Slow Cooked Beef Ribs

26 May

Before we set off for Spain and the kingdom of the pig, we had one final beef-feast meal in England. We have a local butcher, a young man called Ben who is passionate about locally sourced, organic meat and providing new and exciting cuts of meat to his customers. We love to shop at his store and make the most of what he recommends.

Slow Cooked Beef Ribs (5)

The other week it was beef ribs, something I hadn’t eaten for years. Put images of the court of Henry VIII out of your mind, with massive roasts supported by half a cow. Something like that just wouldn’t fit in our modern day ovens! I bought six ribs which I asked him to separate into individual ribs, so that I could slow cook them. I had anticipated 2 ribs per person but after our prawn starter, we managed 4 ribs between 3 people – I leave it to you to decide if, like me, “your eyes are greedier than your belly” (as my grandmother used to say)!

It’s not a complicated dish to prepare, the impact of flavour comes from the long, slow cooking which can also be done in a conventional oven.

Ingredients (to feed 4-6 people)

• 6 beef ribs, separated into individual ribs
  • 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
  • 2 heaped tablespoons of tomato purée
  • 2 crushed cloves of garlic
  • A large sprig of rosemary
  • A glass of red wine (plus one for the cook)
  • Olive oil
  • Seasoning
  • Maldon (or kosher) salt

Heat a griddle pan to high and switch your slow cooker on to heat (or switch on the oven to low). Sear the ribs on all sides on a high heat until browned. You will probably need to do this in a couple of batches unless you have a huge griddle pan like me!

Slow Cooked Beef Ribs (1)

While they are being browned, gently heat a couple of tablespoons of oil in a deep frying pan. Add the garlic and as soon as it starts to soften, add the tomatoes, the tomato purée and the wine.  Bring to a gentle bubble, season lightly and pop the rosemary in. You are not looking to make a finished sauce at this point, just to get it started and to ensure that it’s hot when it goes into the slow cooker or oven.

Put the ribs into either the slow cooker or an oven dish which you can cover. Sprinkle lightly with Maldon salt and pour the sauce over. Cover the pot/slow cooker and be very, very patient. I cooked mine on low in the slow cooker for about 10 hours, turning them over gently 3 or 4 times during this period until the meat was falling off the bones. In a conventional oven I think 5 or 6 hours should be fine, and if you can make the dish a day ahead, even better.

Slow Cooked Beef Ribs (2)

Gently remove the ribs from the sauce, trying to keep the meat with the bones if (like us) you feel cheated if someone else gets your bone.

Slow Cooked Beef Ribs (6)

Put the sauce into a pan, remove the rosemary and reduce for about 10 minutes on a medium heat. If you want a silky smooth sauce, use a hand blender to sort out those little chunks of tomato. Taste and adjust the seasoning and serve the ribs with the sauce on the side so that strange folk like Big Man can eat them without and normal folk like me can smother them. Creamy mashed potato is always a good idea.

If you happen to be in beautiful Bexhill, do pop into London Road Butchers and say hello to Ben!

For more slow cooked dishes, why not try Slow Cooked Lamb Shanks or Mustard and Cider Chicken?

56 Responses to “Slow Cooked Beef Ribs”

1. cookinginsens May 26, 2015 at 13:33 #

Those-look-just-perfectly-cooked! Drool.

2. Ema Jones May 26, 2015 at 14:11 #

Meat is my all time fav! Perfect treat for any occasion 🙂

• Chica Andaluza May 26, 2015 at 14:28 #

I’ll defnintely be buying them again!

• Ema Jones May 28, 2015 at 14:59 #

Was going through your blog and juz loved “Crispy Prawns with Lemon Myrtle”.

• Chica Andaluza May 28, 2015 at 15:32 #

Thank you Ema – it was a new flavour for me and so very good 🙂

• Ema Jones May 29, 2015 at 07:13 #

One must keep trying new flavors.
        Try another variant of beef recipe,
        Beef in Red Wine…

• Chica Andaluza May 29, 2015 at 12:15 #

I agree – that recipe looks good, I love the deep flavours from slow cooking!

• Ema Jones June 1, 2015 at 07:51 #

I totally agree with u and that is what u call absolute taste. I would love pairing this with red wine.

3. Foodfhonebook May 26, 2015 at 14:16 #

Reblogged this on Foodfhonebook.

4. cathyandchucky May 26, 2015 at 14:36 #

Beautiful Chica 😍.

5. themateriallady May 26, 2015 at 14:38 #

Flintstone food! This looks fabulous – and perfect for the current British summer weather 😉

• Chica Andaluza May 26, 2015 at 16:31 #

You’re right and our little Dino Dinosaurs loved the bones!

6. Mad Dog May 26, 2015 at 14:59 #

What lovely big ribs – I’ve just had lunch but you made me hungry again 😉

• Chica Andaluza May 26, 2015 at 16:32 #

I expected them to melt away and be smaller by the time they were done – but they were still huge!

• Mad Dog May 26, 2015 at 17:04 #

Perfect!

7. Ria May 26, 2015 at 15:09 #

Ooooh they look scrummy! x

8. Jasline @ Foodie Baker May 26, 2015 at 15:20 #

Wow 10 hours of cooking, the meat must be falling off the bone so easily! This looks really delicious!

• Chica Andaluza May 26, 2015 at 16:33 #

It was, but I managed to get them out the pot still vaguely attached so that we could chomp on the bones too!

9. narf77 May 26, 2015 at 19:48 #

(I am reading this post in a whisper so that the vegan confraternity don’t have me lynched 😉 )

• Chica Andaluza May 26, 2015 at 21:03 #

Shhhhhhh……..they’re at a vegan conference right now so they haven’t noticed!

• narf77 May 27, 2015 at 22:29 #

(I think I got away with it. I remember beef ribs, DELICIOUS things! OOPS! I also remember the tray of beef fat I just put into the oven from trimming the dogs steak that I am going to make bird fat balls out of…it’s still in the oven! I can’t smell “burning” so hopefully Stevie-boy remembered to take it out or it’s in a cooler oven! Amazing how big of a paragraph you can whisper and in such urgent tones eh? 😉 )

• Chica Andaluza May 28, 2015 at 08:33 #

You are the ultimate vegan chick and we love you for it! Now go and banish those beefy memories from your mind as I know that despite us being on different ends of the meat eating spectrum, you too eat beautiful, delicious food! Your dogs get steak? I shall have to keep that quiet from my two!!

• narf77 May 28, 2015 at 19:37 #

😉

10. Diane Thorn May 27, 2015 at 01:27 #

Oh, yum. I’ve had to keep swallowing saliva as your description really hit my hungry genes. A perfect dish for out cold winter days. Thanks, Tanya.

• Chica Andaluza May 27, 2015 at 09:01 #

That’s the good thing about England – there will always be a cold day, no matter what season it is!

11. Eha May 27, 2015 at 03:24 #

So simple and appetizing that long and fancy recipes somehow promptly ‘fly out the window’! And we DO have winter coming or almost there Down Under! Methinks being friends with your butcher is the most important part of the dish actually! Those ribs look like ‘real’ food!!!

• Chica Andaluza May 27, 2015 at 09:01 #

It is good when you have a butcher/fishmonger you can engage with and trust! Glad you liked the recipe J

12. Gather and Graze May 27, 2015 at 05:29 #

These look so hearty and beautifully cooked Tanya! I need to bring my slow cooker up from the storage room for this winter… loving the classic sauce flavours you’ve used and after cooking for 10hrs the ribs have no option but to be perfectly tender and melt-in-the-mouth!

• Chica Andaluza May 27, 2015 at 09:02 #

I am a relative newbie to using the Slow Cooker but now I wouldn’t be without it!

13. Tandy | Lavender and Lime May 27, 2015 at 05:58 #

Slow cooked beef ribs are perfect for winter. And your butcher sounds amazing 🙂

14. Saiful Bahri May 27, 2015 at 08:36 #

There seems to be different and unique recipes , let’s try …

15. milkandbun May 27, 2015 at 12:05 #

Oh Gosh!!! Those ribs looking soooooooo mouthwatering! I wish I could have it for today lunch!

16. Michelle May 27, 2015 at 22:29 #

So funny that your grandmother said: “your eyes are greedier than your belly.” I remember when a kid in cafeteria lines my mother would always say: “Don’t let your eyes be bigger than your stomach.” Love the ribs!

17. Food,Photography & France May 28, 2015 at 08:28 #

Those are serious pieces of meat and i like the look of that deep, intense gravy…top:)

18. Dorset Finca May 28, 2015 at 09:18 #

The Kingdom of the Pig! I love it! 🙂

19. Amanda | What's Cooking May 28, 2015 at 17:23 #

Oh my oh my! How I love beef ribs. These look amazing. I’m so saving this recipe!

20. Barbara Bamber | justasmidgen May 29, 2015 at 01:34 #

It’s been forever since I’ve been able to sit down and read my favorite blogs! Thanks so much for stopping by mine.. it’s so wonderful to read through and see your recipe, such beautiful tummy-warming food all displayed here! xx

• Chica Andaluza May 29, 2015 at 10:19 #

Thank you Barbara! I think we’re all busy with real life right now – things can get hectic!

21. Raden May 31, 2015 at 18:52 #

Definitely delicious cuisine, a rib of beef cooked in spices and then grilled, in Indonesia the nama grilled spareribs oe it could be contrived sop sop konro name

• Chica Andaluza June 1, 2015 at 09:18 #

Hello Raden and thank you for all your comments on the posts – glad you are enjoying the blog!

• Raden June 1, 2015 at 13:44 #

You’re welcome 🙂

22. Maulana Angga June 6, 2015 at 07:23 #

Ooohhh they look delicious chicha!

23. jamuherbalginjal July 31, 2015 at 01:22 #

grilled beef ribs, hmmmm …. delicious once, often do you eat beef rib roast?

24. Debby Aripianusari April 23, 2016 at 04:26 #

want to taste a little taste 😀