Smokey Pork Belly Strips with Roasted Vegetables

8 Dec

Pork belly is a big favourite in our house but from reading recipes and comments on other lovely blogs, I’ve realised that not everyone can get hold  of whole pieces of pork belly. In fact, in Spain I have to ask the butcher to not slice it up as it’s also more typical to sell belly slices.

Smokey Pork Belly (3)

Usually pork belly slices are barbecued in Spain but here in the UK in December the weather doesn’t really lend itself to outdoor cooking – not that I wouldn’t grab the chance if the weather was perfect at the right moment!

I wanted to use belly slices and to try to recreate some of the smokey flavours in my kitchen without setting off the smoke alarm and causing panic amongst the neighbours. Easy…use the oven Chica!

Ingredients (to service 2)

Turn oven on to almost the highest setting

• A mix of root vegetables cut into large chunks (I used sweet potatoes, potatoes and carrots)
  • An onion cut into thick slices and about 6-8 whole garlic cloves
  • 6-8 pork belly slices
  • 1 heaped teaspoon of mustard powder
  • 1 heaped teaspoon of smoked pimentón or paprika
  • Salt and pepper
  • Olive oil

Put all the vegetables with the onion and garlic into an oven tray, season, drizzle well with oil and mix to ensure all the vegetables are coated.

Rub the pork belly slices in the mustard powder and the pimentón and season lightly.

Cook the vegetables in the oven for about 20 minutes until the vegetables start to soften. Lay the pork belly slices over the top of the vegetables and continue to cook for about another 20 minutes or until the pork belly is browned and crisp.

Enjoy with a warming glass of red wine and if you have any vegetables left over, add some stock the next day, blitz and enjoy a delicious roasted root vegetable soup.

For another pork belly recipe, check out my Smokey Pork with Pimentón and Peppers or Crispy Pork Belly with Stir Fried Cabbage.

55 Responses to “Smokey Pork Belly Strips with Roasted Vegetables”

1. anniedm778 December 8, 2013 at 18:04 #

I’m sitting here thinking of what to fix for lunch and this just looks soooo good! 🙂

• Chica Andaluza December 8, 2013 at 18:16 #

Thanks Annie!

• anniedm778 December 8, 2013 at 18:20 #

You’re welcome!

2. The Novice Gardener December 8, 2013 at 18:07 #

In my neck of the woods, you have to go to the Asian markets to get pork belly, which I feel like doing right now so i can make this, but it’s snowing, quite hard! So it’ll have to wait, but not for long. xo, Angie.

• Chica Andaluza December 8, 2013 at 18:17 #

I’m not sure I’d be hardy enough to venture out into the snow – but another day when it’s not smowing, do give it a go!

3. Mad Dog December 8, 2013 at 18:11 #

I’m lucky in that the butcher always has huge pork bellies for sale. I gave up on smoke detectors – I set them off every time I cook. Great recipe and doesn’t hot smoked pimentón go well with all roasted pork 😉

• Chica Andaluza December 8, 2013 at 18:15 #

I think I prefer cooking a whole belly but sometimes the strips make a change. And now I’m going to worry about you not having a smoke alarm 😦

• Mad Dog December 8, 2013 at 19:28 #

It doesn’t worry me – the world functioned without smoke alarms for thousands of years. Kitchens don’t normally catch fire unless you are cooking and if you are cooking you are normally in the kitchen or close by 🙂

• Chica Andaluza December 8, 2013 at 22:38 #

True – and I personally have a long track record of setting things on fire. Usually tea towels but the other day I was stripping a door and forgot I had painted it with paint stripper and then put the blow torch on it – it was all rather dramatic but quickly under control 😉

• Mad Dog December 8, 2013 at 22:43 #

That’s it exactly – you were there. IMHO kitchen smoke detectors are primarily for people who come home from the pub, put food on to cook, then promptly fall asleep. When it comes to cooking supper and putting food into hot fat or oil, smoke detectors turn into a PITA – Peter and the Wolf 😉

• Chica Andaluza December 8, 2013 at 22:46 #

🙂 Mind you, my mum wouldn’t agree if you talk to her about the day her kitchen went on fire from the chip pan.Everyone swears blind they each turned the gas off and in the middle of all the drama my cousin went into labour. Don’t think the smoke alarm could have helped much though and she ended up with a nicer kitchen, no one was hurt and we finished the day with a new little baby girl in the family!

• Mad Dog December 9, 2013 at 01:57 #

There you go 😉

4. restlessjo December 8, 2013 at 18:28 #

It sounds great but there’s no way I can get Mick to eat fat, no matter how crisp. He’d just cut it into bits and leave it! Dead loss, huh? 😦

5. narf77 December 8, 2013 at 18:45 #

Back in the day, pork was my FAVOURITE meat. I adore crisp pork fat but alas, I appear to store it incredibly well. That is why I started out on the vego route, I like fitting through doors ;). This recipe looks delish. Might pass it on to my sister 🙂

• Chica Andaluza December 8, 2013 at 18:51 #

Hee hee – probably the same for me but I just knock a wall down now so that I can fit through 😉 The roasted veggies were good even without the meat!

• narf77 December 8, 2013 at 18:56 #

Roasted veggies are art…I truly appreciate their beauty :). I love the smell of roasting pork and have to leave the room because a vegan salivating is a sad and sorry sight ;). Knock down a wall you say? We HAVE been talking about getting rid of that pantry…

• Chica Andaluza December 8, 2013 at 18:57 #

I’ll be round with my sledgehammer!

• narf77 December 8, 2013 at 19:26 #

😉

6. Amanda December 8, 2013 at 21:41 #

Wow. This dish doesn’t mess around. Pork belly! I mostly see this in asian restaurants, but I love the twist you put on it. Mustard powder, pimenton, olive oil. I cannot imagine how good this tastes and smells!!! YUM.

• Chica Andaluza December 8, 2013 at 22:40 #

We eat a lot of pork belly – it lends itself to lots of different types of cuisines!

7. Shanna Koenigsdorf Ward December 8, 2013 at 22:57 #

This looks, GREAT… those roasted veggies, MMM. Best, Shanna

8. cecilia December 9, 2013 at 00:29 #

oh this sounds scrumptious.. I have to find some pork belly..oh that’s right, there are some running about in my field!! c

• Chica Andaluza December 9, 2013 at 11:14 #

There certainly are a few porkers in your field!

• cecilia December 9, 2013 at 14:22 #

Bloody Plonkers.. morning tanya!.. c

• Chica Andaluza December 9, 2013 at 16:16 #

Plonkers – that was the word I was looking for!

9. Eha December 9, 2013 at 01:01 #

Loud laughter at Celi’s comment! Yep, one provider could even be seen on this morning’s photo 🙂 ! Also basically agree with Mad: I live in a ‘gated’ community and grounds managers actually come and replace one’s smoke detectors every little while – amazing how quickly most of us have our stepladders under the thingamajig to remove said noisy batteries!! Oh, lovely pork with that paprika and mustard!!! Lovely snow too 🙂 !

10. Diane Thorn December 9, 2013 at 01:14 #

Pork belly used to be a staple in my diet. I’d only need to cook one good-sized strip for me because hubby doesn’t like pork much. (Used to keep pigs on the farm and saw what they wallowed in)
    Your recipe is a new and delicious sounding variation so I’ll be cooking it soon.
    Now when was I going to the butchers? 🙂

11. Tandy | Lavender and Lime December 9, 2013 at 04:56 #

What a great way to do them! Here a lot of homes have indoor barbecues 🙂

• Chica Andaluza December 9, 2013 at 11:20 #

I would love an indoor barbecue – what am amazingly good idea!

12. Food,Photography & France December 9, 2013 at 11:15 #

Very good comfort food…..fabulous flavours..

13. Our Growing Paynes December 9, 2013 at 17:00 #

Wow, this sounds wonderful. Stick to your ribs good food.

14. TheDorsetFinca December 9, 2013 at 17:55 #

The boys in this household are obsessed with pork belly! I will have to leave this recipe open on the kitchen table and see what responses it elicits! 🙂

15. themateriallady December 9, 2013 at 19:39 #

I wish the Management would eat pork belly. I will have to work out a sensible way of having this for myself. (Yes, another ‘Jack Spratt’ – but I will eat just about anything that will stay still on the plate!)

16. kathryningrid December 10, 2013 at 02:21 #

Loverly. Addictive, I’m sure, but I’m still willing to risk it!

17. spicegirlfla December 10, 2013 at 02:32 #

You always have the most interesting dishes!! I’ve never had pork belly and I wonder if I can find it around here!

• Chica Andaluza December 10, 2013 at 08:48 #

I guess I just take it for granted – it may be sold under the name of pancetta slices?

18. ChgoJohn December 10, 2013 at 07:55 #

Thank you for this recipe, Tanya. Although I’ve finally found a butcher with whole pork belly on-hand, everywhere else sells it in strips or chunks. I can get a whole slab if I order it. The very few recipes I’ve found that use strips aren’t at all appealing to me. Yours, though, with the root vegetables roasting in that pig fat, sounds delicious. With temperatures in single digits here, firing up the oven is a great idea for a few reasons. 😉

• Chica Andaluza December 10, 2013 at 08:55 #

I think it was a comment from you a while back that made me realise that not everyone can buy whole pork belly easily. It was a simple dish but packed full of flavour and those left over veggies the next day….mmmm! Hope the building work is going ok!

• ChgoJohn December 10, 2013 at 09:13 #

Thanks, Tanya. The work is completed and Max is once again patrolling his yard. All is right in the world. 🙂

• Chica Andaluza December 10, 2013 at 10:17 #

That’s a big relief for you all!

19. TBM December 10, 2013 at 10:07 #

For some reason I have a hard time getting over the word belly with this one. I don’t know why it matters. Maybe I should just call it pork.

• Chica Andaluza December 10, 2013 at 10:18 #

You could call it pancetta (which in Italian means little belly but sounds much nicer)!

20. Rachel December 10, 2013 at 15:54 #

Love that it is snowing in (on?) your blog. Hope that’s all the snow I see, though – it has been super cold here (central Texas) at least *for* here and we are ready for some “cooking outside” weather!! Mmmmmm… I can almost smell this dish!

• Chica Andaluza December 11, 2013 at 15:33 #

I’m loving the snow too as we won’t have any for real here!

21. JC June 25, 2014 at 14:01 #

Thank you for sharing this recipe. It was very delicious 🙂