Leche Frita…or Fried Milk

25 Apr

We recently had a lovely Spanish Sunday lunch with family and friends. Lunch on Sunday in Spain, especially when the weather is good and you can cook outside, often means paella. Although it wasn’t warm enough to eat in the garden, we did manage some pre-lunch drinks in the sunshine and we fired up the paella burner to cook outside.

20160416_172943

Starters were typical. Plates of jamón and cheese,  lettuce with anchovies, croquetas and prawns to peel and dip in alioli.

Dessert caused me a little stress.  Not making it, you understand.  Just deciding what to make. Where we come from in Spain doesn’t claim to have the most exciting desserts in the world. Pretty much every restaurant will offer the same selection. Flan (which we know better as creme caramel ). Natilla (a little portion of cold custard with a biscuit similar to what is called a Rich Tea biscuit on top). Arroz con leche (cold rice pudding cooked with cinnamon and sprinkled with cinnamon). Fruit or ice cream. Hmmmm.  Ok, but nothing to get over excited about.  The fruit is usually pretty good and depending on the season you can enjoy figs, melons, peaches, custard fruit, pomegranate and strawberries.

FB_IMG_1460914788915

Folk seem to get their sugar fix from turrón and the little cakes, pastries and doughnuts served after a meal with coffee. I asked Big Man for advice and he requested Leche Frita which is something his family used to enjoy when he was young. The ingredients are few and cheap. It’s not a sophisticated dish and I was a little unsure as to how my lunch guests would react. I was amazed at how well it went down. They enjoyed the lightness and simplicity of the dish and the delicate flavour of the custard (which is what you make from your milk). If you’re a person who finds stirring risotto therapeutic,  this one’s for you as you can’t make it in a hurry.

Ingredients to serve six to eight people

• 800ml full fat milk
  • A large slice of lemon zest
  • A stick of cinnamon
  • 80g cornflour
  • 80-100g sugar (this doesn’t need to be very sweet)
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • Vegetable oil for frying
  • Icing sugar and cinnamon to dust the finished slices of Leche Frita

Pour the milk (reserving about 100 ml and return this to the fridge) into a saucepan with the sugar, lemon zest and cinnamon. Bring almost to boiling point, stirring to dissolve the sugar, remove from the heat then cover and leave to stand for 15 minutes.

20160417_150659

Add the cornflour to the cold milk and dissolve.  Remove the lemon zest and cinnamon from the infused milk and pour in the milk and cornflour. Heat very, very gently, whisking or stirring for about 20-30 minutes. You don’t want the milk to catch and burn while you thicken the milk. It’s ready when it has become very thick.  Run a spoon through the middle of the mixture and if it doesn’t return quickly to the middle of the pan, you’re done!

Lightly oil a shallow square or rectangular dish with some vegetable oil and pour in the thickened milk. Smooth the surface and leave to cool in the fridge for an hour or so. Ideally it will be about 2cm thick.

Prepare a large frying pan with vegetable oil to a depth of about 2cm and heat the oil. Not quite as hot as for cooking chips, but a good medium heat. Have a tray lined with kitchen paper ready and in a bowl put about 4 tablespoons of icing sugar mixed with about half a tablespoon of cinnamon.

20160417_150714

Tip the leche/custard out onto a tray or flat board and cut it into portions (I made triangles) and dip as many will fit into your frying pan in one go into the beaten egg. Make sure the pieces are well coated and put them onto a plate until you are ready to fry your first batch.

Put the egg coated pieces of leche into the hot oil and fry on each side (a couple of minutes) until golden brown. Place onto the kitchen towel and allow to cool while you cook the next batch.

When it’s cool enough to handle, dip each piece in the icing sugar and cinnamon mix. It can be served warm or cold and keeps well in the fridge (covered) for about 48 hours. Don’t expect it to be crispy, this is meant to be soft inside and out.  You can reheat gently in the oven or microwave and sprinkle a little extra icing sugar over to serve. If you want to be a bit grand, make a fruit coulis to dip the pieces into. Lovely as a dessert or teatime treat and very typical of Andalucía.

53 Responses to “Leche Frita…or Fried Milk”

1. Sarah Nuñez April 25, 2016 at 18:21 #

Me encanta! It’s one of my favourite things.

• Chica Andaluza April 25, 2016 at 19:36 #

I’m not a great sweet eater but I really enjoyed it too!

• Giyanto April 28, 2016 at 07:55 #

the food is simple but has many benefits for the body

2. Mad Dog April 25, 2016 at 18:35 #

They look fantastic and prettier than the ones I had last in a Poble-Sec restaurant.
    You are very unlucky with the weather, I did a lunch for 12 on the terrace last weekend and it was 20º and sunny. That looks like a lovely spread – I suspect you were cooking for as long as I was, though I loved every minute of it 🙂

• Chica Andaluza April 25, 2016 at 19:38 #

Yes, a lot of prep but a bottle of wine and the radio makes it even more enjoyable! Glad you’re enjoying some good weather. Where you there for San Jordi?

• Mad Dog April 25, 2016 at 20:11 #

Yes, the Catalans do a better job of celebrating St. George’s day than us – he also happens to be their patron saint. It’s a bit weird seeing the cross of St. George hanging up next to the Catalan flag. I’m sure it all goes back to the crusades…

3. Babs in Italy April 25, 2016 at 18:56 #

We’ll have to do a European night. These sound delicious.

4. Ruth April 25, 2016 at 19:01 #

Oh oh oh. So delicious snd beautiful.

5. narf7 April 25, 2016 at 21:13 #

Fried custard? I am IN! I bet this would work for alternative milks too so long as you had enough cornflour to set them. Sort of polenta without grains and with milk. How could you resist? I would think it was a Scottish recipe if you hadn’t tole me it was Spanish as they have a love of sweet fried unusual things.

• Chica Andaluza April 25, 2016 at 21:32 #

I was thinking that it would be fantastic wirh almond milk…imagine the flavour! I’m guessing you’re thinking about deep fried Mars Bars ☺

• narf7 April 26, 2016 at 10:02 #

(yum… 😉 )

6. Our Growing Paynes April 25, 2016 at 21:15 #

I’ve never heard of this! I love it. 😊

• Chica Andaluza April 25, 2016 at 21:33 #

I hadn’t either until I moved to Spain. It’s a bit weird but in a good way!

7. Sawsan@ Chef in disguise April 25, 2016 at 22:14 #

Wow!
    Frying custard then dipping in cinnamon sugar! I can only imagine the texture and flavors!
    I have never heard of this and now I am beyond curious

8. Eha April 26, 2016 at 02:57 #

A wellknown name for which I have never had as a recipe nor made myself! Since methinks I oft make risotto for therapeutic purposes that aspect should cause no problems and, even tho’ not a dessert eater this just must be tried soonest! SO interesting!!! Oh, do love the look of your prawn paella also – beautiful seafood . . .

9. Cecilia Mary Gunther April 26, 2016 at 03:18 #

WELL! If my cow ever calves i will be back to make this. This kind of dessert is perfect for me. Good call! c

• Eha April 26, 2016 at 05:16 #

Methinks Lady Astor will give you ‘that look’ when she sees the comment 🙂 !!

• Chica Andaluza April 26, 2016 at 08:48 #

Can only dream of how good it would taste with Farmy milk?

10. PendleStitches April 26, 2016 at 09:17 #

I’m intrigued!
    And what a beautiful spread you put on for your guests. Who cares about the weather?

11. Ria April 26, 2016 at 13:28 #

The fried milk was totally delicious – had never had it before but now I am hooked! The rest of the meal was wonderful too of course 🙂

12. bitsandbreadcrumbs April 26, 2016 at 14:52 #

What a magnificent and beautiful feast. Truly salivating just looking at your images. I also had not hear of Leche Frita, but it sounds lovely and I’m trying to imagine what it must taste like. If you made it with a bit of cream added, do you think it would still be good or too rich? 🙂

• Chica Andaluza April 26, 2016 at 15:44 #

As a dedicated dairy lover I think it would be amazing with some cream added!

13. Giyanto April 26, 2016 at 15:18 #

Me encanta! It’s one of my favourite things.

• Chica Andaluza April 26, 2016 at 15:44 #

Gracias , it was a surprise success as everyone seemed to really enjoy it!

• Giyanto April 27, 2016 at 06:59 #

good

14. thecompletebook April 26, 2016 at 16:04 #

I want to eat it all, and lots of it! Wonderful having people over who enjoy eating as much as we do.
    Have a beautiful and happy week Tania.
    🙂 Mandy xo

15. cookinginsens April 27, 2016 at 01:46 #

Love the tomatoes and onions and the plate they are in 🙂

16. themateriallady April 27, 2016 at 20:03 #

That sounds fabulous. As a big fan of eggy bread this sounds like a puddingy version. A must try recipe.

• Chica Andaluza April 27, 2016 at 20:09 #

Oh then if you love eggy bread (me too!) you’ll love this!

17. jamuherbalginjal April 28, 2016 at 17:43 #

image above seems to know , fried impromptu , edible use cayenne pepper , just five hundred rupiah , kosher , all delicious , especially if the weather is cold . not so hostess Chica Andaluza ?

18. Tandy | Lavender and Lime April 29, 2016 at 07:19 #

this is so interesting and reminds me slightly of milk tart 🙂

19. Novita May 2, 2016 at 08:23 #

hhmmmm… it looks very tasty…

20. kathryningrid May 2, 2016 at 18:38 #

What a spectacular feast all through! I’ve found that chefs and other foodies are often grateful for what seem like simple or old-fashioned foods, well-made—they can get so wrapped up in their work or their everything-showy food obsessions that they forget to indulge in the comfortable and uncomplicated things that they still truly love. Not to mention that there is more than a little happiness at having someone else do the work for a change. 😉 Beautiful post!
    xoxo

• Chica Andaluza May 2, 2016 at 20:08 #

Thank you so much for your lovely words. It’s sometimes tempting when I cook for loved ones to get sidetracked by a complicated dish or menu but mostly I try to focus on dishes that will taste good and will allow me to spend more time on the day with my guests than in the kitchen ☺

21. Debby Aripianusari May 7, 2016 at 03:30 #

hemm, the tomato delicious 🙂

22. Karen May 8, 2016 at 16:30 #

That’s not a Sunday lunch…that’s a feast. Everything from beginning to end certainly must have made for happy guests. I’ve not heard of leche frita but it sounds great.

23. Tania Adrianne Gammon May 19, 2016 at 19:41 #

Your meal looks wonderful! Spanish food is some of my favourite, new follower here!
    Tania @ http://www.thegammonkitchen.wordpress.com

24. Sablon Mug Souvenir August 2, 2016 at 01:51 #

it looks very tasty foods, delicious.. 😉

25. Jual Tirai Magnet Anti Nyamuk August 30, 2016 at 13:54 #

what a lovely recipe, hope i can make one at my home and share with my family

26. BANDAR KAOS KARAKTER October 14, 2016 at 08:33 #

looks so lush and stimulating my appetite

27. aida tour February 11, 2017 at 04:16 #

wow that’s look so nice for body, and one that’s mandatory in the trial at home.

1. Leche Frita…or Fried Milk | Chica Andaluza | Onlinegranny's Shared Recipes - April 25, 2016

[…] Source: Leche Frita…or Fried Milk | Chica Andaluza […]