Going to the Wedding Dress 1

14 Apr

Sewing Alert –click away now if you´d rather read a recipe. Why not try this one for a cold, rainy Saturday?!

So, the Vintage style dress is finished and I have to say I am really very pleased with the way it has turned out.

The pattern is Vogue V8789, view A.

Wish I had a waist like that!

I have also made a silk shawl with a hand rolled hem to go with it, to cover up my shoulders.

I tried out a few new techniques (well, new to me). A horsehair hem, hand stitched to finish it off. This adds a little body to the hem. I had bought a net petticoat to wear underneath but when it arrived I looked like a giant meringue so back it went into the wardrobe.

I sewed a satin bias binding in a contrast colour to the lining.

I hand stitched the bodice lining to the bodice. I really enjoy sewing by hand.

A grosgrain waist stay (I think that is what it is called) was hand stitched around the inside and this really adds shape to the waist when it is worn.

But…the weather has turned cold and damp. The wedding is next Saturday so I have started work on the other Vintage style dress I had planned to make as it has sleeves. It´s the Butterick 5556…hopefully I´ll have it finished this week and then depending on the weather I can decide which one I´ll wear.

Meanwhile, the dogs snooze in the not so sunny sun room while the rain comes down, and I´ll get on with my sewing.

Yes, that is a jamon bone on the sofa which they had clearly dragged in out of the rain and which I only noticed when I downloaded the photo! Naughty pups...

And now, if you enjoyed seeing my Going to the Wedding Dress, why not check out my blogging pal Evie´s Actual Wedding Dress.  What a very talented and beautiful bride!

72 Responses to “Going to the Wedding Dress 1”

1. themateriallady April 14, 2012 at 11:37 #

Your dress is lovely – fabulous colours. The braid in the hem should give it just enough ‘lift’ without the enormous effect the petticoat would bring. I hope you get the other dress finished (show pictures!) so you have a choice – but this one would look wonderful in the sunshine.
    Have a fun day!

• Chica Andaluza April 14, 2012 at 12:42 #

Thank you – means a lot from a professional like you! I am learning more with each piece I make, and having fun along the way. The colours are definitely more suited to a sunny day, but progress is going well on the other dress, so fingers crossed.

• themateriallady April 14, 2012 at 21:51 #

Words of wisdom from my old tutor – When you are in a hurry SLOW DOWN! You are less likely to make a mistake and need to re do a task which not only takes more time it almost always shows (even if you are the only one aware of it!) I still use this lesson when things get a bit tough.
        Enjoy making the second dress – it will be well worth it if you get another dress as nice as the first.

• Chica Andaluza April 15, 2012 at 10:03 #

I so agree with this. Yesterday I tackled the stand up collar of the second dress, something I have never done before. The instructions could well have been written in Chinese to start with and I was tempted to just do it “my way” but I left well alone, went back to it (a few times) and in the end it all came together how it should and I´m really pleased with the collar now.

2. TBM April 14, 2012 at 11:42 #

I love the dress. Good luck making an alternate for bad weather. My dog loves to sleep on the couch like that…why do they do that?

• Chica Andaluza April 14, 2012 at 12:43 #

Thanks TBM! I think the dogs sleep like that to be “above” us and to remind us exactly where our place is in the pack order 😉

• TBM April 14, 2012 at 15:38 #

I’m surprised they even let us on the couch then.

• Chica Andaluza April 14, 2012 at 16:14 #

They are superior, so it makes them feel important!

3. Ria April 14, 2012 at 12:42 #

Love the dress, the material is gorgeous. Sure you couldn’t work the meringue petticoat?! x

• Chica Andaluza April 14, 2012 at 12:47 #

Not unless I was prepared to sit alone on a bench at the church and have a table to myself at the meal…no room for anyone to get near me 😉 I will find a use for it though!

4. Sawsan@ Chef in disguise April 14, 2012 at 13:21 #

Beautiful Tanya
    I just love your attention to details. My mum always says,the hems and the finishing of a dress tell of the talent of the person who sews it

• Chica Andaluza April 14, 2012 at 16:21 #

Your mum is right I think – the little details really do seem to add a “haute couture” finish!

5. gardenfreshtomatoes April 14, 2012 at 13:22 #

That turned out beautifully! The fabric is perfect for the pattern.
    (As nasty as the ham bone might be, it’s still better than a half-naked, very much alive baby rabbit. Glad I caught that one before it got all the way in the house!)

• Chica Andaluza April 14, 2012 at 16:23 #

Thank you so much! I fell in love with that fabric when I saw it and it´s so easy to work with. Oh dear….half naked baby rabbits. I guess it was a thank you gift for you wasn´t it?!

6. rutheh April 14, 2012 at 14:12 #

What details and good explanations. Unused to see and enjoyed reading your post very much. The ensemble is perfect. Popped over and read the wedding dress post as well. A nice change up and unexpected read this morning. Well done!

• Chica Andaluza April 14, 2012 at 16:24 #

Thank you so much! Sometimes it´s good to read about something different from our usual fare…and this was such fun to do!

7. Mad Dog April 14, 2012 at 14:13 #

Excellent work and what naughty dogs!

• Chica Andaluza April 14, 2012 at 16:24 #

They do have their naughty moments…but I think they were just trying to keep it out of the rain 😉

• Mad Dog April 14, 2012 at 22:35 #

Bless!

8. promenadeplantings April 14, 2012 at 14:42 #

The dress is stunning, and I love the scarf you made to go with it too (I LOVE scarves!!) and your handstiching is just WOW. Oh and I’ll have some soup too on a rather cold, damp sort of snowy day in the Alps 🙂

• Chica Andaluza April 14, 2012 at 16:25 #

Thank yuo so much Claire – another scarf fan! I have loads, they can really jazz up something ordinary.

• promenadeplantings April 14, 2012 at 16:34 #

I’ve lost count of how many I have…….. but I always seem to manage to see just another that I MUST have. But I should take a leaf out of your book and make some!!

9. Simply Tia April 14, 2012 at 15:28 #

I love this dress! Nicely done Tanya. I believe you’ll look very gorgeous in it!

• Chica Andaluza April 14, 2012 at 16:25 #

Thank you Tia – it does seem to flatter even the “fuller figure” (that´s me)!

10. chefconnie April 14, 2012 at 16:06 #

What a beautiful dress. Is that a new vogue pattern or an old one? It looks very retro.

• Chica Andaluza April 14, 2012 at 16:28 #

It´s a pattern you can buy now but I think it´s a reproduction of an old one. Which means they make it in sizes for women like me (i.e. bigger) and not just the smaller sizes the real vintage patterns typically come in. Thanks for your kind words!

11. ChgoJohn April 14, 2012 at 16:13 #

That dress, the shawl … you’re going to turn heads! Be careful, Tanya. You don’t want to outshine the bride. 🙂

• Chica Andaluza April 14, 2012 at 16:29 #

Ah you old smoothie you! The bride is in her late twenties with long dark hair and a figure like a movie star….I think she can hold her own! And she also has an identical twin sister…the boys won´t know where to look 😉

12. ceciliag April 14, 2012 at 16:38 #

What gorgeous fabric and i am sure that when you put that dress on and drape that shawl just so, you will feel and look wonderful, add a glass of bubbly and it will be perfect. gosh you are clever. i love that fabric too, i bet florence has nicked off with the offcuts! Wait shoes! where are the shoes? c

• Chica Andaluza April 15, 2012 at 09:55 #

You´re so right Celi – the offcuts are ear marked for Florence. I have some lovely black suede shoes but really want some brown ones so am planning a little day out in the big city of Malaga next week to see what I can find!

13. Karen April 14, 2012 at 16:52 #

The dress turned out beautiful. You are so clever to be making one with sleeves just in case the weather is cool. I love all your attention to detail.

• Chica Andaluza April 15, 2012 at 10:00 #

Thanks Karen, I seem to have turned a corner in my dressmaking, or maybe it´s because they are just two great patterns and I have bought lovely material especially to make them up…but this has all been great fun to do.

14. Just A Smidgen April 14, 2012 at 17:22 #

Your dress is sooo pretty!! I can’t wait to see you in it!!

15. deairby April 14, 2012 at 17:57 #

great job, have fun

16. niasunset April 15, 2012 at 01:47 #

Oh dear Chica, this is so beautiful… you are doing great. The colours are like a sunshine… I loved it so much, Good Luck, Thank you, with my love, nia

• Chica Andaluza April 15, 2012 at 10:04 #

Thanks Nia – I think that is what attracted me to the fabric from the start. I love the colour orange, it´s so happy and full of energy and that´s how this dress makes me feel!

17. Michelle April 15, 2012 at 03:35 #

Count me as impressed!

18. hotlyspiced April 15, 2012 at 05:02 #

You are very talented with your sewing. I love the pattern and the fabric. Would you mind whipping one up for me as well? My mother was an excellent sewer and was always up late at night with her Bernina. Unfortunately I didnt’ get the sewing gene. Utterly clueless and I so admire people who can create something from a length of fabric. I do hope the weather changes and you can wear your new dress xx

• Chica Andaluza April 15, 2012 at 10:08 #

Thank you so much. I am pretty much self taught as no one in my family sewed. Actually, my mother claims to have made her own wedding dress, but I think she had a lot of help and never made anything else after that!

19. Calico Stretch April 15, 2012 at 06:12 #

This is very very pretty and I love all the hand stitching – very impressive. Fingers crossed the weather makes up its mind :o)

• Chica Andaluza April 15, 2012 at 10:08 #

Thank you, I love hand stitching, it´s very restful. The second dress is almost half done, so I should have choices should the weather decide to stay colder!

20. delicio8 April 15, 2012 at 06:22 #

You are so talented! I wish I could sew but I haven’t a clue. Oh wait, I did sew some jackets for my dogs using a pattern from their existing jackets…they turned out alright. But an entire dress? You did such a great job!

• Chica Andaluza April 15, 2012 at 10:10 #

Love the idea of the dog jackets! If you can do that, I am sure you could do something bigger…obviously you´d just need more fabric!

• delicio8 April 15, 2012 at 19:30 #

True, but dogs aren’t very picky about the details!

21. island traveler April 15, 2012 at 07:49 #

Impressive workmanship. Beautifully made. It is one head-turner of a dress during the wedding. As for the view outside the window…just wonderful. Take care…

• Chica Andaluza April 15, 2012 at 10:11 #

Ah thank you so much. The view outside was a bit sad, but even when it rains, the mountains behind my house inspire me…

22. chaiselongue1 April 15, 2012 at 11:07 #

What a lot of work but it’s really worth it – the dress is lovely and so is the shawl! Nice to have something like this to do on a rainy day too.

• Chica Andaluza April 16, 2012 at 10:29 #

Thanks Teleri – it was such a fun project to do and am now enjoying getting stuck into the second dress. As you say, great to do on a rainy day!

23. PendleStitches April 15, 2012 at 20:18 #

This dress is stunning. I love the fabric. I think you’ve done an amazing job with the handsewing and couture touches. Don’t be shy! Please take a picture of you in it.
    And thank you for the kind words about my wedding dress…I still see the flaws and things I would have done differently. I did have a meringue petticoat…it was a nightmare but I claimed brides rights and a big chair!

• Chica Andaluza April 16, 2012 at 10:33 #

Thank you Evie for your lovely words – your praise means a lot as I know you are so much more experienced than I am. Am revisiting the petticoat as the second dress has hugely full skirt and needs a little “oomph”. I may be able to take a layer or two out. Otherwise I shall have to pretend I am someone terribly important and sit on a big chair too! Your dress looked wonderful and I am sure would not have had the same impact without the “meringue” 🙂

• PendleStitches April 16, 2012 at 11:06 #

You’re too kind! I think if you can take a layer or two out it will give you the lift without too much poof. But if not, go with it. You’ll be amazed at the reaction a dress like that gets. All positive.

• Chica Andaluza April 16, 2012 at 11:21 #

Will let you know how it goes. Have just taken another look at the petticoat and think I can safely take a layer out without doing too much damage!

24. thecompletecookbook April 16, 2012 at 10:11 #

You are so clever Tanya and I LOVE both dress patterns. You put my straight line sewing capabilities to shame. Cannot wait to see the other dress. You can see the love and pride in your sewing – just too gorgeous!
    Love the pups snoozing – and hey mom, they have to have something to snack on when it gets cold.
    PS. The link did not want to work for your friend Evie’s blog.

• Chica Andaluza April 16, 2012 at 11:23 #

Thanks so much Mandy. Will have to check out that link….and as for those cheeky pups, you´re right they always need snacks!

25. spree April 16, 2012 at 17:02 #

You know don’t you that it’s not seemly to outshine the bride? 😉 You’re running the risk here you know! Your dress is Wonderful, Tanya!!! Can’t wait now to see the Butterick! (When I used to sew dresses, I loved their patterns.) We had a lovely sunny weekend here, but again the rain is falling and promises to do the same all week. Where in this world is the sun shining!? Happy needling Tanya! xoxo

• Chica Andaluza April 16, 2012 at 17:37 #

Thank you Spree – I was so happy with this dress (I think the colours made me happy sewing it!) but the bride is a beautiful young woman and a lovely person so I know she will be the belle of the ball…and quite rightly! Thank you though for your lovely words 🙂 The sun has made a brief appearance here today but the wind is blowing hard…when the dark clouds come over they are being chased by the wind and I have been watching their shadows on the mountain for most of the day!

• spree April 16, 2012 at 17:41 #

ahhh, cloud-shadow watching, a lovely pastime!!! been a cloud-watcher all my life. used to lie on the grass as a girl mesmerized, happy for what passed as hours. xo

26. bitsandbreadcrumbs April 16, 2012 at 23:58 #

Late to this wedding….but what a fantastic looking dress and the fabric is gorgeous! Of course I love the orange shawl, too. What a talented seamstress you are, Tanya!

• Chica Andaluza April 17, 2012 at 07:55 #

Thank you, and we´ve still got a few days until the actual wedding – I have nearly finished the 2nd dress, so may manage to sneak a post in on that before the big day! Thanks for your lovely words 🙂

27. Bluejellybeans April 17, 2012 at 11:36 #

¡Qué bonito Tanya!
    Me encanta la tela y el corte es genial. El que tienes planeado hacer con mangas es hermoso también. Te mando mis medidas para que me hagas uno en azul, please… 90 – 60 -90… jejejeje I wish!!
    Enhorabuena, eres una artista!

• Chica Andaluza April 17, 2012 at 18:15 #

Gracias Giovanna! Empecé hacer ropa para mí porque no soy de una medida 90-60-90!

28. mcfdekker April 17, 2012 at 16:01 #

I arrive a bit late to the party but WOW! Really nice dress!! I love your fabric. And all those new techniques 😉

• Chica Andaluza April 17, 2012 at 18:18 #

Thank you so much – menas a lot coming from a pro like you!

29. Piglet in Portugal April 17, 2012 at 22:45 #

I love the autumn colours. They are my favourite! I have not made anything for years. You’ve inspired me 🙂

• Chica Andaluza April 18, 2012 at 08:40 #

Thank you – do let us know if you make something, would love to see it!

30. Charles April 18, 2012 at 09:05 #

You absolutely should be really pleased – I know nothing about dress-making or sewing but it looks like a great job there!

• Chica Andaluza April 18, 2012 at 10:20 #

Thanks Charles – now just waiting for the sun to reappear!

1. Singer Sewing Machines | Going to the Wedding Dress 1 « Chica Andaluza - April 14, 2012

[…] original post here: Going to the Wedding Dress 1 « Chica Andaluza Filed Under: How To Sew A Rolled […]

2. Sewing Sunday – Fifties Franken Frock | Chica Andaluza - July 7, 2013

[…] bit of a Frankenstein, in that it has been made up from parts of different patterns. The top of my Vogue Going to the Wedding Dress and the skirt (with some added pleats) and pockets of my recently made […]