Morrete de Setas – Mushrooms with Potatoes

24 Jan

If like me, you are the sort of person who is not put off by strange translations into your native tongue of a dish you encounter on your travels, this one is for you. Coming across this dish in a small local restaurant near our mountains in Southern Spain, you’d probably read something like “Mushrooms to the wild, cooking with soft potatoes of the saffron dressing up in vinegar”. Or some such bizarre description.

It doesn’t even look that pretty, as the end dish is indeed “with soft potatoes” and has rather a look of mush about it. What you would be served with, however, is a dish with simple ingredients combined in a way you’ve probably never tasted before, and a flavour that makes you say “ooh, that’s so good…I really didn’t expect that”!

Morrete de Setas 004

Around our neck of the woods (or Up Our Mountain), the most commonly eaten mushrooms are Oyster mushrooms. We have grown them ourselves in the past and Big Man would often come home with a crate of them for me to turn into dishes like Mixed Mushrooms with Cinnamon and Lemon or Braised Mushrooms. This dish is made across Andalucía but is probably known by other names outside of the radius of our local villages. Here’s our local version, the simplicity of the ingredients hides a wonderful combination of flavours. It is vegetarian/vegan and can be served alone as a tapa or starter, or alongside other dishes as part of a meal. A poached or fried egg is a wonderful accompaniment.

Ingredients (to serve 6-8 as a tapa, 4 as a starter or 2 as a hearty main course)

• 1 kg peeled and cubed potatoes (cut into small cubes)
  • About 600g of thickly sliced mushrooms (I used a mix of Shitake, Chestnut and Forestiere Mushrooms)
  • Olive oil for frying
  • 1 level teaspoon of sweet pimentón
  • ½ level teaspoon of hot pimentón
  • A pinch of saffron or turmeric (in Spain though you find they usually use food colouring)
  • About 60g of stale bread
  • 2 cloves of garlic, peeled
  • About 240ml water
  • About 2 tablespoons of white wine vinegar
  • Salt and pepper

You will need 2 frying pans (or you will need to cook the potatoes and mushrooms separately. In one pan with about ½ cm of oil to cover the bottom, slowly cook the potatoes until they are soft and just starting to brown at the edges. Mix occasionally as they cook. You don’t want them to be crispy like chips.

In another pan, add a little oil, the mushrooms and some salt and cover with a lid. Slowly braise the mushrooms until soft and releasing their juices. The potatoes and mushrooms both take about 20 minutes to cook.

Meanwhile, put the bread, water, garlic, spices and 1 tablespoon of vinegar into a blender jug and blend (I use a hand blender) until you get a mix which resembles slightly runny porridge.

Drain the potatoes from the oil and add to the mushrooms and pour in the bread/water mix. Cook gently for about 10 minutes until it all thickens up (you may need to add a splash more water). Just before serving, taste and season and add a further tablespoon of white wine vinegar. Think of the resulting taste in the same way that you would use lemon juice to “lift” a dish.

Serve with plenty of crusty bread and if you’re feeling a bit cheffy, some chopped parsley on top makes it look pretty. But don’t tell the local village ladies I said that as they’d be horrified at any such nonsense.

49 Responses to “Morrete de Setas – Mushrooms with Potatoes”

1. Soup Guru January 24, 2015 at 17:07 #

Didn’t know this dish, but sounds wonderful! Amazing how local gastronomy changes across the peninsula…😄

• Chica Andaluza January 26, 2015 at 17:01 #

It varies so much and each area (or even village) is so proud of what it produces!

2. Mad Dog January 24, 2015 at 17:16 #

I’m suffering form a tortilla and salsa brava bocadillo overdose, but I think I could manage a couple of forkfuls of morrete de setas – it looks delicious! I’ve seen a few people at farmers’ markets selling mushroom implanted logs which a friend of mine tells me are very good. I think they might go very well with potatoes and saffron 😉

• Chica Andaluza January 26, 2015 at 17:02 #

Hope you’ve now recovered from the tortilla and salsa brava overdose 😉 Now you’ll have space for some of this! Will have to see if we can track down some of those mushroom logs here….

• Mad Dog January 26, 2015 at 17:29 #

Ha ha – yes! I haven’t seen the logs for a while, but I would imagine they are seasonal, so perhaps they sell them in the Autumn. This looks interesting, you find your own log and buy the spore kit for under £10:

• Chica Andaluza January 26, 2015 at 19:19 #

In Spain they only seem to sell then in the autumn. You find the most interesting things for us to look at!

• Mad Dog January 26, 2015 at 19:38 #

That’s good, but it was the topic of conversation that made me think of it 🙂

• Chica Andaluza January 26, 2015 at 21:15 #

And we thank you!

• Mad Dog January 26, 2015 at 21:27 #

🙂

3. cookinginsens January 24, 2015 at 17:29 #

This looks both pretty and delicious. I’m going to print out the recipe to try later. Thanks Chica. I also want some of Mad Dog’s mushroom implanted logs 🙂

4. bitsandbreadcrumbs January 24, 2015 at 17:55 #

Love the color! I would never have thought of this combo of ingredients, but it sounds like it would be so delicious, especially using the saffron and not just food coloring! 🙂

• Chica Andaluza January 26, 2015 at 17:03 #

Most Spaniards use food colouring at home (not us though!) and it’s considered quite normal. I’m not keen on it though L

5. narf77 January 24, 2015 at 19:32 #

Simple, amazing, full of the promise of some serious flavour bombing going on and perfect for narf. You did it Ms Chica! I love this kind of thing and the more mushy it is, the better ;). Scooped up with gorgeous fresh bread this would be a meal fit for a king (or a narf 😉 ). What a lovely share and love that picture of Alfie half in, half out of his bed, knackered (and no doubt stinky) from his week next door 😉

• Chica Andaluza January 26, 2015 at 17:05 #

This one was definitely with you in mind 😉 Hadn’t seen that picture of Alfi in a while and it had us in stitches!!

• narf77 January 26, 2015 at 17:14 #

Dogs do the funniest things 😉

6. Eha January 25, 2015 at 01:39 #

Have learned something again! Somehow had the obviously totally incorrect idea that mushrooms implanted in logs were ‘an Asian thing’: quite expensive here and oft unavailable . . .now I know better 🙂 ! Altho’ I but rarely eat potatoes this recipe makes me want to go to that bag at the back of the pantry cupboard . . .the taste seems most attractive!!

• Chica Andaluza January 26, 2015 at 17:06 #

It’s a really unsual flavour…I’d very a very sad person without potatoes in my life L

• Eha January 27, 2015 at 02:42 #

Yes well, comes from all the 25 + years of studying nutrition on top of medicine: one tends to apply it to oneself also 😀 !!! I do buy them 2-3 times a year and steam in jackets!!!!

• Chica Andaluza January 27, 2015 at 09:32 #

Aha – you have an interesting background! In Spanish cooking we use a lot of hot or cold boiled potatoes which are cooked in their skins – will have to try steaming them.

7. cathyandchucky January 25, 2015 at 03:37 #

Potatoes and mushrooms. Two of my favorite foods 😀

8. Tandy | Lavender and Lime January 25, 2015 at 06:09 #

I love mushrooms so this dish is a winner as far as I’m concerned. Thanks for the heads up about the food colouring 🙂

• Chica Andaluza January 26, 2015 at 17:07 #

Yes, the food colouring is widely used in Spain and not at all frowned on – if I don’t have saffron I’d rather use turmeric which changes the flavour a little but not in a bad way!

9. Margot @ Gather and Graze January 25, 2015 at 06:25 #

This looks like perfect winter comfort food… delicious!

10. themateriallady January 25, 2015 at 12:12 #

That looks wonderful, and also would make a good dish alongside a grilled meat. It will be added to the stack of options from your blog!

11. A Famished Foodie January 25, 2015 at 19:57 #

Yum! I love anything with mushrooms in it.

12. restlessjo January 26, 2015 at 09:05 #

Love mushrooms, love spuds- nothing to lose! 🙂

13. Food,Photography & France January 26, 2015 at 14:53 #

Very, very good idea. Love the “translation”….:)

• Chica Andaluza January 26, 2015 at 17:10 #

The translations we come across are often quite hysterical – one local restaurant serves “corns” which bizarrely is tripe so not sure which sounds more scary!

14. Amanda January 27, 2015 at 21:02 #

This sounds delicious and like something I’d make again and again. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe! Yum.

15. Piglet in Portugal January 31, 2015 at 19:44 #

This sounds a really tasty meal! I bought a jar of mixed mushrooms in Lidls awhile back which I’ve been wondering what to do with. Seems like I’ve just found the perfect recipe!

• Chica Andaluza February 3, 2015 at 22:59 #

I’ve bought those jars of mushrooms – very good in risotto too!

16. Karen February 1, 2015 at 00:41 #

I would never have thought of this combination but I will now. 🙂

17. Maulana Angga February 9, 2015 at 09:16 #

I could smell her from here, it looks interesting and wonderful. Thanks for sharing this awesome recipe. I will try another time

18. abdunnavi March 14, 2015 at 11:09 #

what delicious,….
    nice picture

19. stenen keukenwerkblad April 4, 2015 at 10:07 #

This blog post really grabbed my attention. With that said I am going to subscribe. Therefore I will get more updates on what you have to say. Please keep writing as I want to learn more.

20. Burhan April 19, 2015 at 00:34 #

The food was delicious, I so want to cook yourself, but do not feel confident fear bad, hehe

21. obatherbalpalingmurah August 24, 2015 at 09:13 #

Potato and Mushroom indeed these two materials already good. Moreover cooked together, I think it would be more enjoyable.

22. Suci Purnamasari March 4, 2016 at 04:17 #

hmm yummyyyy 😀

1. Arriba! Arriba! | Cooking in Sens - January 28, 2015

[…] latest “drool worthy” recipe is Morrete de Setas or mushrooms and potatoes, a tapas plate from Southern Spain.  It is so good, yet quick and easy […]