Just a Perfect Day….

2 Jul

So, Sunday 1st July, and it´s been a pretty Perfect Day here Up the Mountain.

(I´m just enjoying the song for the music, not looking into the deeper meaning here)!

We packed up the car with dogs, chairs and a picnic and headed down to a shady picnic area near a local lake. Of course, there was Jamon y Queso (ham and cheese).

No Spanish picnic would be complete without tortilla, and we also had some fried, salted peppers (although they were sweet today, not spicy).

And plenty of gazpacho to cool us down.

Then after chilling out, we headed off to watch the football….a glass of tinto de verano got us in the mood.

And … well…I went for the red shirt in the end. I figured, Spain is home, and home is where the heart is….Sorry Papá 4-0 to Spain against Italy!

It was a Perfect Day.

PS. Off again to the UK for a few days on Tuesday, so I´ll catch up with you all when I get back on Sunday.

65 Responses to “Just a Perfect Day….”

1. Karista July 2, 2012 at 01:45 #

With a meal like that I’d love to picnic with your family anytime! Makes me hungry Chica 🙂

• Chica Andaluza July 2, 2012 at 09:32 #

It was put together in a hurry (hence the plastic plates etc) but hey…it was a picnic and we had fun!

2. Just A Smidgen July 2, 2012 at 01:52 #

Now what a perfect song to accompany.. wouldn’t it be cool if we could just have music playing in the background when opening up your post:) “Sangria in the park”.. I’ll have one of your tinto de verano I think:) Go Spain!!

• Chica Andaluza July 2, 2012 at 09:34 #

Es, a feature to have music playing as your post opens would be fantastic! The tinto de vernao is good as you get to enjoy a little win, but with the heat it´s diluted and refreshing!

3. Mad Dog July 2, 2012 at 03:19 #

Backing the winning team was a good move. Great picnic too 😉

• Chica Andaluza July 2, 2012 at 09:37 #

It was indeed…and a fun night! Actually, speaking afterwards to a fellow Brit what we said we enjoyed most in the village was the way everyone was having fun together. The old boys, even the old ladies wearing something red, everyone with little flags painted on their faces, the children in their mini red team outfits and waving flags….just a lovely sense of “things aren´t great in Spain right now, but tonight we´re doing ok”!

4. andylmoore July 2, 2012 at 04:08 #

A resounding victory!

5. ChgoJohn July 2, 2012 at 06:34 #

Well, judging by your pics, you both did have a perfect day. And that was a wonderful picnic you prepared and shared. Good for you both — and your four-legged kids, too!
    Have a safe trip, Tanya.

• Chica Andaluza July 2, 2012 at 09:39 #

Thanks John – it was just what we needed. Off to pack a little bag now!

6. chaiselongue1 July 2, 2012 at 08:01 #

It does look like a perfect picnic – food, drink, location, weather – and the match result too! Hope you have a good trip to London too

7. TheDorsetFinca July 2, 2012 at 08:38 #

I am so envious… what a fab day… and in the sunshine too! x

8. Roger Stowell July 2, 2012 at 08:46 #

Great picnic spot and pretty perfect picnic ingredients.

• Chica Andaluza July 2, 2012 at 09:41 #

Simple, but just what we needed (of course, there was wine and beer too!).

9. Calico Stretch July 2, 2012 at 09:24 #

Thank goodness for picnic fare that is so much more delicious and interesting than the default here, which usually includes and is often limited to sarnies, bacon and egg pie and a bottle or two of pop.

• Chica Andaluza July 2, 2012 at 09:42 #

Oh, I don´t know, there´s something quite special about a British picnic and if you throw in a Scotch Egg…..heaven!

10. Marianne July 2, 2012 at 09:27 #

Viva Espana! I am very happy that Spain won, my favorite country away from home, :).

• Chica Andaluza July 2, 2012 at 09:55 #

¡Enhorabuena España! I´m pleased for the Spanish, things are not great right now so this is a fantastic lift for them (or should I say “us” as we are honorary Andaluzas)!

• Marianne July 2, 2012 at 14:06 #

I feel the same, :).

11. rsmacaalay July 2, 2012 at 10:05 #

Jamon and Cheese is such a good picnic item, I love them

• Chica Andaluza July 2, 2012 at 10:13 #

You can´t go wrong, and with some good bread and olive oil….perfect!

12. themateriallady July 2, 2012 at 11:43 #

What a wonderful way to spend a day – and a great looking picnic. And your team won. Actually, you could claim that for either of them! (I spent the duration of the match with my sewing machine – good progress made on my dress so I won too!)

• Chica Andaluza July 2, 2012 at 11:44 #

Yes, it was a win-win situation for me 😉 Glad you got some sewing done for yourself!

13. gardenfreshtomatoes July 2, 2012 at 13:48 #

Have a great visit home!
    Go Spain!

14. spree July 2, 2012 at 16:52 #

Just another perfect day en paradiso! And another blessed trip home. Have a lovely trip Tanya…see you on the other end! xo

• Chica Andaluza July 2, 2012 at 18:15 #

Thank you – we´re lucky, most of our days here are pretty damn lovely….we are blessed, as you say in “paradiso”!

15. Promenade Claire July 2, 2012 at 18:19 #

A perfect day – a picnic, sunshine, drinks and footie!! So you went for Spain in the end, we watched it in the pub – and wow what a team! Looking forward to catching up this week – Yaaaaayy!!

• Chica Andaluza July 2, 2012 at 18:38 #

It was such a great day – glad you got to see the match too. Which pub did you go to…I only know the two nearest ones the Bo Beep and The Marina Fountain.

• Promenade Claire July 2, 2012 at 19:38 #

We went to the Nags Head (a real local). The Horse and Groom is nice on Mercatoria other than that we head to the Old Town to the FILO or the Jenny Lind 🙂

• Chica Andaluza July 2, 2012 at 20:35 #

Ooh – some good recommendations – I will have to venture out further!

16. PendleStitches July 2, 2012 at 19:23 #

Fabulous picnic. Result for Spain!

17. foodblogandthedog July 2, 2012 at 20:59 #

I’m desperate to take a picnic up to the lakes or the beach, not been to the beach yet this year!! So proud of Spain last night, it’s lucky we have one decent side to cheer on (sorry England!!)

• Chica Andaluza July 2, 2012 at 22:26 #

It was such a great atmosphere wasn´t it! We just went to the picnic area at Lake Viñuela near las Mayoralas – the water level is already dropping so there was none where we picnicked, but it´s a great area, lots of bbqs to use, water and some dodgy loos if you don´t want to go into the campo!

18. Jed Gray (sportsglutton) July 2, 2012 at 21:43 #

Oh I could enjoy that entire plate of ham for myself! And congrats to Spain!

• Chica Andaluza July 2, 2012 at 22:27 #

Yes, the ham is always quick to go (and the dogs also do that “pleading look” thing, so they get a share)! Spain were fantastic last night – well done to them indeed!

19. Sawsan@ Chef in disguise July 2, 2012 at 22:10 #

I am really glad you had a great time Tanya, and congrats for Spain 🙂
    Have a safe trip and enjoy your time

• Chica Andaluza July 2, 2012 at 22:27 #

Thanks Sawsan, I´m not exactly a football fanatic, but I enjoy games and tournaments like this….just getting ready now to leave tomorrow!

20. Savory Simple July 2, 2012 at 23:35 #

Yay summer!

21. Janet Childs ツ July 3, 2012 at 16:34 #

Oh my! The Tortilla de Patatas looks to die for. Let me know when you are off to another picnic… I’ll bring the wine! LOL!

22. Tandy July 3, 2012 at 17:14 #

hope you had a great time in England 🙂

• Chica Andaluza July 8, 2012 at 10:59 #

Thanks Tandy, a very good trip, just back and starting to catch up!

23. bitsandbreadcrumbs July 3, 2012 at 18:02 #

Am loving listening to Lou while reading this post, Tanya! 🙂 This so makes me want a picnic, but we’d be BBQ’d in the heat we’re experiencing here. You truly did have a perfect day, a perfect meal, and congrats to Spain. Hope you have a fantastic trip to the UK.

• Chica Andaluza July 8, 2012 at 10:03 #

Thank you for your lovely words – it´s very, very hot here now but down in the shady trees it was perfect!

24. narf77 July 3, 2012 at 23:00 #

You guys are SOOOO lucky to be able to just “hop over to the UK” or France or wherever else you want to do a bit of shopping. Here in Australia we are IT. Our nearest neighbour is Indonesia (or Antarctica and I KNOW where I would be wanting to hang out on the beach in bathers…). I am so glad that you had a perfect day 🙂 Life is indeed good and hopefully your perfect day stretches out into the near future 🙂

• Chica Andaluza July 8, 2012 at 11:02 #

It´s true, we are lucky! But then if you fancy a holiday in Bali it´s not a round the world trip for you!

• narf77 July 9, 2012 at 09:19 #

lol but Bali is it! You guys can shuffle all over the place and soak up so much culture you could burst

25. yummychunklet July 4, 2012 at 16:02 #

Tasty looking picnic food!

26. Charles July 5, 2012 at 09:19 #

Fantastic looking food – I love seeing picnic culture in other countries. England seems to be all about the marmite sandwiches, haha. I think I’m more of a fan of Spanish picnics by the looks of things 😀

• Chica Andaluza July 8, 2012 at 10:06 #

Damn..I love marmite, should have put a very of those sarnies in!

27. ceciliag July 5, 2012 at 14:56 #

I love picnics.. in our family they are called pinicknicks.. and it looked like such a lovely shady spot.. c

28. Sartenada July 6, 2012 at 10:18 #

It seems to be a lovely picnic with many yammies.

• Chica Andaluza July 8, 2012 at 10:58 #

Yammies…that´s a new one to me, but I love the word!

29. Sakae July 7, 2012 at 07:13 #

I should have joined you :). What a wonderful day you had! The gazpacho you made is really intriguing me. I’ve never been there, but I can learn Spanish life from your nice blog. I like your sewing, too.

• Chica Andaluza July 8, 2012 at 10:57 #

We did indeed have a wonderful day. Thanks for stopping by and for your lovely words, glad you enjoyed!

30. niasunset July 8, 2012 at 19:06 #

I loved too… Seems that it was a wonderful day… Thank you dear Chica, love, nia

31. Karen July 9, 2012 at 17:49 #

There must have been celebrations late into the night. Plenty of fun from the beginning of your day through to the end.

• Chica Andaluza July 9, 2012 at 22:10 #

It was a very long and lively night…sore heads the next day too 😉