Lunar Eclipse

16 Jun

Last night over much of Europe (not sure if it was visible elsewhere) there was a spectacular Lunar Eclipse. It was a clear starry night and we sat in the garden, listened to the crickets and frogs (and the occasional donkey), inhaled the scent of honeysuckle and watched the magical show.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

When it went dark, it gave me goosebumps.  I was thinking about how people must have felt centuries ago when they didn’t understand these things.  Imagine their fear when the night was plunged into darkness and their relief when the moon reappeared!  Is this a good time for planting?  I´m sure it must be…

The photos are not anywhere near as spectacular as what we saw, but hope you enjoy!

23 Responses to “Lunar Eclipse”

1. SlaveToMyNeedles June 16, 2011 at 06:44 #

This is awesome!!!! Not sure where you are, but we saw it here in New Hampshire, in the US. The last time it occurred, I believe was in October 2004.
    Thanks for the pix….and you are right, much more jaw dropping to watch in person.
    Louise

• chicaandaluza June 16, 2011 at 06:47 #

We´re in Andalucía, Southern Span – it was beautiful wasn´t it?! Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to make such a lovely comment. Do come back again soon!

2. thecompletecookbook June 16, 2011 at 07:17 #

It was quite cloudy here and after a while, Pete and I tootled off to bed only to find out this morning from a friend that it cleared up beautifully. 😦 So pleased you were able to enjoy it.

3. Ria June 16, 2011 at 09:15 #

Amazing! Didn’t see it here in London 😦

• chicaandaluza June 16, 2011 at 13:47 #

I´ll find out when the next one is and book you in on a lounger in the garden!

• Ria June 16, 2011 at 14:32 #

You’re on!

4. jan June 16, 2011 at 09:49 #

We could see it, but not very clearly as there was thin cloud in the way… not to mention the lights from about 200 wind turbines spoiling our night sky!

• chicaandaluza June 16, 2011 at 13:50 #

What a shame for you, we were very, very lucky. Have just popped over to your blog, it looks wonderful!

5. chaiselongue1 June 16, 2011 at 10:23 #

That’s wonderful! I’m so glad you caught it. Our village is surrounded by hills and the moon was to low at that time, so I missed it. Great to see your sequence of shots.

• chicaandaluza June 16, 2011 at 13:51 #

We´re extra lucky because the position of the moon at that time of night was in a direct line of sight with our garden! Such a shame you didn´t get to see it….when´t the next one?!

6. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide June 16, 2011 at 10:56 #

Definitely time to plant! The ancient gods also said when this happened you need to walk to the nearest pub. Honest, it’s a prophecy!

• chicaandaluza June 16, 2011 at 13:52 #

I bow to the ancient gods….and I´ll take a stroll down to the bar just to be on the safe side!

7. thefooddoctor June 16, 2011 at 17:22 #

It was amazing! wasnt it!
    I loved every minute of it and have a few pictures to share my self..
    I’m sure it was magical in your garden..I was telling my daughter that in ancient times they thought a dragon ate the moon..and she asked..are you sure it didn’t..(that was AFTER I explained the science of it) it seems kids like the fantasy version better

• chicaandaluza June 16, 2011 at 21:25 #

I think I prefer the dragon story too – much simpler than the science 🙂 Looking forward to seeing your pictures – not sure where in the world you were watching it from? And yes, completely amazing, I love things like that. The world and its wonders at their best.

8. florence and freddie June 16, 2011 at 18:36 #

Oh wow! Fab photos. Thanks for sharing.
    Florence x

9. trevorhunt June 17, 2011 at 07:48 #

I can’t believe l missed this! Must have been the fact we had ‘one of those days’ and hadn’t stopped. Our son is with us for a few days too, beer more beer, red wine, et etc! Great pics.

• chicaandaluza June 17, 2011 at 12:30 #

A visiting son trumps a lunar eclipse! Hope you are having fun…steady on the wine or you won´t remember the visit once he´s gone…

10. gabroune June 19, 2011 at 10:48 #

Oh, you were lucky to see it so clearly! Here it was cloudy and I missed the best part, when the moon was orange. It only cleared up later. At least I saw some of it!

• chicaandaluza June 19, 2011 at 14:09 #

We were very, very lucky. Although I missed the start as we forgot!

11. ....RaeDi June 20, 2011 at 00:30 #

Thank you for sharing, I too have wondered the same thing of people in the past, those that had little to no understanding about such things….RaeDi

• chicaandaluza June 20, 2011 at 06:49 #

And this makes me even more respectful of the people who first worked it all out…just by reading the stars etc. No computers, no internet, no technology….amazing!