Vegetable Fajitas with Soft Goat´s Cheese

13 Sep

Easy, nourishing dishes that are quick to prepare are still very much the order of the day here. To make a change from sandwiches, I decided to make fajitas this week. I did have to buy my tortillas, but for a fabulous recipe for home made ones (I can vouch for it, I made them in Spain) take a look at Tandy´s recipe.

Quantities are flexible, and use your favourite veggies or whatever you have to hand. We ate 2 tortillas each for lunch.

Ingredients

• Finely chopped savoy cabbage
  • Finely shredded carrots, red peppers, onion
  • Finely Sliced Mushrooms
  • A handful of fresh beansprouts
  • Olive oil for stir frying
  • 1 teaspoon of tamarind sauce per person (pinched from my mum´s store cupboard – thanks Mamma!)
  • Pinch of dried chili flakes (optional)
  • ¼ teaspoon of ground cumin per person
  • Salt & Pepper
  • 1 small log of soft goat´s cheese
  • Creamy Natural Yogurt
  • Tortillas for wrapping

Simply stir fry all the vegetables until they start to soften. Add the cumin, chili (if using) and tamarind and cover the pan. Continue to cook until the vegetables are cooked to your liking. Remove the lid if you prefer no juice.

Spoon the vegetables over warmed tortillas which you can spread with yogurt, place a few slices of creamy goat´s cheese on top, roll up and enjoy!

And finally, a totally gratuitous dog shot…at least someone can enjoy the rare bursts of sunshine this week…

Dogs among the rubble

66 Responses to “Vegetable Fajitas with Soft Goat´s Cheese”

1. Food,Photography & France September 13, 2012 at 08:41 #

What a good idea. I think tortillas will be on the menu this weekend:)

2. Tandy September 13, 2012 at 08:43 #

Thanks for the link love! I tried savoy cabbage for the first time last night 🙂 The dogs look very happy.

• Chica Andaluza September 13, 2012 at 09:31 #

You´re welcome, was so impressed with the recipe! I adore savoy cabbage – it´s great stir fried with bacon. And as for those dogs…they seem to b happy anywhere, even amongst the destruction!

3. Emily September 13, 2012 at 08:47 #

Yummo and thanks for the link to Tandy’s site – one I’ll go back to too.

We’re tortilla nuts here cos they’re so damned easy. One day I’ll make my own I’m sure of it :o). Great combo with tamarind sauce, cumin and soft cheese amongst it all. Yummo.

• Chica Andaluza September 13, 2012 at 09:32 #

It was the first time I´d tried tamarind sauce, am hooked!

4. Val September 13, 2012 at 09:13 #

Not surprised you had two each… looks very tasty!

• Chica Andaluza September 13, 2012 at 09:32 #

Well, when you´re a builder´s mate, one just isn´t enough!

5. Bluejellybeans September 13, 2012 at 09:36 #

¡Qué rico!
    Me encanta tu receta, rápida y balanceada. A los niños les va a encantar, con verduras y todo!! 😉

6. TBM September 13, 2012 at 09:40 #

Perfect timing. The other night we saw a commercial for fajitas and we both said, “I want that!” I love fajitas. Thanks!

• Chica Andaluza September 13, 2012 at 11:43 #

Oh me too – especially if they have a little “tickle” to them!

7. thecompletecookbook September 13, 2012 at 10:08 #

Lovely lunch! Reckon I shall be making these for Pete when he is next home. I always battle to think of lunches.
    🙂 Mandy xo

• Chica Andaluza September 13, 2012 at 11:43 #

Yes, it can be a pain – something quick but filling and not dull!

8. chaiselongue1 September 13, 2012 at 10:11 #

What a great idea! Another way to eat our fantastic local goats’ cheeses that have become almost daily fare for us.

• Chica Andaluza September 13, 2012 at 11:44 #

This was a gorgeous Welsh cheese from Abergavenny (hope I spelled that right!) and it was wonderful!

9. expatchef September 13, 2012 at 12:13 #

Looks great! And so easy, I bet it was great mixing it up a bit instead of a sandwich!

10. Karen September 13, 2012 at 13:16 #

This sounds like a flavorful and quick lunch to keep you going through your work day.

11. omeletta September 13, 2012 at 15:22 #

I will basically stuff my face with anything that has goats cheese 🙂 These look delicious. I can’t wait to check out that tortilla recipe! I’ve been thinking about trying them from scratch for a while, but haven’t gotten around to it yet.
    And your dogs are pretty cute 🙂

• Chica Andaluza September 13, 2012 at 20:05 #

Hi Omeletta – can recommend the tortilla récipe and I´m with you on the goat´s cheese. Yes, I agree, those dogs are pretty cute!

12. zestybeandog September 13, 2012 at 15:41 #

I love meals like this! Cute pups!

• Chica Andaluza September 13, 2012 at 20:05 #

Thank you – the pups seem to have gone down as well as the food!

13. spree September 13, 2012 at 16:08 #

Love a versatile meal you can wrap up in a blanket like this and eat one-handed…sometimes there’s just nothing better. Your pups are looking quite content basking in the sun there Tanya. Hope for you all that it lasts a good long while there!

• Chica Andaluza September 13, 2012 at 20:06 #

Thanks Spree – it´s all going well (although the weather is getting decidedly autumnal) and speedy meals like this help to soothe the soul!

14. gardenfreshtomatoes September 13, 2012 at 16:18 #

Right now, anything I can eat with one hand is a bonus! (That way the other hand can keep picking green beans, or blanching them, or freezing…. 😉 )

• Chica Andaluza September 13, 2012 at 20:07 #

Shame we can´t grow another arm from time to time… 😉

15. Promenade Claire September 13, 2012 at 16:19 #

Delicious and easy Tanya.
    And there is always room for a gratuitous dog shot 🙂

• Chica Andaluza September 13, 2012 at 20:07 #

🙂 I´m a bit biased re the dogs – think they have managed to keep us sane and laughing through the chaos!

16. Mad Dog September 13, 2012 at 18:27 #

Fantastic! here’s a very entertaining and informative tortilla recipe by Robert Rodriguez:
    10 Minute Cooking School

• Chica Andaluza September 13, 2012 at 20:09 #

Will check it out tomorrow when I am off the dongle and onto the “real” internet. I know I´ll love it as I always enjoy what you send me! Is the work with the German film crew over now? Want to make a movie about 2 mad folk who are restoring old houses in Bexhill?!

• Mad Dog September 13, 2012 at 21:33 #

I thought the Paralympic work was all over, but today they gave me a couple more days transcoding the video. I’d love to see your house though, I bet you are doing a great job 😉

• Chica Andaluza September 13, 2012 at 22:25 #

Good news re your work – and you´re welcome to come and visit! Speak soon?

• Mad Dog September 13, 2012 at 22:46 #

OK 🙂

17. narf77 September 13, 2012 at 22:55 #

What troupers your dogs are! When we renovated our home in town, we have a piteous photo of our dog Bezial curled up covered in dust looking like a gypsy cur in one of our covered armchairs. Nothing like seal pup eyes to make you feel guilty! Your dogs appear to be standing up to the rigour of renovation in a sterling manner! Despite their decided gypsy surrounds ;). Lovely recipe and I am off to pinch that tortilla recipe to give them a go in the near future. Cheers for a vego recipe by the way 🙂

• Chica Andaluza September 14, 2012 at 20:46 #

You´re welcome for the vego recipe – were not vegan or vegetarians, but when I think about it we eat a lot of non meat and dairy food so should post more or these recipes! Yes, those pups also do the sad eye thing sometimes, but mostly they´re just having enormous fun playing in a huge doggy playground!

18. Natalia at Hot, Cheap & Easy September 14, 2012 at 04:07 #

You are back in your groove! Very inspiring; I will bve looking to add more vegetables to my bang-up fajitas! We certainly have enough late summer to go around!

19. Eha September 14, 2012 at 04:46 #

Love the recipe: oft make variations on the theme for light lunch or even dinner. We get a lot of ‘mountain bread’s and other flatbreads here and they are such an easy and fast way to a great meal! Clever pups: not just in the sun but obviously out of the wind 🙂 !

• Chica Andaluza September 14, 2012 at 20:46 #

Mmm, flat breads! Yes, those pups follow the sun around the house and garden 🙂

20. Marina@Picnic at Marina September 14, 2012 at 04:50 #

Oh, the soft goat cheese is so creamy, makes a lovely addition to the crispy texture of the vegetables… 🙂

• Chica Andaluza September 14, 2012 at 20:46 #

I adore it. In Spain (at least where we live) we can only get either hard cheese or ricotta type and nothing in between, so am making the most of it here in the UK!

21. MySpanishAdventures September 15, 2012 at 08:47 #

I’m so glad to see you are “connected” again! I can’t wait to see more of the house project!!

• Chica Andaluza September 15, 2012 at 09:52 #

Big relief to be connected again – more photos of the Project coming up!

22. The Seas Of Mintaka September 15, 2012 at 20:17 #

We had these last night and they were SO GOOD! We made the yogurt sauce with “enebro” (not sure what that is in English) and coriander leaves, so tasty! We love tortillas!

• Chica Andaluza September 15, 2012 at 23:35 #

Is that fennel or dill? Yum, I bet they were good!

23. TheDorsetFinca September 16, 2012 at 08:31 #

These I have got to try… ! x

24. Barbara Bamber | justasmidgen September 16, 2012 at 16:39 #

This looks so healthy and nicely filling with all those veggies! It’s great you’ve got easy recipes for us with a crazy fall start up! xx

• Chica Andaluza September 17, 2012 at 16:09 #

Glad you liked it – simple is the only things that´s working for me at the moment!

25. Margaret September 16, 2012 at 21:50 #

I love goat cheese, and this combination–with the vegetables–looks delicious.

• Chica Andaluza September 17, 2012 at 15:58 #

Thanks Margaret – and thanks too for subscribing, hope you continue to enjoy!

26. Rachel September 16, 2012 at 21:58 #

Oh look, a tortilla in Spain that looks just like a tortilla in Texas, not like a potato pie! (kidding!!) Mmmm… Sounds awfully good…!! “tamarind sauce”?? I’ll have to do some homework!

• Chica Andaluza September 17, 2012 at 15:59 #

The tamarind was so good – an I know what you mean about the tortillas..when i told Big Man what we were having he was expecting a big thick omelette!

27. Piccavey September 17, 2012 at 09:53 #

Love the recipe, can´t wait to try it. Also thanks for the happy dog photo at the end of the post ; )

• Chica Andaluza September 17, 2012 at 15:57 #

Glad you liked it – thanks! And as for those dogs…they´re getting all the attention 😉

28. Purely.. Kay September 17, 2012 at 18:56 #

I just love a fajita dish and this is another way I can eat it and enjoy it :). Thanks for this amazing recipe

• Chica Andaluza September 18, 2012 at 11:24 #

Fajitas go so well with so many things – I think there are a lot of fans!

29. ChgoJohn September 18, 2012 at 15:58 #

This sounds terrific, Tanya, and perfect for you 2 worker bees. The meals need not be fancy, just nourishing and, above all else, easy to prepare. Your adding goat cheese puts these above all others. Great idea!

• Chica Andaluza September 18, 2012 at 17:17 #

We´re really enjoying all the lovely cheeses we can get here which we don´t find at home. And as for busy bees…such an apt description! Hope your trip is going well 🙂 Hugs to Zia – we made pasta last night and talked of you!

30. foodashion September 25, 2012 at 18:36 #

I’m really enjoying your Blog, recipies & photos!! Brilliant!!
    Tasha

31. Kursus ACLS August 18, 2016 at 10:12 #

I’m very excited with your recipe article. It very inspiring .Thanks for share