Fresh Spanish Chorizo

15 Mar

Big Man was lucky to have been given a mincer/sausage maker at Christmas.  Ideal for producing sausages for the family and we hoped that it would give us the chance to make fresh chorizo to eat while in England. Occasionally we come across a very authentic version (in Lidl of all places) otherwise those produced by our local butcher are good but  just not quite the same.

20160313_162307

When you buy fresh chorizo in Andalucía  (typically from the butcher) you’ll be offered freshly made ones which are designed for frying, cooking on the plancha or barbecue and are for immediate consumption. You will also be asked if you want some for drying.  These will have been made a few days previously and you take them home, hang them up somewhere cool and dry and leave them to dry out to the texture of what we know as salami. Depending on the weather and time of year this can take anything from a few days to a couple of weeks.

20160313_102830

Asking our friends and family (including a pal who is a butcher) what spices we needed, everyone looked at us as if we were mad foreigners and said “you buy a packet of Chorizol and follow the instructions”! Hmph.

So, on our last trip this is what we did, but this packet mix contains preservatives which we’re not keen on using or consuming.  As an aside, this word in Spanish is “conservativo” as a “preservativo” is a condom….. definitely NOT what you will be using for your sausage making! I digress. I’ll give the instructions for making up an equivalent spice mix per kilo of meat but feel free to play around until you get your perfect flavour combination.

20160313_104133

Ingredients per kilo of meat

• 1kg of pork which should be about 30% fat to meat. We used pork shoulder meat and pork belly strips.  The meat should be coarsely minced.
  • 60g of spice mix per kilo of meat. To make this you need about 35g sweet pimentón, 15g  smoked pimentón, 5g salt (add more salt to the meat mix at the end for taste if you prefer) 5g garlic powder.  You can also add a little grated nutmeg (a pinch) and a pinch of finely ground dried oregano.
  • A splash of wine (red or white)
  • Sausage casings

Add your spice mix to the ground/minced meat, together with a splash of wine. Mix thoroughly with your hands (I recommend wearing gloves or you will have very stained hands from the pimentón for a few days ). Add a splash more wine if necessary to make a slightly moist mix.

20160313_113801

The meat should already start to smell like the chorizo we know and love but to be sure, break off a small piece and dry fry it for a minute or two on each side. Taste and add any further seasoning. We added about a teaspoon of hot chili powder to ours which gave a little heat.

20160313_121124

Cook and taste a little again if necessary and then move on to the highly entertaining part of filling your sausage casings. This is most definitely a job for two people! Ours were not uniform in thickness or length and we found it easier to make long sausages then tie them into shorter lengths when  we were done.

20160313_125539

Hang your sausages up in a cool dry place (if this is practical for you) for 24 hours. This allows the skins to dry out a little and helps them not to burst when cooking. Now you can cook, freeze, dry, share enjoy your chorizo….happy chorizo making!

If you are looking good for something to make with your chorizo, why not try this simple but delicious tapa? !

Chorizo con Cebolla (5)

57 Responses to “Fresh Spanish Chorizo”

1. nkiru onyechi March 15, 2016 at 18:39 #

I want to do this! Morcilla next?!

• Chica Andaluza March 15, 2016 at 18:44 #

I’d love to make morcilla but would need to track down a reliable source of fresh pigs blood to be sure it was safe to eat. Maybe it would be easier in Spain!

2. narf77 March 15, 2016 at 18:58 #

Sausage making is harder than it looks. Congratulations on success. I made vegan sausages with my mincer but the skins all burst. I guess I was doing something wrong.

• Mad Dog March 15, 2016 at 19:32 #

That looks like great fun! I’m still trying to find someone to take me to a matanza, so I can watch what all the old ladies put into the sausages. I think you are right about tracking down blood, it’s very hard in the UK, even my butcher has problems getting it, whereas in Spain pork butchers sell it by the liter. I think a lot of people in the UK use powdered blood for black pudding manufacture.

• Chica Andaluza March 15, 2016 at 22:53 #

So few people do the matanzas now . Smaller families, less people to share the spoils 😣 Had never heard of powdered blood!

• Mad Dog March 15, 2016 at 22:57 #

I think powdered blood is a big thing, though not something I like the sound of.

• Chica Andaluza March 15, 2016 at 23:10 #

Not so sure about it either but if it really is simply a freeze dried version of the fresh product (am thinking of something like dried milk) maybe it’s a practical way of conserving and using. Will have to investigate further!

• Mad Dog March 15, 2016 at 23:11 #

I’m not a fan of dried milk either.

• Chica Andaluza March 16, 2016 at 09:18 #

It’s not going to be for us I think!

• Chica Andaluza March 15, 2016 at 19:37 #

Its something that I really enjoy doing! Hope you find time to try something yourself too!

• Chica Andaluza March 15, 2016 at 19:39 #

Oops, weird reply to another post! It was tricky but I want to make more. What did you make yours with and what sort of casings do you use that are vegan? Intrigued!

• narf77 March 15, 2016 at 19:56 #

I used (shock horror) those synthetic skins. I still have some in the fridge door waiting for my next brave experiment. I think I need to add more “fat” to my mix and so I am going to experiment with nut butters and avocado to see if I can’t rectify my problems. There are a tonne of vegan sausage recipes out there but most of them don’t use skins (I now know why 😉 ).

• Chica Andaluza March 15, 2016 at 22:51 #

Ooh interesting. And yes, you do need a good percentage of “fat” to bind the mix. I bet avocado would be good ☺

3. Lynn March 15, 2016 at 20:48 #

Supplies for making your own – maybe Borough Market?? I love a trip there!

• Chica Andaluza March 15, 2016 at 22:53 #

Good idea Lynn. I may have to send you on a scouting mission!

• Lynn March 16, 2016 at 11:25 #

I’m sure I can find a willing companion to accompany me 🙂

4. Celia @ Fig Jam and Lime Cordial March 15, 2016 at 23:07 #

They look fabulous T! And now I know how to buy a condom in Spain! Your blog is full of life tips.. 😀

• Chica Andaluza March 15, 2016 at 23:11 #

Well….it’s good to be prepared for emergencies ☺ I like to keep people informed!

• Celia @ Fig Jam and Lime Cordial March 15, 2016 at 23:28 #

And help them to avoid embarrassing situations! Hahaha….I could just see someone asking for something to be preservativo-free and getting a very strange look!

• Chica Andaluza March 16, 2016 at 09:21 #

I remember in my youth my mother having a conversation along these lines in Italian with a priest (the translations are the same!) And her telling him how “preservatives” gave her a bad reaction and made her mouth swell up! Eventually someone stepped in and explained. I can’t remember who was more horrified – my mum or the priest, but all us younger folk were in hysterics!

5. ChgoJohn March 16, 2016 at 00:14 #

Ah! The much anticipated chorizo recipe. Thank you for sharing, Tanya, as well as your version of Chorizol. There is no way I’d find it here. Good tip, too, about frying up a bit before continuing with the process. You really don’t want to go through the trouble of making sausage only to find out it’s under-seasoned. I’ve mentioned that I’ve quit making links. Patties are so much easier to make and no casings to deal with. On the other hand, although one should be sure to ask for “conservativo” and not “preservativo”, should you run out of casings … 😀

• Chica Andaluza March 16, 2016 at 09:23 #

Ah those embarrassing language mistakes. It’s the same words in Italian so be warned! Making patties is a great idea, or even a big meatloaf which can then be sliced. Yum!

6. Eha March 16, 2016 at 00:53 #

If one has a machine and a wee bit of experience this looks rather a fun and productive activity: not so many ingredients at all! Have yet to find the opportunity to ask to use a friend’s equipment and try! That said I do agree with John that patties are easier to make tho’ Middle-Eastern style mine are always shaped like sausages 🙂 ! Have not made my own black pudding either but have absolutely loved pig’s blood pancakes since childhood and a friendly word to the local butcher will produce this here if ordered beforehand.

• Chica Andaluza March 16, 2016 at 09:25 #

It’s something we’d wanted to try for a long time and it was good fun. I can’t see us doing this every week but when the chorizo supply runs out we’ll be cranking up the machine again!

7. Tandy | Lavender and Lime March 16, 2016 at 05:03 #

Thank you for this recipe. I love making my own sausages so this will go on my to do list 😀

8. thecompletebook March 16, 2016 at 08:54 #

My folks have just bought a sausage making machine so will set them to work making some chorizo. Naturally I will have to do some quality checks.
    Have a beautiful day Tania.
    🙂 Mandy xo

9. cookinginsens March 16, 2016 at 14:48 #

Thank you for the recipe! We love making our own sausages and chorizo is a favorite.

• Chica Andaluza March 16, 2016 at 20:03 #

It was a first for us but definitely won’t be the last time we make sausages!

10. restlessjo March 16, 2016 at 15:27 #

Oh, goodness! Too much work for lazy me 🙂 I’ll stick to tasting those tapas.
    All well with you?

• Chica Andaluza March 16, 2016 at 20:05 #

Yes, go out and buy them (do look out for when Lidl do Spanisg week!). All good here thanks Jo!

11. themateriallady March 17, 2016 at 17:26 #

I froze Lidls chorizo last time they had a Spanish week. I wonder if I could persuade The Management he wants a sausage maker for his birthday?

12. Karen March 18, 2016 at 14:52 #

A job well done by the two of you. I bet they are delicious.

13. cheri March 20, 2016 at 22:32 #

My husband also received a sausage maker for Christmas, will print this out for him, we love chorizo, looks delicious!

• Chica Andaluza March 21, 2016 at 08:49 #

Thank you Cheri. It was a great gift which we’re enjoying. Hope your husband has fun using his machine too!

14. ifyourenotontheroad March 22, 2016 at 12:00 #

Making the actual sausages is definitely a two man job. The H and I used to make sausages in Mexico because we missed an english style banger.
    It’s great fun.

15. bitsandbreadcrumbs March 24, 2016 at 15:50 #

Your sausages are so pretty! I thought chorizo always had hot pepper or cayenne in it, so was glad to see you added it. I also thought it had fennel in it, but not having ever made any chorizo, I can see that I was wrong. I’ve only made sausage once and it was left ground for a recipe I was cooking. This actually looks like a lot of fun when you have the proper equipment and I would also use my own spice mix for the same reasons. Hate that “conservativo” stuff!

• Chica Andaluza March 24, 2016 at 22:28 #

Thanks Betty. Some of the spice blends do indeed have fennel in them so feel free to mix it up your way!

16. Bluejellybeans March 24, 2016 at 20:25 #

Wow! Chorizo casero!!! Qué lujo. Seguro que os quedaron buenísimos. Me parece curioso que el lidl venda aquí productos ingleses, franceses, holandeses, alemanes, etc y que en UK vendan los españoles, qué listos son!!!
    Os felicito por esta fantástica receta. A mí particularmente me gustan fritos y en bocata. Ah, y la aclaración entre conservantes y preservativos, brillante!! jeje Un abrazo

• Chica Andaluza March 24, 2016 at 22:31 #

Creo que las tiendas tienen promociones especiales y cuando estoy en España aprovecho de la “semana Inglesa/Francesa etc” y en Inglaterra de la semana Española! Lo hemos disfrutado mucho y ahora tenemos planes para hacer salchichones ☺

17. mae April 1, 2016 at 09:50 #

Well, you definitely disproved the old saying that it’s best not to know how sausages are made. That’s a wonderful and fascinating post!

best… mae at maefood.blogspot.com

18. lugu kurniawan April 5, 2016 at 15:04 #

woow.. i like this food.

19. lugu kurniawan April 5, 2016 at 15:05 #

A job well done by the two of you. I bet they are delicious.

20. JURAGAN KAOS KARAKTER April 7, 2016 at 04:50 #

hmmm ……. seems sausages are made feels so good, from what made the sausage meat is this?

• Chica Andaluza April 7, 2016 at 05:18 #

Made from pork which you don’t eat but sausages can be made from other meats too, it just wouldn’t be Spanish Chorizo

21. jamuherbalginjal April 8, 2016 at 17:15 #

thanks, how about a grilled sausage?

22. Sablon Mug Souvenir April 9, 2016 at 04:28 #

i like this food, have a good taste..

23. cetak mug April 18, 2016 at 03:20 #

like this food. A job well done by the two of you. I bet they are delicious.

24. cetak mug April 18, 2016 at 03:23 #

woow.. i like this food. they are delicious

25. Rak Sepatu Gantung June 25, 2016 at 02:23 #

you made it by your self? realy good… i wish i can try at home… thanks chica

26. Jual Tirai Magnet Anti Nyamuk August 30, 2016 at 13:54 #

it’s make from pork? ah not good, pork is not halal in my country..

27. BANDAR KAOS KARAKTER October 14, 2016 at 08:38 #

looks so delicious but unfortunately we Muslims should not consume pork because of wear.

1. Feeling Fishy… | Chica Andaluza - January 9, 2017

[…] us. We already enjoy pulses, so many meals are meat free, like our much loved lentils (minus the chorizo, or maybe just a little as we’re not being super strict, just making an […]

recipes and more to inspire you ♥