Gorgeous Green Gazpacho

20 Aug

Green. Gorgeous. Good.

Who says Gazpacho has to be red?  Well, if you promise not to tell the Andalucían gazpacho Police…I say it doesn´t!

In the vegetable garden at the moment, our cup overfloweth. Some things just can´t be canned or frozen – like cucumbers.  And those little green thin skinned Spanish peppers are best eaten fresh in salad, stuffed or fried.

I wanted to find a new way of using up some of my “greenery” and came up with this version of gazpacho.  It´s a stunning colour, tastes rather like juiced vegetables and I´m sure must be amazingly good for you and packed with vitamins.  Probably an excellent pick me up for the morning after the night before too.  We just drank it chilled as a pre lunch appetizer.

Here´s what I used, but if you do decide to give it a go I´m thinking celery, avocado and lime juice might also be great additions.

Two thin green peppers, one small cucumber (peeled), a small clove of garlic, a small bunch of parsley, 4 large leaves of raw chard (or spinach).

In a blender mix the vegetables with about 3 tablespoons of olive oil, white wine vinegar and salt (to taste) and a litre of ice cold water.

Blend until smooth, add a few ice cubes and chill until needed.  Looking as gorgeous as it does, it just has to be good for you!

61 Responses to “Gorgeous Green Gazpacho”

1. chaiselongue1 August 20, 2011 at 10:17 #

Oh, this does look good! Wonderful colour and it must be very healthy too. I make ‘green gazpacho’ with cucumber and sweet onion, but I hadn’t thought of using chard in it. Thanks for the idea – we have too much chard at the moment!

• chicaandaluza August 20, 2011 at 12:23 #

It´s a good way of using up the chard…and gives it a lovely fresh flavour…will have to try some sweet onion in mine next time, sounds lovely.

2. trevorhunt August 20, 2011 at 10:47 #

I suppose it could be called a ‘smoothie’? Looks great and, like you say, can only be good for you, unlike my sausage and mash l had the other night! Couldn’t resist. Hot and sunny here. Must be hot as hell there? Have a great weekend.

• chicaandaluza August 20, 2011 at 12:24 #

Bangers and mash…now you´re talking. Hope you had a dollop of mustard or HP sauce with that?! Have a great weekend too!

3. Karen August 20, 2011 at 12:58 #

Such a vibrant color. It would be a lovely way to start a meal. I have Italian frying peppers growing in the garden and will give this a try.

• chicaandaluza August 20, 2011 at 13:29 #

I thikn those frying peppers are the same as the ones we have here…should work perfectly!

4. foodblogandthedog August 20, 2011 at 13:15 #

Don’t worry I won’t tell the gazpacho police, they’ve only just come round to the fact that rocket isn’t horse food where we are, so this would completely throw them! It looks like one of those those juices with extra wheatgrass so it must be good for you, have a great weekend, I’m just about to make the yoghurt/cheese with goat’s milk, finally!!

• chicaandaluza August 20, 2011 at 13:31 #

And you could try to make “proper” ricotta with the whey – found a good wiki link on how to do this but don´t currently have any fresh whey 😦 And as for the rocket…you´re clearly years ahead of us down on the coast!

5. A Cup of Joanne August 20, 2011 at 13:29 #

Your food looks delicious, very interesting, and very healthy! I’m subscribing to the blog! 🙂

• chicaandaluza August 20, 2011 at 13:32 #

Well welcome on board, hope you continue to enjoy what you see!

6. ChgoJohn August 20, 2011 at 14:26 #

Wow! It’s a celebration of Summer in a glass. And, with those ingredients, if it isn’t good for you there is something wrong with the World. Great idea and recipe!

• chicaandaluza August 20, 2011 at 15:08 #

It made a lovely change from our “regular gazpacho” too!

7. fati's recipes August 20, 2011 at 15:13 #

A Charm.

8. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide August 20, 2011 at 15:41 #

That’s just amazing. You have so many wonderful ways to make gazpacho. I wish I had some green tomatoes left. This looks like an amuse bouche at a fancy restaurant.

• chicaandaluza August 20, 2011 at 20:53 #

Ooh…am feeling all “la di da” (if you know what that means. Will have to go and put on my chef´s hat. And yes…I do have one…a little black and white checked job!!

9. ReFashionista August 20, 2011 at 15:46 #

Methinks I’m going to have to start a garden next spring. Your delicious-looking veggie concoctions are inspiring! 🙂

• chicaandaluza August 20, 2011 at 20:53 #

It looks almost as if I am a vegetarian – it´s just that it´s summer and we have a garden full of delicious veggies!

10. Mad Dog August 20, 2011 at 16:31 #

I’ve got to try that! I might have to add a little vodka too (just as a test) 😉

• chicaandaluza August 20, 2011 at 20:52 #

I highly recommend research of this type and look forward to hearing your scientific findings!

• Mad Dog August 21, 2011 at 17:05 #

Well it works very well with tomato gazpacho and I’m a big fan of the Bullshot 😉

11. gardenfreshtomatoes August 20, 2011 at 17:25 #

Wonderful idea! Been making a lot of melon cold soups, but this sounds great, too.

• chicaandaluza August 20, 2011 at 20:51 #

Ooh melon soup sounds gorgeous…and mint maybe?!

• gardenfreshtomatoes August 22, 2011 at 15:37 #

Yep, how’d you guess? 🙂
        Maybe I can get the recipe up this week…

• chicaandaluza August 22, 2011 at 16:34 #

Look forward to that – we have lots of lovely melon here at the moment.

12. florence and freddie August 20, 2011 at 18:07 #

Hi Chica. What a great idea. Gorgeous colour. Bet is tastes delicious.
    Regards Florence x

• chicaandaluza August 20, 2011 at 20:51 #

It felt very virtuous drinking it! Mind you, the wine afterwards cancelled all that out….

13. ambrosiana August 20, 2011 at 18:17 #

This is the “4 G” recipe!!! Great, Gorgeous, Green Gazpacho!!! What an incredible, creative, and delicious idea this recipe is!!! Cucumbers and parsley must add a unique freshness to this dish!!
    Brava! You always come up with great and helpful ideas!!!

14. Julienne August 21, 2011 at 00:22 #

This looks delicious and very healthy! I’m a huge fan of Gazpaho in the summer, so will definitely give this recipe a try 🙂

15. Yvette August 21, 2011 at 01:25 #

Oh I love the vibrant green of this Summer gazpacho, a great energy booster and I know it would taste refeshing,you said you peeled the cucumber,a suggestion maybe even deseed the cucumber for an even smoother texture! What do you think?

• chicaandaluza August 21, 2011 at 10:19 #

Good point – although genetally I don´t mind a little “texture”. We have grown two vaireties of cucumber and one seems to have more seeds than the other, so will have to de seed the worst one!

16. thefooddoctor August 21, 2011 at 04:12 #

you are amazingly creative! I love the color and all the flavors..this is seriously summer in a glass

• chicaandaluza August 21, 2011 at 10:20 #

Thank you – although it was more a case of “let´s see what we can make with what´s going crazy in the garden”!

17. TheDorsetFinca August 21, 2011 at 08:50 #

Green gazpacho? I will have to try this!!

18. mcfdekker August 21, 2011 at 08:53 #

Hi there, Your blog makes me hungry! I’ll have to try some of your recipes! And I’ll have to try this green gazpacho, after a long summer of work stress, I’m all for an energy boost 🙂

• chicaandaluza August 21, 2011 at 10:21 #

Glad you like what you´ve seen and thanks too for subscribing!

19. thecompletecookbook August 21, 2011 at 16:45 #

Oh now this sounds fabulous! You could always just call it greenzpacho.
    Have a happy Sunday.

20. ceciliag August 21, 2011 at 18:43 #

I have never made one of those before and I also have a cucumber plant that WON”T GIVE UP!.. hmmm c

• chicaandaluza August 21, 2011 at 20:35 #

They get like that don´t they..and they have very pretty flowers too!

21. Michi August 21, 2011 at 19:51 #

Me encanta gazpacho!! 🙂

22. ....RaeDi August 22, 2011 at 00:11 #

A glass of jewels! It has to be good for you! I love veggie drinks, all kinds but my favorite is Bloody Marys… RaeDi

• chicaandaluza August 22, 2011 at 00:31 #

Oh god – me too…it´s like an alcoholic meal in a glass! And I like mine VERY spicy 🙂

• ....RaeDi August 22, 2011 at 01:04 #

I love the spices too, it like a crave them! ….RaeDi

23. ....RaeDi August 22, 2011 at 00:12 #

Forgot… Beautiful picture… love the glass….RaeDi

• chicaandaluza August 22, 2011 at 00:32 #

Thank you – it was a set of 4 from a friend for my 40th…and a few years on and after being transported from the UK to Spain I´ve still got them all. Now that´s jinxed them hasn´t it?!

• ....RaeDi August 22, 2011 at 01:04 #

I hope not! ….RaeDi

24. spicegirlfla August 22, 2011 at 02:17 #

I’d never tell the gazpacho police because I totally agree with you! Green has become the rage with all the healthy green drinks, so why not green gazpacho! This is a great twist on the classic and just looks so garden fresh!

• chicaandaluza August 22, 2011 at 14:06 #

Thank you – I think I´m safe from the Gazpacho police now!

25. Tandy August 22, 2011 at 08:00 #

how clever to think out of the box! I made a cooked gezpacho yesterday as Dave does not like raw onions 🙂

• chicaandaluza August 22, 2011 at 14:09 #

Great idea! I like some of my creamed (cooked) vegetable soups served cold too. And rules were meant to be broken…well, some of them!

26. wazwu August 24, 2011 at 15:19 #

Stunning color! Perhaps I will try this sometime!

• chicaandaluza August 24, 2011 at 16:04 #

Can highly recommend it for the taste as well as the colour!

27. abrooke65 July 25, 2013 at 20:29 #

This looks delicious. So healthy and refreshing. I’m about to make a white gazpacho….con almendras y uvas.

28. sandal boneka April 14, 2015 at 18:54 #

This drink does not only look good, but also can nourish our bodies,, so wanted to try to drink

29. aida tour February 6, 2017 at 08:12 #

great colour.. its really nice