Boozy Christmas Fruit

13 Dec

One of my “go to” books at Christmas is Delia Smith´s Christmas.  Sometimes I follow the recipes with just a few tweaks, and other times the book just inspires me to try something new.

My parents are coming out to Spain this year to celebrate Christmas with me and Big Man.  To say I´m excited would be a huge understatement.  When I was growing up, and ever since to be honest, they always made Christmas a very special and magical time for me and my brother.  My grandparents lived with us (my mum´s parents) and next door was my godmother, Zia Luciana, and her two daughters who were all part of our extended family.  I have very happy and treasured memories.

Although I have entertained my parents before at Christmas, it´s been a while, so this year I really want to make it extra special.  Of course, one of the ways I can do this is through the food I prepare for us to share.

My dad requested a Light Christmas Pudding, which features in the Delia Smith book that I have made previously.  I´ll post that soon.  I´m also going to make an ice cream inspired by another recipe and I´ve just made some Boozy Christmas Fruit.  The recipe in the book uses mainly glacé fruit, but it´s a recipe that is flexible.

Here´s what I used (quantities are up to you)

Dried cherries, dried cranberries, dried apricots (chopped), chopped mixed peel, glacé cherries and ginger

All these are put into a jar and covered in a sweet dessert wine (I used a local wine which is very much like Vin Santo).  The recipe calls for Madeira.  I took the shot before it was mixed up to show you the different fruits.  This will now sit quietly in a cool dark place until Christmas Day when it will be spooned over the ice cream and any other desserts we fancy eating it with. I may have to do a few quality control spot checks beforehand though…just to be sure its maturing nicely you understand.

45 Responses to “Boozy Christmas Fruit”

1. Food,Photography & France December 13, 2011 at 08:59 #

Nice idea – don’t the Germans do a similar thing called Rumtopf or the like. I can see this as being delicious with ice cream.

• Chica Andaluza December 13, 2011 at 09:00 #

Ooh – didn´t know about that one. What a great name! Rumtopf…my word of the day 🙂

2. chaiselongue1 December 13, 2011 at 09:01 #

This sounds wonderful, and definitely something you need to keep tasting to check on progress! I’ll try it with our local sweet muscat wine.

• Chica Andaluza December 13, 2011 at 09:23 #

That would be perfect – and very much like the wine I used!

3. Tandy December 13, 2011 at 10:09 #

I think a few checks *hic* each day are a must *hic* 🙂

4. Mad Dog December 13, 2011 at 10:51 #

Sounds like it will all be gone by the end of the week 😉

5. IamSimplyTia December 13, 2011 at 11:38 #

DRUNKEN fruit Over ice cream? This sounds fabulous!!!!!! I think I want to try that. YUM!

6. gardenfreshtomatoes December 13, 2011 at 12:46 #

Too bad it has to sit in the dark – it’s pretty enough to be a centerpiece!
    Of course, that would encourage nibbling, wouldn’t it?

• Chica Andaluza December 13, 2011 at 14:34 #

It will soon “see the light” and be admired by all!

7. thecompletecookbook December 13, 2011 at 13:49 #

Tanya, I am SO EXCITED for you that your folks will be with you for Christmas – I cannot wait to hear all about the fun! Yippee, for you!
    Oh, great boozy fruit too.

• Chica Andaluza December 13, 2011 at 14:34 #

It´s wonderful…I´m like a big kid, planning the menu, buy stocking fillers, getting the decorations out. Yippee!

8. ChgoJohn December 13, 2011 at 14:32 #

This looks so colorful and sounds like it would be delicious served atop ice cream! So glad that you’ll be having your family in for a Christmas visit. I bet this is but one of many special treats that you’ve planned for them. What fun!

• Chica Andaluza December 13, 2011 at 17:54 #

It´s great as I now have a chance to spoil them – and my mum and I work well together in the kitchen which is always fun. Mind you, I don´t want her to really have to work!

9. bitsandbreadcrumbs December 13, 2011 at 15:07 #

That is some beautiful looking fruit, and a great idea to have on hand for Christmas.

• Chica Andaluza December 13, 2011 at 17:54 #

It does look really nice when it´s drizzled over the ice cream (which is made in the shape of a Christmas Pudding)!

10. spree December 13, 2011 at 16:13 #

Boozy fruit…sounds like a new food group to me! And So happy to hear how you’ll be spending Christmas. Joy!

• Chica Andaluza December 13, 2011 at 17:53 #

Brilliant – will make sure I include it regularly in my diet! And thanks for sharing my excitement – am now counting the days 🙂

11. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide December 13, 2011 at 17:17 #

Oh my that sounds wonderful!

12. ceciliag December 13, 2011 at 21:33 #

WOO HOO.. Love this one tanya, i am going to get down a jar and make some RIGHT NOW!.. I have left over fruit and a bottle of dessert wine.. ice wine.. just waiting! right I’m off into the kitchen.. see ya! c

• Chica Andaluza December 13, 2011 at 23:22 #

It will take you all of about 5 mins if you have the ingredients to hand. I had to top mine up tonight as it had absorbed lots of wine!

• ceciliag December 14, 2011 at 13:37 #

mine is doing the same, pity we do not have out OWN dessert wine bottled yet, i shall save a bottle for next years boozy fruit! c

• Chica Andaluza December 14, 2011 at 13:40 #

That would be fantastic to make it with your own wine, but I´m almost ready to make a bet that it would be tough to save a bottle!

• ceciliag December 14, 2011 at 18:26 #

yes i can see saving a bottle might be a problem.. ah well.. c

• Chica Andaluza December 14, 2011 at 18:56 #

Hee hee!

13. Bluejellybeans December 14, 2011 at 00:32 #

Esto tiene una pinta estupenda Secret santa 😉
    Muchas gracias por mi regalo, me ha gustado mucho mucho.
    Por curiosidad, qué vino usaste para esta receta? Es una idea genial.
    Saludos.

• Chica Andaluza December 14, 2011 at 09:36 #

De nada – era difícil mantener el secreto! El vino era un Mosto Moscatel que hacen en un pueblo cerca de aquí – tipo vino del terreno. Yo puedo beber solo un vasito con un postre porque lo encuentro muy dulce, pero a mi marido le gusta también con la comida y con los embutidos (le encanta la mescla de dulce y salado).

14. TBM December 14, 2011 at 14:30 #

You had me at the first word in your title and then I saw the picture. I’m sold. Can you make room for one more this Christmas? Or I can help with the spot checks! Enjoy your family time!

• Chica Andaluza December 14, 2011 at 15:14 #

At Christmas there is always room for one more! And spot checks are very important 🙂

15. Karen December 14, 2011 at 14:46 #

I’m sure your parents are as excited as you about spending Christmas together in Spain. Have a very merry one. Quality control checks are definitely a must…everything totally perfect.

• Chica Andaluza December 14, 2011 at 15:15 #

Thanks Karen – I just spoke to my mum and yes, they are very excited too!

16. spicegirlfla December 14, 2011 at 17:58 #

Oooh girl you know I will be making this!! I’m always soaking something in alcohol!! It justs fabulous to have on hand to add to whatever!! Even over simple ice cream!! I especially love the colors for the season!! I’m so happy for you to be having your family for Christmas!!

• Chica Andaluza December 14, 2011 at 18:20 #

Like you, I love soaking things in alcohol (including myself sometimes!). And you´re right – the colours are very festive. Haven´t actually spent Christmas with my parents for about four or five years, so it´s extra special for us 🙂

17. sportsglutton December 15, 2011 at 05:11 #

My goodness! Why have I never done this before? 🙂

18. Michi December 22, 2011 at 13:23 #

Mmmmmm. D-Man and I actually have a giant jug of port from Albayndín, and have been wondering how else to use it (other than making a type of Solomillio al Pedro Jiménez with it). This is the perfect recipe for all of that extra port wine we have. Thank you!

• Chica Andaluza December 22, 2011 at 14:52 #

Do both Michi – the solomillo would be wonderful with it too!

1. Light Christmas Pudding « Chica Andaluza - December 14, 2011

[…] with custard or brandy sauce, boozy fruits, ice cream….whatever takes your […]

2. Christmas “Pudding” Jewelled Ice Cream « Chica Andaluza - December 20, 2011

[…] as an alternative to pudding, but as well as!  I´ll serve it with my Light Christmas Pudding and Boozy Fruits….and who knows, a few mince pies may sneak onto the table […]

3. Boozy Fruity Goodness « A Dash of Domestic - December 22, 2011

[…] bloggy friend Tanya over at Chica Andaluza posted about a wine based Boozy Christmas Fruit about a week […]

4. Roscón de Reyes – The Cake of Kings « Chica Andaluza - January 4, 2012

[…] approx of sultanas, glacé cherries and candied peel, soaked in alcohol if desired (see my Boozy Fruits […]

5. Chocolate Refrigerator Cake « Chica Andaluza - January 23, 2012

[…] tablespoons of cocoa powder About half a cup of “filling” – I used the last of my drained boozy fruits and added the grated zest of one lemon and one […]