Easy Green Tomato Chutney

27 Sep

Something to relish....sorry, couldn´t resist it!

I hope I´m not too late with this recipe as I know there are plenty of tomato growers out there who will, no doubt, be left with some green tomatoes at the end of the picking season.  I, like many others, had some green tomatoes left from our first crop and decided to give this chutney a go, for the first time ever.

Some of the recipes I found had daunting lists of ingredients.  Finally I came across what looked like a straightforward one in Floyd on Britain and Ireland by the late Keith Floyd. I know the poor man fought with the drink demons at times, but I did love his programmes and his cooking style – always adding in a big dash of wine and a slurp for the cook.

I made very few changes to his recipe, and was pleased with the results.  Here´s what I did.

• A thumb sized piece of garlic, peeled and grated (his recipe calls for it to be bruised and placed in a muslin bag with the chilies and then removed at the end but I left mine in)
  • 4 chilies (he calls for 8-10 and I think next time I´ll use more than I did as there was only a little heat with just 4) I chopped my chilies finely and left them in
  • 2kg green tomatoes, chopped
  • 500g apples (peeled cored and chopped)
  • 250g raisins (chopped but I left mine whole)
  • 625g shallots (I used onions) chopped
  • 2 teaspoons salt
  • 500g  brown sugar
  • 600ml vinegar (he says malt, I used white wine)

Place all the ingredients into a large pan, bring to the boil stirring until the sugar has dissolved and then simmer until it has reached the desired consistency.  Pour into warm sterilised jars and seal.

Result – sweet and sour chutney with a hint of heat.  Perfect with cheese, cold meats, burgers….

41 Responses to “Easy Green Tomato Chutney”

1. Mandy - The Complete Cook Book September 27, 2011 at 09:52 #

LOVE IT!
    Have a happy day.

2. Tandy September 27, 2011 at 10:39 #

I love making green tomato chutney – and have even done it with Spanish tomatoes which are green when ripe 🙂

• chicaandaluza September 27, 2011 at 14:19 #

Those green tomatoes are gorgeous – really full of flavour!

3. chaiselongue1 September 27, 2011 at 12:28 #

It does look good. I think all our tomatoes are going to ripen this year, but we have made green tomato jam in previous years – that’s especially good with goats’ cheese.

• chicaandaluza September 27, 2011 at 14:21 #

Better a red tomato than a green one! I was pleasantly surprised as I had never made this before. And yes, it´s great with goats´ cheese.

4. TheDorsetFinca September 27, 2011 at 12:47 #

Lovely looking recipe!!! Just so upset that my tomatoes were a complete disaster this year. Next time I’m choosing my own varieties instead of nurturing cast-offs!!!! 🙂

• chicaandaluza September 27, 2011 at 14:21 #

The same happened with our cucumbers this year – we used seeds that someone gave us and they were ok, but really only ok.

5. gardenfreshtomatoes September 27, 2011 at 12:56 #

Girlfriend, you read my mind! I’m not bringing in green ones yet, but I had been searching for a recipe like this for next month! A thousand thanks!

I see you couldn’t re-size the Leibster for the sidebar either – if anyone can tell me how to make it fit, I’d love to know!

• chicaandaluza September 27, 2011 at 14:23 #

It´s such a straightforward and easy recipe, can recommend it. And I have trouble with that Liebster logo then gave up with it!

6. Mad Dog September 27, 2011 at 13:59 #

Brilliant and Keith Floyd is a legend – he created the modern, wandering, TV chef format and we probably wouldn’t have food blogs without him!

• chicaandaluza September 27, 2011 at 14:24 #

You´re right about Mr Floyd. He really inspired me in the 80s when I left home and was starting to cook and give dinner parties. I think the book I took this recipe from was one that I bought all that time ago!

7. Bluejellybeans September 27, 2011 at 14:00 #

Yumm! Thanks for another great recipe Chica. This chutney looks fantastic!

• chicaandaluza September 27, 2011 at 14:24 #

I was surprised at how good it was – not having made this before!

8. spicegirlfla September 27, 2011 at 15:00 #

I could see having a jar of that chutney on hand for soo many dishes and sides! The sweet and spicy combo sounds absolutely wonderful and I agree that the simpler the ingredients the better!

• chicaandaluza September 27, 2011 at 17:37 #

Thanks so much – some of the recipes had lists of spices which were ridiculously long. This seems to work just as well.

9. ChgoJohn September 27, 2011 at 15:18 #

I just commented on another blog that my canning operation is closed for the year. You cannot and will not tempt me to can anything else until 2012, no matter how good the recipe sounds — and this one sounds really, really good.

• chicaandaluza September 27, 2011 at 17:37 #

Aah – but I haven´t shown you my Christmas mincemeat yet! Well done you anyway for all that you have done this year. Get back to the delicious Italian recipes now!

10. serenityinthestorm September 27, 2011 at 15:50 #

What a great idea for green tomatoes. We still have some out in the garden. I may just have to make this! Thanks for the recipe!

• chicaandaluza September 27, 2011 at 17:36 #

It probably won´t use them all up (well, I don´t know how many you have) but if you do this and some fried green tomatoes, that should take care of them!

11. JamieAnne September 27, 2011 at 16:22 #

Yum! This looks great! Thanks for linking up!

• chicaandaluza September 27, 2011 at 17:34 #

Thanks Jamie Anne and glad the link up thing worked 🙂

12. forgottenbeast September 27, 2011 at 16:53 #

Thanks for joining the linkup! I have some green tomatoes that I’m afraid are never going to have time to turn red–this would be a perfect use for them! Do you know about how long this chutney would last if I refrigerated it rather than can it?

• chicaandaluza September 27, 2011 at 17:34 #

You´re welcome! I´m not sure how long it would last but going by a similar pickle that I “forgot” in the fridge after I had opened it…months, I should say!

13. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide September 27, 2011 at 17:34 #

Looks great and everyone has a different season. We seem early on everything. So many tomato posts out there and ours are long gone.

14. ceciliag September 27, 2011 at 19:38 #

Thank God.. once again you read my mind, i have SO MANY green tomatoes out there and this relish looks perfect.. i will let you know how it turns out, i may need to make rather a lot of it.. c

• chicaandaluza September 27, 2011 at 22:29 #

The few kilos I made, made quite a few jars – you could end up eating it all year!

15. Lauren September 27, 2011 at 20:54 #

That looks so good! I can’t wait to get my kitchen set up in Madrid to start creating some recipes I’ve seen here. I’m getting tired of the suegra’s house and no cooking privileges!!!

• chicaandaluza September 27, 2011 at 22:33 #

Oh you poor thing. I´d struggle to share a kitchen with my own mother let alone an “in law”. How lovely to be in Madrid – such a beautiful city.

16. foodblogandthedog September 28, 2011 at 19:28 #

This sounds like something I should try. I just need to finish off my fig chutney, I need the jar!! Congrats on your almond crop too, I love their little furry jackets, so cute!!

• chicaandaluza September 29, 2011 at 10:20 #

I know what you mean about jars – I am currently begging all the neighbours for jars! The almonds are so pretty – bet you could have made them look spectacular with your lovely photography 🙂

17. sportsglutton September 28, 2011 at 21:25 #

Not too late for me! Our tomatoes have taken forever to grow and ripen this year and we have plenty of green ones out on the vine. Thanks for the recipe!

• chicaandaluza September 29, 2011 at 10:21 #

Oh good! It really is a very easy recipe, hope you enjoy it…

18. ambrosiana September 28, 2011 at 22:35 #

Green tomato chutney sounds wonderful!!! I can imagine how delicious must be with the tangy taste of green tomatoes.This is a very clever recipe!

• chicaandaluza September 29, 2011 at 10:21 #

It´s a funny concept but a great way of using up some of those tomatoes that just won´t ripen!

19. ....RaeDi September 30, 2011 at 21:30 #

Looks delicious… I made some pickled cherry tomatoes, will be posting soon, (running a little behind!) Would love to know if you have ever made pickled tomatoes? ….RaeDi

• chicaandaluza September 30, 2011 at 22:27 #

No – this isn´t something I´ve done before but they sound good! I have a batch of tomatoes I need to deal with this weekend, so looking forward to reading about yours 🙂

20. Fired Up Cooking SA October 10, 2011 at 21:47 #

I need to grow some tomatoes…..this sounds amazing!

• chicaandaluza October 15, 2011 at 20:03 #

It is rather good – but I still prefer the red ones!

21. thefooddoctor October 13, 2011 at 09:31 #

All the recipes I am seeing today are about fresh garden ingredient
    Oh how I wish I had my own garden!I am missing out big time!!

• chicaandaluza October 15, 2011 at 16:29 #

I had to wait ages for mine…and at least you don´t have to dig or weed 🙂