Curried Meatballs

13 Apr

A recent tidy up of my cookery books turned up two Indian books by Anjum Anand which I had hardly read.  Time to put that right I thought, and next thing I was in the butcher´s shop ordering pork mince.

Of course, pork would not typically be a meat used in most Indian curries for religious reasons, but this would be great with any other meat. For a fantastic recipe using minced beef, check out Frugal´s gorgeous Beef Kofta Curry recipe.

As ever, I had to make a few small changes, but not too many. I had no fresh coriander so substituted dried, ground coriander and the same went for fresh ginger. We can get it here, I just didn´t have any to hand and when the craving for curry strikes, you have to go with it!

This recipe is adapted from Indian Food Made Easy.

For the meatballs

• 300g lamb mince (I used pork)
  • 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh coriander leaves and stalks (I used 1 teaspoon of dried coriander)
  • ¾ tsp garam masala
  • 1 tsp finely chopped ginger (I used ¼ teaspoon of dried)
  • 3 cloves of crushed garlic
  • 1 large egg
  • Salt to taste

For the Curry Sauce

• 1 medium onion finely chopped
  • Vegetable oil for frying
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1 small shard of cinnamon
  • 2 ½ medium tomatoes (puréed) – I used 1 ½ cups of my conserva from last summer
  • 800ml water (I used about 300ml)
  • ½ tsp ground turmeric
  • ¼ – ¾ teaspoon of chili powder (to taste)
  • 2 tsp coriander powder
  • 1 tsp garam masala
  • Salt to taste
  • Chopped coriander

Mix all the ingredients for the meatballs together plus 3 tbs of the onion you have chopped for the sauce.

Heat the oil in a deep pan, add the bay leaves, cinnamon and remaining onion and fry until the onion is golden brown.

Add the tomatoes, ginger and garlic and cook gently for about 8 mins then add 200ml of water and cook until thickened.  Add the spices and salt and any remaining water (I didn´t add much as I continued cooking with a lid on my pan) and simmer. Meanwhile roll the meat into walnut sized balls and drop them into the sauce.

Cover and simmer, turning the meatballs gently half way through, for about 20 minutes. Add the coriander and serve with rice, naan bread, popadums…however you like.

We ate ours with my Sort of Saag Aloo made with the first of our spinach which is now ready to eat.

…and a cool and creamy raita (I´ll give you that easy recipe another time)…

This was a warm but not too hot curry with the lovely flavours of cinnamon and ginger, definitely one to make again.

67 Responses to “Curried Meatballs”

1. Food,Photography & France April 13, 2012 at 09:52 #

Sounds like a very good curry – nice recipe.

• Chica Andaluza April 13, 2012 at 10:59 #

Thanks Roger. When I first got the books I wasn´t overwhelmed but now I´m giving them a second chance I realise that her recipes are quick and practical.

2. chaiselongue1 April 13, 2012 at 09:53 #

Just the way I like curries, spicy but not too hot. And how wonderful to be eating your own spinach already!

• Chica Andaluza April 13, 2012 at 10:58 #

I used to eat “blow your head off” curries, now I have learned to appreciate flavours too! The spinach is lovely – very tender and the chard is being picked too. We´re really enjoying them!

3. Tandy April 13, 2012 at 10:00 #

I am drooling! they look so good 🙂

• Chica Andaluza April 13, 2012 at 10:57 #

They really were, and even Big Man loved them and he´s not a curry monster like me!

4. Charles April 13, 2012 at 10:24 #

I thought it was beef that wasn’t used in Indian cookery for religious reasons? Well, I guess it depends on the region you’re in I guess as some areas are predominantly one religion while other areas something else.

I love pork meatballs though – they seem so much lighter than beef ones and you can’t beat a lovely tomato-based curry sauce, with plenty of coriander! Yummy 🙂

• Chica Andaluza April 13, 2012 at 10:56 #

You´re right – pork and beef and excluded in different areas depending if they are Hindu or Muslim. The meat balls were really light and as they were braised in the sauce and not fried or baked first, they stayed that way!

5. themateriallady April 13, 2012 at 10:32 #

Curry AND meatballs. Whats not to like? I may well try this – although living near the UK ‘Balti Triangle’ I tend to buy take outs!

• Chica Andaluza April 13, 2012 at 10:57 #

When I lived in Tooting, South West London, I never needed to make curry either 😉

6. kalamitykelli April 13, 2012 at 10:36 #

All looks delicious! I will have to share the recipe with my daughter who eats more Indian food than anyone I know!

• Chica Andaluza April 13, 2012 at 10:56 #

So would I, given the chance!

• kalamitykelli April 13, 2012 at 11:07 #

Very good! Your wittiness is so – witty! I love it. I will share your site with her………as soon as she gets out of labor. She will love many of your recipes.

7. TBM April 13, 2012 at 11:08 #

Yum…I may have to wander down to Warwick Arms today for their Indian buffet. Your meal looks delicious.

• Chica Andaluza April 13, 2012 at 11:17 #

That´s not fair….now I´m jealous 😦 Have a great weekend!

• TBM April 13, 2012 at 11:19 #

Come on over! I always like to have good company. Or we could do a house swap…you like dogs and cats right? 🙂

• Chica Andaluza April 13, 2012 at 11:38 #

Ah thanks…wouldn´t that be fun! And yes, I love cats & dogs 🙂

8. Val April 13, 2012 at 12:24 #

I like the look of this, and the Saag Aloo too! Have to give it a try at the weekend!

• Chica Andaluza April 13, 2012 at 13:13 #

Thanks Val – I like these dishes because they´re not too fiddly and fairly quick to prepare. Also, the spices are pretty easy to get hold of.

9. gardenfreshtomatoes April 13, 2012 at 12:31 #

That sounds so good…
    I wish we had a ‘tradition’ of Indian food here in the US, like you did back in London. I seldom find a place where I can try it around here…

• Chica Andaluza April 13, 2012 at 13:14 #

I know what you mean, it´s the same in Spain. Gradually people are getting to know Indian food in the bigger towns, but it´s still not very common 😦 Hey ho, I make it home instead!

10. PendleStitches April 13, 2012 at 12:54 #

I have that book and haven’t cooked from it for ages. I think it’s time I dusted it down too as we love a good curry.

• Chica Andaluza April 13, 2012 at 13:28 #

I´m only just getting into it. I think I bought it once at the airport on the way back from the UK as I had a delay (bad news, I always spend money in the shops there!) and then put it away when I got home and forgot about it! There are some nice recipes in there.

• PendleStitches April 15, 2012 at 20:14 #

I have made some from it but its been a while. Thanks for reminding me how lovely it is.

• Chica Andaluza April 16, 2012 at 10:31 #

You´re welcome!

11. promenadeplantings April 13, 2012 at 13:10 #

Ahhhh, I’m imagining the armoas! And yes to when the need for a curry hits you just have to roll with it. I’ve got the same book and I keep meaning to try her makerel curry, something new to try at home 🙂

• Chica Andaluza April 13, 2012 at 13:29 #

Ooh – that rings a bell, will have to go and look that one up!

12. thecompletecookbook April 13, 2012 at 13:23 #

Curried meatballs – what a great idea!

13. hotlyspiced April 13, 2012 at 14:56 #

The flavours in those meatballs must be amazing. I would love to try these. They look incredibly delicious xx

14. JamieAnne April 13, 2012 at 14:56 #

These look great!!!!!

• Chica Andaluza April 13, 2012 at 15:51 #

Thanks JamieAnne – hope you and yours are all well!

15. ChgoJohn April 13, 2012 at 16:15 #

I’ve eaten at Indian restaurants and the food wasn’t nearly as appealing as yours here, Tanya. Everything looks delicious! I’ve a couple friends who, like me, really enjoy a good curry. Lucky for us, there are a number of the city’s best Indian restaurants literally a few blocks from here. You’ve given me “the bug.” We need to get together and go out for a curry. Thanks for the recipe and inspiration! 🙂

• Chica Andaluza April 13, 2012 at 16:50 #

Thank you John – am very envious (in a nice way) that you can go out with some pals to a good Indian restaurant nearby. Sigh! Will have to wait until my next get together with my “chicks” in London!

• Ria April 13, 2012 at 17:07 #

This chick could murder your curry right now! x

• Chica Andaluza April 13, 2012 at 17:27 #

You hungry hon?!

16. Karista April 13, 2012 at 17:03 #

What a fun idea! We love meatballs, but curried meatballs sound even better. Love this recipe Chica. Thanks for sharing and have a fabulous weekend!

• Chica Andaluza April 13, 2012 at 17:27 #

Have to say it´s the first time I have eaten curried meatballs – but then I suppose I eat kebabs and kofta, so same principle! Have a great weekend too 🙂

17. Mad Dog April 13, 2012 at 18:47 #

Excellent idea using pork and great recipe 😉

• Chica Andaluza April 13, 2012 at 19:11 #

Thanks MD – if I go to the local butchers they usually only have pork! The plus though is that you buy your meat then they mince your portion for you…much nicer!

18. Bluejellybeans April 13, 2012 at 18:55 #

¡Muy rico Tanya!
    A mi megusta mucho la comida India, pero la verdad es que nunca (o casi nunca) me he puesto a intentarlo.
    Buen trabajo 🙂

• Chica Andaluza April 13, 2012 at 19:35 #

Creo que aquí en España Giovanna, todavía no hay mucho costumbre de comer la comida India (y menos de cocinarla) pero ¡poquito a poco!

19. Purely.. Kay April 13, 2012 at 22:20 #

I am a HUGE meatball lover. Their relatively easy to make and so much fun to eat. Love this recipe.. your meatballs came out looking very delicious

• Chica Andaluza April 14, 2012 at 10:30 #

Thanks Kay – I can highly recommend the flavours, very good indeed!

20. dayphoto April 13, 2012 at 22:39 #

We have only one family of Indians from India here so I have never had the opportunity to try a really GOOD curry. I know people who SAY they make an excellent curry, but that is simply a matter of taste. 🙂

Thank you for this lovely recipe….I plan on making it this weekend.

Linda

• Chica Andaluza April 14, 2012 at 10:30 #

The thing I like about this book (now that I have got into it!) it that the author is Indian and these are everyday recipes that she says people would use at home…so they are pretty straightforward and don´t involve hours of preparation. Hope you enjoy it!

21. ceciliag April 13, 2012 at 23:25 #

maybe I should go and show this recipe to Our John, it is 4.39 and his turn to cook and he is pretending he has forgotton, but I have NOT forgotton and I am starving!! We have lamb mince in the freezer.. is it too late?.. c

• Chica Andaluza April 14, 2012 at 10:31 #

Did he cook in the end?! I am sure it wasn´t too late to get that lamb out of the freezer 😉

22. Just A Smidgen April 14, 2012 at 05:24 #

With all of this unstable weather and now snow.. a curry would be just the ticket right about now. Thanks so much for sharing.. now if only you could share some of that spinach…:)

• Chica Andaluza April 14, 2012 at 10:32 #

It´s the same here – no snow though – but April showers and heavy rains make us want to eat warming food. Wish I could send you a Spinach Red Cross Parcel!

23. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide April 14, 2012 at 20:29 #

This is perfect. Katherine’s been wanting lamb meatballs and we have ground lamb. Looks awesome!

• Chica Andaluza April 15, 2012 at 10:01 #

Ah, you can make them for her, hope you like them 🙂

24. sportsglutton April 14, 2012 at 21:14 #

Curry meatballs? Oh yes this is a perfect way to mix things up. I’m going to have to incorporate this idea into future ideas.

25. Calico Stretch April 15, 2012 at 06:16 #

I need to try this because I really enjoy curry flavours but my JJ is sceptical, darnit. This would be a gentle intro for him and the kids I think. Besides, who doesn’t like meatballs? I mean really?

• Chica Andaluza April 15, 2012 at 10:09 #

This would be a good one, maybe reduce the ginger because it´s quite warming and use a sweet pimentón if you don´t want to use chili. Big Man is not really a curry fan either and he ate two portions of this!

26. rsmacaalay April 15, 2012 at 10:41 #

Interesting, I never made curries with meatballs. This looks good so I think tomorrow I would be the trying this out

• Chica Andaluza April 15, 2012 at 10:54 #

Do hope you enjoy it – it was a first for me too!

27. Michi April 15, 2012 at 17:59 #

I love Indian food, and I love “carne en salsa”-type dishes. The picture of the raita and the photo of your meal look especially mouth-watering. I’m bookmarking this post! (P.S. Remind me to marry a chef in my next life so I can eat as well as Big Man does!!)

• Chica Andaluza April 16, 2012 at 10:30 #

Thanks so much Michi – this is a good one to make here as all the ingredients are easily available. Don´t marry a chef – he´d never let you in the kitchen and then you´d only argue…. 😉

28. bitsandbreadcrumbs April 17, 2012 at 00:04 #

Your curried meatballs look right up my tastebud alley and I’m gonna have to give these a try. I love the looks of the sort of saag aloo and raita, too. Bookmarked!

• Chica Andaluza April 17, 2012 at 07:57 #

Am gradually introducing more curry recipes at home to satisfy my cravings and to introduce Big Man and this one went down very well indeed!

29. mrszeg April 19, 2012 at 00:23 #

This looks wonderful! Definitely going to try it! I’m going to use the lamb though.

• Chica Andaluza April 19, 2012 at 08:54 #

I think it would taste amazing with lamb!

• mrszeg April 20, 2012 at 13:03 #

I’ll let you know!

30. Debby Aripianusari April 23, 2016 at 04:00 #

wahh, i want to try a make for the home 😀