Churrasco de Pollo

12 Jun

Churrasco in Spain, Portugal and South America generally refers to meat that has been grilled over an open flame. Often it has also been marinated in something, in Andalucía it’s typically a spice mix used to make Pinchitos Morunos (Moorish Kebabs) little skewers of meat, usually pork. They’re typical fiesta food and very popular.

Churrasco de Pollo 002

At home meat can be rubbed in the spice mix (which is bought ready made) which is made up into a paste with olive oil. Generally about 3 teaspoons of mix to every kilo of meat. The meat is then cooked on a hot griddle pan or over a barbecue. We’re just back in England, so I’ve made sure to bring a supply of spice mix with me to remind me of this dish.

If you can’t get hold of the spice mix (which is almost like a mild curry powder), you can make your own. The meat I used was a 2 boned thighs and drumsticks and it was cooked on the bbq – delicious!

Ingredients

1 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp dried yellow mustard
pinch of ground Spanish saffron

Turn your favourite Latino music up to top volume, serve with an ice cold beer and enjoy!

64 Responses to “Churrasco de Pollo”

1. Mad Dog June 12, 2015 at 19:45 #

Delicious! I love those spice stalls in the market selling mixtures for all types of meat and fish. I’ve mixed up something similar myself, in the past, for pinchos murunos. It makes me laugh that they like to use a Moorish mixture on pork 😉

• Chica Andaluza June 12, 2015 at 20:15 #

It’s ironic isn’t it – if you go to Ceuta or Melilla, apparently all the pinchos are made of lamb!

• Mad Dog June 12, 2015 at 20:17 #

Ha ha – I bet!

• Mad Dog June 12, 2015 at 20:23 #

…though the Portuguese Inquisition in Goa converted everyone to pork. Pork curry and couriço (chorizo) are poplar to this day.

• Chica Andaluza June 12, 2015 at 20:29 #

Ooh yum!

2. Amanda | What's Cooking June 12, 2015 at 19:52 #

Chica, this looks amazing and flavorful. I am sooooo making this. Wow.

• Chica Andaluza June 12, 2015 at 20:15 #

I think it will be something you’d enjoy – and once you have the mix you can use it on so many things!

3. narf77 June 12, 2015 at 20:40 #

Bit cold here at the moment for a cold beer Ms Chica, but otherwise, this recipe has been duly noted and filed away for the heat of summer when Brunhilda has been asleep for a month and Stevie-boy is manning the bbq like a boss 🙂

• Chica Andaluza June 12, 2015 at 20:42 #

Probably best to stick with a nice cup of tea to keep you warm!

• narf77 June 12, 2015 at 20:52 #

😉

4. The Seas Of Mintaka June 12, 2015 at 20:58 #

Oh that’s so sad you’ve left the hot summer! Hope you’ll be back soon! I like to rub chicken in a spice mix and roast it. Sooo easy and tasty.

• Chica Andaluza June 12, 2015 at 22:33 #

Yes, but we are lucky to have two beautiful homes and two wonderful families – one in each country!

• The Seas Of Mintaka June 13, 2015 at 02:04 #

Oh yes you’re very lucky! You can see how much I love living in Spain haha! I would miss it if I were in England I think………

5. restlessjo June 12, 2015 at 20:59 #

That looks so tasty, Tanya. Happy weekend to you 🙂

• Chica Andaluza June 12, 2015 at 22:34 #

And to you Jo – looking forward to your weekend post!

6. PendleStitches June 12, 2015 at 21:17 #

Oh goodness….I want to fire up the barbecue now!

• Chica Andaluza June 12, 2015 at 22:35 #

They all laughed at us in Spain as we had to put up the beach umbrella to shade us from the sun and we explained that in England it’s also an essential piece of barbecue equipment so that we can carry on cooking when it rains 😉

7. Foodfhonebook June 12, 2015 at 22:37 #

Reblogged this on Foodfhonebook and commented:
    I love this
    Foodfhonebook

8. Cecilia Mary Gunther June 13, 2015 at 02:54 #

YUM! We are listening to the Tango in the house lately – Fede’s favourite music – this spice looks delicious.. c

• Eha June 13, 2015 at 03:22 #

Well Celi – I do hope Federico is not just listening but teaching it to you at the same time: would be great if he can do the proper Argentine tango as well as the ordinary one 😀 !! What fun!!!!!!

• Chica Andaluza June 13, 2015 at 09:59 #

Big Man’s grandfather was born in Argentina so he loves to Tango too!

• Chica Andaluza June 13, 2015 at 09:57 #

I can imagine he knows about some pretty amazing Tango!

9. Eha June 13, 2015 at 03:19 #

What a great recipe and I shall make my own spice mix, thank you! As oregano, yellow mustard, cinnamon and saffron are not really curry spices I just have to prepare this soonest to try 🙂 ! And I do not need summer or an outdoor barbecue: a grill pan inside will do just fine!!

10. Ginger June 13, 2015 at 07:49 #

Like! Like! Like very much!!!

11. Food,Photography & France June 13, 2015 at 08:35 #

That’s a good spice mix….there’s a little South American restaurant in Southwark, London, called El Vergel. When I had a studio there we had lunch brought in from there and it was very often Churasco Palta:)

12. cookinginsens June 13, 2015 at 11:04 #

Great rub. I’ll have to make up a batch.

13. thecompletebook June 13, 2015 at 11:08 #

Wonderful spices – all of which I have in the cupboard. Lovely idea – we will definitely be having a braai when Pete gets home.
    Have a beautiful weekend Tanya.
    🙂 Mandy xo

14. Dorset Finca June 13, 2015 at 11:41 #

This looks like the sort of thing that I’d like to cook over the fire pit that I’m hankering after! Delicious!

• Chica Andaluza June 15, 2015 at 10:11 #

Ooh, I’d love one too (but first…I want a wood burning oven!)

15. Gather and Graze June 13, 2015 at 12:29 #

Love, love, love this kind of food Tanya! Spicy, succulent chicken thighs cooked on the bbq – so yummy! 🙂 Bookmarking this sometime very soon!

16. Hery June 14, 2015 at 03:32 #

Hemmm… Taste nice…

17. Giyanto June 14, 2015 at 16:53 #

Delicious once,in our country Indonesia foods made from meat which is famous SATE ,how in your country of flesh foods ?

18. restlessjo June 15, 2015 at 22:04 #

Sounds like party food 🙂

19. waterfallsandcaribous June 16, 2015 at 05:38 #

Tasty meat + icy beer + happy 🙂

• Chica Andaluza June 16, 2015 at 09:26 #

A good combination! Hope you are all well…

• waterfallsandcaribous June 16, 2015 at 12:11 #

We’re doing well adjusting to the cold of NZ winter, brrr. Just had a first birthday party too! Hope you guys are doing great 🙂

• Chica Andaluza June 16, 2015 at 12:20 #

Ah that’s lovely – she’s 1 already! All good here thanks 🙂

20. Tortilla for tea June 16, 2015 at 13:51 #

I think your spice mix sounds better than the pinchito mix they sell in Spain (although I love the little colourful box it comes in)! I look forward to trying it at our next barbecue, which has got to be soon, the weather is sooo lovely…(but not as hot as southern Spain of course)

• Chica Andaluza June 16, 2015 at 14:28 #

I love the containers too – and the pimenton ones in tins are usually gorgeous! We had very odd weather during our month in Spain – it went from 40 degrees down to about 18, then we had clouds, rain, sun and wind…honestly it was as changeable as England!

21. chef mimi June 16, 2015 at 18:43 #

Just love the flavors you used for this chicken! I’m printing this!!!

22. bitsandbreadcrumbs June 16, 2015 at 21:04 #

This sounds like a fabulous spice rub. Am going to have to mix up a batch for summer grilling!

23. www.sandalboneka.com June 17, 2015 at 06:14 #

Mrs Chica has a recipe very much , learn where Mrs. ?

24. Jaketanakkarakter July 10, 2015 at 14:26 #

It’s so tasty. Love the flavors u used for this chicken hehehe

25. Jaketanakkarakter July 10, 2015 at 14:30 #

Are you a wife? If you’re a wife, your husband will really happy to have you cause you can cook him some delicious foods. I feel like wanna be ur daughter lol

26. Manfaat Minyak Zaitun August 25, 2015 at 03:10 #

The grilled meat do not use condiment ? I look delicious . I ‘ll want to try to make it.

27. kaoskarakter October 9, 2015 at 23:20 #

every recipe you share impressed me, thank you very much Chica

28. Maulana Angga November 13, 2015 at 05:09 #

This looks amazing and flavorful.

29. Suci Purnamasari March 3, 2016 at 06:57 #

hmm yummyyy 😀

30. Debby Aripianusari May 7, 2016 at 03:46 #

i will to try cooking with husband ❤

31. Rak Sepatu Gantung July 1, 2016 at 02:18 #

Looks like delicious.. i will try cook this recipe at home soon, thanks chica…

32. aida tour February 6, 2017 at 08:13 #

taste good.. hmm yummmy

1. There’s (almost) no such thing as a free lunch…. | Chica Andaluza - September 25, 2015

[…] the village fiesta is upon us and we know we’ll be eating our own body weight in grilled meat and pinchitos (little kebabs) over the next few days. What did make us smile was the fact that pretty much […]