Pimientos de Padrón – A Spicy Little Snack

29 Sep
Eat them with your fingers!

Eat them with your fingers!

Pimientos de Padrón are a popular tapas, especially when they´re in season during the summer.  They are little green peppers that come from a town in Galicia (northern Spain) called Padrón.  So, their name translated means “peppers from Padrón”.  A little saying about them is that “algunos pican, otros no” which means “some are hot, some are not”. To be honest, as a dedicated chili eater, they´re mostly not that spicy…apart from some we grew last year which seemed to want to be like all the other chilis in the vegetable garden and nearly blew my head off!

Ready for frying

If you do manage to find them, all you do is deep fry them in very hot oil.  When the skin starts to blister and turn black (this will take long moments rather than long minutes), drain them and sprinkle heavily with coarse salt.

Frying tonight!

Eat with a cold beer to wash down the spicy, salty tastes or a delicious clara (that´s a shandy to you and me).

Just what you need...

And whilst you´ve got that oil hot, how about quickly deep frying some sage leaves and sprinkling them with salt too.

Scarily Addictive Sage

They can become really addictive, and as it´s a herb they´ve got to be better for you than crisps…haven´t they?!

66 Responses to “Pimientos de Padrón – A Spicy Little Snack”

1. chaiselongue1 September 29, 2011 at 11:07 #

The drinks look very cooling and the pimientos look good, although when I’ve tried them they’re all too hot for me, so I make this dish with small sweet green peppers. Did you find the originals in Galicia?

• chicaandaluza September 29, 2011 at 14:24 #

Yes, these were from Padrón, but we have also grown some from seeds that we got a few years back from some others from Padrón that my sister in law gave me. They progressviely got hotter each year (which was strange) so next year we´ll probably start again with new seeds!

2. Mandy - The Complete Cook Book September 29, 2011 at 11:14 #

Hmm, wonder if I could handle them Pimientos de Padrón.
    I have just planted my herb seeds so still need to be patient before I can fry some lovely sage.
    Have a super day.

• chicaandaluza September 29, 2011 at 14:25 #

It´s a great way to deal with sage when it needs cutting back!

3. cookinginsens September 29, 2011 at 11:51 #

Those look great! I’ll look for them in the market with my fingers crossed.

• chicaandaluza September 29, 2011 at 14:25 #

You may find them where you are, but if not it´s also good with sweet peppers!

4. Ria September 29, 2011 at 12:07 #

I always seem to get the hot one!

• chicaandaluza September 29, 2011 at 14:26 #

It´s true…you do! And me, who wants one never gets one 😦

• Ria September 30, 2011 at 16:10 #

Just been to Lidl and they had them in as a special – had to buy some to cook later xx

• chicaandaluza September 30, 2011 at 16:24 #

Lidl in London? That´s amazing – hope you enjoy them. Don´t forget…plenty of salt!

5. gardenfreshtomatoes September 29, 2011 at 12:14 #

I saw Padron Peppers in my seed catalogs last spring, and thought it sounded a bit like Russian Roulette….mild one, mild one, mild one, OMG! That’s HOT! 🙂
    I didn’t grow any…but they sound good the way you describe them!
    Fried sage leaves? That, I can try!

• chicaandaluza September 29, 2011 at 14:26 #

Russian roulette – you´re right, that´s how it is! The fried sage is sooo good!

6. ceciliag September 29, 2011 at 13:52 #

I have some peppers out on a bush, john has fogotton their name but some are spicy and some are not, last night i roasted a couple.. On friday when we have a few drinks i may try this and serve with some parmesan crackers, that deep fried sage looks gorgeous.. c

• chicaandaluza September 29, 2011 at 14:27 #

They sound very similar and would be great roasted too. Will those parmesan crackers be made with your very own parmesan, and do we get to see the recipe?!

7. Mad Dog September 29, 2011 at 14:24 #

I love pimientos de padrón – great pictures and that sage looks very tempting 😉

• chicaandaluza September 29, 2011 at 15:07 #

Thank you for your nice words about the pictures – I am not very expert with the camera! I love them too – the thrill of the sting 🙂

8. ChgoJohn September 29, 2011 at 14:55 #

As much as I can appreciate the Russian roulette type of thrill, one hot pepper and I’d be done for the night. I think I’ll stick with the fried sage leaves. Ask me again about the pimientos after I’ve had a few shandies.

• chicaandaluza September 29, 2011 at 15:08 #

Like cats who jump on the laps of people who are allergic or don´t like them, the hot ones always seem to get picked up by the non heat lovers and people like me spend the evening only getting the sweet ones!

9. JamieAnne September 29, 2011 at 15:34 #

These look tasty! I’d need my peppers to be really mild though. I’m a wimp!

• chicaandaluza September 29, 2011 at 17:09 #

You´re not a wimp – I´m just a spice addict!

10. sportsglutton September 29, 2011 at 16:08 #

Deep fried peppers sprinkled with salt is another one of my vices in this world, but I’ve never attempted to fry up sage leaves. It’s on the to do list now! 🙂

• chicaandaluza September 29, 2011 at 17:09 #

Hope you enjoy them – and it´s good ot have a few little vices in life!

11. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide September 29, 2011 at 17:56 #

Wow, I want those and the beer. My mouth got hot just looking at them.

12. Caroline September 29, 2011 at 19:47 #

I’m a sucker for fried sage leaves–plain, with pasta, etc. But these peppers…oh boy! I always order them at sushi restaurants, but never thought of making them myself, which is weird because I love them so much. Those cold beers would be perfect with the peppers!

• chicaandaluza September 30, 2011 at 09:58 #

And they are so easy to make – if you can find them!

13. PendleStitches September 29, 2011 at 19:50 #

Oh goodness. They look amazing!

• chicaandaluza September 30, 2011 at 09:59 #

They are pretty good if you don´t mind the occasional hit of spice!

14. TheDorsetFinca September 29, 2011 at 20:08 #

They look fab – don’t know whether I could handle the heat!

• chicaandaluza September 30, 2011 at 10:00 #

And if you don´t like the spice, I can guarantee that´s the one you´d pick out!

15. Michi September 29, 2011 at 22:11 #

Oooooh, voy a tener que hacer esto!! Thank for teaching me how to cook with all of the great foods available to us in Spain!

16. Karina September 30, 2011 at 06:51 #

Yum, yum, yum. I think I am going to use these as a garnish in my Caesar (a spicy canadian cocktail made with Clamato juice)

• chicaandaluza September 30, 2011 at 10:01 #

Now that cocktail sounds right up my street!

17. Tandy September 30, 2011 at 11:21 #

I have these sometimes hot sometimes not chillies in my garden – most people call them cayenne but mine have morphed into something different! Have a super weekend 🙂

• chicaandaluza September 30, 2011 at 15:59 #

It´s funny – I had some hot yellow ones that have moprhed into something else too!

18. Jay September 30, 2011 at 12:33 #

Omg…I’m totally impressed..
    awesome space you have..
    very interesting posts..
    Am your happy subscriber now..:)
    do stop by mine sometime..
    Tasty Appetite

• chicaandaluza September 30, 2011 at 16:00 #

Glad you like what you see. WIll pop over to yours in a moment 🙂

19. Manu September 30, 2011 at 13:29 #

Yum! These pimientos look delicious!!! And I am a big fan of fried sage leaves! Great tapas! 🙂

• chicaandaluza September 30, 2011 at 16:00 #

Thank you and yes, we are now addicated to the fried sage leaves 🙂

20. Lauren September 30, 2011 at 13:45 #

These are what transitioned me from a “I’m not crazy about fried peppers” girl to a “GIVE ME MORE!!!” woman! Ale’s mom makes these often and I love them. The last time I tried to get a good picture but they just looked weird… good work!

• chicaandaluza September 30, 2011 at 16:01 #

As, the good old Suegra! Have to say, I agree that fried peppers are not the most photogenic of beasties.

21. Ria September 30, 2011 at 17:04 #

Yes in sunny London 🙂 Does it work ok if I shallow fry rather than deep fry them?

• chicaandaluza September 30, 2011 at 18:01 #

Well, it won´t be quite the same, use the smallest pan you have and get the oil as deep as you can and do them in little batches…

22. spicegirlfla September 30, 2011 at 17:17 #

This is a fabulous snack food!! I could so see this at our next football party!! I love spicy hot!

23. ambrosiana September 30, 2011 at 19:04 #

Oh yes!! I would eat those pimientos de padron with my fingers!! It is funny in Latin America we call beer chela (in Mexico), rubia (in Honduras)….The idea of frying sage is cever and fantastic!!! Bravissima!!!

24. ....RaeDi September 30, 2011 at 22:39 #

I know we will be doing both, we both love sage and those pepper look incredible! Love the pictures! ….RaeDi

25. Christina September 30, 2011 at 23:01 #

Those peppers sprinkled with salt sound great! Deep fried sage leaves? Interesting…I must give them a try! 🙂

• chicaandaluza October 1, 2011 at 10:46 #

Oh do try them – they have a lovely flavour 🙂

26. foodblogandthedog October 2, 2011 at 00:14 #

I’ve never found a spicy one yet! But I keep trying, I do love a clara too especially with fanta limon. Going out for lunch tomorrow definitely a clara day!!

• chicaandaluza October 2, 2011 at 12:07 #

My theory holds out – people like us who like the spicy ones, never get them!

27. Rachel October 2, 2011 at 13:34 #

Not sure about the peppers but I looove fried sage! Mmmmm…

• chicaandaluza October 2, 2011 at 20:18 #

It´s great isn´t it – will have to make some more as I fancy it now!

28. florence and freddie October 3, 2011 at 00:05 #

Hi Chica, These look yum. Did you keep any seeds?
    Florence x

29. Lost in Town October 3, 2011 at 13:42 #

Love this taste…cool colors indeed! Perfect also with the red wine!;)

• chicaandaluza October 3, 2011 at 15:04 #

Glad you like it! And thanks for visiting 🙂

30. alican October 4, 2011 at 00:45 #

I would eat this when i am under pressure as comfort food…

31. Fired Up Cooking SA October 19, 2011 at 19:33 #

Okay – you got me craving a cold beer and some of those fried goodies of yours!

I’m playing catch-up now, have missed so many of your posts cos I’ve been so busy, I’m in for a treat 🙂

• chicaandaluza October 23, 2011 at 17:50 #

A cold beer is so good with these! Enjoy the catch up session, I´ll be doing the same next week 🙂

1. Just a Perfect Day…. « Chica Andaluza - July 2, 2012

[…] Spanish picnic would be complete without tortilla, and we also had some fried, salted peppers (although they were sweet today, not […]

2. Stuffed Grilled Peppers « Chica Andaluza - July 22, 2012

[…] leave for the UK. The long thin peppers are doing well. Typically here they are used in salads or deep fried and served with a good sprinkle of […]

3. When life gives you cold rice…you make Arancini « Chica Andaluza - November 5, 2012

[…] eating deep fried food daily, or even weekly, I don´t feel guilty when I do make chips, or deep fried peppers, or croquetas…I do it with joy in the anticipation of how good they´ll taste when they´re […]