A Safe Arrival

31 Jul

2300 km later and we´re in the UK. The sun is shining, we almost thought we´d arrived in the wrong country!

A blissfully uneventful journey, Big Man drove all the way (what a star) as I was suffering from a nasty bout of tonsillitis and feeling dreadful (but am on the mend now).

We drove past windmills in Castilla and La Mancha.

Spanish Bulls across the country.

Sunflowers in France.

And then the first drops of rain as we said goodbye to France in Calais.

Finally a big hello to England and the famous White Cliffs of Dover.

After a day of recovery and a look at the house we decided that we´re going to take advantage of my parents´ good will and a nearby holiday place they have and stay in their lovely flat for a little while as the house is a bit of a disaster zone right now.

A typical English Sunday was decided on. A long walk with the dogs to reward them for being so good. This is the beautiful Pevensey Castle.

Some delicious British Sirloin, cooked simply on the griddle.

Then hot apple crumble with creamy, ice-cold vanilla ice cream melting on top.

Ok, the rest is over…time to get to work.

Well, we will be watching kite surfing on the beach nearby and the Olympics too!

66 Responses to “A Safe Arrival”

1. Margarita July 31, 2012 at 15:20 #

It boggles the mind that one can drive from Spain to Britain. Thanks for sharing the trip, glad you’re on the mend!

• Chica Andaluza July 31, 2012 at 19:50 #

Funnily enough we talked about it on the way discussing how a visit to a relative a hundred miles or so away a century ago would have been a stay of three months!

• Margarita July 31, 2012 at 20:13 #

Yes, after a three-month trek! Brava!

2. ambrosiana July 31, 2012 at 15:34 #

It must have been quite a wonderful journey! The sunflowers picture in France and the one with the white cliffs of Dover are spectacular! I am glad you arrived well and eager to start your new exciting venture!

• Chica Andaluza July 31, 2012 at 19:51 #

Thank you – the snaps were just with my little digital camera, but they captured the moment!

3. Food,Photography & France July 31, 2012 at 15:54 #

Good to hear you made it safely. Good luck with the house and I hope you’re fully recovered from tonsillitis asap.

• Chica Andaluza July 31, 2012 at 19:52 #

Thanks Roger – we are getting cracking with the work but the tonsils are still sore. Honestly, I thought only children got tonsillitis and it´s very sore!

4. ceciliag July 31, 2012 at 16:01 #

I loved that shot of the white cliffs of dover, you could frame that for a wall in the new place, those kites look fascinating.. maybe one more day off before you start to deal with the disaster zone! c

• Chica Andaluza July 31, 2012 at 19:53 #

It was a beautiful evening as we reached Dover, it was very lucky to get such a good shot! We are already cracking on with the work, but we´ll take weekends off I think 😉

5. bitsandbreadcrumbs July 31, 2012 at 16:47 #

Classic shot of a Spanish bull, and I the white cliffs of Dover are such an impressive site. So glad you’ve arrived safely and I look forward to reading about your adventures with the new home and in England.

• Chica Andaluza July 31, 2012 at 19:54 #

Thank you – those bulls are all over the place but I get excited every time I see one!

6. Promenade Claire July 31, 2012 at 16:54 #

Yaay! Mind you this post is a marvellous reminder that I need to phone you 🙂
    Love the shot of the white cliffs – it’s a marvellous greeting isn’t it!

• Chica Andaluza July 31, 2012 at 19:55 #

Hi Claire – I think I left you a strange message yesterday about flowerpots, if you didn´t get it will explain when we speak!

• Promenade Claire July 31, 2012 at 20:12 #

Hi there, yes I did, just been a bit manic around here.
        But yes please to the flower pots, If I don’t use them fellow allotmenters will 🙂
        can’t believe I’m leaving a message about flower pots on your blog……

• Chica Andaluza July 31, 2012 at 23:02 #

Fantastic! Speak soon 🙂

7. thecompletecookbook July 31, 2012 at 17:10 #

Yay, so pleased that you have arrived safe and sound. LOVE your pic of the white cliffs of Dover – you have to enlarge and frame that for a wall!
    So pleased you took a couple of days to re-energise too.
    🙂 Mandy xo

• Chica Andaluza July 31, 2012 at 19:56 #

I think it´s the best shot of many I have taken over the years! We are so happy to be here safe and sound 🙂

8. cookinginsens July 31, 2012 at 17:31 #

Good God, that steak looks good! Glad you had a safe trip.

9. Mad Dog July 31, 2012 at 17:39 #

Welcome back! Nice pictures in spite of the tonsils 😉
    What sunshine are you talking about… ?

• Chica Andaluza July 31, 2012 at 19:56 #

Yes, I spoke too soon about the sunshine 😦 Hopefully it will be back again soon!

10. DianeT July 31, 2012 at 22:16 #

Love the bull photo. Being a Taurus, I think Spain must be my spiritual home. 🙂

11. spree July 31, 2012 at 22:23 #

Welcome landing on familiar soil Tanya! It must feel so good to be planted again after such a long haul of a trip. Loved seeing your photos along the way…stunning white cliffs…would love to see those in person one day. Amidst all you’ll be doing for the next days and weeks, I hope you’ll also be taking extra good care of you. Wishing you sun!

• Chica Andaluza July 31, 2012 at 23:03 #

Thanks Spree – mixed emotions right now, but all of them good 🙂

12. peasepudding July 31, 2012 at 22:39 #

Glad to hear you are safely in UK and that the weather is being kind to you, it would be hard to leave all that beautiful weather behind.

• Chica Andaluza July 31, 2012 at 23:04 #

We are starting to feel the chill here, but I am sure we´ll acclimatise 😉

13. narf77 July 31, 2012 at 23:26 #

And so we begin! :)…

14. Charles July 31, 2012 at 23:38 #

Aah, I feel a little jealous of you, being in England. I do love the English countryside. Your walk to the castle and lunch looks wonderful – glad you had a good trip though! I bet the sunflowers were beautiful in France.

• Chica Andaluza August 1, 2012 at 08:48 #

The countryside looks amazing right now, probably due to all the rain they´ve had here!

15. Piglet in Portugal July 31, 2012 at 23:39 #

The white cliffs of Dover and the hot apple crumble make me feel homesick 😦
    Hope you feel better soon

16. Bluejellybeans August 1, 2012 at 01:12 #

Me alegro mucho de que ya estéis allí y que hayáis llegado sanos y salvos. Los White Cliffs son súper bonitos. Espero poder verlos alguna vez en persona.
    Que os siga haciendo bueno.
    ¡Un abrazo!

• Chica Andaluza August 1, 2012 at 08:42 #

Gracias Giovanna – estamos contentisimos de estar (por fin) aqui!

17. ChgoJohn August 1, 2012 at 01:39 #

So glad that you arrived without any major problem to report, although that tonsillitis certainly was regrettable. i hope you’re doing better now. And what a perfect Sunday you and Big Man spent together. I hope you both do take the weekends off so that you can add a few more such Sundays — and a few Saturdays, too — to your adventure. All work and no play …

• Chica Andaluza August 1, 2012 at 08:43 #

Hi John – yes am on the mend. The power of penicillin! And we also agreed with taking time off, it would be a bot miserable otherwise so we are planning on catching up with friends already this weekend. Not much serious cooking yet though 😦

18. gardenfreshtomatoes August 1, 2012 at 02:42 #

Pevensey Castle?
    Are there fauns about? Or Lamp posts?
    Glad you made it safe, if not entirely sound…get well soon! Looking forward to reading about your adventures!

• Chica Andaluza August 1, 2012 at 08:44 #

No fauns or lamp posts, but lots of ancient magic I think! It dates from around th time of the Norman Invasion in 1066, so loads of history and good feeling 🙂

19. spicegirlfla August 1, 2012 at 02:43 #

Such beautiful shots Tanya, I felt like I was traveling right along with you! Glad to see you arrived safely. Wonderful lunch I might add also, with a glass of wine, you both deserve some relaxing time before all your work!

• Chica Andaluza August 1, 2012 at 08:45 #

The wine was important – we bought plenty over from Spain to share with pals!

20. Eha August 1, 2012 at 06:03 #

Loved the post on your journey north, even more those photos! The Cliffs of Dover, of course, but even more so that last shot of moody seascape . . . Am slightly bemused at how some posters regard the length of your journey! Methinks they better think twice about an auto journey in Oz . . . . 🙂 !

• Chica Andaluza August 1, 2012 at 08:45 #

I know, I have driven a little around Oz and was rather overwhelmed by distances and by what people regarded as a “short” journey 🙂

21. TheDorsetFinca August 1, 2012 at 08:39 #

Yay – you’re here! Loved the photos of your journey – especially the bull! Good luck with getting started on your project. Will be thinking of you!

• Chica Andaluza August 1, 2012 at 08:46 #

Thank you…I´d love one of those bulls but I don´t think we´d have the space!

22. rsmacaalay August 1, 2012 at 10:24 #

Nice to hear that you made it safely

23. soloenespana August 1, 2012 at 12:31 #

Oh – we drowe 3000 km to Denmark, my not-so-big man on the wheel all the way and two kids in the car. It was a breeze – hope it will work just as well on the way home next week.

• Chica Andaluza August 1, 2012 at 20:25 #

Crikey – I have nothing but admiration for you – good luck for a safe trip back!

• soloenespana October 23, 2012 at 17:21 #

Hadn’t seen your reply (been a little low on the blog-front lately). We got home alright, even though we had send send many prayers upwards as the car almost broke down outside Granada.

• Chica Andaluza October 23, 2012 at 18:22 #

Oh no…just what you really didn´t need 😦 Glad you are home safe now though!

• soloenespana August 2, 2012 at 17:17 #

Not that it makes your drive any shorter or anything 🙂 It’s just so familiar. In Denmark it’s been raining most of the time, but it is a welcome change (esp. now that I don’t have to live with the rain 360 days of the year).

24. Karen August 1, 2012 at 15:16 #

I’m glad you arrived safe and sound. I’m sure you were glad to get out of the car after your journey. Love the photos…I remember the first time I saw the white cliffs when flying from France to England.

• Chica Andaluza August 1, 2012 at 20:27 #

Hi Karen, although we had plenty of “pit stops” it was such a good feeling to arrive! Those White Cliffs can be pretty impressive on a sunny day 🙂

25. Jed Gray (sportsglutton) August 1, 2012 at 23:35 #

I love the White Cliffs. Glad you made it safely!

26. Barbara Bamber | justasmidgen August 2, 2012 at 06:31 #

I agree with the others.. the photo of the white cliffs is stunning! What an exhilarating sight to see when you travelled! I hope you settle in quickly.. I can’t wait to see your renovations of this home!! xx Smidge

• Chica Andaluza August 2, 2012 at 09:16 #

Thanks Smidge. I have quite dodgy internet connection but am hoping to post an update soon!

27. Tandy August 2, 2012 at 08:14 #

That photo of Dover is amazing! Good luck and have fun 🙂

• Chica Andaluza August 2, 2012 at 09:22 #

Thank you Tandy – have had a lot of lovely comments on it!

28. TBM August 2, 2012 at 10:35 #

I want to travel with you. Looks lovely. Glad you are feeling better!

29. Sartenada August 5, 2012 at 09:07 #

That was so nice photo report.

30. Michi August 22, 2012 at 18:59 #

I’d love to do a road trip from Spain to England, and be able to witness the changes in the landscape (not to mention the gastronomical adventures along the way). The Cliffs of Dover are beautiful! Enjoy your holiday! I hope the work on your home goes by quickly! 🙂

• Chica Andaluza August 23, 2012 at 20:47 #

Thanks Michi – we´re actually here working (hard, oh so hard!) and may not be home for at least a month but we´re having a wonderful experience!