Huevos Revueltos con Gambas y Setas – Scrambled Eggs with Prawns and Mushrooms

18 Feb

This is a bit of a “non recipe” recipe, as scrambled eggs are not really so tricky to do.  And as for my photos of the end result – well, not so appealing.  I know that many of you out there can make them look creamy and gorgeous but it was a case of “snap ´em quick as we don´t want to eat cold, dried out scrambled eggs”. Sorry.

Funnily enough, these are such highly prized dishes here that scrambled eggs (in different variations) often appear on restaurant menus as starters and top chefs demonstrate the art of cooking them on TV cooking programmes.  I do find that a little odd, as scrambled eggs was the first thing I was “taught” to cook by Sister Sylvia in my convent school cookery lessons.  I had already been baking and making meals at home so was a little insulted when a tiny chain smoking nun who wore high heels and a very elaborate hair do told me off for not getting into the corners of the pan with my wooden spoon.

When I told her that round saucepans don´t have corners (and between us convent girls we all knew she bought cigarettes and sherry with our cookery money) a wary truce was established but, much to my family´s surprise, I loathed cookery lessons at school. I was quite a bratty and opnionated 13 year old as you can see…

So, I digress.  Back to a quick and tasty and very Spanish supper dish for two.

Ingredients

• About a cup and half of mixed mushrooms (they sell very good bags of mixed frozen mushrooms here which, when defrosted, are perfect for this and other dishes)
  • A cup of peeled prawns (shrimp) – or keep it vegetarian by leaving these out
  • One clove of crushed garlic
  • Four eggs (free range if possible)
  • A splash of milk
  • Seasoning
  • Olive oil or butter for frying (we use oil and I sometimes stir in a knob of butter to the eggs at the end)
  • A heaped tablespoon of finely chopped parsley,

Beat the eggs, milk and seasoning together and put to one side.  Now slowly fry the garlic and mushrooms until the mushrooms have given off their juices and are tender. How long this takes will depend on your mushrooms. Now turn the heat up, add the prawns and stir fry until pink.

Keeping the heat at medium, add the eggs and scramble to your liking (don´t forget the corners!). When they are a few seconds away from being done, stir in the parsley and serve with crusty bread or toast and a glass of something gorgeous.

54 Responses to “Huevos Revueltos con Gambas y Setas – Scrambled Eggs with Prawns and Mushrooms”

1. chaiselongue1 February 18, 2012 at 10:28 #

Sister Sylvia sounds like a great sparring partner for an opinionated 13-year-old! I never used to like scrambled eggs until I discovered huevos revueltos with jamon, or chorizo, or prawns….prawns and mushrooms together looks like a real treat!

• Chica Andaluza February 18, 2012 at 10:40 #

I loved school, but my most hated lessons were art and needlework. Now I spend all my time cooking and either sewing, knitting or crocheting! How strange. Like you, I was not previously a big fan of scrambled eggs, but now I really enjoy them. Mind you, I like mine really soft and Big Man likes his more cooked so I have to take half out the pan earlier for me and then cook the rest for a little longer 😉

2. Mad Dog February 18, 2012 at 13:09 #

Now that’s what I want for breakfast today! I used to go to a little Basque restaurant in Barcelona specifically for their huevos revueltos. Sister Sylvia sounds hilarious 😉

• Chica Andaluza February 18, 2012 at 18:51 #

Sister Sylvia was a demon….one of my pals set fire to the cookery room (accidentally she says) on the day of her cookery O´Level!

3. gardenfreshtomatoes February 18, 2012 at 13:34 #

Oh, yum!
    It’s funny – Hubby is willing to have eggs for dinner when we’re in France, but turns up his nose when I suggest them at home! Strange man…I could eat this any time of day!

• Chica Andaluza February 18, 2012 at 18:52 #

Big Man will eat all sorts of things in the UK but will turn his nose up at them here…I think it´s a “man” thing?!

4. Florence February 18, 2012 at 14:11 #

Hi T, I can’t imagine you being “Bratty”! lol! Looks delicious.
    Regards Florence x

5. deairby February 18, 2012 at 18:37 #

enjoyed the convent venting….lol, can so picture it

• Chica Andaluza February 18, 2012 at 18:50 #

I was a bad convent girl 😉

• deairby February 19, 2012 at 12:34 #

she was a bad convent nun!

6. spree February 18, 2012 at 18:58 #

“a tiny chain smoking nun who wore high heels and a very elaborate hair do told me off for not getting into the corners of the pan with my wooden spoon.” oh the pictures you paint Tanya! I wouldn’t worry at ALL about a photo that doesn’t live up to your expectations. Your word pictures more than make up for any quickly-snapped shot! (And of COURSE you did the right thing by eating it warm!) I don’t think I’ve ever seen frozen mushrooms. hmmm. But the combination of mushrooms, shrimp, garlic and eggs sounds pretty heavenly…and you obvious didn’t need “no chain-smoking convent nun” teaching you how to cook like an angel! 🙂

• Chica Andaluza February 18, 2012 at 20:15 #

Hi Spree – Sister Sylvia was a demon, even our mother´s were slightly scared of her 😉 Frozen mushrooms – yes, weird concept but we don´t get much variety here (unless we go off for a hike) so I gave them a go one day out of desperation and they were surprisingly good!

7. ChgoJohn February 18, 2012 at 20:10 #

What’s not to love about this post? Well, other than Sister Sylvia, that is. Chuckled over your comment about getting a quick shot so that you could eat. I’ve had quite a few cold dinners because I’d tried to get that perfect photo. I’m definitely one of those people that would order scrambled eggs for a starter. I love ’em and I’ll be fixing this recipe soon. It’s a keeper!

• Chica Andaluza February 18, 2012 at 20:16 #

Thanks John – wasn´t sure whether to include it or not as it´s such a simple dish. But, in a nod to the Spanish, it´s a big favourite here so I thought it was authentic! And as for cold scrambled eggs….some things I can eat cold, but not that!

8. JamieAnne February 18, 2012 at 21:31 #

Looks really tasty! Yum.

9. Calico Stretch February 18, 2012 at 21:35 #

Simple is great and it reminds us all that we don’t have to be flash and fancy ‘all the time’.

I wonder if Sister Sylvia had an interesting past?! I bet she did…

I think I might have to make this for dinner one night as we all love scrambled eggs and the kids could maybe actually try shrimps. Hah. Actually I kinda hope not cos then I can have them all…..

Emily

• Chica Andaluza February 19, 2012 at 10:38 #

I agree, sometimes you have to just keep things quick and simple! I´ve been wondering about Sister Sylvia since I read your comment – she certainly didn´t seem very nun like!

10. Michi February 19, 2012 at 00:33 #

Sister Sylvia would have probably been my favorite nun had I gone to your school, haha. The serious looming ones at mine terrified me, with the exception of my wonderful 2nd grade math teacher (it was one of the years I ever loved math).
    I’ll admit that my first revuelto here in Spain traumatized me (it was grey and tasted like dishwater), and I never had another until D-Man insisted I try his recipe. Thank God I met a Spaniard, or I would have been turned off scrambled eggs for ever.

• Chica Andaluza February 19, 2012 at 10:37 #

Same here re scrambled eggs, was previously not a big fan! Sister Sylvia was a funny one – she actually wasn´t very nice whereas most of the other nuns were pretty good fun!

11. island traveler February 19, 2012 at 01:25 #

I miss eating Gambas…delicious, spicy, sizzling Gambas. I used to eat them when I was still in the tropics. They have the juiciest shrimps I ever tasted. Mmmmmmm….so good!

12. delicio8 February 19, 2012 at 01:46 #

Funny! I went to Catholic school as well so I can relate. Why are the nuns so mean and scary most of the time? Although if I was a nun I would probably use a mean face and be strict and inside I’d be laughing. Yes I suppose I’m a bit evil at heart. Anyway I also related to your eating it warm and damn the picture. So many times I’ll be making something and think oh I should blog about this but it’s much too late at that point!

• Chica Andaluza February 19, 2012 at 10:43 #

Luckily most of our nuns we pretty lovely and good fun – apart from Sister Sylvia and the Head Mistress! And yes, I often do the same with what I´ve cooked…when the plates are almost scraped clean I think “ooh, I missed a good photo there!”

13. Rachel February 19, 2012 at 02:36 #

You know I’m not much of an “egg” girl, but if you leave them out I’ll happily eat gambas and ‘shrooms by the bucketful 🙂 Mmmmm!!

14. delicio8 February 19, 2012 at 03:07 #

I just made this for dinner and it was great! Thank you. Sometimes we just need something quick, easy and yummy. I have such a busy weekend scheduled and this helped tremendously.

• Chica Andaluza February 19, 2012 at 10:44 #

Fantastic – I´m so pleased, especially as I was in two minds about posting it!

15. Just A Smidgen February 19, 2012 at 03:58 #

Hmmm, a bratty little Chica… an opinionated Chica… nope, I can’t do it, I just can’t picture you like this! I just see you laughing at your stove-top.. whisking eggs like nobody’s business. I’d stand in your corner any day… let’s take on those chain-smokin’ nuns!! Btw I have had some scrambled failures, separations of water sorts and dry scrambled… so there is a definite knack and you’ve got it!

• Chica Andaluza February 19, 2012 at 10:45 #

You´re too kind! I liek to think I have mellowed since the hormonal teenage years!

16. kathryningrid February 19, 2012 at 15:31 #

I love the imagery in this one too! I have *such* a picture of Sister Sylvia Sharpstockings in my mind!!!

I do love to make creamy scrambled eggs, with or without cheese, mushrooms, jamon, shrimps, and so forth, and R loves them for breakfast, lunch or dinner as well, so we will happily imitate this post any time. Sans nagging nuns. 😉

17. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide February 19, 2012 at 16:35 #

Is it bad I want to wrap this all up in a tortilla!

• Chica Andaluza February 19, 2012 at 20:30 #

I think that´s a wonderful idea, wish I´d thought of it!

• sportsglutton February 20, 2012 at 17:46 #

I’m 100% with Greg on this one, but I’d thoroughly enjoy it without a tortilla as well!

• Chica Andaluza February 20, 2012 at 18:02 #

I am liking this male point of view…will have to give it a go next time!

18. thecompletecookbook February 19, 2012 at 20:36 #

Blimey – talk about a nun with a difference!
    LOVE your scrambled eggs – delicious!

• Chica Andaluza February 20, 2012 at 08:43 #

Ooh, she was, she was! Hope you had a good weekend Mandy 🙂

19. Charles February 19, 2012 at 22:26 #

Aah, I love scrambled eggs – I thought I could see those beautiful mushrooms too in the photo. Mmm, lovely pieces of mushroom, and prawns too… what a great dish, and a fab “upgrade” to scrambled eggs too!

20. ....RaeDi February 20, 2012 at 01:11 #

This looks incredible! I love shrimp and I love egg dishes… T will love too!

21. Michelle February 20, 2012 at 01:56 #

Ah, I will never understand why Americans don’t seem to understand the concept of scrambled eggs for dinner. I will never forget a simple though very buttery scrambled egg dish I had for an entrée (French meaning of the word!) on my first trip to Paris. These look grand.

• Chica Andaluza February 20, 2012 at 09:11 #

It´s funny isn´t it – we eat them in the UK and Spain as a starter or light supper dish. Mind you, in the US and Spain they eat salad as a starter and in the UK and Italy it accompanies the main or comes after it! Each to his own 😉

22. Tandy February 20, 2012 at 09:23 #

ha ha, silly nun! Scrambled eggs done well are a good indication of a chefs ability for some strange reason! I have just done a scrambled egg post and will keep it in my draft folder for a bit – sadly, mine did not have prawns 🙂

• Chica Andaluza February 20, 2012 at 09:40 #

Thanks Tandy! And post away – I often find I prepare something and then three others do the same or similar…it means we all enjoy the same things sometimes!

23. Karen February 23, 2012 at 03:18 #

Eggs are such a simple but good dish to have anytime of the day. Your sound great. I have never seen frozen mushrooms here…wish we did.

• Chica Andaluza February 23, 2012 at 10:06 #

They´re a good emergency “store cupboard” (or freezer!) standby and when used like this seem to suffer no ill effects from having been frozen.

24. delicio8 February 24, 2012 at 22:52 #

I linked to your very popular recipe on my blog because I made this twice in a row and thought other people might enjoy it too!

25. halal786 April 20, 2012 at 23:53 #

Reblogged this on Halal786's Blog and commented:
    Yummy…in your tummy!!

1. Pastries & prostitutes! « delicio8 - February 24, 2012

[…] I actually made.  How sad.  The other dish (which I cooked two nights in a row!) was courtesy of Chica Andaluza’s Huevos Revueltos Con Gambas y Setas, which translates as Scrambled Eggs with Prawns & Mushrooms.  Quick, easy and tasty.  […]