Sourdough Pizza Base

13 Jun

I confess, I have been gripped by sourdough fever, and am now searching the internet for ways to use my starter.

A logical place for me to veer off to was a pizza base. We do enjoy homemade pizza here Up the Mountain on a fairly regular basis, and toppings usually involve a fridge clear out with half the pizza (I always make a big rectangular one, the same size as my oven tray) topped with meat and the other half vegetables. You all know I’m not a veggie, but one of my little quirks is that I’m not crazy about meat or fish on my pizza. So there!

When are the other 8 guests arriving?!

When are the other 8 guests arriving?!

Ingredients (dough)

• 1 ½ cups of starter
  • 1 ½ cups of plain flour
  • 2 tablespoons of olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon of salt

Mix all ingredients together and knead for a few minutes (I used my mixer with the dough hook). No need to leave to rise but if you don’t want to use it immediately, put into an oiled bowl and cover with oiled cling film. When you are ready to make the pizza, knock back the dough and roll out as thinly or thickly as you like.

This amount would make 2 large pizzas, I think I could have made less (using a cup each of flour and starter) as my pizza was thicker than I normally make it. Instead of being sensible (and healthy) and using less of the dough, I just left it more thickly rolled out than usual and made it fit my oven tray (heated) before spreading with home made tomato sauce, peppers and mushrooms on one side and jamon on the other and sprinkling with cheese before backing for about 25 minutes in a very hot oven.

49 Responses to “Sourdough Pizza Base”

1. TBM June 13, 2013 at 11:45 #

Not sure I’ve ever had fish on a pizza. The Better Half loves anchovies, but I stick to veggies and cheese on mine as well.

• Chica Andaluza June 13, 2013 at 12:36 #

I’ve seen Pizza Marinara with squid and prawns, and whilst I love them, I don’t fancy them on a pizza 😦

2. DianeT June 13, 2013 at 11:58 #

Now that pizza looks fantastic. I’m very choosey about pizzas, especially the bases. The sour dough sounds perfect.

• Chica Andaluza June 13, 2013 at 12:35 #

It had a hint of the sourdough taste and a crispy crust – was pleased with it as a first attempt!

3. laurasmess June 13, 2013 at 12:38 #

Yumm!!! That looks incredible. I adore sourdough but I’ve had bad luck with my starter over the past few months. I think the fluctuating temperatures in my apartment aren’t beneficial for it’s sustained life :/ Thanks for this lovely recipe x

• Chica Andaluza June 15, 2013 at 13:16 #

It’s suddenly got very hot here and my bread is doing funny things – need to tweak my recipe for the heat!

• laurasmess June 16, 2013 at 17:09 #

Ah dear! Weather always messes with baking, doesn’t it!

• Chica Andaluza June 17, 2013 at 10:11 #

It does indeed! Keeps me on my toes though 🙂

4. gardenfreshtomatoes June 13, 2013 at 13:20 #

Sourdough was On The List for this year’s projects, but then I lost The List! 😉
    Looks tasty, for sure…

5. Eha June 13, 2013 at 14:27 #

Great results: if I read enough of such, may drop the long lists of work ahead and actually have a go myself! Don’t think I have ever had a pizza with a sourdough base, actually haven’t made or had one for ages. . . Like your vegetable side . . .

• Chica Andaluza June 15, 2013 at 13:17 #

It does take time, but more in terms of waiting for things to happen rather than working time!

6. Aruna Panangipally June 13, 2013 at 15:46 #

It was your colourful pic that first caught my eye….but then I found the recipe to be awesome and the fact that I like sourdough is just a bonus. I am going to try this soon!

• Chica Andaluza June 13, 2013 at 22:32 #

Oh I’m so pleased you liked the look and sound of this – welcome to the “family”!

7. Food,Photography & France June 13, 2013 at 15:54 #

Looks great. I love the sourdough idea, but I’m too lazy to get started on it. I’m with you on the pizza topping – I think pizzas are to do with intense tomato flavour, oil, capers and anchovies.

• Chica Andaluza June 15, 2013 at 13:17 #

Oh yes, I forgot about anchovies – I definitely “allow” them onto my pizzas!

8. 76sanfermo June 13, 2013 at 16:01 #

It sounds spectacular !

9. Mad Dog June 13, 2013 at 16:23 #

That sourdough was crying out to be a pizza – I like Roger’s suggestion, but with a little chorizo on top 😉
    You’ll be building a wood fired pizza oven outside next…

• Chica Andaluza June 15, 2013 at 13:18 #

I asked for a wood burning oven when we built the house over 5 years ago – I’m still waiting for it 😦

10. bitsandbreadcrumbs June 13, 2013 at 17:11 #

The sourdough crust for a pizza is brilliant…it’s just gotta be terrific! I love pizza with meat or veggies, usually both, and as often as I have the time to make it! 🙂

• Chica Andaluza June 15, 2013 at 13:19 #

I think the best pizzas usually evolve from whatever you have in the fridge!

• bitsandbreadcrumbs June 15, 2013 at 17:23 #

Agreed, they are the perfect foil for fridge cleaning…as are frittata! 🙂

11. TheDorsetFinca June 13, 2013 at 19:58 #

I didn’t even think of using sourdough in this way! Next time… I’ll know! x

12. spree June 13, 2013 at 20:22 #

Wonderful, Tanya! Nothing a whole lot more satisfying than home made pizza… and pizza dough made with sourdough starter sends it over the top of the mountain! That is one gorgeous mouth-watering pie!!

• Chica Andaluza June 15, 2013 at 13:19 #

Thanks Spree – I was dying to see how this would work, was pleased with the result!

13. Garden Correspondent June 13, 2013 at 22:38 #

This looks amazing. I really want to get that starter growing, so I love your very motivating sourdough posts!

• Chica Andaluza June 15, 2013 at 13:20 #

Oh thank you so much! Am really enjoying my sourdough adventures 🙂

14. ChgoJohn June 14, 2013 at 01:52 #

When I got my first sourdough starter going, I was much the same as you, searching the internet for more uses. Living alone, I ate a lot of bread, Tanya, as did my friends. Never made a pizza dough, though, and yours here looks fantastic. You’ve got me wishing I had taken a different path for dinner tonight. 🙂
    Squid and prawns on pizza? No thanks.

• Chica Andaluza June 15, 2013 at 13:21 #

I’ll probably get fed up at some point, but for now am enjoying finding different uses for it 🙂 I am eating a lot more bread than I really should though, it’s hard to resist 😦

15. Tandy June 14, 2013 at 07:53 #

I will be back here to try this out soon!

• Chica Andaluza June 15, 2013 at 13:21 #

And I’m over to yours to check out your sourdough recipes!

16. andreamynard June 14, 2013 at 12:03 #

Love the idea of using sourdough starter in a pizza base, I bet it adds a great flavour. Once you have a starter on the go, you really want to make use of it don’t you – I like sourdough pancakes too. Fab pizza toppings. I like veggie toppings too but can’t resist a few shavings of our air dried ham or sometimes a few anchovies.

• Chica Andaluza June 15, 2013 at 13:22 #

Funnily enough I made sourdough pancakes the other night (post coming up soon!). Oh yes, now that I’ve announced I don’t like meat or fish on my pizza I have to confess anchovies and jamon do often make an appearance 🙂

17. narf77 June 14, 2013 at 21:28 #

YUMMO! I just had my first floury goodness since January while I was staying at my daughters. I made a vegan stromboli and cleared out their fridge of half jars of antipastoey stuff from the last time I stayed. I ended up with a most delicious combination of artichokes, olives, sundried tomatoes, onion, capsicum and lots more :). I might have to muck around and make a sourdough stromboli now. Glad someone else has fallen prey to the sourdough bug, I was starting to worry that I was bucking the trend (not that THAT has ever stopped me before 😉 ). Have a great weekend fortified with that scrumptious pizza 🙂

• Chica Andaluza June 15, 2013 at 13:24 #

Ooh that does sound very god indeed, will have to make one of those next week 🙂 Yes, I definitely have the sourdough bug!

• narf77 June 15, 2013 at 19:01 #

The Stromboli is easy peasy and you never end up with an overcooked base or overdone topping, everything is nicely rolled up together and you can slice it and serve it as finger food…I love food that does double service as something else ;).

• Chica Andaluza June 15, 2013 at 19:41 #

Sounds right up my street 🙂

18. Barbara Bamber | justasmidgen June 16, 2013 at 06:01 #

I can’t wait to get into the sourdough craze myself! I am waiting for a little “lull” in the crazy June schedule.. but it might not happen until July, lol! I think your pizza is the perfect use for your starter and I can’t wait to see what else you come up with! xx

• Chica Andaluza June 16, 2013 at 09:35 #

I’ve been having fun with this – and to be honest, once you get into the rhythm of sourdough baking, the time is taken up more in waiting for things to happen!

19. Bluejellybeans June 18, 2013 at 00:11 #

Impresionante!! Nada que ver con la pizza del Mercadona que han cenado hoy los chico y Juan Fran 😉

• Chica Andaluza June 18, 2013 at 07:25 #

Algo diferente, pero a veces, Mercadona te salva la vida (y la cena)!

20. Sawsan@ Chef in disguise June 18, 2013 at 09:50 #

I am in love with all the sourdough recipes 🙂 It is an addiction indeed! and everything tastes so much better with sourdough!
    Pizza dough has been on my list for far too long! I am making this tomorrow!

• Chica Andaluza June 19, 2013 at 11:39 #

Was really pleased with the pizza base – we currently have an advert on tv for a pizza delivery service (not that they deliver here) and Big Man always says “that looks so disgusting, I’m so pleased you make ours at home!”

• Sawsan@ Chef in disguise June 19, 2013 at 12:01 #

Oh! that must feel so good to hear 🙂 delivery pizza doesn’t stand a chance when compared to this beauty

• Chica Andaluza June 19, 2013 at 12:03 #

Thanks 🙂

21. Jaketanakkarakter July 1, 2015 at 10:59 #

it sounds good 🙂

1. Cherry Sourdough Cake | Chica Andaluza - June 16, 2013

[…] had bread, and pizza, so now it’s time for something sweet. I’ve noticed too that there’s not too much fat used in […]