Home Sweet Home

16 Mar

We´re back from a hectic but wonderful week in London, catching up with family and friends.  We were wined and dined and thoroughly spoilt, drank far too much wine, walked for miles and laughed for the entire week.

We ate broccoli grown in my parent´s London garden.

Best friend Ria made us an amazing Chicken and Leek Pie, and extra marks to her for cooking it in her sister´s kitchen as her heating and hot water weren´t working for a few days.

We spent a day walking through London.

Of course, we stopped for coffee to revive us.

We drank good old British bitter.

Cheers!

We helped our pals Donna and Craig “christen” their new home in style.

We had "Bolly" too - lucky us...hic!

Entertainment in their new home village, Lewes, was fun and quirky.

Check out those amazing sideburns!

We even managed to spend a few days down on the south coast combining business with a little relaxation.  Of course, we had to take a romantic walk along the seafront at night when a sea fog was making everything look very atmospheric. We were in St Leonard´s on Sea, where my parents have a holiday place, and also home of Promenade Plantings.

We spent a wonderful day with my parents walking around beautiful Hampton Court, one of Henry VIII´s amazing Tudor Palaces.

"Mamma & Papá Russo" - the Royal Elders of our family!

My favourite part of the Palace? Well, the Tudor Kitchens of course!

Peacock Pie anyone?!

And last night we arrived home, weary but happy.  Our case was packed with goodies….dressmaking patterns and fabric, antique carpentry tools, some vines from my father´s garden to plant here in Spain, salad seeds, a new mini baking tray… so much to look forward to.  And guess what?  When we unpacked, we found we had a stowaway.  Flat Ruthie has come to visit, so we´ll be enjoying some time with her very soon and cooking together!

Stowaway on Board!

65 Responses to “Home Sweet Home”

1. TBM March 16, 2012 at 16:26 #

Looks like you had a lot of fun. And next time if you need help with the wine or beer…let me know 🙂 Not saying that you did need help, but you never know.

• Chica Andaluza March 16, 2012 at 16:58 #

Sadly I never seem to need help but I always enjoy company! Maybe when we´re back in the summer we can all share a drink together!

• TBM March 16, 2012 at 17:11 #

I won’t turn down sharing a drink!

• Chica Andaluza March 16, 2012 at 17:29 #

You´re on!

2. Molly March 16, 2012 at 16:27 #

loving the kitchen at Hampton Court! nice post

• Chica Andaluza March 16, 2012 at 16:46 #

Thank you – they even had a huge fire going in the meat roasting kitchen!

3. spicegirlfla March 16, 2012 at 16:38 #

Welcome back! I wondered where you’ve been!! Sounds like a wonderful time with family and friends!! Love the toast to the new home, made me want to sit right down and join you all!!

• Chica Andaluza March 16, 2012 at 16:59 #

Yes, we were back in London for a week which was wonderful…exhausting though! Fortunately my pals certainly know how to “warm” a new home 🙂

4. Michi March 16, 2012 at 16:44 #

Sounds like a terrific trip home! I love visiting palaces/castles and pretending I was once an important inhabitant (one of my favorites: Palácio da Pena in Sintra, Portugal). Welcome back. 🙂

• Chica Andaluza March 16, 2012 at 17:06 #

It was great Michi but I missed Andalucía too! Have never been to Sintra, I think you did a post on it if I remember? It´s on our “to visit” list!

5. Florence March 16, 2012 at 16:58 #

Hi T, Pleased to hear you had a great time and that you got back safely. Fab photos. Lovely one of your Ma and Pa. TFS.
    Regards Florence x

• Chica Andaluza March 16, 2012 at 17:06 #

Yes, home safely, and was pleased to find the parents well and happy, if a little slower 😦 We had some fun times together.

6. sportsglutton March 16, 2012 at 17:28 #

Welcome home. Sounds like a wonderful week, but is there really such a thing as too much wine??? 🙂

• Chica Andaluza March 16, 2012 at 17:33 #

Probably not! But I like to pretend I´m being sensible 😉

• sportsglutton March 16, 2012 at 17:34 #

Sensible is enjoying as much wine as possible!!

• Chica Andaluza March 16, 2012 at 17:36 #

I am in complete agreement!

7. niasunset March 16, 2012 at 18:11 #

Welcome home, welcome wordpress home too dear Chica. Seems that you had a nice vacation with your family. Your photographs are amazing… Brokoli so beautiful… Thank you, have a nice weekend, with my love, nia

• Chica Andaluza March 16, 2012 at 18:35 #

Thank you so much Nia. I am looking forward to catching up with everyone properly!

8. promenadeplantings March 16, 2012 at 18:14 #

Yaay a great trip home! I’ve been waiting and wondering how the trip went and I can see from the photos you had a wonderful time. I can’t make up my mind which is my favourite photo, I love the one in London – a great shot!, I looove the coffees, and yes the one of you two on the prom in the dark! I have to admit we have a few of those photos too 🙂
    thanks for the shout out, and great to have you back home in Spain, getting ready to cook up a storm! Claire

• Chica Andaluza March 16, 2012 at 18:36 #

Thanks so much Claire – it was a wonderful trip and I´m glad to hear you too have some “cheesy” shots on the prom. It was a really misty afternoon and evening…the sea mist rolled in, the temperature dropped and it all looked amazing. Great to be back and I´m looking forward to getting back into the kitchen.

9. Simply Tia March 16, 2012 at 18:38 #

Looks and sounds like it was a blast Tanya!!! I’m happy you had a good time. Lovely photos.

• Chica Andaluza March 16, 2012 at 18:46 #

Thanks Tia – it was great fun but it´s good to get back to life Up our Mountain!

10. chaiselongue1 March 16, 2012 at 20:50 #

You’ve done such a lot in such a short time – wonderful, but it must be nice to be home too!

• Chica Andaluza March 16, 2012 at 20:53 #

I guess we all fall into the trap of trying to pack as much as possible into a short visit, but it was worth it. Good to be back home though!

11. gardenfreshtomatoes March 16, 2012 at 21:04 #

Oh, goodie! You’re HOME!
    Glad to hear you had a wonderful time, and got back safe and sound…

12. ceciliag March 16, 2012 at 21:16 #

oh I miss dirty old London.. thanks for the wee walk. and how awesome that you went out and did so much, i tend to stop at the wine and just hang about there!! c

• Chica Andaluza March 16, 2012 at 21:39 #

Yes, me too, it´s just a bit easier for me to get a fix! I do lubricate the wanderings with plenty of pub stops along the way – so that Big Man can appreciate the culture you understand 😉

13. ChgoJohn March 16, 2012 at 22:12 #

Sounds like you had a wonderful trip, Tanya. You not only were able to spend time with your family & friends but you and your Big Man got some alone time, too. What more could you want from a vist back home? And what a treasure trove you brought back with you! With all of those goods, it’s no wonder that Flat Ruthie was able to catch a ride unnoticed. She’s pretty crafty, that one. Welcome home!

• Chica Andaluza March 17, 2012 at 13:40 #

You´re right – we managed to squeeze in all the people we wanted to see and have a little breather all to ourselves too! That cheeky little Ruthie and I don´t remember her showing her passport 😉

14. Karen March 16, 2012 at 23:53 #

I’m so happy that you had a wonderful visit with your family and friends. Thank you for sharing with us. I love your Butterick patterns…from the envelopes, they look like they are collectibles.

• Chica Andaluza March 17, 2012 at 10:13 #

Hi Karen – it was wonderful! The two patterns are quite similar but with different tops. Both vintage reproductions and I went mad and bought one Butterick and Vogue (first time of buying a Vogue pattern for me as they are expensive ;( )!

15. Karista March 17, 2012 at 00:06 #

Looks like you had a wonderful visit! Oh and that pie looks so inviting!!

16. Michelle March 17, 2012 at 01:52 #

Such gorgeous broccoli, and welcome home!

• Chica Andaluza March 17, 2012 at 10:14 #

I´ll tell my mum and dad – they were so proud of it! Tasted wonderful too, so tender.

17. Calico Stretch March 17, 2012 at 02:57 #

Aren’t holiday’s wonderful? And London looks as cold as I remember for this time of year, though I do still miss it from time to time.

Hope the garden and livestock survived your absence!

Emily

• Chica Andaluza March 17, 2012 at 10:17 #

London was chilly some days and the day we walked around it was a little grey, but most days we managed to sit in my parent´s garden and enjoy a drink or a cup of coffee in the sunshine!

18. Lena Merrin March 17, 2012 at 03:57 #

Just a quick note to let you know that I am enjoying reading your blog so much I have nominated you for a Kreativ Blogger award.
    If you would like to participate, you can read more about it on my blog here

Thank you!

Regards,

Lena Merrin

19. TheDorsetFinca March 17, 2012 at 08:12 #

Looks like the most fantastic trip. I especially love the picture of the musical extravaganza outside of phones 4 you…! x

• Chica Andaluza March 17, 2012 at 10:18 #

Oh yes, they had a good position in the high street! They were very good, and so full of life 🙂

20. thecompletecookbook March 17, 2012 at 09:36 #

What a magical trip Tanya! Thank you for taking us a long for the walk about. Glad to have you home safe and sound.

21. fati's recipes March 17, 2012 at 12:26 #

Sorry to be irrelevant, but I love that bracelet in the first pic… gorgeous!

• Chica Andaluza March 17, 2012 at 17:07 #

I´ll tell my mum – she loves chunky, funky jewellery!

22. Mad Dog March 17, 2012 at 12:45 #

How funny – your new friend in the pink envelope went on a trip with me to the wobbly bridge and St. Pauls. It was definitely a different day though, we got sunshine 😉

• Chica Andaluza March 17, 2012 at 17:08 #

Hope she had fun…looking forward to seeing what she got up to!

23. Just A Smidgen March 17, 2012 at 17:30 #

So glad to have you back, Tanya! It looks like a wonderful holiday!! I love your vintage sewing patterns!! I can’t wait to see what you do with your little baking tray!!

• Chica Andaluza March 17, 2012 at 19:32 #

Thank you – it´s lovely to be home again! I´ll be making one of the patterns up pretty quickly (I hope) for a wedding at the end of April and I hope I´ll christen my new little baking tray soon…

24. Sawsan@ Chef in disguise March 17, 2012 at 22:04 #

Welcome back!
    Sounds like an amazing week full of fun and loved ones 🙂

25. ....RaeDi March 18, 2012 at 02:03 #

Looks as if and Big Man had a wonderful holiday! Love the pictures, the one of your parents is adorable! Look at the patterns… you will be having fun for some time to come. Welcome back!

• Chica Andaluza March 18, 2012 at 09:25 #

Thanks RaeDi! I love that one of my parents, especially as the main point of our trip was to see my dad who has been unwell but it now recovered…as you can see!

26. Charles March 18, 2012 at 02:59 #

Welcome back Chica – sounds like quite the trip – loving the look of that chicken and leek pie… and that pint of bitter… mmmmmm 😀 Incidentally, your friends, Donna and Craig, have the exact same champagne flutes as my parents – haha 🙂

• Chica Andaluza March 18, 2012 at 09:27 #

That pie was wonderful, think I´ll be making it soon! And I think Donna´s and Craig´s flutes were a gift from Donna´s mum…

27. rsmacaalay March 18, 2012 at 08:39 #

Is it right what I had read? peacock pie?

• Chica Andaluza March 18, 2012 at 10:06 #

Well, they were only fake peacocks, but it seems that in the times of Henry VIIth of England, peacock was a bit of a delicacy! Can´t imagine there would be much meat on them though 😉

28. kathryningrid March 20, 2012 at 04:11 #

Ah, to have been in your pocket! Must. Get. Back. to. England. But I’m glad you took me along for a ‘refresher’ visit in the meantime!! 🙂

• Chica Andaluza March 20, 2012 at 09:12 #

I feel like that too sometimes, but at least it´s closer and easier for me to “hop” over!

29. Bluejellybeans March 20, 2012 at 09:25 #

Hola Tanya!
    Aunque sea muy muy tarde, ¡bienvenida a casa!! Me alegro mucho de que vuestra semana en Londres haya sido tan provechosa.
    Muchas gracias por ese fantástico resumen, ha sido como estar allí 🙂

• Chica Andaluza March 20, 2012 at 09:28 #

Gracias Giovanna. Hemos regresados a case muy, muy cansados pero contentos!

30. PendleStitches March 22, 2012 at 19:14 #

I’m so glad you had such a great trip. I used to live about 15 minutes from Hampton Court Palace in Chertsey and the palace and the village next to it were one of my favorite places to visit. So pretty.

• Chica Andaluza March 22, 2012 at 19:16 #

How funny – I used to live in Walton on Thames. We were “almost” neighbours!

• PendleStitches March 22, 2012 at 20:36 #

Oh my gosh! It’s a very, very, very small world.