When life gives you lemons…

17 Jan

Well…you just have to go ahead and pick them. Then you share the lemon love with friends and neighbours and make delicious dishes like Lemon Rice, Chicken with Za’atar and Lemon or even Lemon and Chili Mussels.

20160116_112125

We planted our little tree just over 7 years ago, not long after moving into our Cortijo, or home in the country.  Initially we despaired of ever getting a single lemon from it as, despite the fairly temperate climate all year round, we often get strong winds. Our tiny tree grew but the winds stripped the flowers (which were to be our lemons) and even the leaves from it. Getting 2 puppies a year later who loved to dig also added to the stress for our little tree.

20160116_112116

But, all good things come to those who wait. Just look at it now! We’ve been away for 2 months, and at the end of October it was bare of lemons as we’d given some away and picked the rest to take back to England. It seems our “Limonero Lunero” (a lemon tree which flowers every new moon so that you have lemons all year round) thrives on neglect. It’s been a very dry year, we haven’t been around much, and now it’s groaning with lemons.

20160116_113840

There are still plenty to be picked, but I made a start. Maybe we’ll have Lemon Ravioli this week…

57 Responses to “When life gives you lemons…”

1. Mad Dog January 17, 2016 at 12:51 #

Amazing! I’m so jealous 🙂

• Chica Andaluza January 17, 2016 at 16:41 #

Will have to pop a few lemons in with the oil for you 🙂

• Mad Dog January 17, 2016 at 16:53 #

Wow – thanks so much!

2. bitsandbreadcrumbs January 17, 2016 at 15:29 #

Oh, how I would love to get my hands on some of those lemons. We use lemon a lot and I’ve always wanted a tree, but we don’t have the climate for it or enough sun. Lovely tree!

• Chica Andaluza January 17, 2016 at 16:42 #

I remember my grandmother nurturing a little lemon tree in England when I was young. I don’t think it ever got so far as producing fruit and one autumn she didn’t bring it inside before the first frost and that was it. I couldn’t understand then why she was so upset…of course, now I do!

• bitsandbreadcrumbs January 18, 2016 at 18:03 #

Someone gave me a little lemon tree seedling last year and in spite of my best efforts, it stayed exactly the same size until it died. 😦 But, maybe some day I’ll have one! Meanwhile I will fantasize that it will look like yours!

• Chica Andaluza January 18, 2016 at 20:01 #

I think when we bought the young tree it was already several years old – we had a head start!

3. Cecilia Mary Gunther January 17, 2016 at 18:10 #

Oh I MISS having fresh lemons – Lucky you are – and such wonderful recipes .. c

4. themateriallady January 17, 2016 at 18:17 #

Lemon curd! And drizzle cake. Could you preserve some in salt like they use in middle eastern cooking? Can you tell I’m ridiculously jealous of that harvest?

• Chica Andaluza January 17, 2016 at 21:33 #

Oh yes, especially with all the eggs I have right now, lemon curd would be perfect 🙂 And who can resist lemon drizzle cake!

• themateriallady January 18, 2016 at 10:34 #

Not me. Although I am enjoying a very Enid Blyton seed cake at present. But then I don’t have lots of lemons!

• Chica Andaluza January 18, 2016 at 11:25 #

Seed cake – how wonderful! Haven’t had that for years J

5. maggie January 17, 2016 at 20:44 #

Glad you didn’t give up hope

6. Tandy | Lavender and Lime January 18, 2016 at 04:59 #

Wow! I shall look for that varietal here and hope the wind doesn’t take all the flowers 😀

7. TheDorsetFinca January 18, 2016 at 09:34 #

Oh wow! Look at those lovely lemons. The view of that lemon tree is massively different to the dreary one outside my window! 🙂

• Chica Andaluza January 18, 2016 at 10:08 #

I hear the weather has been a bit bleak this weekend in England L Think we may well be driving back through snow in France in about a week!

8. Food,Photography & France January 18, 2016 at 13:02 #

Very envious, indeed. I can never have enough lemons in my kitchen…I’m always using them in cakes, tarts, stuffed in a roast chicken, zest grated for something or other…love lemons:)

• Chica Andaluza January 18, 2016 at 16:56 #

You’ll never be uninspired for a meal with a lemon in the house!

9. Lynn January 18, 2016 at 13:10 #

Yes, lemon curd, preserved, sliced and frozen, lemon meringue pie, sussex pond pudding, dried rings and used for pot pourri, juiced and frozen in ice cubes, loads to do with lemons!!

• Chica Andaluza January 18, 2016 at 16:56 #

Brilliant suggestions Lynn – am just hunting out a large jar to preserve some J

10. narf77 January 19, 2016 at 02:05 #

Trying my hardest to get lemon trees to grow here. Apparently we are “Mediterranean” but this year I am swapping that to desert! Loving the fecundity of your lemon there Ms Chica. Go forth and make curd 🙂

• Chica Andaluza January 19, 2016 at 18:51 #

Love that word fecundity – makes me feel like a goddess!

• narf77 January 20, 2016 at 01:48 #

I love that word also and you are a glorious minx of a woman who we all adore 🙂

• Chica Andaluza January 20, 2016 at 09:13 #

J

11. ChgoJohn January 19, 2016 at 07:21 #

All of those lemons off of one tree? Unbelievable. I’m glad you linked us back to your lemon ravioli recipe. I need to make that dish! I can hear my Grandpa hollerin’ somewhere. He had a small, container lemon tree that he carried indoors and out, depending upon the weather. He finally collected a single lemon from it but you would have thought it a Faberge egg.

• Chica Andaluza January 19, 2016 at 18:50 #

This was what my granny did too – hers was also a lemon tree (shrub!) but she never got as far as growing a fruit from it. Thinking of a lemon as a faberge egg really made me smile 🙂

12. Amanda | What's Cooking January 19, 2016 at 23:35 #

This is just stunning. I’d make some lemon curd too for pancakes. I love that life is bringing you lemons and olives these days. Abundance for sure 🙂

13. restlessjo January 20, 2016 at 13:35 #

What a lovely welcome home 🙂 🙂

14. The Chair's Antique January 26, 2016 at 18:32 #

like lemon ??

15. The Chair's Antique January 26, 2016 at 18:36 #

nice,…

16. chefceaser January 28, 2016 at 19:02 #

Reblogged this on Chef Ceaser.

17. Karen January 31, 2016 at 16:32 #

Now that is a wonderful crop of lemons. I’ve thought about planting one in our backyard but there is a disease that has been killing citrus here so I might wait until next year.

18. salima aqiqah February 2, 2016 at 11:45 #

wow
    can have this lemon???

19. Raden February 5, 2016 at 15:00 #

Hmmmm ……. fresh taste and a lot of vitamin C, it’s great for your health.

20. vintage51 February 9, 2016 at 23:00 #

Reblogged this on vintagethrifter51.com and commented:
    I am so jealous of your beautiful yard and your lemon tree.

21. Calico Stretch February 23, 2016 at 09:39 #

I need to ignore my tree I think ….. Hmmm.

22. Suci Purnamasari March 3, 2016 at 06:07 #

more easy is it to plant lemon trees than others? 🙂

23. Agung Caesar Budiawan March 7, 2016 at 11:59 #

Wow Amazing ! Fresh Lemon have a lot of Vitamin C, it is good for your skin and health.

24. Grosir Bros March 12, 2016 at 06:13 #

how wonderful .. more heathly with lemon…

25. Pabrik Mug Cerra March 12, 2016 at 08:47 #

healthy with lemon, fresh taste and a lot of Vitamin C. Lemon Tea is very delicious

26. Grosir Bros March 31, 2016 at 14:52 #

my favourite fruit.. healthly.. http://www.grosir-bros.com

27. JURAGAN KAOS KARAKTER April 7, 2016 at 05:10 #

all seems pretty fresh, I really like lemon

28. BANDAR KAOS KARAKTER May 12, 2016 at 12:05 #

fresh taste once and that was one of my favorite fruit.

29. Rak Sepatu Gantung June 29, 2016 at 00:56 #

wow fresh lemon! hmmmm so tasty!

30. Rak Sepatu Gantung August 16, 2016 at 04:47 #

i have read this twice, i love the very fresh lemon..

31. BANDAR KAOS KARAKTER October 14, 2016 at 09:03 #

the fruit is very much beneficial, because it contains many vitamins, especially vitamin c.

32. Chica Andaluza February 16, 2016 at 15:47 #

PS. Have a good trip!

1. The Emperor’s New Clothes – Red Emperor (Snapper), Pargo Rojo | Chica Andaluza - February 15, 2016

[…] The grated zest of an unwaxed lemon […]