Setas Asadas – Fire Roasted Oyster Mushrooms with Poached Eggs

17 Mar

I have mentioned previously that we have some mushrooms growing, intentionally I might add, in our garage.  It was a slow start, but we are now getting regular supplies of oyster mushrooms to enjoy.

After a week away, they had gone a little crazy, and some of the ordinary mushrooms which we are also growing had turned into monsters which I´ll chop up and use in sauces or soups.

Back from London with not much in the fridge, we had to “make do and mend”, as my grandmother used to say.  The fire was blazing merrily, so we put some of the larger mushrooms onto our parilla (which is a grill which you can sandwich things between) and cooked them over the embers of the fire. You could do this over a barbecue or even under the grill (for grilling I´d recommend you brush them lightly with oil first).

Once they were done we seasoned them with Maldon sea salt, freshly ground pepper then drizzled some olive oil over and added a little squeeze of lemon juice. With a softly poached egg and a plate of jamon we enjoyed a simple supper but felt that we had dined like Kings!

PS. Our dogs Luna and Alfi stayed with our lovely neighbours while we were away. Our dogs love being there and they get loads of walks.  It seems this week they discovered the joys of goat manure and spent lots of time playing in it, which was much less fun for our neighbours who had to deal with two very stinky dogs.  Alfi is now in need of a major haircut and they were both happily exhausted yesterday when we got them home.  I took this snap of them “recovering” from their week of fun whilst trying not to laugh too much at Alfi´s lack of energy to get either into or out of the bed.

68 Responses to “Setas Asadas – Fire Roasted Oyster Mushrooms with Poached Eggs”

1. chaiselongue1 March 17, 2012 at 11:08 #

That does look like a feast! What a treat to come home to, although I’d just have the jamon and olive oil and perhaps a little garlic, as I’m not too keen on poached eggs. Your dogs sound and look as though they’ve had a great time playing in the goat manure!

• Chica Andaluza March 17, 2012 at 17:05 #

It was a feast, and would probably have been enough without the eggs. However we came home to a mountain of eggs our busy chicks had laid last week so we are working our way through those we haven´t given away yet! The dogs had a wonderful week getting grubby 😉

2. thecompletecookbook March 17, 2012 at 11:42 #

LOVE your shrooms and poached egg! Delicious! Precious pups catching up on clearly some needed R&R.

• Chica Andaluza March 17, 2012 at 17:06 #

Food of the gods! And those pups…it´s a dog´s life so they say 😉

3. TheDorsetFinca March 17, 2012 at 12:25 #

You are so lucky to have a garage full of mushrooms! I tried last year to plant a log infused with oyster mushroom spores but unfortunately nothing appeared – I think it dried out. You have inspired me to give it another go!

• Chica Andaluza March 17, 2012 at 17:06 #

They do need an awful lot of water (well, they need it daily) and patience. Just when you think nothing will ever happen, up they pop!

4. gardenfreshtomatoes March 17, 2012 at 12:28 #

How right you were – this sounds like a perfect use of mushrooms!
    I’m married to a guy who starts drooling if you *say* Poached Eggs.
    Hope our mushroom patch is productive!

• Chica Andaluza March 17, 2012 at 17:07 #

Me too – poached are my favourite but Big Man likes fried. At least they´re both super easy to cook! Fingers crossed for your mushroom patch 🙂

5. promenadeplantings March 17, 2012 at 13:05 #

I’ve never tried growing mushrooms, so I need to work out a way and place for them. And what a perfect homecoming meal. As to stinky dogs, they look very content!!

• Chica Andaluza March 17, 2012 at 17:09 #

Anywhere dark is good – cupboard under the stairs, shed? Those were two very happy dogs, but we had to give Alfi a haircut today. He looks like a lamb now!

6. cookinginsens March 17, 2012 at 13:07 #

Even the title sounds good! Wonderful plate.

• Chica Andaluza March 17, 2012 at 17:09 #

Thank you – anything with wood roasted or fire roasted in the title is likely to get people going!

7. Food,Photography & France March 17, 2012 at 13:26 #

Now that IS delicious – good move.

• Chica Andaluza March 17, 2012 at 17:09 #

Sometimes the simple things in life are what hit the spot best!

8. ChgoJohn March 17, 2012 at 13:35 #

I envy you your mushrooms, Madam. Mom & Dad once had a home with a room in its cellar that had a dirt floor. They used it to grow mushrooms. And what is it with the dogs this year? Your guys “found” manure; my Max “met” a skunk last weekend in my yard. Kids, eh?

• Chica Andaluza March 17, 2012 at 17:10 #

Mushroom envy eh?! They are very tasty, I have to say! Oh dear, stinky Max too…bet that was way worse tan goat poo smell!

9. Mad Dog March 17, 2012 at 13:40 #

Fantastic mushrooms and perfect poached egg 😉

• Chica Andaluza March 17, 2012 at 17:11 #

Thanks MD! I guess I´m lucky that I can use eggs laid a few hours earlier which always helps in keeping them together as they poach…

10. ceciliag March 17, 2012 at 13:50 #

That is a hysterical shot of your worn out dogs! And Make do and Mend! I have never heard that saying but I want it!! c

• Chica Andaluza March 17, 2012 at 16:41 #

I had to take a few shots as I was shaking with laughter at the time! Oh yes, Make Do and Mend – recycling really, it just wasn´t called that. No waste, throw nothing away, and use everything in the store cupboard 😉 There´s even a book called this on Amazon (I bought it!) which is full of household tips from WWII and another one with recipes. Great fun to read!

11. zannyro March 17, 2012 at 14:28 #

Looks fabulous!

12. Just A Smidgen March 17, 2012 at 16:18 #

I thought your mushrooms looked like beautiful blossoms!! Gorgeous and lush! But your dogs stole my heart today.. all goaty and exhausted in blissful resting state.. sweet little pups:)

• Chica Andaluza March 17, 2012 at 16:37 #

Ah thank you! They have recovered today and are full of beans again 🙂

13. Karista March 17, 2012 at 18:09 #

Love the recipe but I have to tell you, those sweet puppies steal the show! 🙂 So cute!

• Chica Andaluza March 17, 2012 at 19:30 #

I am a bit biased because I love them but they are pretty cute 😉

14. spree March 17, 2012 at 19:07 #

brilliant Tanya, I love how you make do! and so very good to have you back!! and clearly, those sweet pups are as happy as heaven too.

• Chica Andaluza March 17, 2012 at 19:31 #

Living so far from decent shops teaches me to “make do”! It´s good to be back and the dogs are super happy too 🙂

15. Florence March 17, 2012 at 20:07 #

Hi Tanya. The dish looks delicious. The mushrooms growing in the garage look fabulous. Might have to pick your brains about these next time I see you. I thought it would be difficult to grow them.
    Regards Florence x

• Chica Andaluza March 17, 2012 at 23:19 #

No problem – but you´ll probably have to wait a while until you can buy them again 😦

16. Sawsan@ Chef in disguise March 17, 2012 at 22:09 #

I was going to say that I love mushrooms and that sounds like the perfect meal to me but I couldn’t get over how cute your exhausted dogs look

• Chica Andaluza March 17, 2012 at 23:19 #

Those cheeky little pups – always stealing the show!

17. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide March 18, 2012 at 00:11 #

Ha, the big dog always loses the bed! Those oysters are making me seriously jealous.

• Chica Andaluza March 18, 2012 at 10:05 #

It´s true – but he had a haircut yesterday so today he´s fighting for his rights!

18. bitsandbreadcrumbs March 18, 2012 at 02:10 #

What adorable and adorably exhausted pups! I, too, am quite envious of your mushrooms…and your egg poaching ability for that matter. Doesn’t look like a make do and mend meal to me!

• Chica Andaluza March 18, 2012 at 09:25 #

Thank you Betsy..those pups are getting lots of attention! Maybe less Make Do and Mend and more Make the Most of 😉

19. ....RaeDi March 18, 2012 at 02:26 #

What a lovely dinner fit for a king that is for sure. Your eggs look perfect! Love your mushrooms… hope I can talk T into doing that! The dogs… how precious!

• Chica Andaluza March 18, 2012 at 09:26 #

The mushrooms are so good done over the fire…the flavour stays very intense. Bet my pups would love to meet Ninnie, they love making new friends!

20. Charles March 18, 2012 at 03:12 #

Ooooooh, I had no idea you guys were into mycology, Chica – I’d love to get into it if I had more space. I’ve been reading all about cultivating button mushrooms and taking spore prints and so forth. Unfortunately I’ll need to wait until we buy a house one day before I can put that into practice – it must be so fun though. The mushrooms look delicious – both raw and cooked, and I love the sound of this recipe… fire-roasted… yummy!

• Chica Andaluza March 18, 2012 at 09:29 #

Well, I wouldn´t say we were exactly experts although we (well, Big Man) sometimes go mushroom hunting. These are kits which are sold here every autumn at about 13 euros, so we usually buy a few as mushrooms are not that easy to get hold of in the local shops here. Which is bizarre!

21. Calico StretchEmily March 18, 2012 at 04:09 #

I love mushrooms. Yum. Yum. Yum. Pity the rest of my family are not so inclined but as I do the cooking they have to pick em out if they wanna avoid them. So there. They love eggs though ….

• Chica Andaluza March 18, 2012 at 10:09 #

Every so often, the cook is allowed to put in whatever they like and leave the family to pick out the bits they don´t like I think!

22. rsmacaalay March 18, 2012 at 08:41 #

Wow how lucky you can grow those. I dont have a green finger I tried with herbs before they all died.

• Chica Andaluza March 18, 2012 at 10:07 #

You don´t have to do much apart from keep them damp and in the dark, but we do seem to be lucky and are getting a good supply of them!

23. Cassandra March 18, 2012 at 12:01 #

Yum, looks delicious. I wish I had similar goodness growing in my garage!!

24. Alli March 18, 2012 at 15:06 #

Wow, that’s an amazing crop of mushroom, we got two flushes from ours but that was it.

• Chica Andaluza March 18, 2012 at 15:22 #

Did you turn the pack over and make some more cuts? You get an extra couple of crops that way!

25. spicegirlfla March 18, 2012 at 18:27 #

I’m so amazed at the growing of mushrooms in your garage! Since I could never eat mushrooms before, I really have never learned much about them. I love how you took simple ingredients and dined like royalty! You made me want to sit right down and enjoy it with you!!
    That’s so funny with your Alfi – do they sleep together in that bed?

• Chica Andaluza March 18, 2012 at 20:09 #

It´s so great that you can eat and enjoy mushrooms now! And yes, that´s the dog´s “Day bed” where they snuggle up together and at night they have a super luxury weather proof kennel under the outside stairs where they also cuddle up together. Sometimes when they´re worn out, they take themselves off to bed without even being told…very sweet 🙂

26. Malou March 18, 2012 at 23:35 #

Wow, it is so nice to know that you grow your own oyster mushroom! I love them especially when I make the Dutch beef stew. 😉

27. Tandy March 19, 2012 at 08:26 #

Luna and Patch could be sisters – I must post a pic of her. I am amazed at your mushrooms. I will try growing them again, when we finally move into our house 🙂

• Chica Andaluza March 19, 2012 at 14:52 #

Oh do post a picture! Luna is more shy than Alfi so I have less photos of her 😦 And good luck with the mushrooms when you do get round to doing them!

28. Kate Abbott - Clifton Kitchen March 19, 2012 at 09:57 #

Egg and Mushrooms….now how yummy is that! I do love your mushroom grow bags, it is something I want to try my hand at.

• Chica Andaluza March 19, 2012 at 14:53 #

They´re so easy, you just need to be patient though (which is very hard for me)!

29. Michi March 19, 2012 at 11:19 #

Alfi is soooooo adorable. Es un peluche!! 🙂

I went “whoa” when I saw the first picture of your homegrown oyster mushrooms – they look so cool, squeezing out of the cut-out holes like that. I actually just discovered oyster mushrooms a few months ago, when I saw them at the frutería here. It was love at first bite. I usually just chop them up and cook them with chopped up avichuelas verdes, garlic, and bits of ham. I’ve never thought of eating them roasted with poached eggs. I guess they’re one of those amazing foods you can eat with just about anything. I’ll have to give them a try with other recipes. 🙂

• Chica Andaluza March 19, 2012 at 15:36 #

Yes, fried with other veggies and garlic is wonderful, or in a creamy sauce for pasta, or a tortilla de setas….

30. katyarich March 19, 2012 at 12:33 #

Great mushrooms, I’ll also try to plant some, we have plants growing in the back of our house but I never thought about it…..and it’s so good with the perfect poached egg, great pictures!

• Chica Andaluza March 19, 2012 at 15:38 #

Thanks Katya – I think they need a dark damp spot to do well. We bought the bags of straw already impregnated with spores which was so easy!

• katyarich March 19, 2012 at 17:32 #

thanks for the tip…

31. sportsglutton March 19, 2012 at 21:47 #

Homegrown mushrooms are the best. I can’t wait until we move this summer, are resettle and I can begin experimenting. Though I’m generally not a fan of oysters, I’m on an egg kick, so perhaps your method can change my mind. 🙂

• Chica Andaluza March 19, 2012 at 23:10 #

Oh that will be nice to be somewhere new! I used to think oyster mushrooms were a bit bland but the homegrown ones have quite a different flavour – almost like a steak…

32. kathryningrid March 20, 2012 at 04:12 #

Sexy: poached eggs, perfectly prepared. Sexier: same, with mushrooms. 🙂

33. narf77 January 24, 2015 at 19:32 #

HAHAHAHA! Oh that photo of the dogs steals the show Ms Chica ;). Your mushrooms are awesome. Look at the size of those big boys! (I think I just channeled Jamie Oliver! 😉 ) This blog is amazing, informative, instructive and just plain awesome Ms Chica. You guys rock 🙂

• Chica Andaluza January 26, 2015 at 17:04 #

Those pups are always stealing the limelight! Glad you liked it J

1. Morrete de Setas – Mushrooms with Potatoes | Chica Andaluza - January 24, 2015

[…] of the woods (or Up Our Mountain), the most commonly eaten mushrooms are Oyster mushrooms. We have grown them ourselves in the past and Big Man would often come home with a crate of them for me to turn into dishes like […]