Broad Beans with Griddled Pork Belly

16 Feb

Reading a beautiful recipe over at Cooking in Sens which involved broad beans stimulated a craving for those little green beauties. Back home in Andalucía right now I would normally just pop out into our veggie garden and pick me a basket full.  I haven’t seen any here in England yet but they do have excellent frozen broad bean pods.

Broad beans with pork belly (3)

I decided to make a little dish with echoes of home as a pretty substantial tapas which we enjoyed with some lovely crusty bread from my dad’s Italian baker pal, wine from a recent jaunt over the channel to France, juice from some of our lemons that Big Man bought back recently and locally reared pork. You can’t say we don’t embrace all that is available to us!

Ingredients as a main course for one or starters for two

• 1 cup of broad beans cooked until tender and drained
  • 2 thin slices of pork belly cooked on the griddle until browned and cut into small pieces (or use bacon or lardons, or mushrooms for a vegetarian version)
  • 1 avocado cut into small chunks
  • Olive oil
  • The grated rind of one lemon and the juice of half
  • Sweet pimentón
  • Salt & Pepper
  • Chopped parsley to finish (I didn’t have any but I think it would be perfect)

Mix together the still warm beans, pork and avocado. Add the lemon rind, about 2 tablespoons of olive oil (more if necessary) and the lemon juice. Season with the pimentón, salt and pepper and mix again. That’s it. Tricky wasn’t it?!

60 Responses to “Broad Beans with Griddled Pork Belly”

1. Mad Dog February 16, 2013 at 19:03 #

Sadly they don’t seem to like it in England until summer 😦

• Chica Andaluza February 16, 2013 at 19:36 #

I’ve noticed 😦 but the frozen pods are pretty tasty!

2. Karista February 16, 2013 at 19:11 #

How delicious! I do love pork belly and here, the fava bean, doesn’t arrive until summer. Although I can find them frozen. Love this recipe Chica… going on my weekend to make list. 🙂

• Chica Andaluza February 16, 2013 at 19:37 #

I think I spotted them frozen in Mercadona and with some pancetta…well, a little changes from habas con jamon!

3. narf77 February 16, 2013 at 19:24 #

What an amazing feast for the senses and for the eyes! I love that you used avocado as well to link the texture and meaty quality of the beans to the soft belly pork. I could make this without the pork and could sub some big meaty mushrooms sauted in olive oil which should give me a rough approximation of the texture. This is a real triumph of a recipe that is making me drool at 5.23am! Not an easy feat I can tell you! Kudos on using what is local and what “was” local where you visited (bring it back still makes it “local” 😉 ) to bring this wonderful meal together. That’s what it is all about…finding what is around, and turning it into something memorable and scrumptious…you win! 🙂

• Chica Andaluza February 16, 2013 at 19:40 #

Ah, thanks for such a great comment. Funnily enough, a few seconds after hitting “publish” I remember thinking that I should have added something in about using mushrooms instead of pork for a vegetarian version…yummmm! And it’s one of those dishes which is good hot, cold or at room temperature so you can’t lose! Would be good too stirred into rice or over pasta I think. Will investigate further 🙂

• narf77 February 16, 2013 at 19:47 #

I think that there is something strange about drooling over an evening meal before 6am! 😉 You have the basis there for all kinds of amazing leftovers meals. On bruschetta…with some amazing stock to make a kind of thick soup, the list is endless 🙂 Cheers for another unctuous recipe that is full of possibilities like all your recipes are 🙂

• Chica Andaluza February 18, 2013 at 19:40 #

Nothing strange at all – I dream food!

• narf77 February 18, 2013 at 19:42 #

Lol!

4. Calico Stretch February 16, 2013 at 19:57 #

there is somethng wonderful about using local and own grown. I’m not a pork person but you’re dead right about substituting mushrooms. Yum.

• Chica Andaluza February 18, 2013 at 19:41 #

Yes, am thinking the mushrooms would add a good deep flavour!

5. PendleStitches February 16, 2013 at 20:10 #

Hurrah for local produce…in the current climate its even more important!

6. DianeT February 16, 2013 at 20:16 #

Thanks, Tanya, for reminding me to get the ground ready for planting the broad beans this year. I missed out in the last two years. This is one vegetable that both of us in this household loves.

• Chica Andaluza February 18, 2013 at 19:42 #

Yes, you must be getting close to that time of year and it’s good when it’s a veggie you both enjoy (unlike carrots)!

7. gardenfreshtomatoes February 16, 2013 at 21:02 #

Looks so yummy! Thinking of fresh beans of ANY kind seems so far away…
    It’s snowing. Again.
    Thank goodness for frozen!

• Chica Andaluza February 18, 2013 at 19:43 #

Oh no, more snow! You good freeze anything you like right now 😉 just pop outside and stick it in the snow!

8. restlessjo February 16, 2013 at 21:24 #

Love broad beans but not so fussed on belly pork. I’d have to be extravagant and use pork steaks, but it does look good.

9. 76sanfermo February 16, 2013 at 22:44 #

It looks tricky , as you sad!
    Thank you for this easy,inspiring and inviting treat!
    Ciao!

• Chica Andaluza February 18, 2013 at 19:44 #

You’re welcome! No time right now for complicated, so most of what I am doing is very easy 🙂

10. theglobalgarnishgeek February 16, 2013 at 23:41 #

Oh, I just love pork belly – but as it is not on my list of healthy foods, I limit myself. Yet, this makes me want to jump right in. At least it has lots of veg 🙂

• Chica Andaluza February 18, 2013 at 19:45 #

You don’t need much pork belly for this and as you griddle it, you can drain off the fat…..well, that’s my excuse!

11. Eha February 17, 2013 at 00:49 #

Am not a stranger to a dish like that – well, I wasn’t until I reached the inclusion of avocado. This is new to me and absolutely have to try next time around: both taste and textures sound great 🙂 !

• Chica Andaluza February 18, 2013 at 19:46 #

Yes, we eat variations of this in Spain but without avocado…just thought I’d throw it into the mix and it was lovely!

12. The Wanderlust Gene February 17, 2013 at 07:05 #

Sounds delicious! Love broad beans and recipes that are so adaptable!

13. Piglet in Portugal February 17, 2013 at 09:00 #

Hi Chica,
    I love the combination of BB and lardons, but never thupught of adding Advocado…great idea! Do you taje the skun off the beans after cooking?
    You also mention you would have them in your horta now…I have massess of flowers on my beans but no pods or beans. We’ve had a great combination of rain and sun, but I can’t understand why flowers not producing beans. Did you ever have that problem?

• Chica Andaluza February 18, 2013 at 19:49 #

Yes, we’re big avocado fans here so I use it often. I personally don’t take the skins off as the pods were young and tender. Also, I can’t usually be bothered. It does look prettier though with that lovely vibrant green. Maybe I’m being a bit over optimistic thinking we’d had them now…maybe a few weeks more but our horta/huerto is walled and very sheltered so they’re usually early. Sometimes if you have a frost (which fortunately we never do) the flowers freeze and then don’t produce beans 😦 Do you think that may be the problem?

• Piglet in Portugal February 18, 2013 at 19:52 #

Ah if they are in sheltered position, yes. We’ve had flowers for ages, but I can’t see any beans! No don’t get frost here, in fact, the temps this year have not been down below 5C at night. When I read your post it made me worry more about my beans…flipping things will proabably produce when we are out of the country!

• Chica Andaluza February 18, 2013 at 19:57 #

Don’t worry, even if they grow big while you are away, they can be the ones that you slip out of their skins or turn into broad bean patties!

14. thecompletecookbook February 17, 2013 at 09:14 #

Ooo, think that would pass as a starter for just me – piggy that I am, although being such a well semi good girl with the weight loss regime, I would share it.
    🙂 Mandy xo

• Chica Andaluza February 18, 2013 at 19:49 #

Yes, this was a starter for us…although the main was light if I remember!

15. Food,Photography & France February 17, 2013 at 09:22 #

Picard, the wonderful French frozen food chain, has the best small, peeled broad beans, some of which I have in my freezer. I also have some Serrano ham, so guess what I’m going to do.

• Chica Andaluza February 18, 2013 at 19:50 #

Perfect…and unless you can eat freshly picked frozen are pretty much fresher than anything else (I know, I worked for those very famous pea people!)

16. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide February 17, 2013 at 17:22 #

You and your broad beans. Looks fantastic.

17. bitsandbreadcrumbs February 17, 2013 at 19:40 #

I think someone answered my question about broad beans in that they’re called favas also, correct? This dish looks so wonderful and comforting, and I love that it can be a tapas, too. Would never have thought about the combo with avocado, but am sure it adds not only flavor but compliments the creaminess of the bean. Beautiful!

• Chica Andaluza February 18, 2013 at 19:52 #

Yes, I should have said, favas! And the avocado was just a little indulgence as we love it and the colours matched 🙂

18. ChgoJohn February 18, 2013 at 00:48 #

I don’t know how tricky, Tanya, but I bet it tastes magical. 😉
    I’ve asked Zia and she never cooked broad beans. They were served raw or in salads. but never cooked. Maybe I should surprise her with one of your recipes. Well, surprise us both. I’ve never had them cooked, either. 🙂

• Chica Andaluza February 18, 2013 at 19:53 #

How interesting but thinking back, in Italy I probably only ever ate them raw. We love our broad beans and use them in lots of recipes!

19. TheDorsetFinca February 18, 2013 at 07:57 #

There is always clamoring for pork belly in the finca household, but I am running out of ways to serve it! This looks like a fantastic recipe – which I will be adopting pretty soonish!

• Chica Andaluza February 18, 2013 at 19:53 #

Can recommend this as an all in one dish = meat and veg, all in one dish!

20. TBM February 18, 2013 at 11:41 #

I love avocados! This sounds yummy!

21. Bluejellybeans February 18, 2013 at 14:54 #

Wow Tanya! Qué rico y fácil, me encanta 🙂 lo voy a hacer muy pronto!

22. spree February 18, 2013 at 16:43 #

Favas for tapas sounds brilliant Tanya! I can barely imagine what a joy it would be to step outside to your vegetable garden when the mood for favas strikes…but I’d sure like to find out.

• Chica Andaluza February 18, 2013 at 19:55 #

You can come and pick a basket whenever you like!

23. Amy Tong February 19, 2013 at 03:03 #

Oh, what a nice way to use what’s available around you. This dish sounds wonderful. I love the pork belly in your recipe. 🙂

• Chica Andaluza February 19, 2013 at 13:22 #

Thank you for you lovely comment and for stopping by!

24. Tandy February 19, 2013 at 14:42 #

This sounds perfectly delicious 🙂

25. chaiselongue1 February 20, 2013 at 17:30 #

Delicious – and it looks great in the earthenware dish, a real taste and sight of home!

• Chica Andaluza February 21, 2013 at 17:23 #

Yes, I remembered to pack one on the last trip to Spain!

26. dedy oktavianus pardede February 23, 2013 at 19:29 #

interesting dish…
    mach the roasted pork belly with avocado sound great!
    not so sinsfully dish..
    Bad fat with a good fat in one bowl……

1. Piglet’s Salada da Favas – Broad Bean Salad | Piglet in Portugal - April 21, 2013

[…] original idea was to try Chica’s recipe of Broad Beans with Griddled Pork Belly, but silly me left the shopping list at home and I forgot to buy avocado pears. This is my version […]

2. Piglet’s Salada da Favas – Broad Bean Salad | The Blog Farm - July 12, 2013