Vanilla Scented Apple and Sultana Cake

15 Dec

I’m a lazy cake baker. Probably because I’d generally prefer to eat something savoury or spicy. Even for dessert! But there are times when the cake baking urge takes over and I give in. Usually with very little grace and I bake something wonderfully simple like Banana Bread. Recently I came across a small portion of stewed apple in one of my periodic freezer tidy ups (Christmas is looming and I need to make space!). It was 150ml and I  suspect I had put it aside to eat with porridge over a couple of mornings.

20161206_181823

I guessed that the 4 small mashed ripe bananas in the banana bread recipe were probably about the same volume as the stewed apples, and ignoring all the Mary Berry warnings about fruit adding liquid to cakes and causing all sorts of potential hazards, I ploughed ahead regardless. I made a few small changes to the original recipe, cooked it at a slightly higher temperature, and voila,  a lovely light and fragrant cake. Sometimes you just have to push the rules to their limits.

The cake has the same moist and slightly dense texture of banana bread, very filling!

Ingredients (to fit a 9″ × 5″ lined loaf tin)

• 100g of sultanas soaked in your favourite tea (I used a lovely rooibus with vanilla gifted to me by the even lovelier Mandy over at The Complete Book), then drained and cooled
  • 175g self raising flour mixed with ½ teaspoon salt
  • 60ml olive oil (or use vegetable oil)
  • 150g sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 150g stewed apples
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 190 degrees (fan) or 200 conventional oven

Mix the oil with the sugar then add the eggs one by one. Next stir in the apple followed by the sultanas and vanilla extract.

Mix in the flour and salt (you don’t need to be too gentle, it’s a very resilient cake mix) and pour into a lined loaf tin.

Bake for about an hour, covering with foil towards the end if it’s browning too quickly. It should be gently browned on top and a skewer  or sharp knife inserted into the middle should come out clean.  Cool for about 10 minutes in the tin then remove to a cooling rack and resist for as long as you can then enjoy with a cup of your favourite tea or coffee!

24 Responses to “Vanilla Scented Apple and Sultana Cake”

1. Cecilia Mary Gunther December 16, 2016 at 00:39 #

What a wonderful idea to soak the sultanas in tea! This cake does look divine and i love the words scented in the title.. it makes it sound so inviting!

• Chica Andaluza December 16, 2016 at 10:56 #

Ah thanks Celia…the vanilla is indeed stronger in the scent than the flavour. And I love the word “scented”😀

2. Mad Dog December 16, 2016 at 12:58 #

My eyes read sultanas and soaked …and my brain thought brandy! 🙂

• Chica Andaluza December 16, 2016 at 16:52 #

Oh yes, a soak in brandy would be good!

• Mad Dog December 16, 2016 at 21:18 #

I once considered catching wild ducks with brandy soaked fruit – I thought they might follow a trail into the back garden and fall asleep…

3. Rachel December 16, 2016 at 18:05 #

This sounds dandy – you know I hate to waste *anything* so kudos for repurposing the apples! 🙂 Oh, and – finally got some pork belly today and it is supposed to be very (VERY) cold here Sunday so… I’ll let you know what I think but I’m pretty sure it’l be delicious!!

4. narf7 December 16, 2016 at 19:25 #

Clever girl. A delicious way to use up leftovers and something eminently good to have with a mug of coffee or tea. I like the idea of soaking the fruit in tea and I like the idea of soaking it in booze also. Either way “SCORE!” 10 kudos points ma’am 🙂

5. PendleStitches December 16, 2016 at 19:29 #

Recipe printed off and ready to go. I love banana bread but this looks like an amazing alternative. And lazy baking is perfect at this busy time of year! Thanks for experimenting and sharing.

6. thecompletebook December 17, 2016 at 15:42 #

Thank you for the lovely mention dear Tanya. I am so pleased you are enjoying the rooibos tea. I shall have to mail some more to you.
    I will definitely be making your fabulous recipe soon.
    Have a happy day.
    🙂 Mandy xo

7. themateriallady December 18, 2016 at 17:34 #

That looks like a very good alternative to the regular banana brea. I know I have Apple puree in the freezer so I’m just about ready.

8. Karen December 18, 2016 at 21:16 #

Pushing the rules can be a good thing when you have results like this.

• Karen December 25, 2016 at 18:04 #

I wanted to stop back by and wish you, Big Man and your family Merry Christmas.

• Karen January 1, 2017 at 23:12 #

Wishing you and Big Man a wonderful New Year.

9. restlessjo December 18, 2016 at 22:59 #

The cake sounds wonderful but I hate Rooibus, Tanya 🙂 I’d have to improvise.
    Wishing you a wonderful Christmas! We all know the food will be great 🙂

10. Teresa Blackburn December 21, 2016 at 03:24 #

A great twist on the classic banana bread and I want to try your recipe. I like the addition of apples very much. Happy Holidays.

11. Wildlife Tours December 22, 2016 at 09:59 #

Formula printed off and prepared to go. I cherish cocoa bread yet this resembles an astounding option…

12. restlessjo December 26, 2016 at 08:58 #

Sorry I didn’t stop by to wish you Feliz Navidad, Tanya. 🙂 I hope it was a good one.

• Chica Andaluza December 26, 2016 at 17:10 #

It was thank you! All good wishes to you and your family too 😀

13. GROSIR BAJU ANAK BRANDED December 27, 2016 at 05:38 #

looks good once you cook bread, use a banana as one of the ingredients to make it, very noticeably fragrant banana, indeed arouse my appetite.

14. Rachel January 2, 2017 at 01:20 #