Gnocchi in a Creamy Asparagus Sauce

5 Mar

I have previously mentioned my love of potatoes, and being a big fan of carbs, a plate of gnocchi really hits the spot.  Today we´ll be using a packet of ready made gnocchi, as this is a speedy dish that looks gourmet, and we all like those.

Would Madam like a lifejacket with her sauce?

The sauce is enough for four.  Of course, rather than save half for another day, we used it all and had our gnocchi swimming in a delicious creamy sauce.  Shame on us.

Ingredients

• 1 packet gnocchi
  • 200ml of pouring or single cream
  • 2 tablespoons of milk
  • 1 bunch of asparagus
  • 2 tablespoons of soft blue cheese (optional but highly recommended)
  • Fresh parmesan for grating
  • Some chopped cooked lardons, bacon or jamon for sprinkling over the finished dish (or leave these out if you want to keep it vegetarian)
  • Seasoning

Start by finely chopping the asparagus, leaving the aside the tips.  Cook in salted water (not the tips) until tender and remove with a slotted spoon. Now cook the tips, drain and set aside, keeping warm if possible. You can always save the cooking liquid to add to vegetable stick or soup.

In a blender jug put the cream, milk, blue cheese (if using), asparagus (again, not those tips!) and plenty of black pepper.  Blitz until you have a smooth thick cream and put into a small saucepan.

Boil the water for your gnocchi, add salt, and cook until they float to the top.  While they are cooking, gently warm the cream sauce, taste and add salt if necessary.

When the gnocchi are done, drain and mix the cream sauce in, place into warmed serving dishes. Sprinkle over the asparagus tips and jamon or bacon (if using) and grate over some fresh parmesan.  Speedy, luxurious, delicious.

For some other wonderful suggestions of what to do with asparagus, check out RaeDi´s Pizza recipe here and Greg´s Lemon Asparagus here.

On Thursday Big Man and I are heading to London for a week to catch up with family, friends and food. My parents are probably one of the few families on the planet who don´t have internet, so although I may post again before Thursday, I won´t be able to read blogs or comment from Wednesday evening until we get back when I will do a big “catch up”.  Hopefully we´ll come home with lots of lovely foodie goodies and some good eating experiences to share with you all.

Update – I have added this recipe to Greenslove´s recipes, check out Linda´s link here at Savoring Every Bite for more info

94 Responses to “Gnocchi in a Creamy Asparagus Sauce”

1. bitsandbreadcrumbs March 5, 2012 at 23:15 #

Wow…I’d like to swim in that sauce myself! Luxurious, indeed, and if you’re gonna be decadent, I say go all the way! 🙂

2. Evie March 5, 2012 at 23:15 #

Mmmmmmm gnocchi. Mmmmmmm sauce. I love it with a cheesy leek and mushroom sauce. Yummmm. Have a fabulous time in London. It’s been lovely weather in the UK for the past couple of days. Sunny if a little chilly. I hope it holds for you.

• Chica Andaluza March 6, 2012 at 09:17 #

Mmmmmm! Indeed! Can´t wait to get over there and breathe some smelly but wonderful London air. Will pack the bikini…well, maybe not 😉

3. Mad Dog March 5, 2012 at 23:19 #

Good for you eating it all – it sounds delicious 😉

4. Florence March 5, 2012 at 23:21 #

Hi T, Looks delicious. May the sauce be with you! Have a great time in the UK.
    Regards Florence x

• Chica Andaluza March 6, 2012 at 09:16 #

Made me laugh! Let me know if there is anything else you want me to bring back for you x

5. Michi March 5, 2012 at 23:27 #

I’m making this tomorrow!!!! I miraculously have all of the ingredients! I’d been eyeing the colorful gnocchi at Merca, and finally gave in and bought it. And this weekend, D-Man and I went to Las Alpujarras and went crazy on the cheese. Aaand my MIL gave us a giant jamón leg as a belated Reyes gift (it hadn’t finished “curandose” by the drafty windowsill, but it’s good to eat now!). *Happy dance* Not to mention I love creamy pastas, and have been guilty of having my pastas swim in delicious nutmeg-sprinkled cream. 😉

Have a great trip to London!! Enjoy your time with family and friends. 🙂

6. chaiselongue1 March 5, 2012 at 23:32 #

Very comforting comfort food….it looks delicious! Enjoy your trip to London!

• Chica Andaluza March 6, 2012 at 09:16 #

Thanks Teleri – I suspect we´ll be Getting rather too much comfort and good food over the next week!

7. ChgoJohn March 6, 2012 at 00:15 #

One of my favorite gnocchi dishes is with a blue cheese or gorgonzola cream sauce but I’ve never had it with asparagus. You really did infuse this with asparagus flavor. As if that’s not enough, Tanya, you have to gild the lily with a little bacon! I will definitely be making this dish. And those packaged gnocchi aren’t bad! I was hesitant to try them at first but they were a pleasant surprise Now I use them whenever I haven’t the time — or too lazy — to make my own.

If we don’t speak before you leave, have a safe trip and I hope you have a wonderful time with your family.

• Chica Andaluza March 6, 2012 at 09:15 #

Thank John – and I agree with you. Home made gnocchi are the best but not always practical. I remember my mum making some one day when we were young (luckily just for family and not guests) and we were all sat round the kitchen table, forks in hand and she drained the gnocchi which promptly disintegrated (she´d not got the mix quite right) and just flowed through the colander liked pureed mashed potato and down the drain! A family legend now but she was so upset 😦 Looking forward to the trip, not long now!

8. Lula Harp March 6, 2012 at 01:35 #

Gnocchi has been on my to-do list for the last few weeks! I just love a good dish of gnocchi. I just haven’t had the time. You may have lit the fire I need to get on it!

• Chica Andaluza March 6, 2012 at 09:12 #

I love having some on standby in the firdge as they are so quick – even if you just serve them with oil or butter and grated cheese. Yum!

9. spicegirlfla March 6, 2012 at 01:38 #

Ooh Tanya, this is heavenly!! That sauce is to die for! Carbs are so my downfall…I do love them so!! I do hope you add this to our greenslove bloghop! It’s a perfect recipe! and for me, it has all the flavors I love, asparagus, blue cheese, bacon…yum!!

• Chica Andaluza March 6, 2012 at 09:06 #

Thanks Linda – yes, damn those carbs! Will see if I can work out how to add the link…wish me luck 😉

10. thekitchenchaotic March 6, 2012 at 02:12 #

I’m always looking for a new gnocchi recipe and this looks great!

11. Rufus' Food and Spirits Guide March 6, 2012 at 03:15 #

I too love the potatoes. Love, love, love… Hmm, where was I? This looks amazing and thanks for the shout out.

• Chica Andaluza March 6, 2012 at 09:12 #

You´re welcome! And I think most of us lurve the potatoes 😉

12. Purely.. Kay March 6, 2012 at 04:55 #

I’ve always wanted to try gnocchi but never got around to actually. This looks so delicious. Very comforting indeed

• Chica Andaluza March 6, 2012 at 09:11 #

Oh you must – if you like potato and pasta, you´ll love them as it´s like a magic mix of the two!

13. Tandy March 6, 2012 at 06:14 #

Lovely sauce to go with the gnocchi. Have a super fun time in London 🙂

14. cookinginsens March 6, 2012 at 07:01 #

It looks and sounds delicious!

15. TheDorsetFinca March 6, 2012 at 08:08 #

My husband is permanently telling me about the days spent making gnocchi with his Grandmother. Although, she was of the mind that if you didn’t have 4 servings, then you didn’t really like her cooking and your plate of food would end up in the sink!

• Chica Andaluza March 6, 2012 at 09:09 #

I like his grandmother – and isn´t there a culture where, if you eat everything on your plate, it is taken as a sign you are still hungry and they keep filling it up!

• TheDorsetFinca March 6, 2012 at 13:28 #

That sounds about right! Very difficult with her 7 course meals… Makes me want to reach for the Rennies! x

16. promenadeplantings March 6, 2012 at 08:27 #

Gnocchi are a favourite, and your recipe sounds fab, I’ve never tried them with an asparagus sauce before now. And now I WANT to! You must be off soon?

• Chica Andaluza March 6, 2012 at 09:08 #

Asparagus is so good, but I have to say (for me) the short but sweet English Asparagus season is the best! Yes, we go on Thursday – I am busy working out how many chorizos and cheeses I can get into our case (very few clothes) and now everyone wants lemons from our tree!

• promenadeplantings March 7, 2012 at 12:05 #

So funny! I know I’ve travelled with a few odd things, fresh home grown leeks and parsnips was one from last year 🙂

17. The Spain Scoop - Scoopette March 6, 2012 at 08:59 #

This looks yummy, and not possible in my current low-fat diet!

• Chica Andaluza March 6, 2012 at 09:06 #

I know what you mean – I made this just before deciding I needed to shift a few kilos 😉

18. Bluejellybeans March 6, 2012 at 10:06 #

Fantástica receta Tanya!
    Me encantan los espárragos verdes. ¡Qué ilusión lo de tu viaje! Espero que lo paséis muy bien los dos.
    Besos,
    Giovanna

• Chica Andaluza March 6, 2012 at 15:51 #

Muchas gracias Giovanna – ¡tenemos muchísimas ganas de ver a mi familia!

19. themateriallady March 6, 2012 at 10:41 #

Now I can’t wait for the UK asparagus to arrive. We wait for it every year and then gorge on it. And now I have another way of eating it!
    Thanks T!
    (I hope you enjoy your time in London)

• Chica Andaluza March 6, 2012 at 15:51 #

It´s the best! Maybe I´ll get some when I get to London – but I think it´s too early 😦

20. TBM March 6, 2012 at 10:45 #

I love gnocchi! Just love it!

21. fati's recipes March 6, 2012 at 11:19 #

Chica, it’s like you’re reading into my fridge… the other day I bough a bunch of asparagus because I’ve never tried it before (shock horror) and I still don’t know what to do with them. Thanks for all the ideas and links, tomorrow is the big day (since I’ll be using them tomorrow) … so I’ve got these last few precious hours to decide…
    That sauce is looking at me teasingly.. but I don’t have the blue cheese which I really want to put in there… I’ll just have to wait and see…..

• Chica Andaluza March 6, 2012 at 15:53 #

I hope you enjoy it – I´m sure you will! Looking forward to seeing what you eventually decide to make 😉

22. Heather @ SugarDish(Me) March 6, 2012 at 13:34 #

I love love love asparagus. And the blue cheese sounds amazing. I think I might try this… and maybe add a sprinkling of chopped pecans 🙂 Happy and safe travels!

23. georgiecakes March 6, 2012 at 16:40 #

I love carbs too. I love gnocchi. I love asparagus. I love cream sauce. It doesn’t get any better than this.

24. Just A Smidgen March 6, 2012 at 17:31 #

I definitely want to try this.. as I read through your ingredients I kept thinking, yes.. yes.. yes.. I love everything in this and the flavors would be wonderful! Not to mention time-saving without making the gnocchi!! xo Smidge

• Chica Andaluza March 6, 2012 at 22:07 #

I love it too when I read a recipe I like and then find myself thinking – ooh, I have everything I need to make this 🙂

25. cjdelgrosso March 6, 2012 at 19:16 #

The color of that sauce is gorgeous! There is nothing quite like handmade gnocchi for my Italian eyes. Great recipe and beautiful post. This may be a candidate for my best of WordPress reblog this week!

• Chica Andaluza March 6, 2012 at 22:06 #

Thanks CJ! Glad you liked it, it really was quick, easy and very tasty 🙂

26. Charles March 6, 2012 at 20:44 #

I adore gnocchi – it’s one of the first things I made for my wife-to-be and it’s probably one of my favourite meals. I do think it has to be absolutely smothered in sauce, and a good cheese sauce is always wonderful. I love the sound of the asparagus added in – we haven’t got any here yet… will need to wait a few months.

• Chica Andaluza March 6, 2012 at 22:04 #

Ah, romantic memories – you won her heart with your cooking!

27. ....RaeDi March 6, 2012 at 22:12 #

Tanya, absolutely beautiful and it must have tasted like heaven, it looks so good! Thank you so much for the mention… thank was so kind of you!

• Chica Andaluza March 6, 2012 at 22:51 #

You are most, most welcome – think we´ve been inspiring each other this week!

28. Christina March 7, 2012 at 04:02 #

Have fun in London! This gnocchi dish sounds great! 🙂

29. Eva kitcheninspirations.wordpress.com March 7, 2012 at 04:17 #

What an extravagent dinner, so creamy and delicious. I can just taste it. Gnocchi is really one of my all time favourite dishes, although we don’t have it often. I’ve got a small container of mashed sweet potato in the fridge, I think it’s calling out to be made into gnocchi! Thanks for the inspiration!!

• Chica Andaluza March 7, 2012 at 08:49 #

What a fantastic idea to make sweet potato gnocchi – would never have thought of it!

30. rsmacaalay March 7, 2012 at 06:49 #

I did not like gnocchi that much but I guess with that sauce it would taste awesome

• Chica Andaluza March 7, 2012 at 08:49 #

They can be quite heavy and stodgy…maybe you should try making your own, bet you´d love them!

31. Sawsan@ Chef in disguise March 7, 2012 at 07:57 #

Gnocchi has been on my must try recipe list forever, I love potatoes too and I just know I’ll enjoy it.
    your recipe today is a work or art. I have a friend who is in love with asparagus and blue cheese, I will make this for her when she comes over.
    Have a safe trip my friend and enjoy your visit to London

• Chica Andaluza March 7, 2012 at 08:51 #

Thank you so much Sawsan for your lovely words. I guess I take for granted some things like gnocchi, but thinking about it I could only buy them here a few years ago – before that I always made them (much nicer though!). Am just off to pack now 🙂

32. Rachel March 7, 2012 at 13:25 #

Oh yum to the yum! Have a safe and wonderful trip and hurry home – I miss you already!

• Chica Andaluza March 7, 2012 at 13:31 #

Miss you too! And I love “yum to the yum”..wonderful 🙂

33. zannyro March 7, 2012 at 15:30 #

Sounds divine!!! Heavenly!

• Chica Andaluza March 7, 2012 at 15:46 #

Well thank you so much! Lovely to have a new subscriber and I hope you continue to enjoy the blog. Welcome 🙂

34. sportsglutton March 7, 2012 at 21:15 #

gnocchi, asparagus, and bacon in a blue cheese sauce….what’s not to love!

35. Simply Tia March 8, 2012 at 14:22 #

I have yet to make gnocchi but something about them just keeps calling to me. This looks wonderful Tanya!

Do have a fantastic time in London! We’ll miss you.

36. Karen March 8, 2012 at 21:20 #

I know you will have a wonderful time with your family and friends. I’ll be thinking about your gnocchi the whole time you are gone.

• Chica Andaluza March 16, 2012 at 17:26 #

Back now and it was wonderful!

• Karen March 16, 2012 at 17:41 #

Welcome home…I know you must have had a great time.

• Chica Andaluza March 16, 2012 at 17:53 #

Thanks!

37. Simply Tia March 9, 2012 at 20:04 #

I’m missing you. Hurry and come back 😦

Hope you’re having a great time in London.

• Chica Andaluza March 16, 2012 at 17:27 #

Ah, thanks! I missed all this too, but am back now and catching up slowly 🙂

38. Elizabeth @Mango_Queen March 11, 2012 at 03:15 #

What a delicious gnocchi-asparagus sauce. I love this combo! Thanks for sharing the #greenslove with us!

• Chica Andaluza March 15, 2012 at 23:42 #

Thank you – and thanks for visiting and commenting!

39. Lisa {Smart Food and Fit} March 12, 2012 at 00:01 #

Mmm, I love gnocchi but even better with asparagus! Stopping by from greenslove bloghop!

• Chica Andaluza March 15, 2012 at 23:43 #

I agree, they were very good! Thanks for stopping by 🙂

40. spree March 12, 2012 at 00:20 #

Oh Tanya, I was out of town and unable to check emails and read post for several days and didn’t get the chance to wish you bon voyage and happy trails! So many already have though so I’ll just wait (im)patiently for your return. You’ll be missed, but I’m so happy you’re “home” and having a heart-happy visit with family and friends!!! See you soon! xo

• Chica Andaluza March 16, 2012 at 17:27 #

Thanks Spree – I missed the blogging and touching base with everyone while I was away. We had a great trip but it´s lovely to be back “Up the Mountain” again 🙂

41. foodblogandthedog March 12, 2012 at 20:40 #

This sounds amazing! I’ve ordered my first asparagus of the year from my new organic veg supplier (excited) this week. Have bookmarked this recipe!! Enjoy London, don’t know eabouts you are visiting but if you get a chance go to Ottolenghi’s just so I can be really jealous!!

• Chica Andaluza March 16, 2012 at 17:28 #

Lucky you to have an organic veg supplier – I´d love that for when we´re not able to grow all that we need. Wish I´d thought of going to Ottolenghi, but think we´d have needed another few days to fit it in!

42. Malou March 16, 2012 at 15:24 #

Hmm…looks very creamy and delicious. 😉

43. Calico Stretch March 17, 2012 at 02:53 #

Isn’t the colour of this fantastic? I love green. Perfect, oh except for the cheese. I know its blue but that’s not it. Blue cheese is one of the few, very very few, edible (!) things I can’t get past my nose and believe me I have tried with and without wine etc.

Will have to try this with another sort of cheese…… Hmmm.

• Chica Andaluza March 17, 2012 at 10:16 #

I smiled when I saw your comment at my very best friend (of 35 years standing) hates blue cheese too. The funny thing is I only found out this year ! I have obviously never happened to make her anything with blue cheese in it in all these years which is pretty remarkable!

44. kathryningrid March 20, 2012 at 04:07 #

Mmmm, silky rich deliciousness! How very very lovely. 🙂

45. Jen March 21, 2012 at 19:18 #

this looks heavenly..love the color!

#greenslove

Jen

• Chica Andaluza March 21, 2012 at 19:59 #

Definitely green and a mix of healthy and naughty 🙂

1. A week in the French Alps – encore | Promenade Plantings - March 10, 2012

[…] by Tanya over at Chica Andaluza we’ve eaten Gnocchi, not with Asparagus sauce like she did, the clever thing that she is, but […]