9 May

This recipe of sautéed (or stir fried as very little oil is used) vegetables is fantastic as it can be used as a vegetable dish, a starter, or served with fried or poached eggs as a light lunch or supper. Add jamon or bacon for non vegetarians (as I did) and it becomes more filling or stir it into scrambled eggs.  See? Lots of options!

Ingredients

• About 24 thin spears of asparagus, finely chopped (reserve spears)
  • ½ cup of broad beans (no need to skin)
  • 2 or 3 large oyster mushrooms cut into thin strips
  • About 6-8 mushrooms and stalks finely sliced
  • 2 cloves of crushed garlic
  • 4 slices of jamon or bacon finely chopped (optional)
  • Olive oil

Start by simmering the asparagus (not the tips) and broad beans for 3-4 minutes in boiling water. Lift them out with a slotted spoon and then cook the tips of the spears for a minute or two until tender, reserving them separately. The stock is good for using as a soup base or for cooking rice.

In a frying pan warm a little oil and gently cook the garlic until it is soft but not brown. Add the mushrooms and stir to coat in oil then cover and cook gently until the mushrooms are soft and giving off a little liquid.

Add the asparagus tips and broad beans, stir and cover and cook for a further 5 minutes. If you like your vegetables very tender, add half a cup of water and cook until it has evaporated. If using bacon or jamon, add, turn the heat up and fry until slightly crispy. Stir in the asparagus tips, season and serve.

Fried for Big Man…I prefer poached…

This would also be lovely used in a risotto or stirred into pasta….or add cream and mix with gnocchi.

56 Responses to “Salteado de Espárragos, Habas y Setas – Sautéed Asparagus, Broad Beans and Mushrooms”

1. Calico Stretch May 9, 2012 at 10:43 #

Ooo this looks delicious – green goodness for sure so its a pity the only asparagus and broad beans you can get on this side of the world are tinned or frozen. Not quite right for this recipe I suspect. No problem, I’ll wait a few months and we’ll be back

• Chica Andaluza May 9, 2012 at 11:31 #

I have made this with frozen asparagus – as long as you fry off all the water, it´s actually ok…but nicer with fresh when you can get it!

2. PendleStitches May 9, 2012 at 10:46 #

One word…Yumsk!

3. Food,Photography & France May 9, 2012 at 12:02 #

That’s a dish filled with favourite ingredients. Certainly would be good with eggs scrambled through it like a piperade verte:)

• Chica Andaluza May 9, 2012 at 12:08 #

Had never heard of a piperade verte – that´s what I´ll call it when I serve it with scrambled eggs, sounds so much nicer!

4. Tandy May 9, 2012 at 13:08 #

What a great side dish 🙂

5. gardenfreshtomatoes May 9, 2012 at 13:50 #

When the asparagus is finished, try it with garlic scapes…Yum, in all its versions!

6. chaiselongue1 May 9, 2012 at 13:58 #

Delicious! There’s so much asparagus around at the moment, to go with the broad beans. This would be great with scrambled eggs too – I’d prefer that to fried or poached.

7. ChgoJohn May 9, 2012 at 14:29 #

This looks delicious, Tanya, but what’s this about the jambon/bacon being optional? You’re kidding right? Surely your meant that the mushrooms, asparagus, and broad beans, even the eggs, were all optional but the pork is a must. 🙂

• Mad Dog May 9, 2012 at 14:46 #

How funny, I was going to say the same thing! You’ll have the Spanish Inquisition after you Tanya 😉
      It sounds like an excellent dish, I love all the ingredients!

• Chica Andaluza May 9, 2012 at 15:23 #

Yes, by removing the pork it becomes Un Spanish! I have had veggie friends ask for what is available in restaurants and they have been offered a tortilla of jamon or chicken soup as “it´s not meat”!!!

• Mad Dog May 9, 2012 at 15:57 #

I had lunch with a friend in Barcelona last week – when he mentioned to the waitress that he was vegetarian she pulled a face that suggested he was unclean or unwelcome! I laughed a lot and ordered meatballs 😉

• Chica Andaluza May 9, 2012 at 16:25 #

Yes, it´s true. I don´t know a single Spaniard who is either vegetarian or who has a food allergy. Not saying that food allergies aren´t real, they just seem to be ignored here! Actually, it´s rare to come across someone who refuses point blank to eat something, maybe it´s because there is so much sharing of platters here, people just pick out what they enjoy and leave the rest to the others. Who knows?!

• Mad Dog May 9, 2012 at 16:34 #

I think that under Franco a lot of people experienced so much hardship and poverty that meat became a luxury that you couldn’t turn down (not to mention pork and the Spanish Inquisition).

• Chica Andaluza May 9, 2012 at 16:37 #

I agree and that was instilled into their children and families. And yes, if you didn´t eat pork during the time of the Inquisition, your life expectancy was greatly reduced 😦

• Chica Andaluza May 9, 2012 at 15:22 #

You caught me out – try to embrace veggies and non pork eaters here too!

8. ceciliag May 9, 2012 at 15:23 #

Fabulous darling, I cannot wait until my garden starts producing, we have lots of lettuce and spinach! But no beans yet.. and now i see that i have missed out on reading the chick pea soup, this one I can make I think.. let me check!! c

• Chica Andaluza May 9, 2012 at 16:23 #

I think we´ve all had a confusing day of posting, commenting and missing posts and comments! No matter….we are all well and happy and that´s what counts 🙂

9. cookinginsens May 9, 2012 at 15:58 #

Wonderful veg!

10. annashortcakes May 9, 2012 at 16:02 #

Very nice!!! I can’t wait to try this!

11. zestybeandog May 9, 2012 at 16:17 #

I prefer poached as well! I really need to get
    Some of these beans!

• Chica Andaluza May 9, 2012 at 16:26 #

My favourite and it´s not a problem for me to cook both as there are just the two of us. Mind you, if I had another person wanting scrambled and another wanting boiled….maybe I´d have to find a middle ground for us all!

12. spree May 9, 2012 at 16:43 #

Simple, versatile and simply delicious! You’ve paired some of my favorite things here Tanya, and this is the sort of dish I can make in my temporary camp-out kitchen in the midst of a remodel! Thank you, love it!

• Chica Andaluza May 9, 2012 at 18:09 #

A lot of Spanish dishes are one pot or cooked on top of the stove as until recently most houses didn´t have ovens! Makes it easy to recreate them when you´re living “camp-out” style. Hope the work is going well!

13. bitsandbreadcrumbs May 9, 2012 at 17:05 #

Another great way to use broad beans, or any green bean, and I love that you accompanied it with an egg…I always forget about eggs for dinner. I can’t wait until my beans are ready to try out some of your ideas, Tanya. In the meantime, I have some leftover asparagus and potato salad in tarragon vinaigrette for tonight, and I’m thinking something eggy (maybe with bacon or ham) alongside would be really good. 🙂 Thanks for the inspiration!

• Chica Andaluza May 9, 2012 at 18:08 #

I think we use rather a lot of eggs here as we have so many from our hens – fortunately as they are naturally fed we don´t have any cholesterol problems! The asparagus and potato salad sounds wonderful 🙂

14. Sawsan@ Chef in disguise May 9, 2012 at 21:09 #

I just love all the possibilities!
    This is my kind of meal, I just love sauteed vegetables !

• Chica Andaluza May 9, 2012 at 21:28 #

You can take it in any direction depending on what you have available!

15. Karen May 9, 2012 at 23:42 #

This sounds like such a wonderful meal for lunch on the weekend.

16. promenadeplantings May 10, 2012 at 00:04 #

Ooooo great another broad bean recipe! I WILL have broad beans this year…. pleeeease !

• Chica Andaluza May 10, 2012 at 09:03 #

I hope so, if not will have to bring you a bag next time we´re over 😉

17. Charles May 10, 2012 at 00:17 #

This looks delish – I *love* asparagus! I’ve always eaten it whole, in spears… it’s only very recently that i’ve started chopping it up and playing about with it a bit more like this!

• Chica Andaluza May 10, 2012 at 09:05 #

Me too..it used to e so expensive and precious that I didn´t want to mix it up with anything else – now it seems to e so much more affordable (in season at least).

18. unwind cooking May 10, 2012 at 11:10 #

What a great idea for a brunch recipe!

19. Caroline May 10, 2012 at 18:54 #

Yummm looks delicious and so versatile! Love that you served it alongside fried eggs. Asparagus is one of my favorite veggies. 🙂

• Chica Andaluza May 10, 2012 at 21:20 #

Asparagus always has a slightly decadent and luxurious feel about it too 🙂

20. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide May 11, 2012 at 02:05 #

I’d eat that plate and go back for thirds!

21. Bluejellybeans May 11, 2012 at 09:52 #

Bueno, impresionante!! Esto tiene una una pinta buenísma y con los huevos fritos… yummy!

22. hotlyspiced May 11, 2012 at 12:51 #

What a fantastic looking dish. I love the combination of ingredients and I think this goes so well with the fried eggs. What a wonderful start to the day xx

23. rsmacaalay May 13, 2012 at 11:01 #

This looks so amazing, love the flavours in this plate

• Chica Andaluza May 13, 2012 at 20:38 #

Thank you – the best of the seasonal vegetables here right now!

24. Heather Purri de Youngblood June 23, 2012 at 14:08 #

Regarding the vegetarian vs. carnivore thing, I offer these pearls of wisdom.
    (Disclaimer: I’m not a vegetarian, but when I’m the one cooking, you would think I were. :P)

Argentines have a saying that goes, “Vegetarians order a salad with their steak.”

Puerto Ricans have a saying that goes, “If your fingers get close to the grate, meat can only increase the flavor of your food.”

1. Broad beans and artichokes | olivesandartichokes - May 9, 2012

[…] who also has a good crop of broad beans at the moment, had posted a delicious-sounding recipe for asparagus with broad beans and mushrooms – so that’s another dish I’m going to try as our glut continues. Share […]

2. Spring Salads | Chica Andaluza - March 28, 2014

[…] you enjoy asparagus, try this recipe out and see what you […]