Asparagus and Sour Cream Tart

13 Apr

There’s something about asparagus that makes me happy. Well, a few things really. It tastes wonderful, it looks pretty and has an amazing colour which screams “spring”! It also feels like a luxury ingredient, which it most certainly used to be, but in reality is one which is now readily available and easily affordable. Mind you, in a few weeks when we have the start of the wonderful English asparagus season, we may pay a little more but oh it will be worth it for the flavour!

Asparagus & Sour Cream Tart (4)

Blogging too makes me happy, it allows me to keep a record of dishes I enjoy cooking and eating, it allows me to share my passions with like-minded folk and it has introduced me to new pals around the globe. New cuisines are available at the click of my mouse and one such cuisine which I am gradually learning more about comes from Germany. A wonderful blogger, Ginger, shares her recipes and memories over at Ginger and Bread. A German, with a Chilean partner living in London. Do pop over if you get the chance. She recently shared a recipe for a traditional onion quiche and I was intrigued by the use of sour cream in there with the rest of the more familiar ingredients. Time to buy a carton of sour cream and give this style of quiche a go!

Ingredients (to serve 6)

• 1 packet of puff pastry (I used puff as this is what I had to hand, use short crust, or make your own – you decide)
  • 1 bunch of Asparagus
  • 3 eggs
  • 300ml of sour cream
  • 100ml milk
  • About 50g grated cheese (I used smoked gouda)
  • Salt & Pepper

Start by snapping off the woody ends of the asparagus and blanching the spears in lightly salted boiling water for about 3 minutes. If you don’t have a wide enough saucepan to take the spears whole, use a deep frying pan filled with water. Drain, rinse in cold water and put to one side.

Turn the oven on to medium (180C in my fan oven)

Line a tin with greaseproof paper (optional) and lay the pastry inside. If you use a flan tin with a loose bottom you don’t need to line – it just makes life easier when it comes to lifting the tart out when it’s cooked if your tin does not have a loose bottom.

Trim the pastry to fit and prick lightly with a fork.

Beat the remaining ingredients (except the asparagus) together and season. Pour into the pastry case then lay the spears gently on top.  Bake for about 45 minutes until lightly puffed up and just starting to turn golden.

Delicious hot or cold, but leave it to cool down slightly for at least 5 minutes before cutting. The addition of sour cream gives you a soft, fluffy filling, almost mousse like. Lovely with a simple dressed salad and great too for picnics.

45 Responses to “Asparagus and Sour Cream Tart”

1. thecompletebook April 13, 2015 at 11:37 #

We are going to have to add this to the list for when I eventually get to the UK to visit – guess I will be coming in Spring. 😀
    Have a beautiful day Tanya.
    🙂 Mandy xo

2. Mad Dog April 13, 2015 at 12:01 #

That looks delicious (as always) – I could eat the whole lot for lunch 😉

• Chica Andaluza April 13, 2015 at 13:38 #

Ah, thanks Mad! I really liked the fluffy texture of the eggy bit!

• Mad Dog April 13, 2015 at 13:57 #

I like egg and asparagus – it’s very good in a frittata with chorizo 🙂

• Chica Andaluza April 13, 2015 at 14:03 #

A lot of thing are good with chorizo 😉

• Mad Dog April 13, 2015 at 14:07 #

Everything but pudding, though I’ve always wanted to try the Italian pig’s blood dessert at Bocca di Lupo (sanguinaccio).

• Chica Andaluza April 13, 2015 at 16:16 #

I think you’re right J I had to google Sanguinaccio and can imagine it working. It reminded me of a clip that is shown many times on tv of the chef Nick Nairn who goes to see an old Scottish biddy making blood pudding and he comes over all queasy – the result of overdoing it the night before with the crew!

• Mad Dog April 13, 2015 at 17:24 #

Ha ha – ROFL!
        There was a lovely bit in one of the Two Greedy Italians shows, where after an Italian matanza, Gennaro invites all the little children to try his pudding, which I believe is Sanguinaccio or similar. At first they are quite skeptical, but are easily won over and the pudding is a winner!

• Chica Andaluza April 13, 2015 at 18:29 #

Oh I think I saw that one too!

3. themateriallady April 13, 2015 at 12:37 #

I will try this when the asparagus is ready in this area. We make a point of gorging on it while it is available! One of my favourite ways of eating it is as roasted spear soldiers with a soft boiled egg. Yum.

• Chica Andaluza April 13, 2015 at 13:38 #

The simpler the better with the good stuff and dipped into a runny boiled egg sounds like perfection to me!

4. A Famished Foodie April 13, 2015 at 15:19 #

Yum! This looks so fantastic. Everything about it seems yummy.

5. Danny April 13, 2015 at 16:58 #

Must try this one , sound wonderful .

6. Main St. Cuisine April 13, 2015 at 18:03 #

I was looking for something new to try with asparagus this season. With house guests arriving this week, I think I’ll add this to one of the menus. I can’t wait to try it!

7. frugalfeeding April 13, 2015 at 18:23 #

Gorgeous – and simple! Just how I like it. That sour cream mixture looks so, so creamy and tempting.

• Chica Andaluza April 13, 2015 at 19:15 #

I was amazed at the huge difference the sur cream made to the taste and the texture – very good indeed!

8. Ginger April 13, 2015 at 19:14 #

I am absolutely thrilled and honoured – and what a fine quiche you made! I’ll have to give this a try next!

• Chica Andaluza April 13, 2015 at 19:16 #

You really inspired me – alas I didn’t have any caraway seeds – I loved the way the egg was so light and moussey!

9. narf77 April 13, 2015 at 21:33 #

There is nothing like a hearty tart to get your heart racing Ms Chica. I consider myself a hearty tart. Stevie-boys heart is often racing, but usually because I served him up something like this and not because of my obviously hearty charms 😉

• Chica Andaluza April 15, 2015 at 16:27 #

Ha ha – I too am a hearty tart (with a heart) J

• narf77 April 15, 2015 at 20:05 #

There are MUCH worse things to be called in life than a “hearty tart with a big heart” Ms Chica. I think we hearty tarts with big hearts make the world go round 🙂

• Chica Andaluza April 15, 2015 at 20:32 #

J hear hear!!

10. Foodfhonebook April 13, 2015 at 23:31 #

Reblogged this on Foodfhonebook.

11. Tandy | Lavender and Lime April 14, 2015 at 05:57 #

I was also intrigued by the sour cream when I read your title. I’m so excited for asparagus season in Europe as well 🙂

• Chica Andaluza April 15, 2015 at 16:27 #

Oh yes, you’ve got lots of treats awaiting you soon!

12. chef mimi April 14, 2015 at 14:15 #

This is beautiful! And perfect for spring!

13. sandal boneka April 14, 2015 at 18:39 #

All I wanted to eat, even if it is full, because it looks so good.

14. Michelle April 15, 2015 at 02:59 #

Oh, thank goodness, to see asparagus again!

15. The Chair's Antique April 15, 2015 at 03:31 #

nice picture,…
    so good chicaa

16. Pabrik Sandal Boneka April 15, 2015 at 04:16 #

I love this cuisine . Even can also try recipes Lombok Island .

17. PendleStitches April 15, 2015 at 11:42 #

Glorious. And English asparagus is truly joyous.

18. TBM April 17, 2015 at 13:04 #

My partner would love this!

19. Raden May 5, 2015 at 08:05 #

hammmmmm asparagus is agreat for health especially in sports becomes great food.

• Chica Andaluza May 5, 2015 at 13:39 #

Hi Raden and thanks for all your lovely comments – glad you are enjoying the blog!