking for their nanny? L x x

2. Mad Dog May 29, 2015 at 17:24 #

How brilliant – I would have been attempting to lure a couple of them into the back garden! They look wonderfully fit with beautiful shiny coats.
    That reminds me of a bit in Paul Richardson’s “A Late Dinner,” where he takes part in an old fashioned sheep drive up ancient roads in the middle of Spain – right through the center of Madrid. I was particularly interested in the account of chorizo and bacalao wrapped in cloth, that served as staple rations, keeping well in the heat, for the duration of the journey 😉

• Chica Andaluza May 29, 2015 at 18:39 #

Big Man would have had one on the bbq before the goatherd even noticed if he’d been here at the time 😉 I love how you know about all these amazing books. I looked it up and am going to order it when I get back to England (by the way, I got your cazuela this week!). I don’t know if you’ve ever seen the series (the first one is the best) called Un Pais Para Comerselo. It features the two main actors from Cuentamé Como Paso who are good friends in real life and they travel to different parts of Spain to enjoy the food and drink. It’s really interesting and the dynamic between them is brilliant!

• Mad Dog May 29, 2015 at 19:26 #

I’ve got a lamb, chorizo and chickpea dish bubbling away in the oven – I’m sure a bit of goat would enhance the flavor!
        Thanks for getting the cazuela – it will be an absolute joy to cook with one again.
        I’ve never heard of Un Pais Para Comerselo, but I’ll have to have a look for it on the web – it sounds like my kind of TV – perhaps a bit Two Greedy Italians…

• Chica Andaluza May 29, 2015 at 19:45 #

Very much like two greedy Italians! Your dish in the oven sounds muy rico. I am afraid that Big Man and I are putting on weight these few weeks here (not at all what the doctor ordered!) but everyone wants to take us out for meals…it’s hard to say no! Will see if we can fit a goat in the roof box 😉

• Mad Dog May 29, 2015 at 22:09 #

I think I definitely qualify as a greedy, though I tend to think of it as being “hungry” and blmae cycling!
        I found lots of Un Pais Para Comerselo on YouTube and watched the one on Barcelona to make myself homesick 😉

• Chica Andaluza May 30, 2015 at 09:17 #

Oh glad you found it – hope you enjoyed it J And I think with all that cycling around London you do, you deserve a medal for bravery as well as plenty of food to refuel!

• Mad Dog May 30, 2015 at 12:15 #

🙂

3. themateriallady May 29, 2015 at 20:15 #

How nice to have that sort of distraction. They all look very well! (And very barbecue ready 😉)

• Chica Andaluza May 30, 2015 at 09:19 #

I think they’re happy goats – they get to scramble around the countryside all day and if they ever have to go down a main road (or sometimes even through the village), everyone just stops to let them go by…most people don’t even comment on it, it’s such an everyday thing but it still makes me smile, even after all these years!

4. Ginger May 29, 2015 at 20:54 #

Trouble with the neighbours, Spanish style?! Now, if you’ve by any chance any leftover goat ……..

5. Eha May 30, 2015 at 03:08 #

What a fabulous sight – and to think the trail winds up all of Spain, across France to end practically in Germany!!! If they had had little bells around their necks it would have been quite a concerto 🙂 ! You talk of ‘Two Greedy Italians’ . . . well, odd as it may seem I am so thoroughly enjoying ‘The Hairy Bikers'” latest series from England . . . watched an hour on potatoes a few nights back and I do not even eat them!! Oh, did you know the best vodka in the world comes from Hampshire potatoes? Has won every comp worldwide . . .

• Chica Andaluza May 30, 2015 at 09:16 #

I enjoy The Hairy Bikers programmes too – it’s great when you have a programme when you can see that the dynamic between the presenters is genuine and the do present some “proper” recipes and food! My god daughters come from Hampshire and are of the age to appreciate vodka – shall have to ask them to do some research for me J

6. Saiful Bahri May 30, 2015 at 05:50 #

Amazing, many goats the goat reared or wild ?

• Chica Andaluza May 30, 2015 at 09:14 #

Reared but reared outside in the countryside and they stay outside the whole summer.

• Sandal Boneka June 1, 2015 at 10:17 #

The goats was maintained for what , meat for consumption or milked milk ?

• Chica Andaluza June 1, 2015 at 10:47 #

A little of both – most herds here are quite small and belong to an extended family so they will milk some and make cheese and the rest for meat.

7. Food,Photography & France May 30, 2015 at 09:37 #

Beautiful …love those goats…very brown and Spanish…fantastic idea of a footpath from Spain to Alsace: a clear view of how the world changes. Great to see you back in Spain:)

• Chica Andaluza May 30, 2015 at 14:43 #

Can you imagine how people must have made massively long treks on horseback (if they were lucky) or on foot. Amazing. And it’s lovely to be here, soaking it all up!

8. Tandy | Lavender and Lime May 30, 2015 at 13:53 #

How amazing!

9. cathyandchucky May 30, 2015 at 16:17 #

Beautiful photos Chica 😊.

• Chica Andaluza May 30, 2015 at 17:44 #

Thank you – the view and our surroundings are something we never want to take for granted!

10. The Seas Of Mintaka May 30, 2015 at 20:50 #

I’d love to get visits like that haha! Our visitors are usually from Tecnocasa asking us if we want to buy another home! I love goats, wouldn’t want to eat one though (too cute!).

11. narf77 May 30, 2015 at 21:53 #

Only in Spain 😉

• Chica Andaluza May 30, 2015 at 22:52 #

Cheeky Spanish goats!

• narf77 May 31, 2015 at 02:21 #

If you will provide them with a pathway to walk down, they will walk 😉

• Chica Andaluza May 31, 2015 at 10:07 #

Most profound and true. And actually, they’ll head off the beaten path too given half the chance!

• narf77 May 31, 2015 at 19:12 #

So you had better get those cushions on the sofa plumped up for your odiferous new besties Ms Chica 😉

12. Raden May 31, 2015 at 18:39 #

“an awful lot,are there easy to get grass which is the goat food.

13. kathryningrid June 1, 2015 at 20:04 #

That, as some might say here in Texas, is a ‘fine howdy-do’! Can’t think of anything that would delight and amuse me more than to open my door to that vision. 😀
    xo

• Chica Andaluza June 1, 2015 at 20:11 #

Love it – it was indeed a fine howdy do. Yesterday we had 2 donkeys wander past but I didn’t have the camera to hand!

14. PendleStitches June 4, 2015 at 17:44 #

Fabulous. The nearest we get to that here is when our dog escapes!

15. Maulana Angga June 6, 2015 at 07:15 #

Fabulous. So many the goats, in Indonesia herding called “ngangon” haha

16. jamuherbalginjal July 31, 2015 at 01:18 #

I love raising goats, but the land here has been narrow, how ya way out

17. obatherbalpalingmurah August 24, 2015 at 08:59 #

Lots of goats . Try to make recipes ” SATE ” goat ? Menu SATE Goat is very popular in Indonesia once .

• Chica Andaluza August 24, 2015 at 22:38 #

A lot of goat is eaten (rather than lamb) in Andalucia

18. kaoskarakter October 9, 2015 at 23:36 #

cake which uses goat’s milk as additional material is very good once I’ve tried it, very unusually delicious.

19. Suci Purnamasari March 4, 2016 at 03:27 #

Any animal can be line of march, and very neat. great shepherd 🙂