One Dish, Two Ways. Trout and Prawns Go Asian and Mediterranean.

19 Feb

I have to confess, I’m not a fan of cooking different meals to accommodate different tastes. Maybe I’d have been a horrible mum if I’d had children. I can imagine them all demanding their favourite meals and me refusing point blank and screaming something along the lines of “this is not an a la carte restaurant you know”. But sometimes, just sometimes, I go all contrary and make something different for me and Big Man. As long as it doesn’t involve anything too stressful in terms of extra work.

Asian Style...

Asian Style…

We were in the mood for fish and I had bought some gorgeous trout steaks and langoustines from the fishmonger. Having made a recent trip to a wonderful Chinese Supermarket I had been dreaming all day of oriental flavours. Big Man was coming down with a cold and feeling in need of a taste of home. No problem – this was an easy fix and we would both be happy.

Asian Style Dish

• 1 trout steak and 2 large langoustines marinated for 30 minutes in a little freshly grated ginger, a large clove of crushed garlic, a tablespoon of soy sauce, a teaspoon of sesame oil and a splash of fish sauce

Mediterranean Style Dish

• 1 trout steak and 2 large tiger prawns/langoustines marinated for 30 minutes in the grated zest of half a lemon, the juice of half a lemon and a tablespoon of olive oil

Both dishes

• Steamed pak choi and sautéed sliced mushrooms

Griddle or grill the trout and langoustines on a high heat until the trout is almost cooked through (I like it a little pink in the middle but cook for longer if you like) and the langoustines turn from black to pink.

Mediterranean Style...

Mediterranean Style…

To serve the Asian Style Dish

Drizzle a little chili oil over the fish and prawns and some oyster sauce over the vegetables and top with finely shredded spring onion.

To serve the Mediterranean Style Dish

Drizzle a little olive oil and lemon juice over the fish, prawns and vegetables.

Easy, healthy, fairly quick to prepare and cook, and everyone is happy!

54 Responses to “One Dish, Two Ways. Trout and Prawns Go Asian and Mediterranean.”

1. cookinginsens February 19, 2013 at 21:29 #

That looks delicious. In general, children should eat as they’re told. Then you can make special treats for them occasionally 🙂

• Chica Andaluza February 19, 2013 at 22:47 #

Oh I do agree Rosemary! Well, that’s how I was bought up at least 🙂

2. Promenade Claire February 19, 2013 at 21:29 #

I’m not sure which one I’d ask for at the Chica A la carte restaurant! Eithe rone is simple and delicious and shows how flexible great ingredients are. Cx

3. themateriallady February 19, 2013 at 21:29 #

They both look delicious – and just the sort of dish to make the ‘big Man’ feel better. Hope he doesn’t pass it on to you.
    With regard to bad mothers – I always gave my daughter a choice for meals. But it was ‘take it or leave it – I’m not cooking more’. Bad mother confession. I think she still likes me…..

4. PendleStitches February 19, 2013 at 21:30 #

Oh lordy….prawns would be part of my death row dinner. I’m more than a little envious that you have a local fishmonger…a rare breed indeed!

• Chica Andaluza February 19, 2013 at 22:50 #

I do hope you get to enjoy some before you get condemned to death row! (I’d have one of those huge shellfish platters!).

5. Mad Dog February 19, 2013 at 21:38 #

I feel the same – I like the idea of having a restaurant and serving one dish per day. That way it would always be excellent and economical. However, you seem to have made two delicious dishes effortlessly 😉

• Chica Andaluza February 19, 2013 at 22:51 #

Well, it was only a few simple tweaks! But I’m with you on the restaurant…and I’m always very suspicious of restaurants that have menus with far too many dishes…how the heck can they possibly all be freshly cooked?

• Mad Dog February 19, 2013 at 23:33 #

They can’t – I worked in one once and we often had to defrost fish and meat in a sink full of hot water before cooking. Less is more 😉

• Chica Andaluza February 20, 2013 at 09:04 #

Eek!

6. 76sanfermo February 19, 2013 at 23:47 #

Wow,
    I tuoi piatti sono sempre più buoni!
    Ciao, Chica ,sei bravissima e anche con i bambini faresti bene a non viziarli !

• Chica Andaluza February 20, 2013 at 09:05 #

Grazie mille – mi piace molto cocinare e mangiare sabori di tutto il mondo!

• 76sanfermo February 20, 2013 at 09:19 #

Vedo! Ciao , Chica Andaluza!

7. Eha February 20, 2013 at 01:59 #

Both recipes are fantastic, both are easily ‘doable’ and both taste great!! Actually, both for taste and health, these are the two basic methods I use in my own everyday home cooking! Well, I DO prefer the Asian side with its infinite number of variations on the theme and stronger flavours 🙂 ! 🙂 ! Have just finished grilled fish fillets your Asian style with brown rice and pak choi: am content!!!! But the geography comes to influence too!

• Chica Andaluza February 20, 2013 at 09:08 #

When I was “down under” and world travelling I was in Asian food heaven. Really love the flavours. Big Man has spent a lifetime eating good but fairly simple Spanish food to I have to say hats off to him for being prepared to try new things, but I do understand that he doesn’t crave the strong flavours that I adore…this was a “compromise”, but I’m with you…give me Asian flavours any time!

8. ChgoJohn February 20, 2013 at 02:29 #

Both dishes are outstanding, Tanya, and I would have begged you to split the dishes between us. I have a hard enough time making decisions. Having to choose between these 2 preparations would stress me out! And those prawns/langoustines look fantastic, by the way.
    I hope Big Man is feeling better soon.

• Chica Andaluza February 20, 2013 at 09:10 #

I think Big Man had a touch of Man Flu! He is also trying to give up smoking after a lifetime of the horrible habit, so I’m happy to be as supportive as I can right now…it must be so tough. In Spain, many restaurants offer 3 options on a dish – a tapas sized portion, a half portion and a full portion. It’s quite typical to order lots of half portions of things (they’re not just for children!) so that you get a little bit of everything. Which suits me perfectly 😉

9. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide February 20, 2013 at 02:32 #

I love them both.

• Chica Andaluza February 20, 2013 at 09:11 #

We were lucky to have such gorgeous ingredients, so it all tasted good!

10. Barbara Bamber | justasmidgen February 20, 2013 at 07:30 #

Oh, Tanya.. I’d want a little of both, please:D I’m lucky now, tonight we were having left-overs and my 21 year old decided otherwise.. so she made her own stir-fry.. now things are getting a little easier around here all the time! xx

• Chica Andaluza February 20, 2013 at 09:12 #

Yes, once they start cooking for themselves I expect that helps. Or do you look over her shoulder and think “ooh, I fancy that now instead of what I had planned!”? Leftovers are the best 🙂

11. Food,Photography & France February 20, 2013 at 09:22 #

Both dishes do it for me. I’m becoming a lot less tolerant of cooking things to suit faddy tastes – but then again, I’m not known for my tolerance:)

• Chica Andaluza February 20, 2013 at 10:08 #

I rather enjoy being a grumpy old (ish) woman… you can get away with so much as the years pass!

12. thecompletecookbook February 20, 2013 at 10:31 #

Oh dear, the piggy I am, I would want BOTH!
    🙂 Mandy xo

13. narf77 February 20, 2013 at 10:37 #

Asia meets the Med…sounds like true fusion cooking to me! ;). Sorry to hear that The Big Man is coming down with something…hope he is feeling better now. That delicious meal you cooked him should have done something to salve the problem :).

• Chica Andaluza February 20, 2013 at 12:27 #

Ah, he’ll live but thanks for the good wishes! I think I have seen Asian Med fusion restaurants in Spain..will have to check one out!

• narf77 February 20, 2013 at 19:50 #

So long as you steer clear of the more extreme elements of Asian cooking you have a cuisine that will meld amazingly well with just about any other cuisine. I know, here in Australia we specialise in cuisine mingling and Asia, being our nearest and dearest was numero uno (after Italian of course 😉 ) Hugs to the still living Big Man 😉

• Chica Andaluza February 21, 2013 at 17:24 #

I loved the variety (and quality) of Asian food in Oz…breakfast, lunch and dinner!

• narf77 February 21, 2013 at 18:14 #

You came here and we never met? Surely it would have been like crossing the streams in Ghostbusters! 😉

• Chica Andaluza February 21, 2013 at 19:22 #

I did (twice) but the last visit was 8 years ago 😦 Never made it to Tasmania…will have to put that right next time!

• narf77 February 21, 2013 at 19:45 #

8 years ago I wasn’t living in Tassie, I lived in Western Australia, Albany Western Australia to be precise. Dad changed all of that when he offered to pay for us to move over here and live in one of his untennented houses in Launceston city. We lived there for 4 years till dad died and left us the city house and Serendipity Farm :). Did you make it to W.A. in your travels? Perth is lovely 🙂

• Chica Andaluza February 21, 2013 at 21:08 #

Never made it over that way – Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane….how funny about the name of your old town. It has become very special to us as it’s the name of our road! I hear Perth is beautiful. It’s on the wish list.

14. gardenfreshtomatoes February 20, 2013 at 15:09 #

I’m with you on not cooking more than one meal – as any of my three kids could tell you – but that was easy enough to not be a pain. These days, my mother is worse than any child ever was…good thing I don’t cook for her too often!

• Chica Andaluza February 20, 2013 at 15:37 #

Oh yes, our older family members to start to get a bit demanding in their dotage!

15. TheDorsetFinca February 20, 2013 at 15:29 #

Both dishes sound (and look) incredible. Hope Big Man’s feeling better.

• Chica Andaluza February 20, 2013 at 15:37 #

Thank you – Big Man just has a slight case of the sniffles now!

16. spicegirlfla February 21, 2013 at 02:13 #

I had to laugh at how you would handle picky children eaters!! I made dinner and that was that, I told them it was the Chef Special and no substitutions! I’m definitely jealous over your availability of seafood, you first have to start with quality products and these look amazing! I’d try both recipes!!

• Chica Andaluza February 21, 2013 at 17:26 #

Yes, we were never given choices as children and if we were being particularly bratty and refusing to eat, the meal sometimes made a reappearance…just to make sure we understood that food was not to be thrown away!

17. fati's recipes February 21, 2013 at 08:17 #

Both ways seem delicious. Wouldn’t do one without doing the other to be honest.. 🙂

18. TBM February 21, 2013 at 09:55 #

I was not a good eater when I was little and my mom had to make separate meals for me. Apparently hot dogs are quick and easy. I’m surprised I survived but I loved them then. I don’t eat many hot dogs now.

And I love trout. Fresh Rainbow Trout from the Snake River in Wyoming–that sounds nice.

• Chica Andaluza February 21, 2013 at 17:29 #

Oh yes, fresh rainbow trout…that’s quite a journey from hot dogs to trout!

• TBM February 22, 2013 at 10:25 #

Sometimes I miss being a kid–no bills, but dude, I can’t go back to hot dogs. At least not everyday.

• Chica Andaluza February 22, 2013 at 10:28 #

😉

19. spree February 22, 2013 at 00:00 #

poor dear Big Man…watch for him to catch the flu at least several times a year now…he might have just discovered your weak-in-the-knees-mama-spot. (you don’t need to be a mom for that!) Tanya these two ways of preparing the same food sound equally good! Did you try them both? Did you serve up half and half…it’d have been so tempting! So Good!!

• Chica Andaluza February 22, 2013 at 10:34 #

Yes, I can be a mothering type sometimes…well, we have to look after our loved ones! And yes, of course I tried both…chef’s privilege 😉

20. bitsandbreadcrumbs February 25, 2013 at 16:12 #

This looks fantastic, and I have a cold right now so can you fix me some??? Beautiful colors. The looks of this pretty dish alone makes me feel better and I’m sure it tasted great and was full of clean, healthy flavor.

• Chica Andaluza February 25, 2013 at 16:22 #

When I have a cold I too crave vitamin packed foods and those colours certainly do pep things up!

21. kathryningrid February 26, 2013 at 06:36 #