The Full Spanglish – Breakfast for the Workers

18 Oct

As ever right now, I´m slow to post. This week has been crazy with plumbers ripping up floorboards to install the central heating, the plasterer finishing the walls and ceilings and Big Man putting his foot through the bathroom floor into the new kitchen ceiling below.  Mmm…at least no one was hurt apart from a few skinned fingers (the plasterer), pride (Big Man), a huge purple bruise that looks like a large map of Australia (that´ll be Big Man again) and two bruised knees (me, rushing up the stairs to see if Big Man was ok and tripping over myself and landing on those knees).

The weekend, which is now just a distant memory, was restful though. Saturday night took us into local town, Hastings, to watch an incredible torch light procession, a massive bonfire on the beach and an incredible firework display.

Sunday morning we planned on a long walk with the pooches so set ourselves up for the day with a hearty English breakfast with the substitution of sausages with chorizo. All cooked in the oven apart from the eggs and mushrooms, it was not so naughty and oh so nice.

A wonderful walk round the grounds of the ruins of Bodiam Castle, and the dogs had fun glaring at the ducks as they had to be kept on leads and couldn´t chase them.

Cake in the tea shop was almost obligatory, so we obliged.

And then it was back to work.

Getting down and dirty with a Victorian drainage system….

No rest for the wicked, so they say. We must have been very wicked in a past life!

59 Responses to “The Full Spanglish – Breakfast for the Workers”

1. Marianne October 18, 2012 at 11:14 #

Oh dear! Your disaster with the ceiling could have been much worse – thank goodness!

Lovely photos, Tanya 🙂

• Chica Andaluza October 18, 2012 at 20:20 #

Yes, it was loud and a bit scary the moment it happened but you´re right…it could have been so much worse!

2. TBM October 18, 2012 at 11:17 #

Oh you are cruel. I woke up and quickly realized I have nothing for breakfast…and then I see this photo of an amazing breakfast. Dagger! I hope everyone is all right. Dangerous work. Great photos. And be careful! Look before you run.

• Chica Andaluza October 18, 2012 at 20:20 #

Wise advice about looking first 😉 Hope you managed to rustle something up for breakfast!

3. cookinginsens October 18, 2012 at 11:20 #

Great breakfast!

4. Mad Dog October 18, 2012 at 12:13 #

I’m glad you’re both OK 😉
    Lovely breakfast, fireworks and castle!

5. Food,Photography & France October 18, 2012 at 14:16 #

That breakfast really does look the business. How I admire your hard work, and how I don’t envy you.

• Chica Andaluza October 18, 2012 at 20:21 #

You always make me laugh Roger – I know this DIY malarkey is just not for you and I am beginning to understand why!

6. Unwind Cooking | CA Realtor October 18, 2012 at 19:00 #

Now that’s a fun title “Spanglish Breakfast” 🙂

7. spicegirlfla October 18, 2012 at 19:20 #

And through it all, you create this breakfast! What beautiful photos Tanya. As always I envy your travels!

• Chica Andaluza October 18, 2012 at 20:22 #

An army marhces on its stomach…and so do Big Man and I!

8. gardenfreshtomatoes October 18, 2012 at 20:02 #

Sounds like fun! I want to start renovting…
    Ok. Not really. I’m glad you guys are surviving it, bumps, lumps and all, and still finding time for some genuine FUN.

9. thecompletecookbook October 18, 2012 at 20:14 #

How good to be fitting more than just work Tanya, I bet the pups were most happy to be taken out on the town for a walk – imagine all those new smells…
    Seems Big Man was looking at trying a new fashion statement – never know, it might just take off. 😉
    We have had a disastrous last day as our kitchen was flooded from the ceiling down last night with all the heavy wind and rain we had so I am not a very happy girl today and extremely tired from staying up the whole night empting buckets and trying to keep cupboards from getting water logged – for the most part, I think I have been able to salvage majority of the cupboards (sort of). I am so nervous about the predictions for the rest of the weekends weather – not sure I will get much sleep again tonight.
    Oh dear, what a moan – sorry about that.
    Have a lovely weekend ahead and your breakies looks just perfect.
    🙂 Mandy xo

• Chica Andaluza October 18, 2012 at 20:24 #

Oh Mandy – that sounds horrible 😦 Wish we could pop over with our big power tools and sort your leaking roof out. Very miserable and when you haven´t slept it all feels so much worse. Mother nature can wreak havoc can´t she as well as giving us the most incredible beauty…Sending you a big hug.

10. narf77 October 18, 2012 at 20:45 #

Wicked BUT accomplished ;). When we moved to Tasmania from mainland Western Australia, one of the reasons that I got highly excited was that fireworks were still legal here! You could go into the firework shop (even to this day that word makes me smile with eager anticipation) and pick out whatever you could afford and however maniacal you were about your desire to set fire to the local neighbourhood and go nuts whenever you damn well pleased! Not long after we got here they banned them and the firework shop closed down. Now I have to satisfy my natural pyrotechnic urges by looking pensively at the photos of others…consider me pensively looking at your photos…

• Chica Andaluza October 19, 2012 at 09:08 #

In Spain they love their fireworks and small children are encouraged to throw firecrackers at any opportunity – a rather worrying practice. You can still buy then here in the UK but I think I prefer going to a display like this and watching something spectacular from a distance!

11. DianeT October 18, 2012 at 20:55 #

Oh dear Tanya, you really shouldn’t post a photo of your breakfast when I’m sitting at the computer with an empty stomach at 7.50am contemplating a fresh fruit smoothie (with a halo above my head) I only have eggs and bacon in the kitchen but it “smells” so good that I will have a change of breakfast plan. This so brings back memories of all the breakfasts I had at the wonderful B & B’s I stayed in in England – and the fascinating castles I visited. (Yearn…….)

• Chica Andaluza October 19, 2012 at 09:07 #

Well….throw that halo away and grill the bacon and poach the eggs and you will be having a low fat (ish) brekkie! Good B&B breakfasts are the business aren´t they?!

12. Pendle Stitches October 18, 2012 at 21:27 #

Oh my. Glad you’re ok. I so want that breakfast.

• Chica Andaluza October 19, 2012 at 09:06 #

It set us up for the whole weekend practically!

• Pendle Stitches October 20, 2012 at 10:01 #

I’m not surprised…it looks soooooooo good.

13. bitsandbreadcrumbs October 18, 2012 at 22:19 #

Oh my goodness! So glad that both Big Man and you are okay. I had my leg go through a pier once…not fun, and the bruising lasted for a month…all that weight going through a hole. That breakfast looks terrific and makes me want to have breakfast for dinner now! 🙂

• Chica Andaluza October 19, 2012 at 09:05 #

Oh dear, not a nice thing to happen. We are using plenty of arnica on the bruise so hopefully he´ll feel less sore soon!

14. ChgoJohn October 18, 2012 at 23:36 #

Well that was an exciting day for you all, wasn’t it? So glad no one was seriously hurt.You’ll be talking about that foot in that ceiling for years to come. 🙂 Even so, you sure have been making progress, Tanya! And it looks like you picked a perfect, sunny day to tour the castle ruins. I hope it was as warm as it looks.

• Chica Andaluza October 19, 2012 at 09:04 #

It was indeed a gorgeous day (now followed by more rain) but we made the most of it!

15. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide October 19, 2012 at 02:28 #

It’s not a demo project without a little foot-through-the-ceiling action. At least that’s what one might say if he slips in the attic in say August. Anyhow, that breakfast rules and things are coming along.

• Chica Andaluza October 19, 2012 at 09:03 #

Aha – you know what I mean then! Hope the attic (and “whoever” fell, has recovered) 😉

16. Michelle October 19, 2012 at 02:56 #

I this is the breakfast your workers get, I’ll be right over. With a hammer and a tool belt!

• Chica Andaluza October 19, 2012 at 09:02 #

Sadly it´s a rare treat…but it was worth the wait!

17. Heather @ SugarDish(Me) October 19, 2012 at 05:34 #

I would like breakfast, please? That looks DELICIOUS. Seriously. Will work for food.

Oh! Hey before I forget: I moved the hosting for Sugar Dish Me. The address is still the same but it won’t show up in your wp.com reader anymore. If you’d still like to follow along you can re-subscribe via email or rss feed. http://www.sugardishme.com/

Thanks so much for reading Sugar Dish Me!

• Chica Andaluza October 19, 2012 at 09:02 #

Hi Heather – will re sign up! And thanks for popping by and commenting 🙂

18. Eha October 19, 2012 at 05:59 #

Breakfast for the workers: where is the employment queue?

19. Bam's Kitchen October 19, 2012 at 13:32 #

That was a lot of excitement all in one day and glad everyone is okay. A breakfast fit for a king will help you forget all about that little hole in the ceiling… Take care, BAM

• Chica Andaluza October 19, 2012 at 16:55 #

You´re right BAM – a good breakfast generally puts the world to rights!

20. Caroline October 19, 2012 at 18:18 #

Good luck with the rest of the construction–looks like a lot of work! Mmm but that breakfast plate looks delicious. I wouldn’t mind working so much after eating that. 🙂

• Chica Andaluza October 20, 2012 at 12:48 #

Thanks Caroline – actually, I think you´d need a good snooze with the Sunday papers after that breakfast!

21. Tandy October 19, 2012 at 19:00 #

You deserve the cream tea to soothe your knees 🙂

22. spree October 19, 2012 at 19:23 #

I’m sorry for your knees Tanya, your just-new ceiling and for Big Man’s pride & shins, and happy for the wee relief you got by way of a brilliant breakfast and a weekend free of work. Your pictures of the castle and grounds were lovely! And the progress is great to see!

• Chica Andaluza October 20, 2012 at 12:25 #

Ah thanks Spree – it could all have been worse but fortunately it wasn´t! The castle and grounds are beautiful, and we got lucky with the weather 🙂

23. Charles October 20, 2012 at 00:20 #

Oooh, that could have been so bad… my father was always going nuts when I was crawling around in the attic when I lived at home. Back when I was younger I found the very concept of the ceiling being so thin hilarious and I was desperate to poke a hole in it. Well… I guess I could say thank you for satisfying my curiosity :p. Glad he’s ok though!

• Chica Andaluza October 20, 2012 at 12:46 #

I can understand your father´s concerns! But yes, it is odd that they´re so thin. I suppose that unless you´re planning to a lot of “Dancing on the Ceiling” though, they don´t need to be thick!

24. Bluejellybeans October 20, 2012 at 12:37 #

Todo parece estupendo Tanya, salvo por el techo de la cocina y vuestros moratones… Este sitio parece precioso, lo mismo cuando terminéis con las reformas me voy y os alquilo la casa 😉
    Seguid disfrutando y trabajando, ¡lo estáis haciendo muy bien!

• Chica Andaluza October 20, 2012 at 12:47 #

Gracias Giovanna – los moratones se están poniendo mejores (pues, de color mora y negro) y me gustaría muchísimo alquiler mi casa a una persona tan graciosa como ti!

25. Karista October 21, 2012 at 02:54 #

The joys of renovating! We’re still working on our cottage and hope it gets finished one day soon. I can’t imagine working with a Victorian drainage system. It’s been challenging repairing our 1968 plumbing.
    Love the pictures of the castle and grounds. How lovely! You and Big Man definitely deserved the break, and that yummy breakfast. 🙂

• Chica Andaluza October 21, 2012 at 18:40 #

Thanks Karista – actually 1968 drainage is probably more complex to fix than VIctorian as it´s pretty simple. All the best with your works!

26. peasepudding October 21, 2012 at 04:51 #

Yes of course cake is obligatory when you go out for the day. Gosh we only went out for bathroom tiles (we are renovating too) yesterday and because we were passing my favourite cake show we had to pop in.

• Chica Andaluza October 21, 2012 at 18:40 #

That sounds totally sensible to me – good luck with your renovations!

27. Barbara Bamber | justasmidgen October 21, 2012 at 08:54 #

I really envy your ability to walk in the most interesting places. I think I’d be much more fit if I had castles nearby to walk around! Excellent breakfast as well.. good luck with your work (and those bruises!)

• Chica Andaluza October 21, 2012 at 18:39 #

Thanks Barbara – there are lots of beautiful castles and beaches round here…we´re loving it!

28. Calico Stretch October 21, 2012 at 23:16 #

Castles, cake, sausages, ducks, fireworks. What a lovely weekend! I wish we had a castles with moats here …. for the cake as much as for everything else :o)

1. Aubergine and Vegetable Sauce – for people who don’t like aubergine | Chica Andaluza - September 29, 2013

[…] We’re planning on three or four months, so we’ll be enjoying the Rye Bay Scallop Season, Bonfires and Fireworks and Christmas too…along with plenty of hard […]