Melting Spiced Pork with Aubergine

1 Dec

Not quite a curry, but with just a few fragrant spices and a gentle cook in the oven, you’ll be rewarded with a pot of melting meat and aubergine which will make you oh so happy! And for non meat eaters, read on to the end for a vegetarian alternative.

20161112_201643

Ingredients, to serve four with rice

• 3 tbsp oil
  • 750g pork cut into bite sized chunks (I used skinless pork belly strips)
  • 2 aubergines cut into bite sized chunks
  • 2 tbsp brown sugar
  • 5 star anise
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • 2 onions, peeled and very finely diced
  • 1 tbsp grated ginger
  • 1 red chili, finely chopped
  • 1 bunch fresh coriander (separate stems and leaves and finely chop both)
  • 1 tbsp fish sauce
  • Juice of a lime

Heat oven to 200C/180C Fan Oven/Gas 6. Heat the oil in an ovenproof pan that has a lid and fry the meat until browned (you may need to do this in batches), remove from the pan.

Add the aubergine and brown (you may need a little extra oil), remove from the pan and put with the pork.

Now add the sugar to the pan and allow to caramelise slightly, then return  the meat and aubergine to the pan with the cinnamon and star anise.

Put the onions, ginger, most of the chili (reserving a little for garnishing) and the chopped coriander stalks into the pan and cook for a couple of minutes. Add the fish sauce and enough water to cover the mixture completely.

Cover and place in the oven for an hour. Remove, stir in most of the coriander and adjust the seasoning if necessary. Garnish with any remaining coriander and chili and serve with boiled rice and vegetables.

For a vegetarian version, omit the pork, and replace with a mixture of robust mushrooms such as brown chestnut and shitake. Substitute the fish sauce with a light soy sauce.

Inspired by a BBC Good Food recipe

26 Responses to “Melting Spiced Pork with Aubergine”

1. cookinginsens December 1, 2016 at 15:43 #

Spiced pork and aubergine. Can’t lose 🙂

2. Mad Dog December 1, 2016 at 21:08 #

That’s so dark it almost looks like beef!
    I’ve been to the Spanish dentist for Inquisition treatment today (which is what I told him), so I’d better cook some pork to build up immunity 😉

• Chica Andaluza December 1, 2016 at 22:07 #

Eek…I need to find a Spanish dentist for Big Man (we already have a Spanish doctor)! Hope it doesn’t hurt too much 😓

• Mad Dog December 1, 2016 at 22:20 #

This time it was good.
        Good luck with finding a Spanish dentist on the south coast. If it becomes a problem you’ll have to introduce him to mine!

3. restlessjo December 2, 2016 at 21:11 #

Sounds promising, Tanya! I did your pork and peppers last Sunday lunchtime and we thoroughly enjoyed it. I probably didn’t follow it exactly but it was good. Will try this one next week. 🙂 🙂 Have a great weekend!

• Chica Andaluza December 2, 2016 at 21:33 #

Oh I’m so pleased you tried it and made it your own! I loved this one with aubergines as I’m a big fan 😀

• restlessjo December 2, 2016 at 21:36 #

Me too! Just got to convince the husband 🙂

• Chica Andaluza December 2, 2016 at 22:06 #

I have the same issue here but this one went down well!

4. Tandy | Lavender and Lime December 5, 2016 at 06:50 #

Love the spices you have used here 🙂

5. Rachel December 6, 2016 at 01:23 #

Oh mmmm – this sounds dreamy! I’ll let you know when I make it!

6. themateriallady December 6, 2016 at 10:40 #

Your last recipe was such a success in our house I will definitely be giving this one a try!

• Chica Andaluza December 6, 2016 at 11:20 #

I need to put you on the payroll…if I had one 😎

• themateriallady December 6, 2016 at 18:34 #

A one woman cheer squad! (Although I’m sure I wouldn’t be alone for long 😉).

7. ChgoJohn December 8, 2016 at 07:31 #

Recently, Conor shared a recipe for curried lamb with melanzane and I enjoyed it. I bet this dish you’ve shared will be another I’d enjoy. Cooking the melanzane low and slow is a very rewarding way to go. When cooked in conjunction with pork belly, the dish must be a real treat. Cannot wait to try it. Thanks, Tanya!

• Chica Andaluza December 8, 2016 at 10:04 #

Ooh I need to check out Conor’s recipe! I’m a big aubergine fan 😀

8. Karen December 9, 2016 at 22:44 #

This is a very different and delicious sounding dish…I really like eggplant.

• Chica Andaluza December 9, 2016 at 23:00 #

Ooh I need to check out Conor’s recipe! I’m a big aubergine fan 😀

• Chica Andaluza December 9, 2016 at 23:01 #

Oops message to Chgo John went to you I think! This was a different and delicious way to cook the eggplant. ..really enjoyed it!

9. Frank Fariello December 10, 2016 at 15:23 #

This sounds really nice. Vaguely Mahgrebian sounding–or a dish you invented? Either way, it must be delicious. 🙂

10. agnesstramp December 15, 2016 at 03:24 #

Such an easy and quick meal to prepare. Love spiced pork with rice!

11. Pink Queen December 30, 2016 at 05:15 #

It looks delicious, are you a chef?:D

12. baguus44 February 26, 2017 at 02:55 #