Salmorejo Cordobés – Another kind of gazpacho

31 May

Creamy Salmorejo

As promised, another version of the famed Andalucían gazpachos.  This one originates from the beautiful city of Córdoba, and is my favourite version of all.  It is different in that it uses very few ingredients but can be served three ways – very thick as a dip with small breadsticks (known as Picos), medium thick garnished with chopped hard boiled egg and jamon or tuna as a chilled soup starter, or diluted with water as a refreshing drink.  So…three dishes in one!

Ingredients for this are few and it will serve from 6 (as tapas) to 2 (as a soup) approximately:

• 2-3 slices of stale bread without the crust (should be a fairly dense bread rather than sliced white from the supermarket)
  • About 500g of tomato, cored and peeled (I had one HUGE tomato as you can see in the photo) but usually the volume of the tomato once in the jug is a little more than the volume of the breadcrumbs
  • A chunk of red pepper (optional)
  • Half a clove of garlic (don´t recommend you use more or it will overpower the taste the taste of the salmorejo)
  • Vinegar
  • Water
  • Olive oil
  • Salt

Once again, the holy trinity of water, salt and vinegar appear but we´ll use very little water this time.

Dribble a very little amount of water onto the bread which you will have put into a mixing jug, and leave for a minute or two to absorb it.

Start with bread and water

Add the tomato and pepper if you are using it.  The truly authentic recipe doesn´t use red pepper, but after wondering why my salmorejo never looked as red or tasted as sweet as anyone else´s, I was let into the secret of the locals round here – red pepper!

Tomato and Red Pepper

Add your garlic, a teaspoon of salt, a tablespoon of vinegar and at least two tablespoons of olive oil and start to blend with the hand blender.

Add Vinegar and Salt

You need to get this really smooth, almost like a purée.  The more oil you add, the smoother the mixture will be, although I tend to go easy on it just for the sake of my waistline!  Taste every so often and adjust the salt and vinegar to your liking.  Again, it should be “alegre” or lively in flavour.

Start to blend

When you´re done, leave to chill in the fridge for about an hour.

Get it smooth and thick

Traditionally it´s served in a deep earthenware bowl (to maintain the freshness) with chopped hard-boiled egg and jamon on top.  Some people substitute the jamon for tinned tuna but I guess chopped bacon would also be nice.

It´s also great as a dip or sauce served with little breadsticks (like very short grissini) or croutons.

26 Responses to “Salmorejo Cordobés – Another kind of gazpacho”

1. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide May 31, 2011 at 10:48 #

Really nice! I love the topping in particular. I say keep the gazpachos coming.

2. thefooddoctor May 31, 2011 at 16:59 #

Yum! this is totally new to me but I love it!
    Thank you for sharing such a lovely (3 in 1) recipe

• chicaandaluza May 31, 2011 at 19:05 #

I´d never heard of it before I moved here. On menus it´s often described a cold bread and tomato soup when it´s translated into English – which I don´t really think does it justice. Hope you enjoy it if you try it!

3. florence and freddie May 31, 2011 at 18:18 #

Hi Chica. This looks delicious. Can’t wait to try this now the weather has picked up. A meal in a bowl! Thought the pigs trotter post was very interesting but not sure I am brave enough to try it just yet!
    Florence x

• chicaandaluza May 31, 2011 at 19:06 #

It´s definitely a hot weather dish. And as for the pig´s trotters….an acquired taste methinks!

4. JamieAnne May 31, 2011 at 23:04 #

This looks like a perfect summer evening dish. Would it be wrong to pair it with a grilled cheese sandwich?

• chicaandaluza June 1, 2011 at 08:01 #

Now you´re talking! Grilled cheese sandwiches are the best. Have you ever tried HP sauce (not sure if you get it in Texas). It´s a Brit thing – sort of spicy, fruity and tangy and totally delicious with a grilled cheese sandwich (or chips…or do I mean “fries”?!).

5. chaiselongue1 June 1, 2011 at 19:53 #

For me, this one is the taste of Andalucia, and it’s one I’ve tried to copy at home too. I’m hoping you’re going to post more of these gazpacho recipes in time for the hot weather (which seems to have disappeared here today, but it will be back).

• chicaandaluza June 1, 2011 at 21:22 #

Rest assured, I´ve still got the “traditional” recipe up my sleeve!

6. JamieAnne June 2, 2011 at 20:52 #

I don’t think we have HP sauce. It would be wonderful with chips (fries or potato chips).

7. narf77 May 28, 2013 at 21:20 #

Erk! Didn’t realise it was “cold soup”…call me crazy but cold soup and I never gel (no puns intended), much like pizza with pineapple, any savoury dish with fruit and sea urchin roe (which ISN’T FOOD FOLKS…IT IS PURE POISON…DANGER WILL ROBINSON…DON’T EAT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES! consider yourselves warned!). I might leave this recipe here for those of you who live in hotter climes 😉

• Chica Andaluza May 29, 2013 at 09:29 #

Funny, I know some people really don’t “do” cold soup. Ok, what you need to do (because it has such a lovely taste) is to make the thicker version (a little more bread, very little water) and try it as a dip. That way is probably more authentically “Cordobés” and your brain won’t think it’s eating cold soup 🙂

• narf77 May 29, 2013 at 09:48 #

Good idea…might not work but worth a try 😉 But there won’t be ANY sea urchin roe involved whatsoever! 😉

• Chica Andaluza May 29, 2013 at 10:03 #

Not recommended at all!

• narf77 May 29, 2013 at 10:12 #

😉

8. Chica Andaluza July 15, 2012 at 21:04 #

So glad you made this and thank you for the lovely mention. Sounds like a perfect lunch 🙂

9. abrooke65 July 23, 2013 at 23:29 #

Beautiful! This is so delicious and authentic. Love your blog!

10. Chica Andaluza July 23, 2013 at 23:34 #

Gracias – igualmente!

11. Sarah Nuñez August 15, 2015 at 21:23 #

I made your Salmorejo recipe last night. I have so many tomatoes, only 9 plants but all in full production right now! Previously I followed a Gibraltarian recipe and was a bit underwhelmed, but yours works so well. Very tasty, you get the whole tomato flavour. Thanks!

12. Chica Andaluza August 15, 2015 at 22:40 #

Oh I’m so pleased you made it and enjoyed it! Every time it turns out a little different as tomatoes vary in flavour, juice etc but you can tweak to make it work for you – more vinegar, less salt etc. Buen provecho 🙂

1. Gazpacho | Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide - July 27, 2011

[…] check out this blended version over at Chica Andaluza. She also has a broad bean version and one that “originates from the beautiful city of […]

2. » Salmorejo and pizza MySpanishAdventures.com - July 15, 2012

[…] was a breeze to make! I followed her recipe exactly. You can find her recipe here. I blended it up in my blender and then chilled it in the freezer for a few minutes while the pizza […]

3. Old Favourites and Favourite Gadgets | Chica Andaluza - May 28, 2013

[…] Salmorejo (do click on the link for the recipe and a “how to) is a summer favourite, and now that I can buy tomatoes without taking out a mortgage to do so, this will be made every few days. […]

4. Griddled Aubergines with Salsa Verde and Tomatoes | Chica Andaluza - June 16, 2015

[…] grudgingly agreed that it was “comestible” – that’s Spanish for edible! Luckily we also had salmorejo (another variation of the more traditional gazpacho) my very favourite summer soup, to save him […]

5. There’s (almost) no such thing as a free lunch…. | Chica Andaluza - September 25, 2015

[…] Salmorejo (my very favourite cold soup) made from stale bread and tomatoes given to us by kindly brother-in-law. These are the ripe and ugly tomatoes which are used for soups and sauces […]