Ginger Spiced Carrot and Split Pea Soup

3 Feb

Winter and soups go together. As do winter and colds and I´ve got one right now. Fortunately it´s not too bad, as I´m still cooking and enjoying my food. Shame really, as a day or two of fasting is probably no bad thing for me.

I fancied soup this morning but didn´t want to wait for hours for stock to simmer. Now that I´ve realised I can buy split yellow peas in our supermarket, I don´t even have to wait overnight for other legumes to soak before cooking.  They´re also super healthy, packed with protein and fibre and low in fat.  This means they fill you up without filling you out.

As my sense of taste and smell is a little dulled at the moment due to my cold, I decided to make a warming spicy soup to try and wake those senses up a little.

To serve 4 as a main course

• 1 cup of split yellow peas (or you could use lentils) rinsed
  • 5 cups of water
  • 3 medium carrots, peeled and finely diced
  • 1 cup of minced tomatoes or conserva
  • 1 heaped tablespoon of tomato purée
  • 1 teaspoon of ground cumin
  • ½ teaspoon of chili powder
  • 1 piece of fresh ginger (about the size of your thumb) peeled and grated or use a teaspoon of dried ginger
  • 3 cloves of crushed garlic
  • Salt to taste (but do not add until the soup is cooked)

Put all the ingredients into a large saucepan, bring to the boil then cover and reduce to a simmer for about 30 minutes until the split peas and carrots are cooked.  Season to taste and either eat as is or purée with an immersion stick blender or in your regular blender.  It´s good with a dollop of creamy natural yogurt but I prefer a drizzle of olive oil, a squeeze of lemon juice and a sprinkle of extra cumin.  Serve piping hot, sitting by the fire.

60 Responses to “Ginger Spiced Carrot and Split Pea Soup”

1. Bluejellybeans February 3, 2012 at 10:20 #

Yummy!
    As I told you before in a previous post, I have split yellow peas at home, so this is another recipe I’m going to try… maybe tonight 🙂
    ¡Qué frío!
    Saludos,
    G

• Chica Andaluza February 3, 2012 at 10:45 #

Qué frio aquí tambien! Maybe we´ll convert you yet to liking yellow Split peas…I found them in Mercadona, they call them lentejas peladas.

2. TBM February 3, 2012 at 10:29 #

This does sound tasty on a cold winter night! And it has been cold the past few days. I hope you feel better soon. I hate colds!

• Chica Andaluza February 3, 2012 at 10:45 #

Am already on the mend..I think I got off lightly. Or maybe it was the soup that helped?!

3. thecompletecookbook February 3, 2012 at 10:33 #

So sorry to hear you have a cold Tanya, hope you are better soon. It’s never fun cooking when you are feeling sickies. Your soup sounds fantastic, love the idea of the ginger and chilli with the split peas and carrots.

• Chica Andaluza February 3, 2012 at 10:46 #

Thanks Mandy, am actually feeling better today (I made the soup yesterday)…but it´s freezing here for the first time this winter so am staying inside by the fire 😉

4. Lena February 3, 2012 at 11:07 #

Nom-nom-nom 🙂

5. Fiona Flores Watson February 3, 2012 at 11:24 #

That sounds so warming and delicious, especially for this racha de frio we’re having at the moment. Ginger is yummy in carrot juice too (not that I ever get around to making it!) Will look out for lentejas peladas in Merky.

• Chica Andaluza February 3, 2012 at 12:43 #

The racha de frio is here too – we have puddles of ice which is unheard of here!

6. The Spain Scoop - Scoopette February 3, 2012 at 12:02 #

Ok, writing down ingredients to get later today to make this! Question: when you buy pre-made stock, do you go for Aneto or what do you recommend?

• Chica Andaluza February 3, 2012 at 12:44 #

When I buy pre made I usually just get Mercadona´s own brand…not too salty and a good taste. Hope you enjoy it!

7. gardenfreshtomatoes February 3, 2012 at 12:58 #

THAT sounds great…love carrots and ginger.
    (Although, when I have a cold, and I’m doing the cooking, I’ve been known to over-spice it according to everyone else!)
    Feel better soon – this soup should help!

• Chica Andaluza February 3, 2012 at 13:43 #

That´s the thing when you have a cold – you can´t taste much so can go overboard…in a good way…with the spices 😉

8. Mad Dog February 3, 2012 at 13:43 #

That sounds brilliant – glad to hear you are feeling better too 😉

• Chica Andaluza February 3, 2012 at 14:01 #

Ah, thanks Mad! Nothing a good bowl of soup can´t sort out…well, almost 😉

9. ChgoJohn February 3, 2012 at 14:21 #

Sorry, Tanya, that you’re feeling a little under the weather. This is the time of year for it. You created a very flavorful and hearty soup here, just what the doctor ordered. I hope you feel better real soon. THe mountain needs you!

• Chica Andaluza February 3, 2012 at 15:31 #

Thank you John – I seem to have perked up quickly thanks to staying warm and cosy and eating soup. No mountain walks the last few days with the dogs, but soon…

10. promenadeplantings February 3, 2012 at 14:39 #

Yum, lovely soup with lots of goodness, especially the lentils, so good for you!

11. spree February 3, 2012 at 15:12 #

Tanya, sorry to hear a cold is trying to bring you down. You’ve concocted a soup with all the right cold-chasing ingredients though. I love it when our bodies know just what they need to heal! Rest and be well soon!

• Chica Andaluza February 3, 2012 at 15:32 #

Thank you Spree – it´s so true, our bodies do tell us what we need. No doubt mine will soon be telling me again that it needs wine and cheese….

12. Malou February 3, 2012 at 17:31 #

I’m so curious to try this version of the pea soup. I love ginger which I think is wonderful in this soup with its refreshing impact to the taste. Perfect on a chilly winter evening 😉

• Chica Andaluza February 3, 2012 at 17:45 #

It´s so quick and easy to make and is full of really warming flavours…I hope you enjoy it if you make it!

13. Evie February 3, 2012 at 18:30 #

Looks gorgeous. We’ve been eating carrot, garlic and ground coriander soup this week. Fragrant from the garlic, sweet from the carrots and with a bit of a heat from the coriander. Perfect as the temperatures drop. This looks equally suitable!

• Chica Andaluza February 3, 2012 at 19:06 #

Now that so0unds good – I love coriander, will have to give it a go!

14. peasepudding February 3, 2012 at 18:43 #

I love the combination with the cumin and ginger, I’m a big fan of pea soup but like to stray away from the traditional style so this is perfect.

• Chica Andaluza February 3, 2012 at 19:07 #

It makes a nice change and it warms your “cockles”…whatever they may be 😉

15. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide February 3, 2012 at 19:34 #

Hi, I have a dumb question. My split peas are green. Should I use those or my brown lentils. Thanks!

• Chica Andaluza February 3, 2012 at 21:37 #

I think you could go for either – think the green will cook slightly quicker though. Let me know how it goes!

16. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide February 3, 2012 at 19:35 #

Oh and yum!

17. spicegirlfla February 3, 2012 at 20:28 #

We are having a very rainy day today and as soon as I opened this up it looked like the perfect bowl of comfort!! And the bread caught my eye too!! I’m such a bread lover tho I watch it carefully, yours looks so fresh! This is a perfect meal all around!!

• Chica Andaluza February 3, 2012 at 21:38 #

That was Bread Man´s bread, baked that morning and hanging on my front door when I got up!

18. bitsandbreadcrumbs February 3, 2012 at 22:09 #

Your soup sounds delicious and so easy…my favorite kind of soup! I hope the soup and the vitamin C from that extra bit of citrus has chased your cold away. I know I’ve seen yellow split peas here from time to time and I’m adding this soup to my “list!”

• Chica Andaluza February 3, 2012 at 22:15 #

Thank you Betsy – glad you liked it. Am feeling a whole lot better and I think I owe it to the soup and the squeeze of lemon juice!

19. Lauren (Spanish Sabores) February 3, 2012 at 22:42 #

Ahh! I am on the couch with a cold and seeing this is torture! I want some right now!

• Chica Andaluza February 4, 2012 at 10:11 #

Wish I could send you some over. Hope you feel better soon!

20. Caroline February 3, 2012 at 22:52 #

Mmm this soup really does sound fantastic! Now if only it were a bit chillier here…argh. I need to put the immersion blender to use that Santa bought me. 😉

• Chica Andaluza February 4, 2012 at 10:13 #

Get that blender out – you could always make chilled soups!

21. Christina February 3, 2012 at 23:33 #

This looks so warm and comforting! 🙂

22. kathryningrid February 4, 2012 at 05:25 #

Warming and full of just the right ingredients for improving your health *and* (if it’s affected) your mood, I would think. Be well, my dear!
    xoxo

• Chica Andaluza February 4, 2012 at 10:13 #

It worked its magic and so much better now – thank you!

23. ....RaeDi February 5, 2012 at 00:03 #

Perfect soup for someone that needs a little pick me up! Hope you are feeling better!

24. Charles February 5, 2012 at 03:52 #

Mm, there’s a place in the mall near my home which serves a ginger/tomato/lentil soup and it’s awesome. I love love lentils or split peas in soup, and ginger makes a very welcome addition in winter. The soup looks like a real winter warmer – hope you’re feeling better soon!

• Chica Andaluza February 5, 2012 at 10:46 #

Hi Charles, that tomato and lentil soups sounds good – there are so many variations you can make. All better now, thank you!

25. Calico Stretch February 5, 2012 at 06:08 #

Yum – and who said you can’t have soup in summer? I especially like making soup when all you have to do is throw everything in a pot and cook. Oh, and eat of course.

• Chica Andaluza February 5, 2012 at 10:47 #

Soup was the best culinary invention ever (well, almost!)… 🙂

26. rsmacaalay February 5, 2012 at 08:13 #

I dont care if its winter or summer as long as it is a good soup then I will have it, like your post I love the flavours in that bowl of hearty goodness

• Chica Andaluza February 5, 2012 at 10:47 #

Thanks Raymund – I think there are lots of us here who could eat soup all year round!

27. sportsglutton February 5, 2012 at 14:44 #

Such an interesting combination of flavors…that I probably would have never thought to put together. I bet it was delish,especially when enjoying in front of a fire.

28. Michi February 5, 2012 at 16:29 #

Mmmm, delicioso!! This sounds similar to a lentil soup I make, too! I also use lentils, ginger, cumin, and carrots, but throw in some sweet potato and an apple as well. I’ve been meaning to post it up. I’ll do it soon!

• Chica Andaluza February 5, 2012 at 16:51 #

Oooh – apple and sweet potato too. That takes it to another level of deliciousness!

29. katyarich February 6, 2012 at 08:41 #

Very good combination with ginger and this soup is all we need, it’s being quite cold over here, I’m looking for sunshine again, have a good week, :)katya

• Chica Andaluza February 6, 2012 at 12:16 #

Hi Katya – yes it´s perfect for the cold….we have low temperatures but bright sunshine, so it´s lovely!

1. Root Root Riot! « I Heart Mondegreens - February 28, 2012

[…] a tasty puréed Ginger Spiced Carrot and Split Pea Soup, check out Chica Andaluza’s site! Her Spanish recipes are amaaaazing.* 40.463667 -3.749220 Share this!EmailLike this:LikeBe the […]

2. Going to the Wedding Dress 1 « Chica Andaluza - April 14, 2012

[…] Alert –click away now if you´d rather read a recipe. Why not try this one for a cold, rainy […]

3. Spiced Carrot Soup « Chica Andaluza - February 4, 2013

[…] do check out another version of this soup I make with split peas. […]