Copy Cat, Copy Cat – Doggy Treats and Scones for the Big People

3 Sep

Me that is…I´m the Copy Cat!  I´ve been picking up lots of fantastic recipes over the last few months via all the blogs that I am following, many of which I have promised myself I would cook once the temperatures started to drop and I could bear to put the oven on.

Well, yesterday the storm clouds gathered and at one point we had thunder and pouring rain.  It was dark and gloomy – perfect baking weather. Added to this was my technical nightmare with WordPress, but thanks to all you lovely people out there I eventually got things sorted and am able to post again.  It was lovely to have so much support – it´s a funny old thing isn´t it that people you don´t really “know” and will probably never meet face to face care enough to step in and offer help.  Made me feel very warm and good, so thank you again.

Anyway, back to the kitchen.  I have seen a few great recipes for dog biscuits recently and I asked myself “why the heck am I forking out for rubbishy treats for my beloved pooches, when the rest of the food they eat is healthy?”.  So, recipe number one comes from Greg and Katherine over at Rufus´Food and Spirits Guide, or more precisely their faithful hounds Mingus and Coltrane, who are probably nearly as good in the kitchen as their master and mistress.

That´s a lot of doggy happiness on one tray

Mingus and Coltrane, Luna and Alfi salute you.  It was hard to get pics of them eating the biscuits as they were gone too quickly and Luna, for some reason is camera shy!

Anyway, here are a few photos so that any dog lovers out there can say “aah” and chuckle again at Alfi´s new haircut.

The second Copy Cat experiment today was with scones.  Well, I did have the oven on.  I love scones but have never had too much luck baking them. Either they turn out really hard and I tell people that they were MEANT to be rock cakes, or they rise too much and are far too dry and crumbly.

Well, my scone woes are over thank to Cecilia at thekitchensgarden and this is the recipe that changed my scone baking forever.   God I love that woman and her family recipes.

Super Size Me

The only problem is that it was a long, long afternoon.

The butter was cold, I couldn´t spread it any thinner...honestly!

And I had so many jams to try.

Cherry or apricot? Oh go on...have both!

Well, I had to just check a few of them out to make sure that the first Super Scone of my life wasn´t a fluke.  It wasn´t.

PS. I did quite seriously debate with myself about not telling Big Man there were scones left and offering him a delicious “peanut butter cookie”.  But I didn´t.  You see, not such a greedy guts after all!

41 Responses to “Copy Cat, Copy Cat – Doggy Treats and Scones for the Big People”

1. thecompletecookbook September 3, 2011 at 11:46 #

What a fun read! Would we have got some after your paella too?

• chicaandaluza September 3, 2011 at 11:53 #

You´d have had to wrestle the biscuit tin off the dogs!

2. ceciliag September 3, 2011 at 13:52 #

Darling, those scones look just right and thank you so much for the delicious shout-out! In fact I am thinking that maybe I should make the doggie treats as well. As I have three dogs sat on the verandah this morning waiting for their walk .. When The Matriarch is away her dog comes over here to stay! So with all that lot and the cats and Daisy it is like a wandering circus! c

• chicaandaluza September 3, 2011 at 15:44 #

Can highly recommend the doggie treats (not that I tasted one) but my pups went mad for them and I´ve also given a few out to the local strays! Thanks again to you for a great recipe – this one´s a keeper 🙂

3. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide September 3, 2011 at 19:04 #

Katherine was just dying over the cuteness of your dogs. Thanks for the shout out. Those scones are calling my name. I saw them over at C’s blog and wanted to make them. Now I really, really want to make them!

• chicaandaluza September 3, 2011 at 20:37 #

You´r welcome! The dogs are extra special to us as they are rescued. And do make the scones, they were (not were…not are) wonderful!

4. TheDorsetFinca September 3, 2011 at 19:25 #

Gorgeous dogs!!! Do you have a good treat recipe for cats?

• chicaandaluza September 3, 2011 at 20:38 #

Yes,, we think they´re cute. If cats are allowed to eat peanut putter (and I think they are) then I think Oliver would love these too!

5. ambrosiana September 3, 2011 at 19:50 #

I have seen too many scones recipes lately!!! I guess it is a signal!!! The picture of scones with jam is so inviting!! Your dogs are very lovely!!!!!!!!!! And sooooo lucky!!!!

• chicaandaluza September 3, 2011 at 20:39 #

The dogs are very lucky as we rescued them…so what with the treats and the walks they are super lucky! Do make the scones. You won´t regret it 🙂

6. gardenfreshtomatoes September 3, 2011 at 20:40 #

I had to laugh at the ‘hoovering-up’ on Luna’s picture – we’ve been joking that the next dog will either be named Hoover or Kirby, because all dogs are vaccuum-cleaners!

• chicaandaluza September 3, 2011 at 21:03 #

If it wasn´t for the fact that Jack Russell type dogs (she´s not a pure breed obviously!) shed huge amounts of white hair, I´d never have to sweep up! They also like shoes and sandals which is more of a problem 🙂

7. chaiselongue1 September 3, 2011 at 22:07 #

I can see why you just had to try the scones with all the different jams – they look delicious!

• chicaandaluza September 3, 2011 at 23:12 #

It was tough – but someone had to be the official taster and tester!

8. Christina September 3, 2011 at 23:41 #

Awww..your dogs are so cute! I bet they loved those treats. My dogs always love when I make homemade goodies for them too! 🙂

• chicaandaluza September 4, 2011 at 10:24 #

Thank you – we think they´re pretty cute! Had never even thoguht of making dog biscuits and now I see how quick and easy (and additive free) it was, I am kicking myself!

9. ChgoJohn September 4, 2011 at 00:48 #

Awww. Love that you introduced us to your pupsters. Those scones smothered in butter and jam look incredible! It should rain in your area more often! In fact, I bet “Big Man” is out back teaching the dogs how to do a rain dance.

• chicaandaluza September 4, 2011 at 10:25 #

Glad you like the family! Yes, Big Man is actually praying for the cooler weather. He says it´s becuase he doesn´t liek the heat but i have my suspicions that it´s related to baking!

10. Bluejellybeans September 4, 2011 at 01:00 #

Lovely post Tanya! Tus perros son hermosos. Yo tengo 2, Lucy y Tommy. Pero la verdad nunca me he planteado hacerles yo misma los snacks… maybe someday ;). La receta de scones la tengo imprimida para hacerla en casa, ahora sé que no tendré problemas en hacerla (espero…)
    Un saludo

• chicaandaluza September 4, 2011 at 10:26 #

Gracias – los perros son tan graciosos y nos hacen reir cada dia! Do make the scones – so easy, so delicious 🙂

11. thefooddoctor September 4, 2011 at 08:44 #

So sorry I missed a few of your posts Tanya..
    things were crazy busy here..first day of school today
    You have some super cute dogs and those scones are A MUST TRY

• chicaandaluza September 4, 2011 at 10:27 #

Don´t be silly – we can´t keep up with all the posts that our blogging friends do and back to scholl time is hectic for everyone with children. Do hope they have settled into their new class and scholl year.

12. Tandy September 4, 2011 at 15:11 #

I so want to try her recipe as well! Well done on your baking 🙂

• chicaandaluza September 4, 2011 at 15:20 #

Well siyabonga!! Love it when I learn something new 🙂

13. Rachel September 4, 2011 at 16:13 #

Nothing wrong with rock cakes in my opinion! These scones look lovely, though, and as I’m off to the grocery I may just get all the fixin’s! Do I dare turn on the oven…??? Hmmm… too bad I don’t think I could do these in the car… (grin)

• chicaandaluza September 4, 2011 at 17:38 #

You could try in the car but these are cooked very fast at a very high temperature – I think your car would blow up!

14. JamieAnne September 4, 2011 at 21:20 #

Cute pups! 🙂

The scones looked yummy!

• chicaandaluza September 4, 2011 at 23:32 #

Aah – thanks! And yes, the scones were yummy indeed 🙂

15. Fired Up Cooking SA September 5, 2011 at 20:30 #

I can quite see why you had to try out all the jams on those luscious scones! Delicious.

I like the idea of making your own doggy biscuits – the contents of the bought stuff always disturbs me. I think Zaza & Zoot would be delighted to have these instead 🙂

• chicaandaluza September 6, 2011 at 15:48 #

Thanks – they were very good and will def be made again! Love the names of your dogs…we need to see photos!

16. Ton van der Molen September 6, 2011 at 18:40 #

Dear Chicaandaluza,
    My mother always kept butter in the fridge, so that she couldn’t smear it onto her bread. She used to say that if you use real butter you should “slice it, instead of smearing it” on your bread.
    So I would say tot you that: using cold butter is just an excuse for using al lot.
    Thank you for your blog. I enjoy it a lot.

Ton van der Molen
    The Netherlands

• chicaandaluza September 6, 2011 at 21:22 #

I like your mother´s thinking! I also had relatives in Wales who thought that you should be able to see your teeth marks in the butter on your bread! Thanks for visiting, glad you liked what you saw, comne back soon 🙂

• Ton van der Molen September 7, 2011 at 20:01 #

Chica,
        I visit your blog almost every week for recipes and your style of writing.
        We have a ( still holliday ) house in Competa, Malaga so I am interested in gardening and cooking mediteranean style.

Ton

• chicaandaluza September 7, 2011 at 21:03 #

Oh I´m so pleased you visit regularly. I can alomost see Competa in the distance from my house – although it´s a long drive! Do hope you get to spend lots of time there.

17. ....RaeDi September 7, 2011 at 02:37 #

The lucky little ones, looks like they liked the biscuits! The scones looks delicious and so do your jams… The Big Man sure is blessed….RaeDi

• chicaandaluza September 7, 2011 at 09:55 #

The biscuits were/are a huge hit (it made so many!). Big Man is always telling me how lucky he is but we do both need to lose some weight…it´s so hard when you love to cook and eat!

18. spicegirlfla September 7, 2011 at 22:29 #

Adorable sweet pups!! Love the haircut and they look very happy to be treated to some baked goodies of their own!!!

• chicaandaluza September 8, 2011 at 10:41 #

I think the biscuits made up for the haircut. Alfi looks so cure with longer hair but when we go out walking he comes back with half the countryside attached to him!

19. sophieinthekitchen September 9, 2011 at 22:04 #

Nice post! I’ve making my own dog cookies for 2 years now, but I am sure my Kaylee will not mine trying a new kind 😉 I was thinking to post my recipe, now I am convince. You have 2 beautiful dogs! Keep posting!
    Sophie in the Kitchen

• chicaandaluza September 9, 2011 at 23:00 #

Oh do post it – I´m sure there are lots of dog lovers out here who would be interested. This was a first for me – and what a success!

1. Chorizo and Green Olive Scones (made with Goose Fat) | Chica Andaluza - August 14, 2014

[…] Scone Week. Yay! Love an excuse for a Food Fiesta. I do have to confess right here that my very favourite scones are from another Celia, she of The Kitchen’s Garden, and I’ve been making them ever since she […]