3 Jan

A popular dish for special occasions is fillet of pork cooked in a sauce.  We are lucky that it´s not too expensive, so pork fillet is eaten fairly regularly in our house, but usually it´s just plain grilled and served with a drizzle of olive oil and lemon juice.

Although New Year´s Eve was not the culinary delight we had hoped for, we had all rallied a little by the next morning, and my mum and I made this dish.  It´s actually quite simple to put together and requires no last minute fiddling, so a good dinner party dish if you have guests.

Ingredients (to serve 2)

• One pork fillet
  • 1 large onion peeled, halved and thinly sliced into half moons
  • 2 tablespoons of raisins soaked in half a cup of sweet wine (bring the wine and raisins up to a simmer and leave for an hour or so or even overnight to plump up)
  • 1-2 cups of chicken broth
  • 1 teaspoon of cornflour dissolved in water
  • Seasoning
  • Olive oil

Start by seasoning your pork fillet all over and fry in a tablespoon or two of oil to seal and colour the outside then put the meat to one side.

Pour the wine into the pan in which you sealed the meat and warm it through, scraping up any meat juices as you go.

In a separate frying pan, slowly fry the onions until soft and transparent in some olive oil.  You can put a lid on to help them “poach”. When they are soft, put the pork fillet into the pan, pour over the wine and meat juices and a cup of broth.  Simmer gently for about 20-30 minutes until the meat is cooked through. You may want to add a little more stock as it is cooking.

When the meat is done, remove from the sauce and add a little blended cornflour to thicken the sauce slightly. This is optional, it´s up to you how liquid you like your sauce.

The fillet can either be served whole or sliced thickly with the sauce poured over. If you don´t drink alcohol, this is still a lovely dish made without the dessert wine, just plump up the raisins in extra stock.  With the wine the sauce is slightly sweet but tangy and savoury from the seasoning and stock.  Delicious served with boulangere or puréed potatoes or rice.

For another lovely version of this popular dish, check out Michi´s version here.

45 Responses to “Solomillo De Cerdo con Uvas Pasas y Pedro Ximénez – Pork Fillet with Raisins and Sweet Wine”

1. mcfdekker January 3, 2012 at 16:16 #

This looks really, really delicious! I like the combination of sweet and savory. I might have to give it a try one day. Along with tons of other delicious recipes you have in here 🙂

• Chica Andaluza January 3, 2012 at 16:57 #

Thanks so much – I´ll make your beautiful dresses and you make a recipe or two!

2. Mad Dog January 3, 2012 at 16:22 #

It definitely sounds like you are all better and great looking pork 😉

3. Malou Prestado January 3, 2012 at 16:37 #

Looks very delicious. I love the idea of wine in this dish and I’d love to sip some wine too.

4. spicegirlfla January 3, 2012 at 17:16 #

Oh this looks really good! I love the sweetness of the wine soaked raisins to the pork, just the perfect touch!!

• Chica Andaluza January 3, 2012 at 17:40 #

And I think we were more than ready for it too 🙂

5. ChgoJohn January 3, 2012 at 17:40 #

This does sound delicious, Tanya, made all the better by those drunken raisins. And it’s easy to prepare — my kind of dish! Thanks for sharing!

• Chica Andaluza January 3, 2012 at 19:12 #

Glad you like it – anything drunken is good too!

6. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide January 3, 2012 at 19:18 #

I don’t like raisins and still I want to eat that whole platter!

• Chica Andaluza January 3, 2012 at 19:24 #

Oh yes, I forgot! How about using grapes instead? Or leaving them out completely 😉

7. Just A Smidgen January 3, 2012 at 19:23 #

At first I thought this was dessert… it is so luscious looking. I love the plumped raisins… it would be the finishing touch!!

• Chica Andaluza January 3, 2012 at 19:36 #

Add a blob of whipped cream and let´s call it pudding!

8. gardenfreshtomatoes January 3, 2012 at 20:16 #

OMG Tanya! Quick, easy, and I’ll bet even the toddler would eat it!
    Of course, her Grandad and I will get all the boozy raisins and give her plain ones…
    Tell the Raisin-Hater he can sub dried cherries. He’ll love it!

• Chica Andaluza January 3, 2012 at 20:23 #

I think most toddlers would eat something savoury with a sweet taste! And you and her Grandad should definitely get the boozy raisins. Greg….cherries, cherries!!

9. kathryningrid January 3, 2012 at 20:27 #

Is there anything pork cannot do??

10. Michi January 3, 2012 at 21:03 #

YES!!! Mmmmm, yours looks so yummy with the raisins (I love this recipe with the raisins!). I’ll link over your version too!! 🙂

11. ceciliag January 3, 2012 at 21:39 #

Pork lends itself to these good strong tastes, esp the raisins.. I like this idea i shall try it when i get pork fillet.. thank you tanya! c

• Chica Andaluza January 3, 2012 at 21:57 #

It´s good and I don´t usually like sweeter flavoured sauces!

12. Caroline January 3, 2012 at 22:29 #

I thought this was a dessert at first as well! The pork almost looked like bananas haha. But oh man does this dish ever look and sound delicious! I’m sure that sauce is divine. x

• Chica Andaluza January 3, 2012 at 22:34 #

I think I´m going to have to do a dessert version now!

13. ....RaeDi January 3, 2012 at 23:41 #

One of these night we are showing up for dinner, this looks delicious!

14. Tandy January 4, 2012 at 07:28 #

ditch the raisins (for me) and I love it! Pork is also quite cheap here so we eat quite a fair bit of it 🙂

15. Kay aka Babygirl January 4, 2012 at 07:38 #

Oh my goodness, this pork fillet looks amazing. There’s nothing like a wonderful pork dish to make the day wonderful 🙂

16. cookinginsens January 4, 2012 at 08:20 #

This is what is meant by “luscious”!

17. thecompletecookbook January 4, 2012 at 13:38 #

We have just bought half a pig but no darn fillet! Looks delicious Tanya.

• Chica Andaluza January 4, 2012 at 15:00 #

How about the loin?! Otherwise I´m sure you´ll do lots of lovely braais 🙂

• thecompletecookbook January 4, 2012 at 15:32 #

The only little bits of loin are all attached to the other end of chops so those braais are definitely in order! xo

18. TBM January 4, 2012 at 15:21 #

Looks good. I have a hard time believing that you make plain dishes.

• Chica Andaluza January 4, 2012 at 15:43 #

I do, I do! Most of the time in fact 🙂

• TBM January 4, 2012 at 15:44 #

We might have different definitions of plain. I’m thinking no matter what you make, it is good.

• Chica Andaluza January 4, 2012 at 16:48 #

Ah – thank you so much!

19. Karen January 5, 2012 at 12:57 #

Tanya, This sounds delicious. Pork fillet is so tender and good…I can’t wait to try your recipe.

• Chica Andaluza January 5, 2012 at 13:11 #

Can highly recommend it and if you don´t like it too sweet you can use white wine instead of sweet (I do sometimes, but I hope no one tells the Spanish Cooking Police!).

20. sportsglutton January 5, 2012 at 16:29 #

Fantastic sounding recipe, especially with using the PX….something I’m very fond of.

• Chica Andaluza January 5, 2012 at 17:03 #

Ooh – thought if anyone would know it, it would be you!

21. Christina January 6, 2012 at 00:37 #

This looks great! So quick and easy, especially for those busy weeknights! 🙂