Salpicón De Mariscos – Seafood Salad

3 Apr

So many colours!

A typical tapas here which offers the best from the sea and the best from the salad garden is a Salpicón de Mariscos. We also enjoy it as a light lunch or supper dish or a starter.  Of course, there are many ways of making it, depending on what you have available.  Avocado? Yes, put some in. Don´t like cucumber? Leave it out.

Here´s my version which I also made a lemon vinaigrette for.  Typically though it would just be dressed with salt, white wine vinegar and olive oil.

Serves four as a starter or two as a main course.

Vegetables (all to be chopped into roughly 1cm squares)

• Two long thin green peppers or one green bell pepper
  • Half a large red bell pepper
  • One medium red onion (or a sweet white onion). Tip…if you thinly slice and then leave in iced water for about 30 minutes and then drain before adding to your salad, it will remove any harshness of flavour
  • One small cucumber, partly peeled
  • Two carrots peeled and cut into thin strips with a peeler (this is not typical, but I enjoy the crunch and colour) and then cut into smaller pieces
  • One large salad tomato (add this just before serving)
  • Two heaped tablespoons of chopped flat leaf parsley

Seafood

• A mixture of cooked prawns, octopus, mussels – I had about 2 cups in total

Dressing

• One clove of crushed garlic, half the juice of a lemon, olive oil (you want 3 measures of oil to one of lemon), salt, pepper, half a teaspoon of sugar, a quarter teaspoon of English mustard powder (or use half a teaspoon of made up mustard)

Also – the grated zest of one lemon

Method

Mix together the salad and seafood.  If you are using tomato (and/or avocado) add just before serving.

Shake the dressing ingredients in a jar, taste and adjust seasoning to your preference.  Pour over the salad and mix gently.

This benefits from sitting somewhere cool  (but not cold) for at least an hour before eating. Otherwise you can make ahead, store in the fridge and then remove it an hour before serving.  Add the tomatoes and/or avocado if using, grate over the lemon zest and give it one final stir.

Have plenty of crusty bread to hand to mop up all those lovely lemony juices.

57 Responses to “Salpicón De Mariscos – Seafood Salad”

1. Mad Dog April 3, 2012 at 00:44 #

That looks and sounds amazing – especially with your fantastic lemons 😉

• Chica Andaluza April 3, 2012 at 12:31 #

Thanks MD – I make it when I miss summer! Luckily the lemons are growing year round 😉

2. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide April 3, 2012 at 01:36 #

This looks wonderful. I do the same thing with the squid when I run out of stuffing, use the leftovers for a salad. Such a cool, fresh dish.

3. Just A Smidgen April 3, 2012 at 01:38 #

This is a delightful combination of flavors.. It’s so fresh looking and healthy as well! xo Smidge

• Chica Andaluza April 3, 2012 at 12:32 #

You can feel the vitamins doing you good as you eat it!

4. Lula Harp April 3, 2012 at 02:43 #

This sounds divine! I’ll certainly add this to my list. Thanks for sharing

5. fati's recipes April 3, 2012 at 03:09 #

YUM! This looks amazing… so fresh and healthy, I really want to try it… I tried octopus for the first time last year, and it was weird… just like this squidgy thing in your mouth – with no particular taste to it… so now that I’m not scared of eating them, I’ll be happy to give this salad a go! 😀

• Chica Andaluza April 3, 2012 at 12:33 #

Glad you overcame your fear. When it´s cooked slowly it is firm but tender with a lovely taste of the sea!

6. Michelle April 3, 2012 at 03:21 #

Oh, Tanya, must you torture us landlocked locavores?

7. ChgoJohn April 3, 2012 at 03:44 #

This is such a fresh looking salad, Tanya! 12 cups of seafood? That’s just incredible! I’ve only one question: That’s fine for me. What are the other 3 going to eat?

• Chica Andaluza April 3, 2012 at 12:34 #

Gosh I had to go back and check what I typed! I think it was only 2 cups 😉 Hey, you can always eat leftovers for a week 🙂

8. zestybeandog April 3, 2012 at 04:12 #

I feel like I could literally live off salads like this! So fresh and tasty 🙂

• Chica Andaluza April 3, 2012 at 12:35 #

They are lovely aren´t they – but they fill you up too…

9. ceciliag April 3, 2012 at 04:20 #

So simple and so tasty and so GOOD. you are a very lucky girl having all that seafood! Did the fish man cometh!?.. c

• Chica Andaluza April 3, 2012 at 12:36 #

The fish man seems to have disappeared the last few weeks, but we now have a little fishmonger in the local village!

10. Karista April 3, 2012 at 04:42 #

How beautiful! One of my favorite things to eat, seafood. And in such a lush salad makes it even better. Have a lovely week Chica 🙂

• Chica Andaluza April 3, 2012 at 12:36 #

Thank you, glad you liked it! Have a wonderful week too 🙂

11. cookinginsens April 3, 2012 at 06:02 #

So fresh, So pretty!

• Chica Andaluza April 3, 2012 at 12:39 #

When something looks this vibrant, you know it´s doing you some good!

12. Tandy April 3, 2012 at 09:10 #

without the onions for me please! Looks yum 🙂

13. thecompletecookbook April 3, 2012 at 09:14 #

Oh la la – my taste buds are dancing about very excitedly at the prospect of enjoying this magnificent salad! DELICIOUS!

14. Jane's sew & tell April 3, 2012 at 09:21 #

Sounds fabulous and summery. Sitting in cold East Anglia I feel quite jealous!

• Chica Andaluza April 3, 2012 at 12:41 #

It is very summery, although the weather here has turned decidedly wintery and grey today 😦 Thanks for visiting and commenting..am off to look at yours now!

15. TheDorsetFinca April 3, 2012 at 12:42 #

Mmmmm seafood! Honestly I could eat it all day long… x

• Chica Andaluza April 3, 2012 at 13:10 #

We are lucky in that we live in the mountains but close to the sea, so good meat and good seafood/fish! Probably like you in Dorset…

16. Food,Photography & France April 3, 2012 at 13:51 #

Just delicious – sorry about not commenting earlier but my email is deleting mail before I see it arrive!

• Chica Andaluza April 3, 2012 at 14:23 #

Don´t worry Roger – no obligation to comment, but it´s lovely when you do!

17. gardenfreshtomatoes April 3, 2012 at 14:38 #

Oh, wow wow wow…Does that ever scream Warm Weather! I can not WAIT until it’s warm enough for things like this on a daily basis around here!
    I love your dressing – the lemon must really make the flavors pop…

• Chica Andaluza April 3, 2012 at 19:38 #

We´re lucky to have our own lemons and they are super “lemony”, which is why I added a little sugar to the dressing. Very tasty indeed!

18. spree April 3, 2012 at 14:53 #

Wowza! That’s a beautiful beautiful salad! I’d make a light supper of it, and then pile another right on top! Does that ever speak summer sun and freshly delicious to me! I could make such a pig of myself! Absolutely gorgeous Tanya!

• Chica Andaluza April 3, 2012 at 19:38 #

We´ve just had our first really dull and damp weather for ages and I think it made me yearn for summer!

• spree April 3, 2012 at 19:42 #

We’ve had a Record-Breaking month of rain – March – and I think your gorgeous seafood salad could trick me into thinking (while my mouth is still full) that summer isn’t far away!

19. TBM April 3, 2012 at 15:53 #

Salad and crusty bread…I’m sold. And I’ll add a nice cold beer.

20. promenadeplantings April 3, 2012 at 16:34 #

A fabulous salad, and yes please to an extra portion. I know I will try and make something similar at home this summer. Yumlicious!

• Chica Andaluza April 3, 2012 at 19:40 #

It would be wonderful with some seafood from the fishing huts and veggies from your garden!

• promenadeplantings April 3, 2012 at 22:17 #

That’s what I was thinking too 🙂 Ahh the taste of summer is definitely fresh tomatoes and cucumbers. Bliss!

21. Michi April 3, 2012 at 17:45 #

This looks so yummy and refreshing! You’re like a bottomless pit of wonderful recipes, I don’t know how you do it. 😀

22. Bluejellybeans April 3, 2012 at 23:21 #

Rico rico!!
    Uno de mis platos favoritos. De hecho cuando estaba embrazada de Javier (10 años ahora) este fue mi antojo: estuve todo el verano comiendo salpicón de marisco 😉

• Chica Andaluza April 4, 2012 at 08:52 #

Por lo menos eran antojos para algo saludable! Es uno de nuestros platos favoritos también…

23. bitsandbreadcrumbs April 3, 2012 at 23:35 #

Beautiful, beautiful colors and I really am salivating just looking at this dish and all that lovely seafood. Honestly, these shots look like paintings!

24. rsmacaalay April 4, 2012 at 07:54 #

Another dish for me! I havent tried something like this yet but surely it will be my fave

• Chica Andaluza April 4, 2012 at 08:54 #

If you like seafood, which I think you do, you´ll enjoy this one!

25. peasepudding April 4, 2012 at 08:26 #

I could live on this fresh tasty food, your getting my tastebuds inspired for the long weekend

• Chica Andaluza April 4, 2012 at 08:55 #

I guess you´ve still got warmish weather there too!

26. Karen April 4, 2012 at 12:32 #

What a wonderful photo. This is one of my husband’s favorite meals. It’s a tasty, healthy and beautiful meal.

27. Charles April 4, 2012 at 23:20 #

Ah, this is my kind of salad – looks delicious. I thought the shrimps were pieces of feta at first then I took a closer look. I can imagine the wonderful flavours – my wife would adore this too – I might surprise her with this on the weekend if I can find some nice seafood! I must say, personally I love the “harshness” of onion, so no soaking for me, but I know it’s not to everyone’s taste – good tip 🙂

28. Tammy April 8, 2012 at 17:19 #

I love the look of this salad – so fresh and flavorful! The colors are gorgeous.

• Chica Andaluza April 8, 2012 at 19:50 #

That´s exactly how this salad is – glad you liked the look of it!