Tasty Tabbouleh

20 Sep

Fresh and delicious

When you are lucky enough, as we are, to have a vegetable garden full of tasty summer tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers, you are always looking for new ways to serve them. Arriving home from our holiday, we found the veggie garden over run with peppers plus we had a few cucumbers and the first of our new batch of tomatoes turning red.  A neighbour had also left four huge and sweet onions in a bag hanging on our door.  What a great homecoming!

I love tabbouleh, but had forgotten about making it until another kind neighbour bought me round a bag of bulghur wheat.  I have very kind neighbours! It reminded me of how much I enjoy it and what a great use of my summer vegetables it would be.

It´s very easy and quick to prepare and can be made a little in advance of eating so that all the seasoning is absorbed and flavours your salad.

As I was finely chopping a mixture of tomato, cucumber, onion and garlic I realised how similar the base ingredients are to an Andalucían gazpacho, both the blended and the chunky versions.  I also added chopped green and red peppers. I´m not sure how traditional they are but we still have so many, it seemed silly not to.

The wheat had been cooked according to the instructions on the pack, all very simple and straightforward, and when it had cooled a little I added my chopped vegetables, chopped mint and parsley, salt, olive oil and plenty of lemon juice.

And that was it. I left it to chill a little then bought it back to room temperature before eating.  How simple and delicious was that?!

30 Responses to “Tasty Tabbouleh”

1. Tandy September 20, 2011 at 12:01 #

it is so great when you can make of ingredients you have growing! I need to make more salads like this, this summer 🙂

• chicaandaluza September 20, 2011 at 13:38 #

Saves on the shopping – and tastes so good too!

2. frugalfeeding September 20, 2011 at 12:31 #

Very kind neighbour indeed. I made tabbouleh a while ago for my blog, it was simply divine. I used garden ingredients too! Freshly grown ingredients always taste better.

• chicaandaluza September 20, 2011 at 13:39 #

Oh, I must have missed that…will go and check it out! And yes, very kind neighbours. We often find little “gifts” hanging on our door and we try to do the same in return.

3. Mad Dog September 20, 2011 at 13:03 #

Fantastic and I think you are right in your comparison to gazpacho – they are all essential Mediterranean ingredients.

• chicaandaluza September 20, 2011 at 13:39 #

Yes, I hadn´t thought about it before. Even say a greek salad is pretty similar, we just all use the ingredients in slightly different ways!

4. fati's recipes September 20, 2011 at 14:26 #

Oh wow! You cook the bulghur?! 🙂
    I believe we just leave it to soak in water for an hour…. Remember this? 🙂
    The peppers are not traditional, but you’ve got lots, why not add them in, eh? I can’t believe the amount of different versions I’ve seen of tabbouleh… 🙂 All of them seem good, though….

• chicaandaluza September 20, 2011 at 15:27 #

You´re right – bulghur wheat I´ve used before just had to be soaked but this packet definitely said to cook it – and it was perfect! I don´t think I had “discovered” your blog when you posted your great recipe (which I have just checked out)! I think I´ll have to make it again soon as it was so good and a big success at home 🙂

5. spicegirlfla September 20, 2011 at 15:35 #

This is a beautiful and healthy dish and a great way to use all those veggies! And truly there is no one perfect way to make it; a mix of veggies on hand just like a gazpacho….which has me thinking this will be tonight’s dinner!

• chicaandaluza September 20, 2011 at 15:43 #

I agree – use and enjoy what you have to hand…it´s usually the best (and freshest, and tasiest) way!

6. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide September 20, 2011 at 15:59 #

One of my favorites!

7. ambrosiana September 20, 2011 at 17:13 #

This is a gorgeous looking, fresh Tabbouleh!! It screams: I am fresh and eat me!!!!!I do agree with you in adding lots of lemon!! It really makes a difference!! Bravissima!!!

• chicaandaluza September 20, 2011 at 17:51 #

It´s been so frustrating this year, our lemon tree has produced lots of lemons, but with the wind we lost lots of them so am currently having to buy or rely on the goodwill of neighbours!

8. ChgoJohn September 20, 2011 at 18:33 #

I love this salad, or ones similar. And they’re so much better when you can get the vegetables from your own garden. This time, it’s as if your garden rewarded you for going on holiday. I think it’s a sign you should get away more often. 🙂

• chicaandaluza September 20, 2011 at 19:43 #

The garden was good to us while we were away! I´m off to London in October, but I don´t think it will be as kind then 😦

9. Fired Up Cooking SA September 20, 2011 at 19:31 #

Now here’s something else I’ve never made! You keep inspiring me to try new things…I’m looking forward to summer and making this 🙂

• chicaandaluza September 20, 2011 at 19:44 #

As you move into summer we move away from it…oh well, bring on the soups and stews!

10. Caroline September 20, 2011 at 22:05 #

Very jealous that you have such a great garden. That would be nice to always have fresh veggies on hand! This dish looks delicious. 🙂

• chicaandaluza September 20, 2011 at 22:22 #

We´re very lucky…we do appreciate what we have though!

11. JamieAnne September 21, 2011 at 04:42 #

This looks great Tanya!

12. nuvofelt September 21, 2011 at 11:08 #

What a very timely post. I know this sounds silly, but I have been trying to remember the name of this dish! I want to serve it at the weekend, but didn’t know where to start looking.

Thanks for yet another interesting post 🙂

• chicaandaluza September 21, 2011 at 11:57 #

That happnes to me all the time – hope you get to make it soon!

13. gardenfreshtomatoes September 21, 2011 at 15:13 #

That sounds great…I put peppers in my gazpacho, so it’s EXACTLY like it!
    Have to see if there are any left at the market on Saturday – I got exactly 2 out of my garden this year.

• chicaandaluza September 21, 2011 at 15:49 #

But I bet you really enjoyed the 2 that you did grow! Good luck at the market 🙂

14. sportsglutton September 21, 2011 at 23:33 #

Our garden is full these ingredients as well…guess I know what I’ll be making soon enough!

• chicaandaluza September 22, 2011 at 09:03 #

It´s great isn´t it when you can just step outside and “pick” your next meal!

15. Michi September 22, 2011 at 14:40 #

Mmmmmmm. I’m making this!!!!!

• chicaandaluza September 22, 2011 at 15:35 #

We eat it quite a lot because we always have the veggies to hand!