Stuffed, Baked Artichoke Bottoms

28 Jun

Romantic lighting or just too dark...?

Am I allowed to say “bottoms” or will I be censored?!  I had to say it because the hearts didn´t really make it into this dish.

Big Man came home the other day with about a dozen artichokes that a pal had given him.  Unfortunately they had been sitting in his truck, with daytime temperatures reaching 34 degrees Celsius for two days.  They were rather sad and dry looking.

I peeled away all the leaves and took out the “choke”, the hairy bit in the middle and then cooked them in water (with a good few spoonfuls of white wine vinegar to stop them going black) until they were almost tender.

I was just going to use them in a salad, but then decided that as they´d had a miserable few days in the heat, I would give them a more dramatic exit!

For the stuffing I used (for 12 artichokes)

• 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
  • 6 medium mushrooms and stalks, finely chopped and fried in olive oil with the garlic until soft
  • 3 heaped tablespoons of cream cheese
  • 3 level tablespoons of grated cheese (I used a mature goat´s cheese)
  • Some finely chopped parsley

I mixed all these ingredients together, seasoned with salt and pepper and then spooned the mixture onto the artichoke bottoms which I then placed in a lightly oiled baking dish.

I sprinkled them all with fresh white breadcrumbs and finished with a drizzle of olive oil.

These then went into a hot oven for about 15 minutes (until the breadcrumbs were browned) and I served them with my Spicy Tomato Sauce.  I think they were happy with their finale.

18 Responses to “Stuffed, Baked Artichoke Bottoms”

1. Tandy June 28, 2011 at 11:25 #

you brought back a memory of a friend’s mother banning me from their house because I used the word bum! Lovey dish 🙂

• chicaandaluza June 28, 2011 at 17:01 #

Oh how funny …. you bad, bad girl! Hope she recovered from the trauma and let you back in soon after.

2. TheDorsetFinca June 28, 2011 at 14:14 #

I’ve never really managed to get my head around artichokes – they always looked a bit daunting! You have inspired me to give them a chance!

• chicaandaluza June 28, 2011 at 17:02 #

Actually, doing them this way is easy as you just rip all their “clothes off” and don´t have to worry about trimming etc. Go on, give it a go!

3. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide June 28, 2011 at 16:27 #

Great lookin’ artichoke rumps, Chica! (ha.) They really are though. I’m off to see some spicy sauce.

• chicaandaluza June 28, 2011 at 17:02 #

Rumps eh, never thought of them like that but it makes them sound more meaty!

4. ....RaeDi June 28, 2011 at 17:50 #

You go girl you saved the backsides (I do wonder just how many names for the bottoms, bum, rump! They look delicious….RaeDi

• chicaandaluza June 29, 2011 at 01:19 #

Or the derrieres, the rear ends and the nether regions! I´ve started something “cheeky” here!

5. gisellecagli June 28, 2011 at 19:06 #

Brava! I find artichokes very hard to prepare. I have a hard time when I have to peel them off and if I do not add lemon they get dark!!!…

• chicaandaluza June 29, 2011 at 01:19 #

They do go dark – but I´ve learned to live with dark green artichokes, they still tatse great!

6. spicegirlfla June 28, 2011 at 19:31 #

wow… you have a pal that just drops off a dozen artichokes?? I’d like be friends with that pal!! I just love artichokes!! You stuffed these “bottom” well; I’ve never used cream cheese before but I can imagine now how creamy that stuffing must be!

• chicaandaluza June 29, 2011 at 01:27 #

It´s good to have pals like this isn´t it?! There is a lot of vegetable swapping going on up our mountain right now…I love it!

7. JamieAnne June 28, 2011 at 21:22 #

Wonderful recipe….you bum cooker. 😉 which might have a different meaning here in the states.
    Lovely, wonderful…a great exit for poor abused artichokes.

• chicaandaluza June 29, 2011 at 01:21 #

Love it! Bum is a very English word (and not rude, just “cheeky”)….although I know in the States it´s something else! What did someone once say “Two great nations divided by one great language”? I think it just makes things more fun 🙂

8. chaiselongue1 June 28, 2011 at 22:31 #

These look and sound delicious. Our artichokes rarely get big enough to have a choke – or even much of a bottom – as we eat them before that stage, but I do buy them as well because I love them so much, so I’ll try this next time I have some big enough ones.

• chicaandaluza June 29, 2011 at 01:22 #

I think it would work with smaller ones with just the outside leaves removed. There are so many delicious types of artichoke, I adore them too!

9. fatisrecipes June 29, 2011 at 03:11 #

It’s amazing to see how many posts I’ve missed out on (I only just realised I haven’t subscribed to your blog! And it’s even more amazing to see how our artichoke bottoms are so different, yet both are so delicious! 😀

• chicaandaluza June 29, 2011 at 11:47 #

Hi Fati and thanks for your kind words! Artichokes are so versatile and delicious, I´m sure we need to put more recipes on!