Roasted Tomato Tart with Chard and Home Made Curd Cheese

22 Aug

Beware the Giant Fork!

The great thing about writing a blog and reading other blogs is that inspiration comes from all around you.  Not so long ago I got into a dialogue with ChgoJohn over at From The Bartolini Kitchens about cheese.  He makes all sorts of cheeses and has posted a fantastic recipe for ricotta.  It reminded me that I hadn´t done this for quite some time, although my version doesn´t use cream.  Unfortunately we just can´t get anything other than UHT whipping cream or a chemical mix which masquerades as single or cooking cream here.  A shame, but that´s how it is.

A freezer clear out to make room for all my lovely beans that are growing, rewarded me with a packet of filo pastry.  Time to get making something tasty.

Here´s how I made my curd cheese.

Bring one litre of milk (I used semi skimmed) almost to the boil (when little bubbles start to appear round the edges).

Bubbly milk

Turn off the heat then add citric acid, lemon juice or white wine vinegar (about 2 – 3 tablespoons but add it gradually) whilst stirring with a wooden spoon.  Once curds start to form, put a lid on the pot and leave to stand for about 10 minutes.

Beautiful Curds

Drain and leave for a few hours or overnight.

The Waiting Game

Stir in salt to taste and you´re done! Don´t forget to save that whey for making soda bread.

Lovely Curd Cheese

To make the tart I lined a loose bottomed tart tin with four sheets of filo which I brushed with olive oil (but you could also use butter).

I put in a layer of chopped, wilted chard (with all the water squeezed out) which I had mixed with two beaten eggs, 3 tablespoons of grated parmesan and seasoning. You could substitute the chard with spinach or beets.

Then I added a layer of curd cheese and then a layer of halved roasted tomatoes.  You could also use thinly sliced raw tomatoes.  Finally I folded over the filo sheets and added two more to the top, brushed the whole thing with a little more oil and baked for 30 minutes at 180ºC.

Lots of flaky, crispy crumbs!

It was delicious warm, but just as tasty (although not quite so crunchy) cold the next day.

51 Responses to “Roasted Tomato Tart with Chard and Home Made Curd Cheese”

1. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide August 22, 2011 at 01:54 #

I really need to make ricotta, I was just thinking about that while at his site earlier. This looks wonderful. I think it’s what we call cottage cheese here. Great tart too.

• chicaandaluza August 22, 2011 at 14:05 #

I think ricotta “proper” is made by cooking the whey from when you make cheese. Keep meaning to try it. Cottage cheese in the UK looks like this too but it has a slightly more acidic taste – maybe it´s only made with skimmed milk?

2. Lauren August 22, 2011 at 03:45 #

This looks fantastic!!! I’m totally going to try that soon…

• chicaandaluza August 22, 2011 at 14:06 #

It was actually very easy – more an assembly job than “proper” cooking!

3. JamieAnne August 22, 2011 at 07:12 #

Looks great! I agree with Greg, it does look like cottage cheese.

• chicaandaluza August 22, 2011 at 14:07 #

I think probably that´s what is is then as ricotta is traditionally made ina slightly different way.

4. ChgoJohn August 22, 2011 at 07:46 #

Your tart reminds me of spanakopita, the Greek spinach pies. I love that your recipe uses chard and that you’ve added tomato slices. Add your delicious cheese and I find it hard to believe you would ever have left-overs to serve cold. Thank you, Tanya, for the shout-out. I, too, seek out pure cream for these recipes and it isn’t always easy to find. It’s definitely worth the effort, though.

• chicaandaluza August 22, 2011 at 14:08 #

Oh yes, you´re right and now that reminds me of a fantastic recipe book I have by Rick Stein called something like A Taste of the Mediterranean which includes some fantastic Greek recipes.

5. Tandy August 22, 2011 at 07:59 #

that looks really good! And so nice to find an ingredient in the freezer you did not know was there 🙂

• chicaandaluza August 22, 2011 at 14:09 #

It´s amazing what you find when you have a sort out!

6. thefooddoctor August 22, 2011 at 09:34 #

look at all those flaky layers..mmm
    this sounds AMAZING..

7. thecompletecookbook August 22, 2011 at 10:23 #

Oh what a fabulous tart – beautifully done Tanya.
    Have a happy week.

• chicaandaluza August 22, 2011 at 14:10 #

I thought you were talking about me 🙂 … only joking! Have a great week too Mandy.

8. Yvette August 22, 2011 at 11:37 #

You make it look all too easy…I have memories of my grandmother making curds and whey to make her fabulous cheese. Your pie looks delicious and I love flaky filo pastry…a great job!

• chicaandaluza August 22, 2011 at 14:11 #

Oh, does anyone in your family have a recipe written down (she says hopefully!)?

9. gardenfreshtomatoes August 22, 2011 at 15:36 #

Fabulous! I remeber my gradmother telling me about making ‘cottage’ cheese like this when she was a girl…I was an obnoxious teenager at the time, and I believe my response was, “You made it ON PURPOSE?”
    Hope I can find the time to try this, and soon!

• chicaandaluza August 22, 2011 at 16:35 #

I used to feel like that when my mum made paté – now I make my own and love it!

10. Rachel August 22, 2011 at 15:52 #

You are so talking my language with this one! I am happy with most anything wrapped in phyllo/filo… and you know I love pretty much any and all greens. Mmmm…!!!

The problem is, here at least, you have to buy a rather large packet of the pastry and it only comes frozen. Then, once you’ve thawed it you have to use it all; it really doesn’t keep well. Maybe once the weather breaks (November perhaps…) I’ll have a filo party and stuff my brains out (so to speak). You are inspirational!

• chicaandaluza August 22, 2011 at 16:36 #

You go ahead and stuff your brains out! I think our packet was quite small – you would have to make a couple of things and just enjoy!

11. ceciliag August 22, 2011 at 18:20 #

yum.. more cheese to make.. this pie looks heavenly .. i love filo c

• chicaandaluza August 22, 2011 at 18:29 #

I´m looking forward to seeing how you make your various cheeses!

12. ambrosiana August 22, 2011 at 21:17 #

What a delightful mix of flavors!!! You are amazing!! I love the different consistencies of the dish: crunchy filo flakes with the softness of curd cheese (and homemade!!)!!!!

13. veggicurious August 22, 2011 at 21:43 #

This look delicious! I’ve made homemade goats cheese before, but never tried ricotta. I’ll have to give it a try!

• chicaandaluza August 22, 2011 at 21:50 #

You´ll have to post your recipe for goat´s cheese – should be interesting!

14. Mad Dog August 22, 2011 at 22:22 #

That looks delicious – I’m not sure how much land you have, but I;d be tempted to get goats for the milk and cheese 🙂

• chicaandaluza August 22, 2011 at 23:11 #

We do have enough space but we have so many goatherds round here who give us milk and sell us a goat a couple of times a year that we have all the benefits without the work!

• Mad Dog August 23, 2011 at 19:48 #

That sounds like a good deal!

15. Bluejellybeans August 23, 2011 at 01:46 #

Well Chica, another great recipe! Esto tiene una pinta buenísima y lo de hacer el queso uno mismo me parece genial, lo intentaré hacer en casa. He visto comentarios sobre leche de cabra, ¿tu has usado leche de vaca, no es así? Me parece una receta genial.
    Un saludo desde madrid

• chicaandaluza August 23, 2011 at 09:31 #

¡Hola! Pués si, es muy fácil hacer el queso en casa. Normalmente lo hago con leche de vaca, pero a veces los cabreros de mi aldea me regalen leche de cabra y sale riquisimo. Tambien me encanta hacer arroz con leche, natillas y cuajada….

16. Karen August 23, 2011 at 01:48 #

Tanya, You come up with the most wonderful recipes. Just think, this one was made with filo discovered in the freezer. Not only does it sound great, it looks beautiful.

• chicaandaluza August 23, 2011 at 09:32 #

Thank you so much Karen! I try to keep on top of what I have in my freezer but sometimes something tucks itself away and hides 🙂

17. Christina August 23, 2011 at 04:01 #

This tart looks delicious! I love that you made your own curd cheese (or cottage cheese as it is called here in the US). It had never even crossed my mind to make my own before. It looks so simple too! 🙂

• chicaandaluza August 23, 2011 at 09:32 #

Thank you Christina – it really is an easy cheese to make. It´s just the draining that takes a little patience…but not too much!

18. Michi August 23, 2011 at 22:36 #

MY FAVORITE!!!! This looks so scrumptious I could just cry. Big Man is so lucky to have your homemade meals. 🙂 I’m definitely going to make this one!

• chicaandaluza August 23, 2011 at 23:00 #

Oh how lovely of you…but please don´t cry. No tears on this blog!!!

19. foodblogandthedog August 24, 2011 at 14:01 #

This looks so gorgeous I love anything with cheese & filo pastry! My goats cheese turned out really well, eventually! I’ve used some to make a greek chilli cheese dip and I want to use the rest to stuff profiteroles. I still have the whey in the fridge too, might have a go at the ricotta, thanks again!!

• chicaandaluza August 24, 2011 at 16:05 #

I´m so relieved it turned out ok in the end! Looking forward to seeing the recipes for the dip and profiteroles (adore savoury profiteroles)…I have some whey too from yesterday so want to try the ricotta. We´ll have to compare notes!

20. Kim Heinrichs August 28, 2011 at 00:10 #

I was just telling a friend that it’s possible to make ricotta but I don’t know how yet – then I stumbled upon this recipe. Perfect timing! I’m going to try it soon!
    Thanks!

• chicaandaluza August 28, 2011 at 10:15 #

It´s not quite the real thing, but it´s damn close and so easy! Do let me know how it goes if you make it!

21. Fired Up Cooking SA August 28, 2011 at 19:23 #

My word – it’s really that easy to make ricotta/cottage cheese??? Have to try this – thanks 😀

• chicaandaluza August 28, 2011 at 19:38 #

Yep, it really is that easy! Do let me know how you get on if you give it a go.

22. Evie September 1, 2011 at 18:42 #

Wow…I’m going to have to try that out! It looks delicious.

23. J. P. Waldron January 21, 2012 at 00:18 #

Hello! Lovely stuff, as always – I’ve never attempted making any sort of cheese myself, but this seems straightforward enough – maybe I’ll have a go. Also, I hope you don’t mind, but I’ve linked my new post to some of your recipes – I couldn’t resist!

• Chica Andaluza January 21, 2012 at 04:37 #

Hi JP – glad you liked it and thank you for linking to my recipe! making this sort of cheese is very easy…all you need is a little patience. It´s worth the wait for the lovely taste and in the UK (and where you are) the milk is so much better than here.

24. Pelatihan ACLS August 19, 2016 at 11:48 #

looks so yummy …

1. Zucchini ricotta fritters « Chef in disguise - September 12, 2011

[…] way from the amazing blog Chica Andaluza you can find a step by step in here post about roasted Tomato Tart with Chard . They are both amazing bloggers with wonderful recipes and stories to share, so if you […]

2. Down By The Sea Soda Bread | Chica Andaluza - September 4, 2015

[…] a loaf recently, so jumping on her soda bread bandwagon, I baked one too. I used the whey from curd cheese making, once again, but the recipe usually calls for buttermilk. This recipe is different from my Up The […]